Global Moderator
L6Atexs.png

Season 31, Episode 15
Original Airdate
: March 8, 2020
Writer: J. Stewart Burns
Director: Michael Polcino
Showrunner: Al Jean
Synopsis: Marge implements a screen time limit for the whole family, all of whom all easily adjust to the new lifestyle. However, Marge realizes that she is the one addicted - not her husband and children.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Episode (votes will not be cited below if the user has voted in the thread poll above)
1010011010 {2} / BartArt {3} / BloodySimpsonChibi {3} / Financial Panther {3}
Frankbags {3} / Kaine {3} / Nameless {4} / orangemo {4} / Scrooge McDuck {3}
The Abominable Dr. Lenny {3} / Trab Pu Kcip {3} / Venomrabbit {4}​

R&R Poll Average Score: 3.21 / 5 (as of September 25, 2021 / 19 votes)
IMDB User Rating: 6.6 / 10

Last edited:
You know, for the past year or so, My love of the Simpsons had been going through sort of a revamp and part of this is me realizing just how much of a bitch Marge can be sometimes. Intending to only enforce the limited screentime on the rest of the family and making everyone go to rehab when she's the one with the problem? :nuh-uh:

I give it a 6/10

This was just OK. The sign language stuff was cute, and there were some good jokes in this episode, but there were also some real duds and long list jokes that we haven’t seen in a while. (“MORE or ALL DONE?” is just like the infamous “WORKING HARD or HARDLY WORKING?” from Them, Robot.) I don’t know if I really bought that the family had such a great time without their devices, but I understand it was needed to make the plot work and show the contrast between their ability to function without them versus Marge’s inability to function without them.

The scenes at the rehab center were all right, but Homer’s big speech seemed unnecessary, and I’m still unsure what the guy in charge actually did regarding Marge’s email account. What kind of spam was he sending? It wasn’t clear to me. The escape adventure was kind of fun to watch, and there was a nice callback to Homer’s word-unscrambling when he rearranged the sign’s letters. It seemed awfully convenient that the bullies were there with Jupiter One for a quick way to get the family home and end the episode. An adequate offering. 3/5

Apparently, the Simpsons has a new consulting producer now, and her name is Christine Nangle. Has anyone ever noticed that?

I enjoyed this episode overall, I wasn't crazy about the overall plot but it was filled with enough funny gags that didn't take away from the plot. The social commentary was relevant without feeling too preachy or agenda driven. I liked Werner Herzog's character and the scenes at the rehab clinic. I did feel like it got resolved a little too quickly. The last scene felt a little crude, I have no issue with Troy McClure's love of fish... so who knows why it bothered me, it just felt a little weird.

I gave last week's episode a 4/5 and enjoyed that one more than this one.. so a 3/5 seems fair.

I'm still suprised that Patty and Selma where smoking as Disney has a no smoking policy but I'm wondering if this will start when Disney takes over everything. Anyways not a bad episode. Had some really funny parts in it. Ralph, popping his head up with the wolves and saying I'm the Beta is so Ralph. Using a card catalog reminds me how I was taught on how to look for a book when I was in grade school. Like Lisa, I actually like reading an actual book you can hold. Seeing Bart use his imagination and having the bullies join was better than having him beat up. I'm sure there is more but that's all for now unless I remember more.

My only issue is that has this premises been done before, specially with Marge? It seems typical of Marge to drag the family into everything that is her problem. Another time where she sets the rules and sh breaks them. I mean even Homer, (sometimes Bart and Lisa) were able to stay away from devices and they usually are the ones that cheat

Bad was some of the continuous rehab places some funny and some not. Stop gambling or double your money back, was pretty good. But they went on too long. Another was the sign language with Maggie. It joke went on too long. Plus Marge didn't even wait for her to answer. She should have waited for her answer then gave her the Cheerios. Also, whatever happen to the baby monitor that translated baby talk?

3/5 (for now)

...and another thing the Chief getting a semen sample for DNA? :sick:

Last edited:
Whatever happened to Uncle Herb's baby translator? Would of been a fun excuse to bring Danny Devito back on, maybe he modernizes his invention into a phone app. Guess that would conflict with the episode's premise though..

Werner Herzog's line deliveries were a little amusing, that was about it. Episode said nothing about technology abuse or..rehabilitation centers, Marge's reason for making her husband and kids give up their phones then go to a rehab was weak. She seems unnerved in the 2nd act, but then acts crazy for one shot in the 3rd act. Homer's speech about the importance of TV was almost something.

2/5 whatever

Well after last week, this was a good palette cleanser.

I guess for the most part, my overall opinion is almost identical to Gorillas on the Mast, plotting was a lil' weak but a lot of the jokes worked well, mainly the Maggie related stuff, Homer's speech on the importance of screens, Jupiter One. It didn't put me in a bad mood just seeing it, but also a bit too low-key to really be a 5, so I guess I'll go 4.5 again, then round down. Mighta been up but there wasn't enough of Bart & Maggie as I'd hoped. Was nice to see the former actually being likeable again, though.

Not sure what to expect from next week but looking at the screenshots it's probably gonna be pretty to look at, at least.

Last edited:
Not sure what to expect from next week but looking at the screenshots it's probably gonna be pretty to look at, at least.
Rob Oliver episodes are always visually appealing if nothing else. Just a shame that his assigned episodes from the ZABF production run haven't exactly been barn burners. Would rather Oliver be utilized for episodes that'll really benefit from his added care and attention instead of... well, episodes from Ryan Koh, Joel H. Cohen and Jeff Westbrook.

At least Al Jean crafted the original idea for next week's episode so it should at least have a solid foundation.

I don't think *anything* this season has been a barn burner so... pretty meh on that. At least not a barn burner in a good sense. Like if there were puppies and kittens in the barn.

Admittedly, worried it'll end up being a lot of "haha Nelson's poor" jokes, and some can work (like in Hail to the Teeth) but it can get a bit much. I do miss his characterizations where we was an apethetic grump, like in Lemon of Troy or Lisa's Date with Density. But then even in a lot meh or bad episodes, he's been the best part lately...

[MENTION=48254]1010011010[/MENTION] made a point about rehab clinics and if anyone wants to get some insight on actual rehab clinics watch John Oliver's Rehab episode from May 20, 2018. Basically it's a lot of bullshit.

This was a pretty decent episode. It was nothing great nor really good, but it had an entertaining simple plot about something that is still topical (peoples addiction to their screen devices), with the Simpson family having a problem with being so obsessed with having their faces glued to their screens (from TV to smartphones) that they have stopped interacting normally with each othernow apparent when Maggie is essentially ignored as she's reaching out, and Marge deciding to pull a ban on them (limiting their screentime to 30 minute a week) but things not completely going as planned with Marge breaking her own rule and dragging the whole family along to a no-screen rehab retreat center. This kind of plot has been done before and better (like on other shows) & I noticed a bit of reusing some of the elements we've seen earlier in the series, but as a whole it wasn't too bad an certainly at least in the middling territory. It's an good and interesting premise, yet not a great execution.

I gotta say that it did have a rather strong start that I enjoyed, that with Maggie showing that she wants to make herself heard and Marge taking it up on herself to guide and encourage her baby daughter to express herself (in words if possible). This didn't go on for longer than maybe four or five minutes but aside from the overlong "More or all done?" part I think it worked well and was adorable with Maggie essentially being the one who pulled the story along for that time (with some assistance from Marge) and reaching the point of doing an simplified sign language of sorts which Marge sees as a success, with it ending up being the start of the screenless-plot as Marge has had enough of the screen addiction that makes the others ignore even the development of Maggie. This main plot continued well with them all (including Marge, after some coercing) putting away their devices. Naturally, after a week Marge finds out the others cheated to make their screentime look shorter with an "screentime reversal" service, prompting her to properly hide the devices while playing an sound effects CD (a nice screw the audience joke; I did not expect that to be honest).

Here the story really started, with all them going on with their daily business without their screens (unlike everyone else who are still married to theior devices) with some enjoyable bits, with Homer starting to do word puzzles at the plant and having a blast, Bart playing with a toy rocket he finds on the school roof) and has Jimbo and Dolph join him (with no bullying) & Lisa at the library's basement to look at the card catalog. I really liked the family doing these simple things and finding great joy in it, though I did find it a little contrived the way the lack of one recipe (despite having many cookbooks) made Marge cave in to the devices and the rest of the family find her using them all in the closet to find that recipe, but it wasn't too irksome. Marge forcing them all to go with her to the retreat when she was the only one with a problem incredible unfair (Why must she drag others into her problems? This was always one of her biggest flaws) but it felt better once they all liked retreat (well, at least starting with) and I did like Werner Herzog's doctor character, who had some good lines and was a fun presence overall (and made the latter half worth it).

Speaking of the retreat, I liked the concept and it had some nice visual gags (such as the little bonfire with computers, ipads, etc. as firewood) their stay there gradually making their craving for their screens was amusing, though Homer's speech was superfluous padding. The reveal that the staff (including the doctor) are reaking the rules by being on their computers and using the guests' personal login information to send spam was kind of a fun twist (if kinda nonsensical) & the family members are actually prisoners ("Let me remind you: This is an evil rehab center" explained it all; the line reading cracked me up). So the family escapes at night and it was an fun little scene with Maggie playing a pivotal role in getting past those invisible lasers with her sign language (that was cute); it was silly how once they made it out, Jimbo and Dolph were there with the cardboard rocketship from before but eh, it was kind of a funny callback. The doctor is arrested and the retreat shut down (presumably), followed by a scene with the doctor trying to make Chief Wiggum release him was alright (But I did miss a final scene with our favorite family. The main plot desperately needed some closure).

The episode was not one of those that had a lot of good jokes and gags, with some falling kinda flat and those overly long ones (they were too much and just ate up time. I'm sure that most of the time they have those on the show its just for the sake of filling it out due to not being able to write something good in their place), but there certainly were some that were pretty funny all things considered, such as the doctor and most of his little scenes. The animation was all right and the characterizations were mostly rather good, aside from some exaggeration in a few places and Marge taking out her failure on the family by punishing them along with her. As for guest stars, Werner Herzog as the doctor in charge of the retreat did a really good job (like in his earlier roles on the show) and he got some of the funnier moments (even something as simple as him admitting that he did not know he had an accent) & Drew Pinsky & Dana Gould did okay in their brief but ultimately pointless and forgettable parts. Nothing to shout about but nothing to really complain about either.

So yeah, this was an all right little episode that did fairly well with what it had. The plot was pretty simple and straightforward for the most part (aside from that last act, really) and was decently paced throughout (though sadly lacked an ending and closure with the family's screenless plot; It would've been great with an proper epilogue with them instead of that pointless Wiggum scene) and it made for an perfectly okay, if very unspectacular, episode. It felt like it could have been done better (maybe Selman could have smoothed it out? not saying he surely could fix it but this felt like it'd have been an good fit for him as a showrunner), but I did like the somewhat down to earth tone (aside from the turn in that last third) and the focus on the family, with not many of the secondary cast outside of Grampa and the Bouvier twins appearing. Not a great episode but not bad. Probably one of the better middling episodes of the season.

I'm giving this an 3/5. It is one of those modern episodes that just screams decently middle grade to me, yet without being a huge disappointment. It didn't reach up to it's full potential due to the filler moments and some odd turns & plot holes that could have been done differently or not at all but as it is presented it is far from bad, just being very much okay.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm probably gonna forget about this one by next week, but at best it's like The Miseducation of Lisa Simpson and Frinkcoin before it where it's serviceably harmless which is pretty much the most I could ask for from the show these days.

A generous 3/5.

I got a little caught up in the "references"...

When they change the sign from "Garden" to "Danger," I thought of the scene in THOH II where, after Lisa uses the monkey's paw to wish for world peace, a girl changes a sign marked "Danger" to "Garden."

Also, in the Jumble that Homer solved:
(a) The circles are meaningless - normally, the letters in the circles are then arranged to solve the riddle in the picture;
(b) There shouldn't be more than one way to "solve" a word, but the first two words are "dad" (which can also be "add") and "ate" (which can also be "eat" or "tea").

Not as great as last weeks episode. I'd rather not laugh at some jokes than actually cringe at 1.

I really laughed at the first "Jupiter One" joke when Jimbo was threatening Dolph then smash cut to full on cardboard Jupiter One

I’ma give this a 4/5. It was really funny but the ending was kinda messy. I liked how Marge was the only one addicted.

Poor Marge just has to be addicted to a lot of things, it must run in the family where Patty & Selma have their smoke addiction aswell. I found this a rather enjoyable episode. It seemed heavily Simpson-focussed where we don't see much of the secondary characters at all, the most we've seen are the bullies for a few scenes and Wiggum during the ending. Even Maggie has more of a role than usual and takes up much of the first act and somewhat uses her sign language near the ending aswell.

The couch gag just went by without doing anything special. The first act starts off well with Marge trying to learn Maggie hand gestures and some of the jokes that came with it. This joke of Marge learning Maggie ''more or all done'' lasted way to long. I liked the gags with Moleman stuck under a tree and Bart trying to teach Maggie poker. Also liked Maggie's response to the new Star Wars movie and how she is no longer America's baby now that baby Yoda is a thing. The main plot starts with the family being distracted by their mobile devices (apparently Homer was playing Tapped Out), Marge limits their computer time for 30 minutes a week and funnily enough the family hired someone to revert the times. Homer now solves easy crossrow puzzles, Bart plays iamginery games with the bullies, and Lisa back to reading physical books. Turns out Marge couldn't keep herself from using the internet either and I found it funny how she kept using the ''thats what an addict would say'' line to Lisa.

The second half takes place at some rehab center which had a lot of good moments. I liked the new character who seemed to have good intentions but turns out to be a crook near the end. Some funny scenes with Homer letting the new guy play his cards and gassing Bart's room. I like the way the rehab center got exposed to being the ones who send all kinds of ads where the Simpsons have to escape from. I like how they somewhat concluded Maggie's sign language aswell where she communicated to use the baby powder to see the lasers. Funny guitar song from Homer that came with it. The ending was alright, but I would've liked to see how the Simpsons now dealt with their internet addiction back home.

This episode has a good amount of laughs and showcases a lot of the Simpson family. But I find that it lacks in story which felt like there wasn't much of it despite having no sub plot. Marge being addicted is nothing new, and we don't see it being resolved either. I give credit to the use of Maggie in this episode and that the new character was pretty good. The pacing was average and the ending could've been better. Its probably not an episode that will stand out much, but overall it was a good watch. I'd rate it about a 3.5/5, but I'll have to round it down because I don't think a 4/5 is justified for this epsiode.

3/5

Pretty decent episode. Maybe a little under my expectations but not that much disappointing either. I said it quite a few times and I say it again, I like down-to-earth plots a lot and this one had potential with this simple story about the family reducing their screen addiction. Not the most original topic in the world, especially right now, I believe a number of series did that a couple of years ago at least, but as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty enjoyable if not flawless.

But I have to admit I have paradoxical feelings about how the plot was handled. To me, the fact the plot goes all over the place is both a quality and a flaw. A quality because I like how this episode tackles basically all possible ways for the family to handle a limited screentime (by the way, the screentime reduced to 30 minutes a week, meta joke on purpose ? I kinda like it anyway). First with the family cheating about it, and then finding a way to replace their phone time. Homer doing simple word games isn't anything new but that brings some funny moments ("I find words I don't even know") despite Homer being sometimes a bit too stupid. Bart playing toys with the bullies kinda reminded me Itchy and Scratchy and Marge. As for Lisa, well, it's very quick but the possums made me laugh. I enjoy how the family is able to stop being addicted, except Marge, which is funny because she's supposed to be the reasonable one in the house (and the one who launch the limited screentime), despite again not being that much original, with some $pringfield vibe. Though I like how she's convinced that the family still is addicted while she's the addicted one.

I didn't talk about the first act by the way. The structure of the episode makes him looking like a blend between several episodes, with the Maggie little subplot about the baby trying to talk sign language that takes almost all the first act, but that's nice to watch, except a way too long (and annoying, sorry Kavner) "more or all done". Some bits like Moleman, Bart teaching poker to Maggie or the player on YouTube ("Mom, i'm talking to 30 million people !") are pretty funny and the "no more Star Wars" joke just cracked me up. So the second act begins as I already talked about it. I must say that overall I found the plot structure weak on some aspects. And I'd say that the third act is the more hit-or-miss of them regarding that problem. I liked the rehab center idea (I accept the fact that all the family go to this center with Marge while she's the only one addicted since she believes that the rest of the family still is too) and I liked Herzog's character and performance, but it does seem like they didn't have enough material for the plot while it looks absolutely rushed but also padded at the same time, they didn't focus enough.

I really like how this rehab center awakens their addiction while they (minus Marge) weren't addicted to screens anymore, this is a clever idea. A number of jokes in this center work well. But the three last minutes were completely unneccesary in my opinion, it's like they were desperate to find a conclusion so there's this out of nowhere twist about the rehab center being an evil rehab center, that alone I don't mind, but the whole scene with the family trying to sneak out of it is totally dispensable (despite being kinda entertaining) and so the episode lacks of a real conclusion about the family's plot. I believe that this episode could've been better with a shorter first act, more material about the family minus Marge not being addicted anymore, and without the last three minutes, or at least with the episode ending on the joke about the center being evil, that could've been a funny sour gag to end the episode in contrast with the sweet reconciliation. Oh well, I have to admit that the very last joke with Wiggum cracked me up as well.

All in all, this was a decent episode. I think Venomrabbit summed it up quite well, the plot is pretty weak (though several elements of it are good), the pacing as well, and the lack of conclusion is a bummer, but it kept me entertained, the jokes were good, there were clever ideas and nice characterizations. Could've been better, could've been more memorable, but far from being unpleasant to watch. Let's say a 3/5 rounded down from a 3.5, I'd like to rate it a 4/5 but it has too much pacing and plot flaws and didn't reach its full potential.

After watching Bart in a simulation handled by the CEOs of Marble, after watching John Frink becoming a billionaire, after watching Bart and Lisa battling against an algorithm (and Homer against a soda machine), after watching Artie Ziff getting married with a robot, it is the turn of an episode to calm us down, staring by the Simpson family, affronting a likely situation, as in the earliest years (or at least that is what we expected).
7sTdco9.jpg

A family-centric episode with Maggie moments. That's nice!

The biggest achievement of Screenless is that it found a decent function to every member of the Simpsons family. Watching Homer unscrambling riddles was quite a bit interesting. It reminded me of the subplot of Hardly Kirk-ing. In both cases, Homer affronts an intellectual challenge, learns them quickly and resolves them without major difficulty. I chuckled when he discovered he can solve words he doesn't even know. The kids, for their parts, took air fresh returned their activities of twenty-five years ago. In that sense, it was actually a down-to-heart, as we speculated in the preview. Bart used his imagination to play with a toy in an environment polluted by phones. I enjoyed those short moments he shared with Jimbo and Dolph, playing like kids, building a ship with paperboard and teasing Martin. At first instance, I thought the bullies would annoy Bart, but this scenario was better for me. Meanwhile, Lisa comes back to a forgotten era where the books were interesting. Her intromission to the library basement has a well-done atmosphere. I liked her gag enjoying bending a book cover. Maggie was my absolute favorite element of the episode (when not?). Her scenes keep the tenderness she always has. And we have a high quantity of them. It feels a bit desperate when she tries to talk but the family doesn't hear her. I would never expect he was trying to help Hans Moleman. The family tries to teach her the sign language, allowing a recurrent joke throughout the episode. The "More or all Done" teaching was way too long, but almost saved thanks to Maggie cuteness. The baby playing blackjack with Bart was absolutely nice. I hope another plot that evolves both of them in the future.
yiDY9Rr.jpg

The montage of Homer celebrating was funny too.

Even the peripheral characters of the family have got brief moments. Abe appears to play blackjack with Bart and to let enter savage animals into the house, while Patty & Selma are smoking in their apartment. I disliked how Maggie was involved in that scene, but I am glad that the clampdown from Disney mentioned in Frinkcoin was just a joke. But the most important protagonist was Marge. It is funny how evident is her hypocrisy when it is implied the violence contained in Hansel and Gretel and the double-standard of what is wrong and what is right. And then the formula is repeated when she turns out being addicted to phones, notebooks, and the internet. I laughed out loud when she hides all the phones and we hear some sounds, each one stranger than the previous. I actually can relate to her addiction, that blows up when she searches for a recipe. There are some jokes about it, with some chuckle-worthy title of books and that hilarious call to find out the recipe that Marge did to Luigi, who reacts negatively to her question. That scene when the family finds her locked in the closet with the phone and the notebook was a bit perturbing and represents perfectly the level of obsession she reaches. And how Marge decides to curate herself? Condemning his whole family to a rehab center. Why? If the problem is about Marge, is Marge the one who should be helped. Maybe it could be better if the rest of the family continue their utopia without technology and discovering that life is better/easier with it, while Marge goes to rehab alone. But well, the entire family went there.
9Ketq8X.jpg

Marge is literally me trying to watch an episode of the Simpsons with audio and subtitles in English.

So, the second half of the story is about the family in that rehab center, handled by Werner Herzog's character, Dr. Lund. I never cared for his other character, Walter Hotenhoffer, but this one was fine. He has some amusing lines. The explanation about why everything is free is a bit absurd, but it actually was an excuse since it was not the real way it was sustained. The description of the rehab center was a bit overlooked; I think it could be deeper but what we got was fine. The jokes about his accent were kinda funny and they didn't overstep the limit to make it unfunny. He also had a tolerable dynamic with the Simpsons family. He observes the destructive-spirit in Bart. I really, really liked the scene where Homer puts him to play a solitary although that was a work Homer should have done. I would never guess that Dr. Pung was going to be the antagonist, not after that extensive Homer's speech about technology and about the behavior of American families. It seems like if the conflict was already solved and the character could maintain his characteristics. He just doesn't have the essence of an antagonist to me. But he finished arrested by Wiggum. By the way, the fourth act, when Wiggum talks about the semen of the convict, completely unnecessary and uncomfortable. I would rather a capturing scene with the family being addicted again instead. The other guest stars obtained forgettable cameos. Dr. Drew appears in an unreal scene, becoming in something similar to Incredible Hulk, while there's a cameo of that guy who wrote the incredible Poppa's Got a Brand New Badge. I don't care for his voice acting, but I hope he decides to come back to the show, if possible.
iaMsri4.jpg

It is always funny when Homer brings up the worst of aby character.

While the obligatory appearance of guest stars forced an eccentric conflict and avoid what could have been a totally familiar story, I think it worked pretty fine thanks not only because Dr. Lund was likable, also –and principally– because the family kept the focus on them. Their funny interventions were not limited to the establishment of the conflict. Instead, they followed up until the end. The satirical comment about those centers was clever: if someone is talking to you about don't do something, you will want to do it, whatever it be The conclusion was kinda satisfying. Not because the problem they are involved in was catching (as I said, the plot-twist about Lund using Marge's accounts to spam was lazy). It is because the family escape from the center as a family in a really agreeable sequence, where Marge realized everyone must take their shoes off to don't make noise, Homer invents an anagram, changing the meaning of Garden to Danger, Maggie discovers how to make invisible lasers to visible one, Lisa spreads the talc, and Bart is benefited by the bullies, who were conveniently expecting in the outside with the Jupiter One ship. The episode does a ton of references to videogames and social networks. Homer playing a parody of Tapped Out (yeah, a parody of their own product), The Detonator playing a parody of Fortnite. Marge mentions Instagram and Facebook, and she also uses Pinterest. Homer says that the truth is in Google, TikTok or Reddit. Dr. Mumg adverts he is able to hack Spotify. And, my personal favorite, Bart being desperate because he needs to use Twitter to retweet Krusty. Any resemblance to reality is purely coincidence.
FmE2HZB.jpg

A familiar episode must contain a familiar resolution.

Screenless was a pleasant episode. A necessary cutting to a season that suddenly changed the style of the show. Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie trying to change a little to also a special aspect of their lives and finding out new-old things to do, which could be ruined by the guest stars but instead it remembered us what this show is nowadays.

4/5

Well, it's been a really long time since The Simpsons got turned into clichés, and we lost the raw power of the original. A lot of episodes
have the same pattern - it's sharing a similar plot idea and running the same bunch of gags over and over... Those writers are going to go
back to the same well into it dries up! I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do because it still works to some extent, and "Screenless" is proof
of that. But what I don't like is the way they are repeating itself - being so close to the "point of self-parody" and yet so far from the glory
of the original plots to which they referred. Why its creative stuff are so embarrassed to produce a high-level parody of their own show?
However, it's a quite decent episode by today's standards and I'm giving this a 3/5.

Hey for those who watch Phil Payton he is making a significant change to how he reviews the episodes so he can continue to work on Animated Masterpieces.

His reviews will be much shorter and all Fox cartoons are combined into one video.

Here's Phil's review on Screenless. He gave it a C+. All his Fox cartoon reviews will be in one video now.

That was fun, but the plotting was a little spotty in places (why did Bart and Lisa start suffering withdrawal symptoms when they didn't need rehab in the first place?) and some of the jokes went on a bit too long (in particular Homer's song, which should never have started at all). Enjoyable, though - the strand with the bullies and the rocket ship was a particularly good laugh. B (4/5 ​for the poll)

I'm addicted to electronics myself, and I can totally relate to Marge in that, but really, I think her problem is that she wants the electronics so he can use them all at the same time, and to prevent anyone else from using her. There was a good use of a guest star, but other than that, I can't really note anything from this episode, It's just like that it just... happened. Nothing great, but nothing bad. Though I'm expecting OFF to be on their phones in no time after this episode.

After all I said, I'll go middle of the line and say 3/5.

Trab's Reviews:
Bart The Bad Guy/Screenless/Better Off Ned

Last edited:
Act 1 - Solid introduction
Act 2 - Bore...less
Act 3 - To describe "the things behind rehab" were really bad idea

I started, that was impressed by using so much sign language (btw, I recently found from Al Jean, it was real language). Initial problem was really good and I'd be agree if it was the main one.:-/

Actually, IMHO, the plot about gadget addictivity is really actual for many of people (to be honest, I discovered that even me is addictible a bit :P).

Next, it was actually interesting to see everyone's scrennless spendtime. I was pleased by Bart's (using kid's immagination) and Lisa's activities.

Almost all rehab part was excessive. It reminded me "Mona Leaves-a", where also 3rd spy act ruined all episode quality. Yes, there was funny moments and escape scene is really nice, but the mood already was different there.

Oh, the end with Wiggum and Lund (btw, Werner Herzog id a great effort to this new character) is like Marge "All/More repeat" - just to fill the time.

plot 16/25
absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening) 21/25
comedy 16/25
originality (level of references and of unoriginality) 20/25

TOTAL 73/100 (3/5, rounded down from 3,5, or B-). STRONG! (the same as "The Fat Blue Line" has "line" is better)

After first watch I choice this episode as one "my favorites" in season 31.

Last edited:
First, shocked there is still only 1 page of discussion:tired:

Let my mark go down to 3,5 to 3/5. The episode start with sweet premise about Maggie and gadgets dependence, but, as for all Jean-run episodes, all went to unfunny gags. The story didn't develop - Nobody (correctly, Marge) didn't learn lesson, if anything.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back