Rate & Review: "The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds" (ZABF14)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
I made a mistake. I underestimated this episode before it aired. After all, it was a Lisa-gets-a-Friend episode penned by Joel H. Cohen. I've read live-tweets, I've read some reviews and I spoiled myself. What an error. This was worthy of watching and of rewatching in the near future. It definitely was one of the nicest surprises this season.
U5IhcYB.jpg

Maybe this worked because Lisa doesn't crawl to have a friend?

After Homer takes the mailbox into the house because it brought weeks without being emptied –which was clever enough to initiate the story–, Lisa receives a letter from Addy, her new friend, to attend her birthday. The Simpsons family, as well as me, wondered how and when Lisa made a friend. They didn't recall too much for the details of the beginning of their relationship except for a little memory told by Lisa when she reveals that Addy is a girl she knew in a Library, who has similar tastes to her, including the Gallop Girls book's saga and, consequently, horses in general. They maintain a nice relationship during the birthday until we knew the other invited: three rich, malevolent, and snobby girls. They are mainly the typical girls of nowadays who belonged to the high-society that only care about social media, reputation, and popularity, and whose vocabulary is limited to modern expressions and trending topics. All three of them basically represent the same model of a character although their recurring grace differed from one of the other. They fit in the role of the antagonist because they are also deliberately mean people more than just the artificial archetype of the rich teenager. Furthermore, they bully Lisa in a really tough way, laughing about the gift she bought, humiliating her in social networks, stealing her phone. I've read some of you were not affected by it but I personally felt sorry for Lisa and I found the situation really desperately for the girl. It may be torture sharing a sleepover with people with only bad intentions. They are good characters if a bit annoying, and they have some amusing comments, like "she's trying to influence you, and she's not even monetizing it", and situations, like the "you need to calm down" sequence.
3gSYUgv.jpg

Taking into account how important is the appearance for these girls, this was the Best. Revenge. Ever.

Lisa and Addy's friendship was not pre-eminent. That's not a complaint nonetheless, because the focus was not on their bonding but in their individualities and personalities for separate. Addy was one of those characters that have two opposite facets. She has an innocent, tender side that resembles her to Lisa, destroying that stereotype of the rich-mean-snobby girl, whereas on her other version she wishes to be part of a group composed precisely by rich-mean-snobby girls. I loved her even if I am not sure if she can qualify as a nice or a bad person. After all, she was indifferent to Lisa's suffering until the very end where she takes the correct decision when Lisa was finally able to reach her first status again. Addy's brightest moment was the one when she confessed her sinister plan to Lisa. Joey King's acting was incredible, and it showed off the best of Addy/Addison and the different personalities she can adopt. It's a shame we surely are not gonna watch her again. For her part, Lisa plays a sad role here, being a victim of bullying and affronting a complicated night in a sleepover with her apparent friend who betrayed her and with the other three bad educated girls, realizing activities that she is not used to doing, like watching adults TV shows or make braids, while the things she considers attractive are motive to laugh at. Even if it was a cruel situation, at least it feels different than the average story that this kind of episode is used to offer. It was funny how Lisa's options to escape were discarded until her last salvation was Bart. Neither sending messages to Homer –which arrived with fuzzy indications– nor talking with the party-planner –who also was humiliated by the squad– were helpful options. They were really smart at the time to explain why Lisa was trapped there.
THVyPE5.jpg

Inviting a girl to your birthday just to be excluded from seems a bit unforgivable, right?

The most enjoyable aspect of the episode exceeded Lisa's new friendship and enmities. Surprisingly, what I loved the most about it was Bart. This season, oppositely to the recent trend, did a great work characterizing Bart. He was in his most classic mood, being a rebel yet an agreeable boy. I enjoyed a lot the jokes he made throughout the episode: he bothers Lisa with the horses and especially rejects the pink one, he hangs up the phone when Lisa started to express an emotive speech (with the great detail that he makes her wait when she calls back), he rates with one star out of five Skinner's driving service, and he scares Lisa through the window making random clownish faces. That is Bart Simpsons in the purest form. Light-hearted, gleeful, human. Ghosh, I wish Bart always receive treatment like this one. In the pros/cons' thread about Joel H. Cohen's scripts I've only found one positive aspect consolidated over time. It was the adequate use he has always done characterizing the boy of the family. It was exhibited here. It's also great how the strengthened the sibling relationship. I am a sucker for their hit-and-miss relationship and when it is well-handled it's a pleasure to gaze. I enjoyed their imminent conflict, how Lisa tries to hurt him destroying the sibling's bind and how Bart reacts to it, throwing off farts from the horse's ass. Those fights are great as long as they prioritize their loving side when things turn ugly, as they did here. Bart rescues Lisa when she needs it and he gives her a piece of advice to take revenge, and then Lisa motives him to overcome his fears to horses. Incidentally, I decided to conveniently ignore the established in Saddlesore Galactica because this was a nice last-minute plot-twist and I don't care for that episode, so I'll let pass it.
U5Gpx4o.jpg

It is gorgeous when Bart is correctly used.

The insinuation of a subplot was not something particularly interesting. I guess the idea of it was just to keep Homer and Marge aside from Lisa while the sleepover took place. And they achieved the objective. They just have a nice moment in a ship during the sunset, Homer suddenly ruins it because she was jealous of the singer who was apparently flirting with Marge and quickly solves it with a wise yet overlong speech. The said speech takes special meaning in these times where stay at home is literally of vital importance, but I think it is a thought-provoking concept that I felt identified with. I mean, I am not an anti-social but not either someone who actually enjoys going to dance each weekend nor overfill my schedule with rides and sallies. This discourse makes me feel comfortable with this style of life I opted for. Honestly, even if it came from nowhere and was a bit out of context, I don't have anything to grouch about. I reserved space at the end of my structured review to comment and praise the great work in terms of animation. The episode as a whole was elevated in quality thanks to another class of animation courtesy of Jennifer Moeller. The third episode directed by her that stands out in the entry. Her ambition and techniques are brilliant and she is quickly becoming one of my favorites directors of the show. Scenes like the one where Addy transition into Addison, the one where Bart gets out of the home to help Lisa or the entire chasing sequence were improved thanks to the special effort in animation. Music was another sector that worked perfectly. It helped to create an atmosphere in some scenes. I enjoyed The Weezer's participation too. Everything worked in harmony as generally happens in Matt Selman's episodes. Just another day in the office.
T2xYyii.jpg

Overall, it was just a little distraction from the main plot, and worked for what it was.

The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds was in a mold where is hard to stick out because of the repetitive story on paper but it was an elegant exception, presenting a great story about Bart and Lisa with four achiever guest stars, majestically directed by Jennifer Moeller and great work in each apartment, including writing, in one of the best contributions from Joel H. Cohen in the HD era.

4/5

Reactions: MDB
I made a mistake. I underestimated this episode before it aired. After all, it was a Lisa-gets-a-Friend episode penned by Joel H. Cohen. I've read live-tweets, I've read some reviews and I spoiled myself. What an error. This was worthy of watching and of rewatching in the near future. It definitely was one of the nicest surprises this season.
U5IhcYB.jpg

Maybe this worked because Lisa doesn't crawl to have a friend?

After Homer takes the mailbox into the house because it brought weeks without being emptied –which was clever enough to initiate the story–, Lisa receives a letter from Addy, her new friend, to attend her birthday. The Simpsons family, as well as me, wondered how and when Lisa made a friend. They didn't recall too much for the details of the beginning of their relationship except for a little memory told by Lisa when she reveals that Addy is a girl she knew in a Library, who has similar tastes to her, including the Gallop Girls book's saga and, consequently, horses in general. They maintain a nice relationship during the birthday until we knew the other invited: three rich, malevolent, and snobby girls. They are mainly the typical girls of nowadays who belonged to the high-society that only care about social media, reputation, and popularity, and whose vocabulary is limited to modern expressions and trending topics. All three of them basically represent the same model of a character although their recurring grace differed from one of the other. They fit in the role of the antagonist because they are also deliberately mean people more than just the artificial archetype of the rich teenager. Furthermore, they bully Lisa in a really tough way, laughing about the gift she bought, humiliating her in social networks, stealing her phone. I've read some of you were not affected by it but I personally felt sorry for Lisa and I found the situation really desperately for the girl. It may be torture sharing a sleepover with people with only bad intentions. They are good characters if a bit annoying, and they have some amusing comments, like "she's trying to influence you, and she's not even monetizing it", and situations, like the "you need to calm down" sequence.
3gSYUgv.jpg

Taking into account how important is the appearance for these girls, this was the Best. Revenge. Ever.

Lisa and Addy's friendship was not pre-eminent. That's not a complaint nonetheless, because the focus was not on their bonding but in their individualities and personalities for separate. Addy was one of those characters that have two opposite facets. She has an innocent, tender side that resembles her to Lisa, destroying that stereotype of the rich-mean-snobby girl, whereas on her other version she wishes to be part of a group composed precisely by rich-mean-snobby girls. I loved her even if I am not sure if she can qualify as a nice or a bad person. After all, she was indifferent to Lisa's suffering until the very end where she takes the correct decision when Lisa was finally able to reach her first status again. Addy's brightest moment was the one when she confessed her sinister plan to Lisa. Joey King's acting was incredible, and it showed off the best of Addy/Addison and the different personalities she can adopt. It's a shame we surely are not gonna watch her again. For her part, Lisa plays a sad role here, being a victim of bullying and affronting a complicated night in a sleepover with her apparent friend who betrayed her and with the other three bad educated girls, realizing activities that she is not used to doing, like watching adults TV shows or make braids, while the things she considers attractive are motive to laugh at. Even if it was a cruel situation, at least it feels different than the average story that this kind of episode is used to offer. It was funny how Lisa's options to escape were discarded until her last salvation was Bart. Neither sending messages to Homer –which arrived with fuzzy indications– nor talking with the party-planner –who also was humiliated by the squad– were helpful options. They were really smart at the time to explain why Lisa was trapped there.
THVyPE5.jpg

Inviting a girl to your birthday just to be excluded from seems a bit unforgivable, right?

The most enjoyable aspect of the episode exceeded Lisa's new friendship and enmities. Surprisingly, what I loved the most about it was Bart. This season, oppositely to the recent trend, did a great work characterizing Bart. He was in his most classic mood, being a rebel yet an agreeable boy. I enjoyed a lot the jokes he made throughout the episode: he bothers Lisa with the horses and especially rejects the pink one, he hangs up the phone when Lisa started to express an emotive speech (with the great detail that he makes her wait when she calls back), he rates with one star out of five Skinner's driving service, and he scares Lisa through the window making random clownish faces. That is Bart Simpsons in the purest form. Light-hearted, gleeful, human. Ghosh, I wish Bart always receive treatment like this one. In the pros/cons' thread about Joel H. Cohen's scripts I've only found one positive aspect consolidated over time. It was the adequate use he has always done characterizing the boy of the family. It was exhibited here. It's also great how the strengthened the sibling relationship. I am a sucker for their hit-and-miss relationship and when it is well-handled it's a pleasure to gaze. I enjoyed their imminent conflict, how Lisa tries to hurt him destroying the sibling's bind and how Bart reacts to it, throwing off farts from the horse's ass. Those fights are great as long as they prioritize their loving side when things turn ugly, as they did here. Bart rescues Lisa when she needs it and he gives her a piece of advice to take revenge, and then Lisa motives him to overcome his fears to horses. Incidentally, I decided to conveniently ignore the established in Saddlesore Galactica because this was a nice last-minute plot-twist and I don't care for that episode, so I'll let pass it.
U5Gpx4o.jpg

It is gorgeous when Bart is correctly used.

The insinuation of a subplot was not something particularly interesting. I guess the idea of it was just to keep Homer and Marge aside from Lisa while the sleepover took place. And they achieved the objective. They just have a nice moment in a ship during the sunset, Homer suddenly ruins it because she was jealous of the singer who was apparently flirting with Marge and quickly solves it with a wise yet overlong speech. The said speech takes special meaning in these times where stay at home is literally of vital importance, but I think it is a thought-provoking concept that I felt identified with. I mean, I am not an anti-social but not either someone who actually enjoys going to dance each weekend nor overfill my schedule with rides and sallies. This discourse makes me feel comfortable with this style of life I opted for. Honestly, even if it came from nowhere and was a bit out of context, I don't have anything to grouch about. I reserved space at the end of my structured review to comment and praise the great work in terms of animation. The episode as a whole was elevated in quality thanks to another class of animation courtesy of Jennifer Moeller. The third episode directed by her that stands out in the entry. Her ambition and techniques are brilliant and she is quickly becoming one of my favorites directors of the show. Scenes like the one where Addy transition into Addison, the one where Bart gets out of the home to help Lisa or the entire chasing sequence were improved thanks to the special effort in animation. Music was another sector that worked perfectly. It helped to create an atmosphere in some scenes. I enjoyed The Weezer's participation too. Everything worked in harmony as generally happens in Matt Selman's episodes. Just another day in the office.
T2xYyii.jpg

Overall, it was just a little distraction from the main plot, and worked for what it was.

The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds was in a mold where is hard to stick out because of the repetitive story on paper but it was an elegant exception, presenting a great story about Bart and Lisa with four achiever guest stars, majestically directed by Jennifer Moeller and great work in each apartment, including writing, in one of the best contributions from Joel H. Cohen in the HD era.

4/5

I think one of the best parts is that they got the main Riverdale female cast to guest star. I love Riverdale so that gets an extra bonus from me.

Addy's brightest moment was the one when she confessed her sinister plan to Lisa. Joey King's acting was incredible, and it showed off the best of Addy/Addison and the different personalities she can adopt. It's a shame we surely are not gonna watch her again. For her part, Lisa plays a sad role here, being a victim of bullying and affronting a complicated night in a sleepover with her apparent friend who betrayed her and with the other three bad educated girls, realizing activities that she is not used to doing, like watching adults TV shows or make braids, while the things she considers attractive are motive to laugh at. Even if it was a cruel situation, at least it feels different than the average story that this kind of episode is used to offer.
I'm glad you took the time to give props to Joey King's performance because it was top-shelf and by no means phoned-in like so many modern guest star appearances. "Let me whiten your teeth, Lisa. I've got strips! Strips, Lisa! Lisa, come back! I've got whitening strips!" is easily the most hilarious line read I've heard from a guest voice in this show since Neil Gaiman proudly confessed his illiteracy.

While the wonderful characterization of Bart was, again, probably my favorite aspect (it's rare that he comes off this well in the modern era, being an classic era-like prankster-troublemaker yet having a heart and being & feeling very human; I'll reiterate his fearful hesitance about the horse, which really got to me, partnered with a couple of laughs with him pointing out the horse's jackedness & Lisa telling him not to get onto the horse from behind), Joey King's as Addy is one of the standouts.

I think she sold the character as rather threedimensional and understandable (despite her tricking Lisa into this situation was too mean despite her reasoning) and I had no trouble buying the friendship between her and Lisa and how (nor why) they reconciled despite everything that had happened (even though I still think she was a bit too easily forgiven in the end). Addy could've ended up more like the other three girls, more flat and one-note, but King put effort into the role and made it stand out with an fairly vibrant portrayal and some good lines.

I wish Addy could return as Lisa's friend as they didn't break up their frienship but yeah, as it goes with guest-star characters she was another one-off we'll probably never see again, which is a shame since she was probably one of the best written and portrayed of Lisa's new friends in the HD era overall.

Last edited:
Thought it was pretty solid across the board. Tight plot, great characterizations, consistent laughs. One of the best of the season, IMO.
Care to reinforce that praise with an official score for the R&R site consensus tabulation?

A refreshing change of pace and an interesting plot, but maybe a bit light on big laughs (although the dinosaur, "SHE'LL KICK YOU IN THE FACE" and "at least she's happy" were good jokes, at other times the ep was let down by the show's weird tendency to completely kill a joke with overexplanation - "horseplay" springs to mind). Nevertheless, a solid B (4/5​)

I actually really liked that "horseplay" joke, even if it's unpopular. I felt that this was one of those rare times the overexplanation worked in its favor (Homer's bemused reaction to what he just said and walking out with his happy "Marge, did you hear what I just said?" attitude). It was a lame and corny joke (even more so with that overexplanative bit) but in a good way.

Last edited:
The episode was great, lot of good jokes and a interesting story. I think the horseplay joke works because it's not about the joke itself rather than homer reaction to it. I cant say the same about lisa pointing out how the girl say things are hilarous without actually laughing, thats a good joke ruined right there.

Discusing about the differences of the simpsons and bobs burgers I realized that bobs burgers does a lot of episodes that ocurrer withing the same day and the simpson's usually happens in the span of days or even weeks so it was refresing to see that this episode focused only in one sleepover.

Bart was used perfectly and I loved the music and general direction of the episode. The subplot was nice enough, nothing memorable but it's nice to see homer and Marge having some fun togheter.

One bad thing about it was how easy Addy decides to help Lisa at the end, it doesnt seem earned at all.
Also this is the first Selman episode that felt short because of the Weezer song and the lack of a credit scene

At some point I will do a longer review (when the episode airs in my native language) but for now its a well earned 4/5

The episode was great, lot of good jokes and a interesting story. I think the horseplay joke works because it's not about the joke itself rather than homer reaction to it. I cant say the same about lisa pointing out how the girl say things are hilarous without actually laughing, thats a good joke ruined right there.

Discusing about the differences of the simpsons and bobs burgers I realized that bobs burgers does a lot of episodes that ocurrer withing the same day and the simpson's usually happens in the span of days or even weeks so it was refresing to see that this episode focused only in one sleepover.

Bart was used perfectly and I loved the music and general direction of the episode. The subplot was nice enough, nothing memorable but it's nice to see homer and Marge having some fun togheter.

One bad thing about it was how easy Addy decides to help Lisa at the end, it doesnt seem earned at all.
Also this is the first Selman episode that felt short because of the Weezer song and the lack of a credit scene

At some point I will do a longer review (when the episode airs in my native language) but for now its a well earned 4/5

Bob's airs at the same day as Simpsons. Both seasons had 22 episodes.

He means the episode takes place in one day.

Ah I think I've seen you do this before and that's because Bob's is more grounded in realism than the other adult animations. Like in the others, the subplot can take place during the day while the main story takes place during night or the next day. So thanks for clearing that up.

Best episode in a shile. All the joeks made me laugh out loud. The strotypical rich girls looked better with the Lisa hair if you ask me. I only have on problem with the episode. Why did they ride the horse to escape? Isn't that stealing the horse didn't belong to them. Where they going to return it the next day. They should have found old bikes or something in the woods and used them to escape.

Bob's Burgers vs the Simpsons. They are apples and oranges *Bobs Burgers:* Feels more like a real family. The characters actually get along most of the time and aren't constantly being snarky and mean. Its much more heartwarming. Simpsons: More cartoony, more saterical. The characters are sassier and its funnier. The Simpsons is more traditional srt up punch line set up punch line. In Bob's Burgers the humor comes for from how the characters react to the situation and the plots start out normal and realistic then esclate and get kooko banannas. This Simpsons episode was really funny I loved it.

I think this episode is genuinely heartwarming and funny. Bart and Lisa are both in character here, and Homer and Marge get a decent sub plot. I didn't like the jokes with the botox girl, but it didn't bother me much. Bart being afraid of horses was a nice touch. 5/5, one of the best of the HD era and it helps continue the upward trend The Simpsons has been on. Since somebody mentioned it, I saw Bobs Burgers. It was watchable, but it seemed like it was written for squares.

I underestimated the episode when it was in production. I thought it was one of them worthless Lisa Gets A Friend episodes that we get, and the characters never get used again.

Apart from the little presence of Jerkass Homer (which I didn't mind about) this episode was quite good. A mediocre looking episode turned out to be a gem in the rough. I liked some of the gags in this episode, including the many warning signs on that video and the ending with that Weezer version of The Simpsons. Lisa had some great characterisation in this, and it was an nice episode.

My 3rd favorite of this season, as Highway To Well is my fave, and Way Of The Dog is a close 2nd, but still a pretty good episode.

4.5/5.

Trab's Reviews:
Warrin' Priests/The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds/The Way Of The Dog

Last edited:
[MENTION=86919]Trab Pu Kcip[/MENTION] Can you let me know what score you'd like to have tied to this episode in the site consensus poll?
Would you like me to round up to a 5 or round down to a 4?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Really enjoyed this episode, I so miss episodes where Bart and Lisa are correctly characterised as kids, which are pretty rare these days. Laughed out loud and number of times and really empathised with Lisa. The Homer/Marge subplot was less memorable but alright. A real pleasant surprise for the late HD era, 4/5

Last edited:
Act 1 - Good
Act 2 - They manage to wide "Lisa's alone" to whole act... It worked
Act 3 - Epic, emotiom and realy funny, "laugh can't stop"

As [MENTION=75686]Szyslak100[/MENTION] wrote, my early preview for this episode ("another Joel Cohen Lisa-centric episode, with a lot of guest stars") was wrong. I undertand this about hours before episode airdate in May 2020.

Start with sub-plot. First, I for the first time discovered those "Selman-runned episode references". They were too much, but didn't anoy.
Homer stand for Marge is perhaps the best marrige crisis folly he did... in the season, at least. However, that ruined party part was poor, though I liked the very cool end of this with black sun glasess:cool:. Just come to think - it's those glasses "he lost 6 years ago". The whole subplot wasn't bad - pretty decent. I don't understand "the best solution to invite Weezer as themselves is just insert music clip at the end":gatorshrug:

Go into main plot.
Really solid satire on always actual topic of social influence and "eight-year-olds are acting not like eight-year-olds" ("I'll look on 6"). Also respect for just about that "Bella-Ella can't laugh" reason.

That Addy's mind change as a result of nonverbal influence from other girls + Lisa's reaction on it makes this episode enjoyable to watch(I quated myself from season 31 thread)

The revenge and escape (shortly act 3, main plot) are really breathtaking and funny:lol: The Hateful eight music background was incredible. Just love all that:gatorlove:

plot 21/25
absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 23/25
comedy 18/25
originary (level of references and of unoriginality) 22/25

TOTAL 84/100 (4/5 with rounding or B+). GOOD!

One of my personal favourites in season 31.

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about this one. The basic idea of the A plot is a good one, but there just aren't many laughs. The little girls had a lot of screen time and I just didn't find their lines very funny. I know it's part of the joke, but this story would have worked better if Lisa and the other girls were in their teens instead of 8 year olds. One problem that this show has always had is the fact that they frequently fudge the kid's maturity level to tell stories well above their age level. Sometimes it works...and sometimes Bart ends up making out with a 16 year old.

Tales of INTEREST: What if instead of having the girls be snotty little rich kids they were actually like Lisa? The "bad" holier-than-thou version of Lisa but meaner. Have another girl be at the bottom of the pecking order and have Lisa (reluctantly) join in on tormenting her in order to fit in. In the end she would see the error of her ways, of course.

Favorite line: "You didn't let me quit when I was scared, so I'm gonna help you see that this majestic creature has a gentle soul. Not behind her! She'll kick your face off!"

This one's actually not bad. A simple and effective and believable conflict for a friendship between children and the ugly popularity contests that can put a wedge between them, school is a game of survival and if you're on the bottom of the food chain it doesn't help anyone higher up to reach down to you. The bitchy wannabe influencer sociopaths are caricatures and the jokes can feel uncanny enough to be considered out-of-touch but regardless of how pinpoint the nuances are, its pretty undeniable that theres a toxic influencer culture that can and has poisoned plenty of younger minds, and since privileged or snotty children of higher social status have always existed as is this simply exacerbates that problem, and the episode show that well, hyperbolic or not it plays to a timeless and relatable issue for kids trying to find honest friendships when there's a whole lotta lying and stepping on whoever you can to survive, and even our villains are kids who are growing too fast and I feel for what it represents, thats unquestionably happening. Bart and Lisa sibling stuff is nice too, not great and a bit forced in places but I appreciate the effort towards a payoff and them working together.

B plot sucks but it has Weezer so I like it anyway. It is incredibly funny Piece of Cake by Weezer is in a Simpsons episode. Selman bumpin' that Black Album.

I hadn't been sure, if I still like the episode so much, so I decided to include it to my 'rewatch list'. And the answer - surprisingly yes.

There weren't much funny moments, when you "lauded out laugh"😒. However, it was undercovered by good story and lines. That's ok.

The stories are A) satire of classic: kids behave not like kids with well-shown contrast and B) nice lovely subplot.

I remember, I was afraid of too much guest-star characters, which could ruin everything, but the girls' characters were written carefully, with soul, or so.

Bart was great here:ac:. He was… Bart. Not sociopath or problem child - just 10-year old prankasta boy with own coolness and fears:bart:. By the way, I really love the moment he revealed his fear to horses - remember I even cried during first watch.

Other lovable moments: Bart becomes sorry for his sister's accident, Homer stands up for Marge, that "invisible lasso" and mem-making moment of synchron waking up of girls.:lol:

Actually I thought this episode would become "great" for me, but perhaps it will never be ideal. In the same time it is really good, not only by "modern standards"

plot 22/25
absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 22/25
comedy 18/25
originality (level of references and unoriginality) 22/25

TOTAL 84/100 (strong 4/5, or B) GOOD! IMHO, the 2nd best episode of season 31.

Last edited:
another 5/5 episode lol

this episode is just entertaining from start to finish, both the subplot and the main plot are great. now listen i can understand why someone can find the main plot ''cringe'' i do get that the more meta social media references Simpsons isnt for everyone, but i've grown to accept it, no one complained when 90's Simpsons was talking about stuff that was in the 90's so what's the problem with it now. now back to the episode. lisa was adorable in this episode, i love the way they animated her lol, she looks so little and tiny, also enjoy her dynamic with bart in this episode. the homer marge stuff was really wholesome especially that fight he had with the singer.

5/5

I really enjoyed this episode. I enjoyed the B plot, but, the A plot really stood out to me. I thought that it was cute how Lisa and Addy became friends due to their love of horses and I thought that it was neat that she came from a rich family and that they own plenty of horses. However, if there's something that I have a problem with in this episode, it's Addy's behavior and her snobby, mean girl "friends." The way that Lisa was humiliated made me feel really sorry for her.

As someone who was bullied and taken advantage of by people who I thought that were my friends, this episode really hits home to me. Addy invited Lisa to her birthday sleepover party so that she can stop being bullied by her "friends" and let her be bullied by them instead and even joining in on bullying her so that they will accept her and let her be a part of their group. That's not only mean, but, it's also unforgivable. I understand the situation of not wanting to be bullied and accepted by your peers. I'm pretty sure that we've all felt that way before. But, the ends don't justify the means. Being bullied doesn't give you the right to become a bully. What Addy did makes me question if she really does care about Lisa and if she really wanted to be friends with her. It also makes me question if she was just pretending to be nice the entire time or if she's secretly insane. As much as I loved how Bart came to help Lisa out and help her stand up to Addy and those mean girl bullies and get back at them, I felt like that she was redeemed too quickly. She was forgiven way too easily and there was no excuse for her behavior. Sure Lisa got through to Addy by reminding her of their love of horses and the "Gallop Girls" book series and even helped her defeat the mean girls, but, in my eyes, that isn't enough to forgive her on the spot like that. I'm not saying that Lisa shouldn't have forgiven Addy, but, it would take time for her to fully trust her again.

If she were to ever come back, which I don't think that she will since she was voiced by a guest star, maybe they can do an episode where Lisa is still hurt by what Addy did to her at her sleepover birthday party and she is completely remorseful for what she did to her and she does whatever she can to make it up to Lisa to earn her forgiveness and trust back, which would not only fix things with them being friends, but, it would give her a chance to fully redeem herself. Other than that, everything else was good.

Honestly, I was shocked discovering the episode appeared on a list of worst episodes last year😶‍🌫️. Yeah, it isn't perfect, with some up-and-down's, pretty squeezed sub-story and so, as it turned out, sensitive "Lisa Gets Friends" premise.

There are sooo much good here: animation, completion of both stories (Homer even found those glasses), bright satire on "mean girls", that are portraited often in media in contrast with Lisa, real kid (here at least). Bart's hyppophobia was a nice note to underline the story.

So, from me anyway 4/5

Sending a quick request out for those of you who contributed written reviews and scores for this episode to transplant them directly into the poll (at the top of this thread). You may also choose to revise them accordingly when doing so.

@BloodySimpsonChibi
@Financial Panther
@Frankbags
@GlitterCat
@Homer Samson
@Kaine
@MDB
@Nameless
@Net
@Nitsy
@orangemo
@sandurt
@Scrooge McDuck
@That Don Guy
@The Abominable Dr. Lenny
@Trab Pu Kcip
@Venomrabbit

Consolidating your written scores into the poll itself will make subsequent consensus score updates for this episode easier to track in the future.

I'm going to be staggering these requests out over the hiatus break so as to not flood you with notifications but if you'd like to forego that and get a jump start on updating your scores in other Season 31 & 32 polls ahead of time that'll result in fewer reminders heading your way as well.

Also, please do go back and update your scores from earler episodes in this stretch if you have yet to do so.

Will welcome fresh votes as well from those of you who haven't contrbuted to the poll yet as well.

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this!

Reactions: MDB
Honestly, while I might criticize how most "Lisa Friend" episodes are just regurgitations of Lisa's Rival (put Lisa into some kind of conflict with a girl who is a perfect match for her), this one at least has a decently entertaining format to it. Still a bit too lightweight and frivolous for my liking, though (which is a recurring problem with Selman, I find). Kinda felt like something that wouldn't be out of place in a Disney Channel show.

Last edited:
Back