Rate/Review "The Haw-Hawed Couple" (JABF02)

How would you rate tonight's episode?

• Total voters

Mike Scully

and now i have slapped a king
After Bart convinces all his friends not to go to Nelsons birthday party, Marge forces him to attend. After the party, Bart becomes Nelson's new best friend and under Nelson's protection no one dares to mess with Bart. There's only drawback to his newfound friend/bodyguard; he can no longer pal around with Milhouse. So when the bully catches him on an illicit rendezvous with Millhouse, Bart begins to fear for his safety." Meanwhile, Homer find a hobbie. It's reading Lisa's Fantasy books. Homer reads Lisa to sleep and debates on whether to reveal the book's sad ending to her.

5/5 There were some good parodies in there, and lots of great humour. Every character was done [relatively ]very well. I really enjoyed the writing for Homer, Marge, and (especially) Lisa. Overall a very enjoyable episode, with a sweet ending. --Chasfh reminded me (the post is on the next page) about the little b-word bit. That got a chuckle out of me, and I liked how they didn't make it overly obvious, but still let even the knumb-skulls know what was meant.

Last edited:
That episode was excellent until the part where Skinner gave Bart CPR. Easily the best episode of the season.

Homer and Lisa's sub-plot was excellent. I was worried that they would get too silly or would waste too much time on trivial things, but it was executed perfectly.

4.5/5. The ending of the Bart/Nelson plot pulled it down.

Galalimit, why the 1/5? It'd be nice to hear why you feel this way instead of just guessing. Why did you feel it was so terrible? Why is it a pile of garbage that you have absolutely no interest in?

Last edited:
If you ask me, I'm giving this episode above-average grade because of very solid sub-plot. We may've not seen much of the new production line yet (wait, this is the first one), but it's off to a good start. (Only thing that I didn't like about the animation is that Nelson looks fatter than the classic era)
Plot was good, but I didn't like octopus snatching the oxygen tank away from Bart and an idea of person almost dying from drowning has become familiar to me since 'Homer's Paternity Coot' (pure unrealistic. That pulled the episode down). That's the only flaw of the plot for me. Sub-plot was great (Homer/Lisa) as the writer did a good job on Homer's characterization on his loving child. There were some good lines ("Milk is from cow wang")

4.5/5

5/5 or A. A great way to enter the JABF series! I liked the opening and the subplot reminded me of Harry Potter. Although it didn't have a strong ending, I have a really good feeling about the new production line. Worthy of being called a classic.

Will you please piss off already. It's bad enough you bugged me about this in PM's, now you're doing it here. Please fuck off. I don't have to answer to you or explain anything to you.
Well, if your going to give an otherwise praised episode a 1/5, you should at least be ready to give a small explanation.

Unless, of course, you didn't see it...

Galalimit said:
Will you please piss off already. It's bad enough you bugged me about this in PM's, now you're doing it here. Please fuck off. I don't have to answer to you or explain anything to you.

:lol:

I really liked that a lot, best in recent memory. There were a few weak jokes in act 1, but eh. It felt sweet, without any cynicism.

A-

An alright episode. Few laugh-worthy jokes, but there wasn't any real bad ones either. Loved the Brokeback ending though. 3/5

Galalimit said:

Dude, calm the fuck down, he was just curious.

Anyway, I don't really know what there was I didn't like about this episode. I guess it felt a little slow at points, but overall this was definately the best episode of the season. It really shows that it was written by Matt Selman as he seems like the most talented member on the staff these days. The last one I enjoyed as much as this was probably the seemingly neverending story, and that was have way through last season. If this production code shows the quality of this episode throughout(which I'm almost positive it won't), then I will be appeased. Here's hoping.

9/10

2/5 C-

Bleh. I laughed geniunely only once the entire episode. New Production line? So what? This episode sucked balls. :angry: They are quite aways away from good. Not a whole lot of cringeworthy jokes but this was boring, uninspired and forced throughout. And who saw a little jerkass Marge?

They could have done without the stupid Homer B-plot and built on the Nelson A-plot. But that's Jean-era laziness for ya. ;-/

I can see your Doodle said:
Unless, of course, you didn't see it...
Oh my. :D
I always love when they end with something over the credits. Its nice because they can end with a gag yet still have a sweet ending because the over the credits stuff doesn't really count... if that makes any sense.

Awesome episode. Had some great humor in it and well played parodies. the end credits with Homer crying over Graystache was the icing on the cake for a great episode. This season is getting a lot better and i think its one of the best in a long time.

"HAHA!! I touched your heart!"

Awesome!

I give this very high marks. The plots worked together nicely and they had clever and interesting endings. Nelson's last comment that he touched Bart's heart was a great combination of humor and emotion.

A new Classic episode! Funny and entertaining! I just added a Nelson Vest to my Santa's wish list. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to light a candle for Prof Graystache
Pray4mo.gif

Last edited:
One word: Awesome. It felt like nothing this season, which is what made it so great. Maybe it's too soon after, but I think this may be the best Nelson episode.

5/5

Deleted. Sorry, I was just angry. My bad.

Last edited:
Looks like Carolyn Omine only a consultant now (only three exectutive producers in the beginning credits). And Chris Clements is the director. Looks like someone new, the only new name.

Marge bonked the kids with a little bit of wood, even what you call "Jerkass Marge" was a character who showed a laughable amount of restraint. Not out of character at all.

Why is season 16 the example of "pro Jean bias"? If there were any at all, wouldn't it have been in seasons 13-14?

Galalimit said:
Agree completely with you man. Sadly though, it looks like were the only ones who see this though.

Unfortunately, it looks like the board is reverting back to the "Pro Jean Bias" bullshit that went on here in season 16. Oh man, here we go again :(
At least he actually gave some sort of reasoning for his rating.

Jerry P. said:
Looks like Carolyn Omine only a consultant now (only three exectutive producers in the beginning credits). And Chris Clements is the director. Looks like someone new, the only new name.

Actually he also directed Season 14's "Dude, Where's My Ranch".

4/5.

A few clunkers in the first act, but other than that it was one of the strongest episodes I've seen in a long time. One thing I did like about the first act was the fact that some of the almost never-seen children were prominant in a few parts, and even had some lines. The "******" lone could have been really bad, but the dictionary thing on the bottom of the screen saved it a little for me. The ending with Bart and Nelson getting flodded was a bit iffy, but it managed to work.

The subplot was really good. I liked seeing Homer not only actually interested in Lisa, but the plot didn't turn into "Homer lets Lisa down, and she gets angry at him". The conclusion was a tiny bit anti-climactic, but it still worked.

Far and away the best of the year. I loved the Goodfellas Copa club spoof. "To live any other way was just NUTS!"

Aside from the sharp dialogue, a key reason I think this episode rates classic status is, with the exception of the rescue from drowning, anything occurring in the episode could have plausibly happened. There was nothing outlandish that would have rendered it utterly unbelievable, and given that maybe two-thirds of the Simpsons episodes in the last five years have relied on that very device, it's very refreshing.

Back