Rate & Review: "The Good, The Bart, and The Loki"

How would you rate this short?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
aVn8KyP.jpg

Available to Stream on Disney+: July 7, 2021
Writers: Elisabeth Kiernan Averick, Jessica Conrad, John Frink, Al Jean & Jeff Westbrook
Director: David Silverman
Synopsis: Loki has been banished from Asgard and finds himself in Springfield, where he teams up with Bart Simpson.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Short
(votes will not be cited below if the user has voted in the thread poll above)
AlphaOmega {2} / B-Boy {2} / Bohdan {2} / CousinMerl {1} / Financial Panther {2} / friz {2}
JimJam707 {1} / sideshow ken {3} / SimpsonsWillGoOnForever {3} / Wile E. the Brain {1}​

R&R Poll Average Score: 1.79 / 5 (as of September 23, 2022 / 24 votes)
IMDB User Rating: 6.1 / 10

Last edited:
My takeaway from The Force Awakens from Its Nap was that Brooks thought it would be a great brand synergy marketing idea to have the show parody other properties in the Disney stable. Jean hastily pitched the idea of Frankensteining The Longest Daycare with some Star Wars references to sell the Disney higherups on the concept and they responded enthusiastically with "yes, release that on May the 4th". I mean, I can "get" that. They probably wanted to do something wholly ambitious and creative with Star Wars, the pitch meeting went differently than expected so they were stuck with a derivative concept that prompted them to go back to the well for a few weeks to figure out how many references they could cram into a roughly 3-minute runtime to make it worthwhile.

So surely this second effort that wasn't tethered to a pre-existing format structure would wind up much better, right? Or at least as ambitious as your typical Treehouse of Horror segment with a higher animation budget and Silverman's direction?

Well, not quite.

Loki gets banished to Springfield, Loki wins over Bart with his ability to impersonate other people, Loki wins over Homer by replicating pork chops, Lisa objects, Lisa gets banished to Asgard, Lisa lifts up Mjölnir to become Thor, Lisa returns with a bunch of half-baked Simpsonified Avengers parodies which are largely glossed over outside of Barney's Iron Man and Ralph's Hulk, Lisa chucks "Loki" into the sky (Bart's dialogue here actually makes me think this was a rewrite because he's still pleading with Homer as Lisa is the one casting him away), the Avengers rejoice, "Bart" now has a functional family to call his own. The End.

There... I've just summarized the entire short for you. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting something with the same runtime as The Force Awakens From Its Nap. And the references were much less clever and inspired than in the former short. Didn't they have extra time for this one? Or did the first simply lower the bar enough that they felt they could simply get away with the bare minimum here? I'm not exactly sure.

Granted, they did tack on an extra two minutes at the end (which accounts for some of the added runtime) to make a lame commentary on the MCU's infamous mid-credit cutaway sequences. Dawnn Lewis actually steals the show in this one with her brilliant takedown of Loki's hijinks. Kind of hope we get to see this judge character in the show proper at some point as her delivery was immaculate. Might also save us from a poorly done KMR imitation of Judge Snyder.

Like the previous offering, this one gets a weak 2/5 score from me. If people want to watch a Disney homage worthy of their time they need to seek out Toy Gory.

And, as I noted in the other thread, I'm all for seeing an endless litany of lame 2/5 shorts every couple of months if they continue to win over the casuals and give Selman more bullets in the chamber to fire during the season itself. I wonder what property the next short will tackle... what's Disney releasing in September?

Perhaps the family can hit all of the Disney World parks in a quick 3-minute romp and it'll serve as a way to coax people into booking their own tickets for Florida for the holidays. Gotta build up that 50th anniversary angle post-pandemic. There, they now have an idea to work with. Send me a check.

Last edited:
Luckily to me, I could easy find the short out of Disney+:whisper:

1) I must say, that don't watch any of Marvel films!:D (just have a very generic knowledge). And so, the Loki character is fresh for me.

2) All the actions went so fast: starting from the first bridge scene, then quick useless exile of Lisa without ANY reaction from the family (just because of fast way)…

3) …those sudden END CREDITS (?) had been really "wtf-ish" fist, and just after a while I understood the comedy of it:) The images, by the way, are nice (in the way of animation, and satire)

4) In the short Homer became "heretic" for double steaks" for a 2-second joke :joke:. It's... it's just uncomeatable to the original 1993 Homer the Heretic. "Look at me I'm eater"? That caused just such :-/ face expression

5) The Loki character was... err... hard to say. It wasn't enjoyable at all; his development was confused; till the end cannot say, whether he's a "villain" or just "annoying random character" (who knows MSU better say - maybe it should be so?)

6) Definitely, it was better when the shorts were speachless:D Really, despite low-quality also modern last Maggie short, but it was quite, and was just nice to watch.:maggiesmiley:

7) Seeing these shorts (an even recalling the Disney+ launch Simpsons promo that where Bart is angry Mickey) must say, it's a pity the Disney-Fox now use a long ago cult show, just as "platform with never ideal environment":mad: and put there all the franchises around to promote them, and "make fun". I'm not a "nostalgy old school simpsons" man at all, but what happened to those Simpsons, who made HUGE satire of pop-culture? I missed them here, at least bit of them, at least one line.

8) To reach balance, here are the 2 really funny moments I found: that sign "This is what happens, when Disney buys Marvel and Fox":D and the last (very last) after-credits scene with several meta-jokes, made me smile

Didn't think, I'd waste so much time and write estimating this short. In summary, I say, it's like a bad, mash THOH segment, what felt for the most time. 2/5 (all because of aforementioned funny moments and "middle end" credits thing) - BAD

(Bart's dialogue here actually makes me think this was a rewrite because he's still pleading with Homer as Lisa is the one casting him away)
Yeah, that was really odd. And after, we didn't get any clarification about this. Forget to note, that Homer's sterile reaction to "Loki" 's respond was really stupid. Respective :gatorshrug: emoji is much funnier

Last edited:
3/5, Simaler to the The force awakens to its nap, It mostly relies on refrences to marvel. Personally, I enjoyed how Loki eventually found a home in the Simpsons family. For some reason, Hes always been my favorite charecter. It could have been much better, And it had much more potential than what it came out to be.

I wished that it could have been longer. I did enjoy Loki and him switching bodies with Bart was funny. Homer wanting Loki to turn Flanders into a pork chop was very creepy. But it was still enjoyable especially seeing all the Springfield characters (minus Homer and Marge) play the Avengers. 3.5

I wished that it could have been longer. I did enjoy Loki and him switching bodies with Bart was funny. Homer wanting Loki to turn Flanders into a pork chop was very creepy. But it was still enjoyable especially seeing all the Springfield characters (minus Homer and Marge) play the Avengers. 3.5

For the pole: is it up to 4, or down to 3? Thanks

But it was still enjoyable especially seeing all the Springfield characters (minus Homer and Marge) play the Avengers.
Yes, that was cool (even for some seconds)

Cute little short, but I had a lot of problems with it. First off, the short was way too short. Like I know it's called a "short" for a reason, but everything just went by too quick for me to process it. Leading to my second problem, it was rushed. The scene where Lisa comes back as Thor with almost all of Springfield as Superheroes just comes out of nowhere. I was like where the hell did she get all of them so fast. Third, why use characters like Barney and Ralph if you're not going to use them beyond puns. Also, I was pretty pumped to see characters like Milhouse as Hawkeye, Helen as Captain Marvel, and so on, but they barely use them. There just seen cheering on Lisa after she throws Loki away. Like why the hell did Lisa gather everyone if she could just do it by herself? Also, the writing for the characters was very cringey especially Homer's dialogue. Also, it was really odd seeing Marge not speak at all at the dinner table. They probably couldn't get Julie Kavner on short notice. Despite my problems with the short I still thought it was fun. It was really cool to spot all the little easter eggs that were hidden, especially during the end credits scene. Loved that image of KIrk and Luann on Wandavision, and seeing CBG as Thanos was pretty cute too. If these little shorts keep Jean at bay, then please keep them coming. I feel now they're probably just gonna release one every two months lol which might get tiring after a while, but I'd still watch them. I'm excited to see what they parody next. I feel Mickey Mouse would be the next obvious one. 3/5.

Yeah…this wasn’t much, although I did find it slightly better than “The Force Awakens From its Nap.” I don’t actually know who Loki is or what he’s from, so any reference there was lost on me. The biggest disappointment was the lack of the secondary and tertiary characters being used. They just showed up and stood around. Big whoop. The last scene in the court was decent, although the list joke went a bit long. 2/5

Could've added four minutes and would have been an acceptable THOH short. And by acceptable I mean 2/5.

Thought it was okay by modern Simpsons standards but why put all those characters on the promo image if they're going to be on screen for 2 seconds and not even going to have a line. And why did Al Jean tweet about Carl as Nick Fury specifically when it was going to be completely inconsequential to the short?? They should have just had Lisa as Thor on the poster if it was going to be like that. Don't give those of us who like the supporting cast false hopes. :(

Meh... Also, maybe it was just me but I felt like they took Homer's stupidly to a new low in the final scene.

EDIT: Initially missed the court scene until reading some of the other reviews. That was actually a little funny.

1.5/5 rounded up to a 2.

Last edited:
More drivel from Jean and co. About on par with most recent Treehouse of Horror shorts. I'm already weary of this shameless cross-market pollination. Sure, there were a couple of moments worthy of a chuckle, but that's not enough to make any of this even remotely worthwhile. 2/5 and that's being generous.

Last edited:
Thought it was okay by modern Simpsons standards

Actually, even by the "most modern" seasons (28+) standards, it was low, anyway.:-/ - nowadays the decent, at least, episodes are more often met (just my thought).

This definately needed to be longer, even if it was only by a few minutes. Its mostly a string of parody gags which also had some fun interactions with the Simpsons family. I would have liked to see more secondary characters from Springfield and whoever they parody as a superhero. They didn't serve much of a purpose other than showing up and still have Lisa just take out ''Loki'' by herself. Considering how action packed the Marvel movies usually are we didn't really get any action in this short. I liked Loki's voice acting and while I haven't watched his show yet I've always liked his character in the movies. The chemistry with loki and Homer is probably the best part, and that Homer didn't care at all that Loki took Bart's place as his ''son''. I liked some of the ending credits scenes like Ralph re-enacting the Hulk scene where he smashes Loki around.

2.5/5

I liked this, but I too wish this would have been longer, at least by 3-5 minutes. There a lot of fun gags here and there to be found and it pays a nice homage to Marvel. What I would have liked to see is how Bart were to get back and get revenge on Loki, as well as Lisa showing more as Thor. But oh well, a nice time-passer.

3/5

This definately needed to be longer, even if it was only by a few minutes. Its mostly a string of parody gags which also had some fun interactions with the Simpsons family. I would have liked to see more secondary characters from Springfield and whoever they parody as a superhero. They didn't serve much of a purpose other than showing up and still have Lisa just take out ''Loki'' by herself. Considering how action packed the Marvel movies usually are we didn't really get any action in this short. I liked Loki's voice acting and while I haven't watched his show yet I've always liked his character in the movies. The chemistry with loki and Homer is probably the best part, and that Homer didn't care at all that Loki took Bart's place as his ''son''. I liked some of the ending credits scenes like Ralph re-enacting the Hulk scene where he smashes Loki around.

2.5/5

For the poll: do you down your mark to 2 or up to 3? Thanks.

Guess I'm the only one who found this one somehow worse than the Star Wars one. With this short, it's literally throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks. Even the Star Wars short, behind the amount of stupid references, tells something straightforward and relatively logical, if completely safe. With only less than three minutes, it's your typical "stuff happens" here, where absolutely nothing stands out and when you somehow remember something from it, you wonder if it's not some sort of fever dream.

"This is what happens when Disney buys Marvel and Fox" How cute of you to point it out but that won't save this disaster of a short. And Homer wanting to eat Flanders is a no with a capital N. I hate it.

1/5

(It needed five writers and maybe the rest of the writers' room. Keep that in mind.)

Guess I'm the only one who found this one somehow worse than the Star Wars one.

"This is what happens when Disney buys Marvel and Fox" How cute of you to point it out but that won't save this disaster of a short.

1/5

Not the only. I actually also think it's definitely worse. "The Force Awakens from Its Nap" had at least something charming - Maggie/children-related point of view. Strangely, but here she's absent (except of one credit shot)*
6) Definitely, it was better when the shorts were speachless:D Really, despite low-quality also modern last Maggie short, but it was quite, and was just nice to watch.:maggiesmiley:

I say, it's like a bad, mash THOH segment, what felt for the most time. 2/5
And I'll repeat myself, that my two cents points were just for that mentioned ironic sign, and the good very last scene, oh and credits images. That's all! All other is just a mash/Loki's character/Marvel ad:rolleyes::-X Even if I really wished, I wouldn't up even to 2.5 anyway. Just IMHO but, It doesn't deserve it:nuh-uh:

*CORRECTION: Maggie was among those heroes as fairy.

Last edited:
Not the only. I actually also think it's definitely worse. "The Force Awakens from Its Nap" had at least something charming - Maggie/children-related point of view.

Yeah, at least the point of view the previous short followed kind of justify the childlike feeling it has. Here it's just stupidly infantile for no good reason.

Al Jean interview about the short and the Conan. I'll note just several paragraphs related to this
“The Good, The Bart, and The Loki” is the latest Simpsons short to arrive on Disney+, this time roping in Loki star Tom Hiddleston to voice his villainous Marvel alter ego as he squares off against Springfield’s most famous family.

Longtime Simpsons executive producer Al Jean spoke with IGN about the benefits of working on these shorts, how The Simpsons has survived for three decades, and more:

IGN: This is now the third short you’ve done for Disney+, and other than the obvious benefits of corporate synergy, what is the appeal of working in the short format?

Al Jean: There’s a few things for me. Starting with the first short we did –– “The Longest Daycare” in 2012 –– I just love the medium. An episode is nine months, and that’s great, I’ve worked on 700 of them, pretty much, but it’s great to be doing something where it’s a little shorter, and a little more on the fly. The Star Wars one, we got the go-ahead in January for May the 4th.

This one, we were finishing that in April, and we said, “Well, Loki comes out in June, early-July, we’ll be able to hit that too.” So we really, we’re doing them as they went along, and with this one we actually parodied the first episode of the miniseries in one of our many post-credit sequences. Probably the most ever post-credit sequences in a four-minute short.

IGN: The short starts and there’s the voice of Tom Hiddleston (as Loki). With the show having been around so long and being able to get any guest you want, do you have any white whale where you’re like, “Oh, I’d really love this person to be on the show”?

Al Jean: We never have had a U.S. President on the show. We’ve tried pretty hard –– we got a nice rejection letter from Reagan when he was alive, and Bill Clinton considered it. But we finally gave up and used an actual recording of Theodore Roosevelt. He was a good president, so that was our default. (laughs)

So, we never had them, and I would say that’s the biggest –– we did have Tony Blair when he was Prime Minister. But with Tom Hiddleston, I believe he was a fan. He definitely seemed really happy. Really nice, incredible actor, but genuinely happy to be on The Simpsons and hear his voice next to Homer’s. I think that was the biggest aspect of it for him. That always blows me away, when someone you think is talented is a big fan of The Simpsons.
Then the Presidents and the Conan's stuff. Overall, nothing interesting, except of 6 comic-styled cool promo-images someone's going to have a new avatar ^_~ Thanks, Wikisimpsons
The_Good%2C_the_Bart%2C_and_the_Loki_comic.jpg

Lisa_Thor_The_Good%2C_the_Bart%2C_and_the_Loki.jpg

Loki_The_Good%2C_the_Bart%2C_and_the_Loki.jpg

Flanders_Ant_Man_The_Good%2C_the_Bart%2C_and_the_Loki.jpg

Barney_Iron_Man_The_Good%2C_the_Bart%2C_and_the_Loki.jpg

Ralph_Hulk_The_Good%2C_the_Bart%2C_and_the_Loki.jpg

Oh, David Silverman also tweeted the production drawing

And something more to say in another interview (you must use US location/VPN though)
How did the idea for the short come around and how much was Marvel involved in the process of making it?

Al Jean: The idea came because we’re on Disney+, and if you want to find The Simpsons on Disney+, there isn’t a tile that says The Simpsons. So [The Simpsons producer] Jim Brooks [said] “Hey, what if we do shorts like crossing over with Star Wars or Marvel” and got the deal approved in January of 2021. So our first deadline was that we’ve got to hit May the 4th for ‘May the 4th be with you.’

Then, while we’re finishing that in April, we said, “Oh my God, Loki is coming out as a miniseries, that’d be perfect for Loki.” So we worked on it about three months, and both of them were very fast and Marvel definitely approved everything just as the Star Wars people approved everything in the first short. And they were great. Tom Hiddleston couldn’t have been better, Marvel people just [were] great on everything and let us parody their publicity, their old covers. Just a fantastic experience.

As a Marvel fan, what was it like to be able to use Loki and other Marvel characters to poke fun at them in the classic Simpsons style?

I just kept thinking that there was a Thor cartoon in the ‘60s that people remember. It had a song, [and] “The God of Thunder, Mighty Thor” I think was the ending lyric, so I just kept thinking “Wow.” I remember watching it and if somebody told me I was writing a cartoon with Thor and Loki years later I would be totally dumbfounded. The big key was saying, “Hey, Bart is Loki, he’s got Lisa where Loki has Thor,” and then we thought it would be funny if Lisa became Thor like Natalie Portman in the new Thor movie. Once we had that, then we had a really good motivation for the short, and then the other goal was to put as many post-credit sequences in the short as you could in a four-minute short à la Marvel movies.

As a Marvel fan, what was it like to be able to use Loki and other Marvel characters to poke fun at them in the classic Simpsons style?

I just kept thinking that there was a Thor cartoon in the ‘60s that people remember. It had a song, [and] “The God of Thunder, Mighty Thor” I think was the ending lyric, so I just kept thinking “Wow.” I remember watching it and if somebody told me I was writing a cartoon with Thor and Loki years later I would be totally dumbfounded. The big key was saying, “Hey, Bart is Loki, he’s got Lisa where Loki has Thor,” and then we thought it would be funny if Lisa became Thor like Natalie Portman in the new Thor movie. Once we had that, then we had a really good motivation for the short, and then the other goal was to put as many post-credit sequences in the short as you could in a four-minute short à la Marvel movies.

Were there any jokes or ideas that you had originally that you decided to cut?

We had a reference to Yggdrasil, the Tree of Life from Asgardian mythology. We cut that because it just wasn’t that funny. We did show Bart winding up in the Rainbow Bridge as head of Asgard the way Loki ruled at the end and he kicked Skinner off the bridge. But since we cut that, I guess Bart has an uncertain fate, which is kind of creepy.

How is the production process different for one of these shorts compared to an episode of the show?

I work directly with the director David Silverman and we write a script and it’s approved by Jim Brooks and everything. David just immediately starts boarding it very roughly, and the designs get done very quickly. He sort of sends stuff to me just through the day, “What do you think of this little bit and that little thing?” and I send him ideas like, “Oh, let’s put in Odin’s wolf in the prison,” and it just goes back and forth like this. It’s a fantastic process because it makes everything funnier and better.

You mentioned how nice it was working with Tom Hiddleston on the short. Are there any other Marvel stars or characters you’d like to work with in the future?

We were just watching WandaVision last night. Kat Dennings has been on the show [in Mr Lisa's Opus - The B], and we’d love to work with Elizabeth Olsen and Chris Evans. They all just seem hilarious and really brilliant.

This one was fairly bad. Much worse than the Star Wars one with Maggie (I'm already tired of spelling out the lazy title for that one, in all honesty). The SW one was at least fairly simple and even with the lame and obvious references, it didn't go for anything bigger than a goofy little irreverent story centerraed around Maggie and Baby Gerald with SW references, but this one did go for an actual plot and lo and behold, it mangled the decently interesting crossover premise of Loki in Springfield.

Nothing here made sense and just happened because and despite the spiffy animation, nothing worked and it was completely laughless and soulless and corporate promotion for the MCU, with forced and just plain bad references (lets chuck in some half-assed Avengers references and spam the theme tune!), terrible characterizations (such as Lisa being an idiot meathead who somehow missed Loki switching place with Bart literally infront of her eyes & Homer being only able to think of porkchops and also eating Flanders for some reason) and some extra scenes that weren't any fun either (well, the post credits scene referencing the ongoing 'Loki' series on Disney+ with Loki on trial ended up mildy amusing in its stupidity, but it didn't help) & an bizarre opening and incomplete end (felt like it ended before it's proper last "act" and tacked on the extra scene to fill time).

It literally felt like they shrunk down what could have been a proper short (at 10 or so minutes) and just had it be a tepid, unfunny bore that felt so pointless and useless (even for a Marvel promotion). The animation was pretty good (as said) and Tom Hiddleston did fine as Loki (like he usually do), but I couldn't find anything else to praise about it. I hate to sound so negative and maybe it is extreme to say, but at the moment, this might be the 'Simpsons' short equivalent of 'The 7 Beer Snitch' to me.

1/5 (rounded down from 1.5/5).

Last edited:
Went in with painfully low expectations and left disappointed somehow, not sure how they made a 5 minute short feel like a waste of time but it felt like watching 3 or 4 drafts of unconnected scenes they'd yet to go back and squeeze any jokes into. 1/5

[MENTION=17229]CousinMerl[/MENTION], Thanks for pointing out the awful characterization. Like I said, it felt like they took Homer's stupidly to a new low here in the last scene.

Also, knowing that the end scene was originally to take place at Springfield Elementary just further adds to what [MENTION=24053]Brad Lascelle[/MENTION] mentioned of there being a possible rewrite.

[MENTION=17229]CousinMerl[/MENTION], Thanks for pointing out the awful characterization. Like I said, it felt like they took Homer's stupidly to a new low here in the last scene.

Also, knowing that the end scene was originally to take place at Springfield Elementary just further adds to what [MENTION=24053]Brad Lascelle[/MENTION] mentioned of there being a possible rewrite.

I think a lot of the bad writing can be due to the fact that the short was rushed a little bit. Jean said they started working on it a little after Force Awakens From It's Nap which means they only had 2 months to make this. That, however, doesn't excuse the bad writing it just explains it.

I haven't felt this touched with The Simpsons since the first time I've seen the ending of Mother Simpson. No, I am not kidding around but, of course, it's not due to the short by itself. The point is that, after 17 years, the original voice actors of the Latin American dubbing finally came back to the job they should never leave. It's not a permanent change but still, it's a cuddle to my childhood. You can't imagine how soul-stirring, how gratifying was for me to listen to Humberto Vélez giving his voice to Homer Simpson after so many years of waiting for it. It's uncertain why they returned and if they will be dubbing the thirty-second season, but I am so glad for this that I don't care for what will happen in the future.

Well, let's get right to the point to write the review. Although there is not much to say. It was as lame and uninspired as expected. Another half-baked crossover that is nothing but an endless list of references to the other franchise. I've seen somewhere that the short contains over one hundred references but I can't see the merit if it is not sustained by a decent story. The Simpsons cast representing Marvel's characters was just for a cameo which was a waste

I could buy the argument of Brad that The Force Awakens from Its Nap was so dull because the writers had to rush its production to air it on May 4th. But this short just proves that this saga is not supposed to be anything but coreless crossovers. But I can not figure out why. Man, this could be a way to introduce the newest generations to The Simpsons, it could be fresh content worth revisiting in Disney+, it could be material able to compete in the Annies and even in the Oscars. That is why I don't get the reason why these shorts are so mediocre.

Something that just didn't work for me is the radical change of style. Modern shorts had a winning formula: they were speechless, Maggie was the star, they were simple and about baby stuff. I am aware that if the plan is to make many of these, they need to make some modifications. But this 180-degrees turn just makes me feel that the essence of the shorts was, already, ruined.

Of course, I never empathized with Loki neither cared for him, I had no interest in Lisa becoming Thor, I was absolutely disenchanted with the post-credit scene that was a long discourse of a judge with plenty of self-referential lines. Just as happened with the Star Wars short, maybe fans of Marvel could enjoy it more or at least find anything remediable. It felt like a very bad and incoherent Treehouse of Horror segment...

Well, it was a snooze fest. Nice animation, nice music, and nothing else. Only because I am absolutely happy for the return of the original actors I am going to give it a generous 2/5. Please, the next time at least think of a story. This is just bad publicity to Disney+ and another symptom of the disease of modern Simpsons.

Back