Rate & Review: "The Dad-Feelings Limited" (QABF04)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
74pifeD.png

Season 32, Episode 11
Original Airdate
: January 3, 2021 * SPECIAL AIRTIME OF 9pm EASTERN / PACIFIC *
Writer
: Ryan Koh
Director: Chris Clements
Showrunner: Matt Selman
Synopsis: Comic Book Guy and his wife Kumiko debate having a baby and we learn his awesome origin story.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode (votes will not be cited below if the user has voted in the thread poll above)
714MatchesFound {5} / abby7 {4} / B-Boy {5} / BloodySimpsonChibi {5} / DigiJem1 {4} / Financial Panther {3} / Hockey Mask {5} / John95 {2}
Kaine {4} / Nameless {4} / orangemo {4} / Scrooge McDuck {4} / Smear-Gel {5} / Trab Pu Kcip {4}​

R&R Poll Average Score: 4.25 / 5 (as of September 23, 2023 / 28 votes)
IMDb User Rating: 7.1 / 10

Last edited:
I think it was a pretty good episode for a newer season. it was cool to see comic book guy’s wife get a starring role, since we don’t know much about her. Even better we got to see how comic book guy became comic book guy, so I’ll give it a 4/5. I wasn’t sure what the movie/show reference was though

Finally. Finally. After a long time between episodes that got 3/5 or higher from me, we got one.

Originally, when going through this episode, I wasn't keen on the first act, but later on, I appreciated it more. The 2nd act was quite good as well. The 3rd act had nearly perfect emotion Into it, and I didn't knew that Ryan Koh, who's last 2 episodes have flopped, could create this good episode. It had a decent amount of laughs, like that back to the future parody, and a nice ending scene as well.

This might be my 3rd, maybe even 2nd favourite of the Season. Well Don Ryan Koh. You made a good, emotional episode.

Also, credit to the voice actress of Kumibo, she was perfect in the role. She needs to voice her again.

4/5.

Last edited:
[MENTION=88556]abby7[/MENTION] The entire 3rd act and end credits sequence was an immaculate send-up of Wes Anderson films.
And seeing how much I was enjoying this episode up until that point, well that just put it over the top. Probably my fave of the season thus far.

Loved it. My only critisism is that the third act and the backstory felt meaty enough that it could have been its own episode. But it's minor. 5/5.

Homer was full of fantastic lines tonight. Everyone loved each other and there's zero cynisisim in anyone's relationships, neither between the adults or between The Simpsons and their kids. Also they act like kids (a Matt Selman staple). It was nice seeing Homer and Marge be romantic with each other. The plot progression was great, there's no first act that leads into the real plot and it feels unrelated, everything led into each other organically and it all made sense. I'll even admit I got invested when Comic Book Guy ran off and teared up when Kumiko got really sad.

>good episode ends
>executive producer Matt Selman
every time

EDIT: Also there were some very good animation sequences, like when Homer went in the bounce house and everyone was jumping on him, or when CBG slid off the couch.

Last edited:
I really wasn’t a fan of the premise of this one. Homer and Marge atfemtping to manipulate Comic Book Guy into wanting children made them quite unlikable. And really, why did he need children? Because it’s the “normal” thing for couples in shows to do? Comic Book Guy is the quintessential nerdy loser, and giving him a wife and now even a child totally ruins everything about him. I get that they need to change things up in season 32, but they did it in the most cliché way available by giving them a child. I could go on about this, but I won’t.

I thought Homer, Marge, Comic Book Guy, and Kumiko being good at trivia might come into use later in the episode, but it was pretty much dropped. It didn’t bother me much, as we’ve seen enough of Simpsons getting really good at something. Instead, it was just a segue to get them with Comic Book Guy and Kumiko again later, and that goes back to my dislike of what happened next: Homer and Marge told their kids to get Comic Book Guy to want kids of his own, and they ultimately accomplished this, at least for a bit. I did like that it wasn’t the conclusion and that their crying and need for support made Comic Book Guy second-guess himself.

It was interesting to get some backstory to Comic Book Guy, although the writers didn’t even try to come up with some sort of explanation; we just got a narrator and then Marge somehow knowing exactly what happened. They sort of lampooned it at the end with Marge’s “OK...” but that doesn’t really make it better. I wish they had just had someone explain it to them or figured out something. The story itself was kind of cute, although the reason for Comic Book Guy’s dad not giving him the baseball simply because he didn’t have the “heart” to do so felt somewhat lazy.

This is a tough episode to grade. The story was solid, but the characters weren’t too likable for me. Overall, I guess I’ll give it a 3/5.

Also, no more Comic Book Guy sex scenes, please.

Not a bad episode. Corny, yes. But not bad.

The backstory episode made me cringe when I heard about it we since most of us couldn't care less about a secondary or even third character, Comic Book Guy most of the time is pretty much an ass and basically they aren't that great.

This episode was a little racy. Homer and Marge getting busy in a crypt was something you think Marge would frown apon but she did get knocked up in the windmill at Sir Putt-A-Lot's.

Then we get went eww: CBG and Kumiko are furries. That's way to descriptive about their sex life. They just didn't make the joke once they repeated it.

I'm sure there is more I can write but I end it with this:

All acts were there, it had funny moments and no joke went on and on. So congrats writers on not fucking up the episode.

4/5

A couple of nitpicks:

Why do all of the writers seem to forget that CBG has an established name? Seriously, "Mister Book Guy"?

Given that the other characters had items associated with them in the portraits in the closing credits, why wasn't Maggie shown with, say, the gun that shot Mr. Burns?

The prelims are here.

Fast-Demo-2021-Jan-03-SUN.png

It's a 0.5 rating with 1.746 million viewers. They finished 4th in the 8-10 block, or Dead Last, losing to Call Me Kat, The Great North and Last Man Standing.

Last edited:
A couple of nitpicks:

Why do all of the writers seem to forget that CBG has an established name? Seriously, "Mister Book Guy"?

My guess is that it's because Groening hates that he has a name. And a pretty mundane name at that. But I did see numerous posts/articles that list his wife as Kumiko Albertson.

https://the-avocado.org/2021/01/04/the-simpsons-s32e11-the-dad-feelings-limited/ Here's my industry review on "Dad-Feelings Limited" (it has spoilers so I pasted the "My thoughts" section below).

The Simpsons starts off 2021 with a pretty damn good episode, and while I may have preferred that Fox aired Bless the Harts‘ table read episode instead, since they’re behind one episode and were pushed back again to air the pilot of The Great North to lead out the NFL, I can say that I’m happy that we got a quality episode of The Simpsons to start.

But Season 32, so far, in my opinion, has been very hit or miss, and most of the season so far is more of a miss. However, I will have to say when it comes to the two nothing sitcoms of the AniDom block, that The Simpsons in its current state, is better than Family Guy in its current state. And that’s simply because when the writers and producers try harder like they did here, they make some pretty, damn good stuff. Believe it or not, when more effort is put into something, it works. And when it doesn’t like some of the other ones this season, it’s lazy, it’s boring, it’s played out, and it’s especially unfunny and cringy.

And that’s what “Dad-Feelings Limited” does solidly at. For one, it’s not a rehash of older episodes. It’s different than the typical Homer/Marge marriage crisis or Lisa stating her political opinion episodes. Episodes focusing on the family tend to be mostly boring and played out because we’ve had so many of them. Focusing on one of the minor characters, especially after 695 episodes, feels better because there are things fans have always wanted to know about them, and now they do because the producers and writers decided to make an episode that’s different, but also interesting.

The plot direction with exploring CBG’s past and present life was interesting and never boring. I think we really needed an episode like this to dive into a minor character’s background, and move away from Homer/Marge episodes. ‘The Road to Cincinnati” did the same thing with an episode focused on Principal Skinner and Superintendent Chalmers and it proved to be decent as well, whereas episodes about marriage crisis rehash like “The 7 Beer Itch” or a “no one likes Mr. Burns” episode like “Undercover Burns” that’s been seen many times tend to be poor.

I liked seeing the two couples bond over trivia, even if it does feel a bit out of character for Homer. I think one of the best parts though was CBG confronting his dad, and how willingly his dad was to play with him. It ends a bit predictable, but nice to see someone get what we wanted them to get. I don’t like CBG sometimes, but there are times that I do feel bad for him, and this is one of those times. The new voice actress who played Kumiko did a great job, and so did the guest star for CBG’s dad.

“The Dad-Feelings Limited” does a solid job at diving into a minor character’s life, while also managing to keep me interested through the entire plot and to be pretty funny as well. This episode was certainly a memorable one to start off 2021, and may be the second best episode of the season so far, after “I, Carumbus”. I’m impressed and this is an easy recommendation for a diehard Simpsons fan who may not have time to see all the clutter, but wants something new, yet fun. And I’ve seen all 695 episodes, some multiple times even. Although I’m skeptical because this is likely to be a “one of the more memorable ones” while the rest is in mediocrity, I am looking forward to many of the upcoming episodes in seasons 32 and 33, including the show’s milestone 700th episode, which is coming sometime in spring of 2021.

A strong 4/5 for sure. I really enjoyed this.

I really wasn’t a fan of the premise of this one. Homer and Marge atfemtping to manipulate Comic Book Guy into wanting children made them quite unlikable. And really, why did he need children? Because it’s the “normal” thing for couples in shows to do? Comic Book Guy is the quintessential nerdy loser, and giving him a wife and now even a child totally ruins everything about him. I get that they need to change things up in season 32, but they did it in the most cliché way available by giving them a child. I could go on about this, but I won’t.

It was interesting to get some backstory to Comic Book Guy, although the writers didn’t even try to come up with some sort of explanation; we just got a narrator and then Marge somehow knowing exactly what happened. They sort of lampooned it at the end with Marge’s “OK...” but that doesn’t really make it better. I wish they had just had someone explain it to them or figured out something. The story itself was kind of cute, although the reason for Comic Book Guy’s dad not giving him the baseball simply because he didn’t have the “heart” to do so felt somewhat lazy.

You make a few interesting points. Mainly that its taken for granted that a married couple "needs" children and it was all about him coming around to it. I dont think it's necessary a problem for the episode but its always interesting to be aware of things that are hegemonically assumed in media. I disagree that it ruins his character though. Nerd culture isnt some fringe thing anymore, plenty of people married with children can still act like this. Plus you can do character stuff like him forcing his childhood unto his child. I do think the exposition dumb felt a tiny bit odd, but there was no way they were going to go through that much information in the third act otherwise and they at least made it visually interesting.

Yeah, you have a point about the “nerd culture” being a lot more mainstream now. I guess if we want to make it set in the present, it does fit more than it would in the past at least. And I do like the idea of forcing childhood on his child. Although knowing the show and what it’s done recently with status quo changes, CBG’s assumed kid likely won’t show up much, so it’s unlikely the writers would do something like that.

And yes, the third act with that exposition didn’t bother me that much; I just thought it was kind of weird. I don’t know anything about Wes Anderson films, which that’s apparently a parody of, so if they have narration like that, maybe I can cut it some more slack.

Well, I'm glad I stuck around for the 3rd act. There were a few funny parts leading up to it but I was worried it would just peter out in typical modern simpsons fashion.

3.5/5, i'll be generous and round it up to 4/5

I actually just got done watching this one after being unable to do so yesterday due to the usual site I go to for the FOX shows not having the episode up when they normally do (probably due to the change in time). I might go more into what I thought in another post as I don't have enough time or energy to do so now but it was definitely one of the better episodes we've gotten in a while this season... However, I didn't think it was as amazing as most everyone else so far is making it out to be (largely due to what [MENTION=21074]Financial Panther[/MENTION] pointed out regarding the bad characterization) and was for me ultimately just another slightly better than average modern day episode.

2/5.

This episode was really good. Comic Book Guy being wholesome was not something I knew I needed but here we are. I also like how Kumiko actually got mad at Homer and Marge for getting her to want a baby. Not to mention CBG's backstory being told.

Also CBG and Kumiko have a fetish for the female gremlin and the beaver from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe respectfully. Not sure how to feel about that tbh.

5/5.

(I'm glad that I could finally watch it after it took until today for the episode to be available on my regular viewing outlet).

So I watched this episode with expectations that in all honesty were not too big and I ended up very pleasantly surprised. This was a very good one, even great in parts. The relationship between Comic Book Guy and his wife Kumiko's has been sorely neglected and here they really got a good and interesting plot where they get into a conflict whether to have a baby or not (which Kumiko becomes obsessed with after spending a bit of time with Maggie Simpson while CBG doesn't as he don't want to commit to it due to feeling scared) which ultimately ends with CBG running away and hiding in his childhood home, closed off from society & a nice and suitable little connected side story of the Simpsons wanting to help the couple by inspiring them both to want to have kids (but going too far). What struck me the most was how organic it felt, rolling along smoothly with a lot of energy and good voice performances all around & that really helped the plot which could have tanked if handled poorl (shocked this was by Ryan Koh) & it made for an very entertaining and enjoyable episode. Maybe not one of the all time best modern episodes overall, but still a lot of fun.

The story got off to a good start right away (skipping that pesky time-filling intro scene), with CBG & Kumiko getting up from bed (guessing the fact they share the Magnesium man pajamas, with CBG wearing the bottom half and Kumiko the top half is a 'Goldfinger' reference, which would be neat) and starting their calm day while the Simpsons are in a rush for a "Birthday party marathon", and the story bounces back and forth between the two for the first two-three minutes in a good and amusing fashion with the contrasts (it's been done before in other shows, but I think it fit like a glove here) & some nice jokes were to be had, like CBG's burritos that Homer could sense the quantity of, Marge being covered up while eating a pizza slice made from pizza leftovers & some rich kid being mistaken for Bart; "Leland Hubner the 3rd" is such a funny name to me). I really liked how the Albertson's (CBG & Kumiko) and the Simpson parents met and bonds at & over trivia night at Moe's and complemented each other well, winning the trophy (some decent gags with Moe having locked the regulars in the cellar & obliviously thinking 'Star Wars' is something dirty & I liked the variety of secondary characters, like Artie Ziff and several recent HD era characters).

I also liked the noodle restaurant scene with CBG and Homer bonding some more over messily eating their noodles while Marge and Kumiko bonds over the former giving the latter some relationship advice (such as introducing the ponchos she wears when Homer eats something "slurpable"; loved the detail of them putting them on after they have already gotten noodle soup and loose noodles over them. That I found pretty funny). So Marge has Kumiko come over (and I like the moment that reveals that Marge Homer-proofed the couch by welding it a steel bottom under the cusions) and ends up telling Kumiko to look after Maggie for a bit, which leads to a lovely little scene of Kumiko calming Maggie down and becoming friends with her (even singing a Japanese lullaby song); that was just full of heart, and now she demands of CBG to procreate with her, which he is unsure of. This was handled very nicely, both with some realistic drama of someone not feeling like he'll be the father-type and some pop culture/geek jokes (such as CBG not thinking his room full of nerd toys is a room for kids & Kumiko trying to seduce him by dressing up like Greta the gremlin from 'Gremlins 2'; that and CBG's line about the movie made me laugh).

So Kumiko is struck by baby fever and it's made worse with CBG's scared refusal to have kids, which of course Marge decides to fix after seeing Kumiko's self-destructive comments on social media pics of Maggie (some of which I think were amusing, such as her wanting to wear Maggie's soiled diaper as a hat. Gross but funny) and she ends up taking the whole family to see the Albertsons at a cemetary screening (such an unsuitable place for a movie showing) of "'Forward To The Past' (dunno why they just couldn't use 'Back To The Future' as they just used 'Star Wars' earlier, plus a huge missed opportunity at having Christopher Lloyd guest starring as Doc Brown instead of Castellaneta doing an impression and maybe Michael J Fox as Marty. Oh well). The Simpsons try to have CBG & Kumiko look after the kids and bond with them, which I admit felt really sketchy as it just felt pushy and manipulative, but the intent was good despite overdoing it & I think the bits with CBG and Bart & "She-Bart"/Lisa were pulled off well (and I liked the moment with the kids loving the movie in the end despite their prior uninterest and CBG being happy, told by Kumiko he got to experience the film as if it was the first time, which is through the eyes of kids).

Meanwhile, Homer & Marge go making love in a crypt (which feltreally messed up) and being locked inside & once the move is over, Bart and Lisa cannot find them and go searching with CBG, Kumiko & naturally Maggie in tow. Great moment with Bart messing around scaring Lisa with talk about zombies and that Homer & Marge turned into ones (I really got vibes of 'Halloween Of Horror' there with Lisa's vulnerable sides) and it was made even better with both Lisa and Bart breaking down sobbing with tears, snot and all when there's noise and movements coming from a crypt (which is just Homer & Marge trying to get out); this felt so earnestly human I felt thoroughly surprised. So CBG ruins his good chance at showing the kids emotional support and flees, Homer & Marge luckily gets out and Kumiko is sad CBG ran away from her (I really felt bad for her. She really got quite the bit of development in this episode, which should've happened sooner). It was very satisfying Kumiko chewing Homer & Marge for trying to push her and CBG to have kids (and them acting like him running away wasn't their fault at all) and forcing them to go get him back, which they immediately run to do (that really was a great moment for her. Hopefully she'll get more of those).

Then we get to the last third with Marge followed by Homer visits CBG's childhood home, a wayside mansion, and confronts his old, stamp collecting father calling himself Postage Stamp Fellow. This felt like an odd turn, with CBG being revealed to come from a family of obsessive collectors and him having been the odd one out as a kid and never got his father's love, turning to comic books after losing a pee-wee baseball game as the father wasn't in the stands (the old "lonely rich kid" trope, sorta), as if it was a little bit too over the top for the episode, but I did like the father (performed well by Dan Aykroyd, whose voice I did not recognize) and the way the flashbacks were made in the schematic dollhouse style of director Wes Anderson was an interesting way of doing it and adding a splash of color and more amusement to it (and Marge hearing and reacting to the narrator was funny). Marge confront the dad (threatening to lick a collectable stamp; hilarious) and the reason he didn't go to the game was due to not know how to comfort his son if he lost so he went to buy a collector's item instead (a baseball signed by star player Sandy Kovaczs) which CBG now gets and their dad-son relationship is restored as they play with the encased ball.

It ends well with CBG returning to Kumiko with his faith and all restored (as "Changed Better Guy") and agrees to have child in a bit of a suitably weird scene with him dressed as Mr. Beaver from 'Narnia' and she dons her Greta gremlin ears yet again as they dance in a romantic and sweet end bit, closing out the episode which as a whole worked out very well. It had a strong and interesting plot, some really good character moments and decent characterizations (even if Homer & Marge were exaggerated with trying to "force" CBG into having a baby with Kumiko, but I forgive them as they got chewed out), good jokes and references, solid pacing & a right balance. I do think the last third with the mansion, Postage Stamp Fellow & CBG's past with the stylized Wes Anderson storytelling felt a little too much in a sense compared to the prior parts of the story which was really down to earth (as if it could have been its own story altogether, as mentioned) and I would have preferred something more grounded and less silly, but it still worked nicely so all in all, not a bad show and to a point unlike what I initially had thought it was gonna be.

This one gets a strong 4/5 from me. It was a very good and likeable episode, sharp and focused and telling a good dramatic story of Comic Book Guy and Kumiko (whose new voice actress Jenny Yokobori does splendidly, despite the voice still being a little too stereotypical). I am still surprised it was written by Ryan Koh (easily his best so far, bar none), though I am sure that much like with Jeff Westbrook's 'The Road To Cincinnati' Matt Selman really had to hold the reins properly here for a turnout like this. A nice start to the new year.

Last edited:
Loved it. My only critisism is that the third act and the backstory felt meaty enough that it could have been its own episode. But it's minor. 5/5.

Homer was full of fantastic lines tonight. Everyone loved each other and there's zero cynisisim in anyone's relationships, neither between the adults or between The Simpsons and their kids. Also they act like kids (a Matt Selman staple). It was nice seeing Homer and Marge be romantic with each other. The plot progression was great, there's no first act that leads into the real plot and it feels unrelated, everything led into each other organically and it all made sense. I'll even admit I got invested when Comic Book Guy ran off and teared up when Kumiko got really sad.

>good episode ends
>executive producer Matt Selman
every time

EDIT: Also there were some very good animation sequences, like when Homer went in the bounce house and everyone was jumping on him, or when CBG slid off the couch.

You said everything I wanted to say, good job!
I was going into this episode with a “2/5” as with other recent episodes. But the pacing was really, really well done. No distractions, every one was in character and we finally close comic book guys chapters. I wish we got his real name.
The ending was really sweet, but I’m not sure what the reference was. Seeing Lisa’s outfit from “summer of 4 ft 2” was a great one, And I wish Maggie had a gun next to her pacifier to reference her love of weapons. Speaking of, Maggie was just adorable in this episode! They really rammed up her cute factor today.

I give this episode a 4.5/5

[MENTION=78978]speedie[/MENTION], Comic Book Guy said in Homer and Ned’s Hail Mary Pass that his name is Jeff Albertson. Apparently the writers’ intention with that was to anger fans, but I was really glad he got a real name.

Some more things I'll add:

* In preparation for this episode I rewatched two older ones, Eight Misbehavin' (because I saw people comparing this episode to it when it was first announced) and Married to the Blob (because it was Kumiko's debut). I was hoping this one would've been slightly better than at least one of them (former was decent but the second was good outside of the episode grinding to a halt in it's third act for the extended Studio Ghibli sequence) but obviously that wasn't the case only being slightly better than most modern episodes.
* Best visual gag of the episode goes to the kid that looked like Bart actually being at the house when Homer tricks Ned into babysitting the kids.
* When was the last time Artie Ziff was used for filling up the background?!
* For some reason, the way Homer ate reminded me of how the family was normally shown eating in the early seasons.
* I spotted a Funzo among the collectables.
* I see people saying how great it was that Kumiko chewed Homer & Marge out, but from my perspective the episode didn't do a good job of convincing me that the former was fully in the right to do so. Kumiko initially showed interest in wanting a baby without Homer & Marge's intrusion. So for her to yell at them by saying that they planted the seeds when they didn't ultimately just made the scene come across as everyone being in the wrong and nobody coming out of it smelling like roses.
* Speaking of Married to the Blob, Comic Book Guy's backstory was this episode's Studio Ghibli homage scene as both happen in the third act and completely grind their respective episodes to a halt. The former was at least visually nice despite being entirely superfluous while the latter despite actually going in to the character's history (and not saying "Backstory" as a lame dad joke that only the writers found funny) was more boring which made it the worse of the two.
* Callbacks to past episodes during the portraits in the credits were nice.
* While this was far better than a certain episode from a year ago that will remain nameless as well as The Hateful Eight-Year-Olds, the fact that all three have the same showrunner leaves to me sometimes wondering if episodes like them would have more people being vocal about their flaws if it wasn't Matt Selman at the helm.

Back