Rate & Review: "The Longest Marge" (UABF05)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
vs6XFOs.png

Season 33, Episode 11
Original Airdate
: January 2, 2022 * SPECIAL AIRTIME OF 9pm EASTERN / PACIFIC *

Writer & Showrunner
: Brian Kelley
Director: Matthew Nastuk
Supervising Showrunner: Matt Selman

Synopsis: Marge and Mr. Burns fight for the soul of a brash young football prodigy.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.81 / 5 (as of September 24, 2022 / 31 votes)
IMDb User Rating: 5.8 / 10

Last edited:
I got to admit, this episode wasn't really too bad. Although, it still was kind of a bit crazy, probably because of the football game in there. 3/5

Pretty good episode. At first I thought the episode was going to be sort of like The Lastest Gun in the West, where the celebrity’s troubles would dog him throughout the episode, but I’m glad it took a different turn to where the Simpsons family coddles him. At first, his character definitely turned me off, but I got to like his personality in the second act when he sort of became a grown child because he had been raised on football. The final act where Grayson brought up his fiancée and shunned both Marge and Burns was good for a chuckle, and I liked that it showed he wouldn’t be under Burns’ influence, nor would he be coddled anymore. I thought some of the digs at sports and sports fandom were good too. I’ll give it a low 4/5.

Aw, it was honestly better than I expected.

They decided to make the episode mainly satirical and for that, congratulations. It feels nice to see that they actually care about communicating something and that they didn't just write an episode around a single joke or because they thought of something silly that hasn't been done before.
The beginning was maybe a bit too brief in my opinion. We're directly introduced to the new character & the topic of sport without really understanding what's going on in the first place. Feels like we don't have time to breathe. That doesn't really bother me and such expositions aren't new, but a bit of development could have been nice.

I liked the riot part. That's a good way to mock how some people overreact to sports and how it spreads to the point of becoming a riot with no real motive. I also enjoyed when they tackled sports scholarships and their legitimacy as well as forcing children to follow a very competitive career path at a young age, in the hope it'd materialise. Both topics didn't feel too forced and that's a plus. Media looking for controversy was also obvious but smoothly done. At least, it was more realistic than in the Princess Guide in which media are just portrayed as stupid.

When it comes to characterisation, I'd say the result is mixed. For once, Lisa & Bart truly behaved like kids and not adults trapped in kids' bodies (Lisa saying stuff like "so it means you've never seen your parents" or Bart sharing information on social media about little details concerning Grayson.) Homer was pretty absent throughout the episode and honestly, he wasn't needed. Marge acted like a mother figure and overall like an adult and that's good to see.
However, as I expected, Burns was just deplorable, but not in an entertaining way. I don't know if their goal was to recapture Burns' intelligent schemes or intimidating behaviour but I hope it wasn't the case because it just sucked. "Booh booh, Marge, there will be dire consequences"/"Marge what have you done?". Seriously? I don't understand why Burns would be so obsessed with Grayson not behaving like a "bad boy" anymore. As long as the public likes him, he wins. At this point, he's just being evil because he has to (and "evil" is a big word because nothing about it was convincing.) Burns' absence of credible motives made me question his presence in this episode. Was he really necessary for the plot? Considering the ending, I don't think so.

In general, Burns/Marge interactions were just plain boring. They took the most obvious personality traits about the two characters and turned them into dialogues: "- Mr Burns, you're selfish. / - Marge, you're too nice." Yeah, great development here. When Marge said "enemies forever" at the end, I just knew where this was going: they hate each other because of a guy, this guy ends up deserting both of them, so we have a nice status quo and there are no consequences whatsoever in their relationship. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh? The "divorce" type of dispute could have been funny, but it led to absolutely nothing so it just felt like a waste of time.
The relationship between Burns and Grayson could have been a bit more developed and they sounded pretty awkward together as well. In a way, it reminded me of the Great Phatsby. But again, for a 20-minute episode, they did what they could.

Some jokes weren't particularly funny. Like Burns not drinking liquor. It has been done through several variations before and they weren't particularly funny either.
But the worst thing about the humour is that, as it often happens, they overexplain it. Grayson only knowing generic falsely confident lines was genuinely funny, but no, Homer had to re-explain those. "Hey, Grayson IS himself", yes, we're watching the same episode, we understood that it's witty, you don't need to shove it down our throats. The same goes for Grayson failing and Homer immediately hating on him. That was already funny, a good way to mock people changing sides when it comes to their favourite celebrities, no need for Marge to say "but Homer??? You like him????" five times. And I could share other examples of overexplained jokes in this episode but you understood.

I love how they handled what I think to be the most interesting issue in this episode: identity. That's a pretty common topic for sure, but I liked it (well, until the ending).
Seeing a man, who was raised in "fake positivity" ("Am I, like, a loser?/"Doing you is what you do best"), realising that eventually being "himself" is meaningless was interesting. This idea that despite trying to "be yourself", you're simply not enough was something I wish they spent more time on. The concept that being yourself also means you have to be there for other people ("do others" as they said) was a cute way to put it into words! The only thing I didn't like about Grayson interacting with the Simpsons was Lisa being a life coach in the montage scene. Helping someone doesn't mean you supervise them but it didn't last long so why not. Grayson saying "I have a family now" was also a bit too stereotypical since I thought the main thing here was to teach Grayson that his image wasn't his entire identity instead of just finding him a new household but I guess it was meant to introduce the "divorce scene" later on so I guess that was okay.

I know this gets mentioned pretty much every time but in this episode, it was considerably worse: the voice acting. I'm not blaming the cast for ageing (that'd be ridiculous), but I can't help noticing that Harry Shearer has never sounded that off. I don't even know if it's because he genuinely doesn't care anymore or if he's really struggling, but in any case, that's super sad. The worse scene when it comes to this was the parodying divorce scene between Burns and Marge. The characters are moving around, punching walls, being theatrical, and yet Julie Kavner and Harry Shearer sounded extremely monotonous. I don't want to make a fuss of it or what but at some point, it even prevented me from getting into the episode. Jeez. Even Dan Castellaneta sounded different.

But eventually, considering the criticism of the sports industry or the media, what is the conclusion of this episode? I don't claim it doesn't have one, but I don't really see it. The last scene ended so abruptly. That was cynical for sure, but being cynical doesn't mean your episode will become brilliant. It worked for some other episodes before, but here I don't get it. Like, what was your point? Eventually, the character we learnt to love will never stand up for himself? Easily influenced people can't be saved?

In general, this episode had nice ideas but the execution tended to be a tad clumsy. But for what it tried to accomplish, I'd say it's still a good episode.

For now, that's a 6.5/10

PS: The part where Burns says "well, I guess we'll just have to find a celebrity now" felt like the show was criticising itself. I don't know if it was intentional but it made me smile.

Last edited:
Well.. This was an interesting episode,

First, Burns sounded worse here, I noticed it in an earlier episode, Portrait of a Lackey on Fire, where I thought both him and Smithers sounded different.

I didn't love Grayson, I thought Beck did a good job voicing him but I thought he could have fit the simpsons mold a little better. I can't quite come up with the right words to describe it but guest star characters always feel foreign tome.

I did enjoy some of the Marge and Burns scenes, it was like a marriage crisis episode with a twist. I think the issue I have with it is that it didn't establish enough of a father son relationship between Grayson and Burns for me to believe Burns really cared about it.

So in the end we had an episode that tried and came up somewhat short due to time constraint. Still a good effort.

3/5

I dunno, I think for worst voices this episode, I'd vote Milhouse. I don't know what that delivery was meant to be

Marge is playing a concession/cigarette girl and since it's such an old concept they gave Milhouse a 1920s voice. It's a weird bit

This was a pretty cute episode NGL. Kinda ended abruptly the ride up until that point and all the sweet moments between Marge and Grayson make it worth the ride. 5/5

It was a well-written episode that I, very sadly, found it impossible to enjoy because of how rough Marge and Burns sounded. As the two main regulars in the episode, it was a constant distraction. There were times I wasn’t even processing their dialogue because I was so thrown by how strained and lifeless their voices sounded. It’s the first time I’ve watched a new episode and felt there is truly no going back to classic Simpsons. Even with top notch writing, time and aging are unstoppable forces.

This was a pretty decent and enjoyable episode. I think that the premise itself (that of Marge & Mr. Burns both acting as parental substitute figures for this up & coming popular and very childlike young american football player) didn't sound like anything all that interesting when I first saw the plot description, but I think that it did become an entertaining one in the end after all. The story was told well, did include some nice satire on football and how celebrities are used to promote various wine & liquor brands, had some nice scenes and conflict with Mr. Burns & Marge & the football player himself, Grayson, was a fairly decent character, though it didn't quite come together as well as I had hoped, never really clicking that well nor being all that funny, but as a whole it was all right.

It had a nice and brisk start, with the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant seemingly deserted but turning out to be the employees, Homer & friends included, watching the start of the football season in the rec room (which introduced Grayson nicely as the big, new star as the new guy in the horrible Springfield team) and the Mr. Burns plot started well with him learning (from Warburton Parker) that he should use a celeb to endorse his brandy (an amusing little scene, plus it felt natural someone like Burns would have his own liquor). Of course, the outspoken and not too bright Grayson is chosen & I wish there'd be a scene where Burns approaches him, since they just cut to the commercial being done (their interactions were nice, but I didn't completely buy Burns as his mentor-"father").

The big game scenes was decent as well, with some nice humor from how the Springfielder's take sports way too seriously and aggressively (just like with their happy town riot at the initial scene of the eisode), Grayson being drunk and useless on the field and being pelted (along with his ward Burns) with the Springfield team's paraphenelia (and while Homer felt obnoxious with his jerk attitude here I still thought he was pretty funny, though the pelting got a little dragged out). I generally though the story got better with the duo's visit to the school, with Marge coming into the picture & Grayson freaking out due to the bullies starting their demeaning chanting (and he makes an aggressive scene, throwing books and the kids and chugs more brandy & gwts urethra pains, ridiculous but also funny).

I enjoyed the scenes with Marge & Grayson, with her becoming his mother figure (while Burns handles the rest), inviting him home for dinner and then allowing him to stay, as to get to experience how it is to be in a family. It had s0me surprisingly neat and kinda emotional (yet amusing) scenes but also some funny moments (Bart fighting Grayson due to the latter stealing a steak & Lisa yelling at them to go at it some more, being like "WTF I love football now!" was hilarious). I also like the montage with Grayson helping out and learning to be nice guy (with Marge being a good influence as opposed to Burns), plus his tale of being sent away to a football college as a toddler & never actually meeting his parents) was so perfectly ridiculous it just worked as his backstory.

Then we have Burns' conflict with Marge due to how Grayson isn't an aggressive jerk anymore but a nice guy due to making him an actual "mama's boy" (while it was a little silly he'd make such a fuss and Marge his sworn enemy for such a thing, it was understandable since naturally, the evil and greedy Burns would see the loss of the brash, hotheaded & cool Grayson a loss for his liquor brand). I think the conflict itself was good (sort of like a nature vs. nurture thing), but I felt it was fairly uninteresting and nothing was really done with it, but the scenes with Grayson did make it a little more interesting (and amusing, despite the character himself being a little up & down humor-wise), culminating with him leaving due to their fighting (and the ferrari joke paid off, I gues?).

The finale with Marge being invited to a sports award ceremony and finding out Burns had been invited too was decent (amusing how it was they are being parents who split up and being manipulated into getting along by their kid), with Grayson winning the award and revealing his new inspiration, his fiancee whom he met just some days ago and now is his business manager (kind of a neat twist, if out of nowhere). I like the irony of them replaced by another one who holds his reins, but maybe felt a little too cynical, Grayson came off unlikeable (getting them into the seats only to show that "I replaced you guys!") & it ended somewhat abruptly. I guess I'd have liked a bit more of an emotional note (maybe at least giving Marge some kudos?) as it felt like it was all played too much as a joke.

3/5 (from 2.5/5). Very meh episode. Decent pacing, generally good direction and animation (though that bit with Marge giving out books to the kids at school was really weirdly choppy) and an technically a decently written story, but was very uneven (especially with the humor, but also the Marge vs. Burns conflict which never really felt like it amounted to something) and had some more issues as well (such as Grayson looking like an ungrateful jerk who learned nothing in the end & the vocal performances for Marge and Burns felt subpar. The latter really stood out negatively), but overall, it was least a kinda interesting viewing, but very mediocre and a jarring in places.

Last edited:
The episode was quite mash up (and I think it'll become forgettable for me very soon).
I don't like Burns' presenting of Grayson: rude big walking "just football" man, but I really liked the Marge's side. The latter was revealed in act 2, my favorite part. I almost cried over Grayson's backstory and his acts to become part of any family - the honest ordinary successful guy🥺.

But the solution - act 3 where for some reason Marge and Burns shown as *cough* marriage couple - didn't impressed me (I understood it, though).

I like some really great jokes - almost all were in act 2 only:oops:
LATE EDIT: aside from:
the joke about the only celebrities, who haven't film in alcohol advertisement yet in act 1
Marge throws Lisa with the ball gag in act 3 - I used to dislike it in promos, but eventually it laughed me :D
3/5 (very lifted up from strong 2.5) so far in the future I will rewatch, and my view on episode will probably changed

P.S. I don't interested in American/European football, but the football itself part was ok

Last edited:
I'm a big football fan so I really enjoyed this episode. The only thing I didn't like was the ending seem a bit sudden. 4/5

I was expecting more but instead I got less. There was some potential but it got bogged down by too much of Marge's parenting. Also, I think Homer should at least got a punch in the face. He did start that crowd booing at Grayson and yelling Buzz, buzz... and never gotten any comeuppance. He should have. Grayson was better off as a bad boy. Seeing him as a Momma's boy was just cringeworthy. They used Homer less and that's a plus. I agree that Lisa and Bart behaved like real kids and not adults in kids' bodies. ( I hate that!) Lisa getting hit with a football was funny. I'm glad Grayson thanked his fiancee and not Marge and Burns. They were annoying together. I hope the next episode will be better. 2.5

I thought this was kind of just there. Only joke I really loved was Marge accidentally hitting Lisa with the ball after calling herself a good parent. I thought Burns sounded alright but Marge sounds rough. The ending was weird, but I think that even the premise felt contrived. The way the both of them got into the sport's guy's life was convenient. I'd probably give this a 2/5.

Just thought I'd point out that the review thread over at the Simpsons Reddit is up since a few days ago (seems like the moderator over there forgot about the season returning on January 2nd).

A good example of using the best material in the trailers.

It actually took me this long to force myself to watch without skimming. I just.. can't care. It's a guest-star centric ep and I just can't care about that. At all. When most of the cast is misused, or constantly abused, I really can't force myself to give a rat's ass about some uncanny looking one-timer. If I never see realistic eyebrows+facial hair on a character again, it'll be too soon...

Not even like I'm saying "all things that have a one-timer based episode are bad" been slowly going through Batman the Animated Series recently but and "It's Never Too Late" might even be one of my faves so far. But uh, this ain't Batman TAS. Maybe if characters were used better (and not just the possibly-underage-"hawt" teen or the probable-incest fetish ones) or if it was something that felt like it added to the setting at least, I could've gotten into it?

It was pretty dull either way but for me, it was pretty doomed to fail. Also like, that one bit with Marge and Mr Burns ("you're a monster and you're wining, that bit) felt jarringly over-animated, it just bothered me I guess.

But I guess there wasn't anything offensively horrible so 2/5 it is

A decent episode that somewhat exceeded my expectations. I consider it a big strength if they can focus most of the episode on a new character that is mostly likeable and well written. Funny thing is that this new Grayson character is getting about as much praise as Lady Gaga got in her episode, but unlike her they worked much better with Grayson by going with a whole different direction. Though if we consider raising Grayson as an adult-like kid by Marge/Burns as the running gag of the entire episode it kind of feels like a lite South Park episode. Its their thing to make fun of celebrities and mostly drag the same gag to carry the episode, in this case raising Grayson and having him move on as a grown adult.

The opening is pretty much introducing Grayson to the world in which Carl jokes that they witnessed the most beautiful birth in the world... of a football dynasty. Burns has a problem of his own where he can't get his liquor sold and hires Grayson to help him advertise. We also see more of his spoiled and brat-like behaviour and lifestyle. This caused him to blow his football match and gets saved by Mr Burns. I like how Grayson lashes out to the kids he's supposed to make a good example for. Marge offers to do some parenting which he seemingly needs.

The second half is basically all about raising Grayson by both Burns and Marge. Apparently he was raised with just football. He starts a little fight with Bart and I like how he gets treated as if he were Bart's older brother. The montage with him living with the Simpsons is pretty funny. Really like how Burns doesn't agree with marge raising Grayson as a momma's boy and they start with the gags as if they were his parents. The scene with Burns and Marge argue'ing was kinda hard to watch with how raspy their voices started to sound.

In the final act Burns and Marge are brought back together to work out their differences. Grayson is glad to announce his new girlfriend and now moves as a grown man.. after two weeks of raising. The ending was pretty fast and not much special.

Overall its a good watch but it doesn't come without its flaws. It had a good single plot where I liked the execution of Graysons character, but the story itself was nothing special and relied too much on the same gags. It managed to be pretty funny at places and I liked most of the family's involvement. Pacing could have been a bit better and I wanted more out of the ending which felt rather abrupt.

3.5/5

Bleh. Weak plot, didn't even seem to be trying to be funny a lot of the time, next episode please. D

What a strange episode? Was it a satire on spoooor… professional footbaaa… marriage criiii… stupid title pun? Oh, yes, that was a stupid title pun episode.:boring:

I'm sure that came not from little knowledge of American football football in USA culture. Bad is bad anyway.

The allegory not Marge and Burns as married couple was one of the weirdest techniques writers ever used (and never used before). Brrr…:facepalm:

Again, act 2 with portraiting of lovely family statement was good as well as Grayson's backstory. Moreover, during rewatch now I find good moments in act 1 and that "be yourself" thing. But it seemed like then writers confused themselves with the story direction and put whatever. This partly can be understood by strange humour of Brian Kelly's episodes😮‍💨. By the way, there was lack of really funny jokes here - ok gags at maximum (again Lisa thrown by a ball)

So, a conclusion: for the future please don't write guest star character-centered scripts. Nowadays this doesn't work anymore.

plot 10/25
absurdity (the possibility of what is happening and whether I liked it) 21/25
comedy 11/25
originality (level of references and whether I liked them) 22/25

TOTAL 64/100 (3/5, uptaken from 2.5, with rounding, or C) MEDIOCRE!

What a weird watch this was. Overall it felt like a stronger episode to me than A Made Maggie but only due to the story. Most of the jokes in this one came up duds. I only really ended up laughing at the opposing football team getting back on the bus early.

That being said, nice to see this be an American Football themed show. I don't know when was the last time that it's been this prominent a fixture in a Simpsons episode, but it was pretty refreshing to see. Thought it was all pretty well paced until the last 5 minutes or so and then it ends too abruptly.

This episode had some nice bits in it though. I quite liked the kids being kids at the dinner table, and the slightly off kilter decision to have Snowball II rest on Barts face after he gets knocked around by Grayson. It still catches me off guard just how animated the characters get now in more recent seasons. Was not expecting that Lisa getting bounced away from the football joke or that delayed reaction from Marge being repulsed that Mr. Burns was holding her hand. Neither of them worked jokes wise, but they were nicely animated.

Hopefully somebody can fill me in, but that scene where Mr. Burns comes to the Simpsons house and accuses Marge of turning Grayson soft, there's a weird shakey cam effect for both him and Marge arguing. Is that meant to be a reference to something? Or is it just there because...? I found it quite distracting.

3/5

I’m not sure what I’d actually rate this episode, but I have to admit I have a soft spot for it just because the whole dynamic between Burns and Marge was one of my favorites of the classic series and I hadn’t seen it in a while.

Back