• Total voters

Brad Lascelle

A Fixture in Online Simpsons Fandom Since '93
Global Moderator
TRi9cxP.jpg

Available to Stream on Disney+: May 4, 2021
Writers: Joel H. Cohen, Al Jean & Michael Price
Director: David Silverman
Synopsis: In a daycare far, far away… but still in Springfield, Maggie is on an epic quest for her stolen pacifier. Her adventure brings her face-to-face with young Padawans, Sith Lords, familiar droids, Rebel scum, and an ultimate battle against the dark side.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Users Who Have Voted & Their Score for the Short
(votes will not be cited below if the user has voted in the thread poll above)
Arctan {2} / B-Boy {1} / dorian {1} / jbauer {5} / John95 {1} / orangemo {1} / Szyslak100 {2} / Trab Pu Kcip {2} / Wile E. the Brain {2}​

R&R Poll Average Score: 2.07 / 5 (as of September 23, 2022 / 15 votes)
IMDB User Rating: 6.1 / 10

Last edited:
Man, if you blink at all during this you're liable to miss the entire thing... and that's even with them tacking on a Star Wars credit-inspired list joke right at the end. Makes me a little sad that we live in a world where the Amphibia season finale got delayed but this got rushed out to meet an arbitrary date. That's Disney's sense of priorities for you.

I am willing to be somewhat forgiving on the length and breadth of content given the less than 4-month window here from idea conception to final product... but I was legitimately hopeful for something more than a Longest Daycare reskin. When this is essentially Short #3 and it's already highly derivative of Short #1, that's not exactly establishing a welcome precedent. Imagine if the Ullman shorts did that and Bart Jumps was simply a reskin of Good Night? We wouldn't have a show right now.

And while I get the rationale behind throwing some quick, disposable shorts together to hype up the Disney family of licenses (incidentally, if you're already tapping out of ideas to cover beyond Star Wars and Marvel, you need to look again and see what else Disney has on offer), I think it's important to convey that there are possibilities for storytelling within the animated short medium beyond simply cramming as many references as you can into a tight 3-minute package.

Take advantage of the freedom afforded to you to craft a story outside of the narrow framework of the show's episodic format. Shorts like the Oscar-nominated One Small Step and Oscar-winning If Anything Happens I Love You take you on an emotional journey from beginning to end with characters that you don't even know from their onset and there is zero reason why the Simpsons can't deliver something on that same level of ambition with the right idea and execution. And you can even approach those ideas with the Disney tie-in mindset.

You don't think we want to see a Simpsons-inspired take on Paperman? I know I'd love to see that. You want to do Buster Keaton justice? Take a modern Simpsony crack at some of his own classic material a full century after they were first brought to the silver screen.

That said, my score for The Force Awakens From Its Nap... which I appropriately watched immediately after waking up from my own nap... is a 2/5.

I'm a Star Wars fan, first and foremost. Simpsons always came second. And beyond that, I'm an unabashed Phantom Menace fan, especially that film's soundtrack (I'll take that soundtrack to the grave over any of the ones composed for Disney era SW films). It's not necessarily my favorite of the films, but it captures the innocence of that era through Tatooine and young Anakin in a way none of the other films are able to. And a lot of that is due to that iconic 1999 soundtrack.

Never in my life, could I imagine the Phantom Menace soundtrack fitting in a Simpsons short in such a seamless manner. That's why it's a thing of beauty.

Yes, the story is a rehash of the Longest Daycare. But honestly, for something that took shape in less than three months, I'm impressed! I've been critical of Disney SW before, but in this case, I have zero complaints. It's self-serving and it's designed to please Star Wars fans. It did its work.

Plus, seeing babies frozen in carbonite for acting out just got a belly laugh out of me.

It's a 5/5.

Just a quickly assembled review of this short:

I should preface this by saying that I'm not a Star Wars fan. Oh, I've watched the mainline films and enjoyed them well enough (along with 'Solo' which was fun), but having never grown up with the films as a kid I have never forged the emotional connection which seems to me to be an essential component in one's passion for the franchise. So most if not all of this short is lost on me to begin with from a nostalgia/emotional standpoint.

That said, Star Wars fan or not, this short is trash. On multiple levels. This fawning celebration of a pop-culture behemoth makes me want to gag. It really is just the laziest and most sycophantic form of fan-service with no subversion, mockery or cleverness. It's also really cheap and derivative - there's virtually no story and the premise is more or less a carbon copy of The Longest Daycare with none of that short's flair and originality. The animation is barely any better than an Al Jean produced, Bob Anderson directed HD episode which is especially disappointing from David Silverman. What's more, the short doesn't even bother maintaining any kind of internal logic or consistency. One minute, we're supposed to think this is taking place in the normal world of Springfield (even the synopsis says so), but then Gerald emerges as a Dathomirian baby that can use the Force and Maggie grows baby Yoda ears. What even is this...

I frankly don't care how little time the production team had to whip this together. You can produce great things in 3 or 4 months, but this comes across like it didn't take more than the 4 minutes I spent gawking at it.

1/5

Last edited:
Three minutes of light Star Wars references done in that rushed, incomprehensible fashion iconic to the last decade of The Simpsons.

This felt more appropriate to release as a YouTube short, or attach to the end of an episode of the show. Calling this idea the 3rd “Maggie Simpson In” short kind of “cheapens the brand” when a considerable more effort was put into the previous two.

I was gonna write a review, but after it got deleted twice, I didn't bother to try again. But I agree with Brad here. This was the worst Maggie short, and the production of it is to blame. 2/5.

I'm not going to say that this was downright terrible but... Look, it's not a good look for you when I can say that episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine from it's first seven seasons where their runtime were five seconds less than the runtime that was listed here (4 minutes and 35 seconds) used their short time to greater effect by being able to tell a real story and not fill it with as many hackneyed references to one specific media property as they can! Doesn't help that it felt like at least a minute were wasted on credits meaning it was only about three minutes long at best.

It honestly feels less like something The Simpsons would do and more like something I'd expect from Family Guy or Robot Chicken.

EDIT: Also, was I the only one who thought the animation on Bart at the end was very poor (similar to the last shot of that one couch gag from last season)?

1/5

Makes me a little sad that we live in a world where the Amphibia season finale got delayed but this got rushed out to meet an arbitrary date. That's Disney's sense of priorities for you.
All signs seem to point to the delay more so having to do with it's crew wanting to give it a more proper release (which could range from not wanting it to feel a little rushed on the production side to shooting for a better time slot compared to the 9:30 AM one it was originally gonna get) which... It deserves as someone who watched the leak and that's the most I'll say until it officially releases.

Last edited:
I think this may be a fitting analogy to make here...

The Force Awakens From Its Nap is to The Longest Daycare as Days of Future Future was to Holidays of Future Passed. Both come off as cheap and repurposed knockoffs to what was - and legitimately still are - celebrated modern achievements of excellence for modern Simpsons.

The reason those efforts have stood the test of time and are fondly remembered is because of their heart and ambition and the careful attention to detail and craftsmanship that went into them. You can't simply throw them back into the wash and repurpose them in a tacky fashion and not wind up with diminishing returns.

That said, my hope is that there are enough Star Wars enthusiasts out there that have never watched The Longest Daycare who can simply appreciate yesterday's short for its fan service and all of the hidden easter eggs and references to a franchise they so revere. Yesterday's short was clearly more for them than for us... and, if nothing else, the bar of expectation has been lowered going forward for what we can expect from the "presumably" Marvel short that will follow and the "we haven't thought of what we'll do after that" shorts in the pipeline after that.

Star Wars: an immense franchise with an enormous fanbase across the world that comprises three trilogies and some other movies, many animated shows, micro-series and live-action shows, videogames, and comics. The Simpsons: a legendary 32-year-old animated show that revolutionized the industry and broke every record, with 700+ episodes on their back, with a movie and the second one in production, two theatrical shorts, and videogames and comics as well. Both are incredibly popular and an essential part of pop culture. Both are known by everyone and beloved by the entire world. Both have years of history and countless hours of content. Both are timeless.

The question, then, is: why in the world somebody thought that an uninspired crossover of three minutes between them where literally nothing happens could be somehow worthy? It's absolutely expendable for both franchises. And I don't think Disney+ wins something with it either except three minutes of programming. There was too little publicity, few articles about it, and little-to-no flutter among the fans.

There is nothing truly remarkable in this short. The only thing that obviously was as good as expected was the looooooong list of references to Star Wars. There are some silent and minor references included as visual jokes. I am not an expert on Star Wars –not even close to that– so I am not going to list them. I guess hardcore fans of Star Wars and casual watchers of The Simpsons will enjoy it more than hardcore Simpsons fans and casual watchers of Star Wars. As a part of the second group, I enjoyed the cameo of some of the species of Star Wars had a triumphant cameo, although inconsequential, like the baby Wookiee. But nothing else for me.

Another positive aspect – even if gradually less positive with each short – was Maggie. Of course. She is always cute and sweet, and this was not an exception. I quite liked her speechless relationship with BB-8. Both characters were nice and charming. However, and due to the low quality of the script, I didn't feel anything for her. Like, I was indifferent whether she was in trouble, or fighting to Gerald, or even losing that battle-to-death. I was delighted by the little gags, but didn't care for her as the protagonist.

As others pointed out, this episode is just a xerox of The Longest Daycare, a largely superior short than this one in every aspect. The plot is extremely rehashed: Maggie is alone in a daycare, Gerald appears like the antagonist, it tries to sell an unhappy ending to suddenly reveal everything it's all right (although less effectively than that time). It even has some recycled scenes, like Marge leaving the building – the camera is in the same place and the joke of her hair was repeated –, and Maggie crawling through the robots was similar, if not the same, to her running off from Gerald evading babies in little cars...

But that's not the only reason why I thought it was uninspired. The truth is that, just like most of the Jean-run episodes this season, this short has no plot. Maggie lost her pacifier and BB-8 helps her to recover it, until Gerald crushes her under a wardrobe, although she survives because "the rules of Star Wars say that the main characters never really die". Is it the laziest plot twist ever? I thought ending it with a self-referential joke was a terrible decision. The joke of Disney's shares going down was also terrible, because it ruined the little moment of emotion and tension here for the sake of doing a joke.

Beyond the writing, the music was a bit less pedant than it was in Playdate with Destiny, some character designs and sound effects were clearly above-average, and the animation was once again a job led by David Silverman. I had the same feeling as in the previous short: HD animation and the cartoonish style of Silverman don't seem compatible.

2/5

Somehow more embarrassing than I was expecting… seems like the format for these shorts is going to be "Maggie goes to a new daycare themed around a different Disney+ property" which sounds absolutely dreadful. I guess you're just supposed to think of it as a Sergio Aragones "A Mad Look At…"-style series of gags, which isn't the worst idea in the world, but if you're going to do that, just… do the Rugrats "dress up" thing and set it in the Star Wars universe.

The way it references "The Longest Daycare" is a little obnoxious; the original short is fine, but it just seems weird to treat it like it's this beloved cultural touchstone that everyone definitely knows.

Distressing that even in a three minute silent short they can't resist doing a list gag, some real tv tropes-level humor over here. That said, RIP to Margaret Lenny Simpson, shocking that Disney let them canonically kill a baby onscreen. Wonder how the series will deal with the fallout.

This one felt really phoned in. Playdate With Destiny at least still had the tone of the first one, while this is nothing more than a bland, lazy commercial. Yes I said "commercial" since it's clear that's the sole kind of drive behind it. The fight isn't particularly exciting and is over in a heartbeat. And when I say there wasn't anything funny in it I don't mean that there were jokes in it that failed. I mean that I don't even know if they wrote any. It's weird.

The animation is better than the usual show, which is to be expected since it's got David Silverman behind it. But it wasn't that much better? His heart didn't seem to be as much into it, which results in some shots looking good and others being exactly the same as in a modern season.

Overall this didn't make me leap my milk bottle at the screen, but it did suck considering these shorts get hyped up as big events. Even though I'm personally not as enamored with The Longest Daycare as most others, I can tell when someone tries to replicate a formula but fails to understand why it worked the first time around. 4.8/10, which is 2/5.

Late to the party but yeah, this kind of sucks. I guess that's what we should expect from a short about Maggie (get it ?). But seriously, that was a pretty dreadful watch. Maybe the hardcore Star Wars fans are gonna enjoy it, but in my opinion, that would be patronizing them because this short is just that, Star Wars references with a Simpsons getup. And not even an original Simpsons getup because yeah, twas already said but the Longest Daycare inspiration is obvious. At the end of the watch, the first thing that came to mind was "Gee, writers, if you're gonna lick Disney's boots, at least do something creative with their properties". This short lacks of creativity tremendously, the jokes are dry, there's no ending for the sake of an obvious parody. I guess that, at least, it sort of ended by taking Star Wars down a peg ? But it was way too gentle and, once again, obvious.

My only laugh was when Maggie died and Disney's stocks went down as a result. That was clever. Also, I guess I can give this short credit for not using the most obvious Star Wars musical compositions when it could've been tempted to do so. Also, Maggie's animation is expressive and well done. But really, they could've done so much more with such a short, as commercial as it is. In that regard, I kinda like how they openly admit it's a crossover, and go for it with the Simpsons universe and the Star Wars universe blended together without any reason whatsoever. But that's just a poor setup for a poor short. What a waste of David Silverman.

And they're gonna make more shorts like this one, with other Disney properties ? Oh dear... 2/5

Last edited:
I am probably one of the few 'Star Wars' fans on this board, but having watched this now even I think it was really a shoddy and incredibly lazy and surprisingly uninspired effort. There is no story or plot other than a repeat of 'The Longest Daycare' and it really is only a parade of lot of basic and surface level 'Star Wars' references and jokes that happen one after the other (or together) for no rhyme and reason and none of them are actually funny but falls flat. Yeah, I get most of the references but they are still not funny and doesn't manage to even make me smile since it is just so blandly vanilla and almost treads into soulless and corporate territory.

To be fair, I guess it maybe is fun to see some of the SW species and characters in 'Simpsons form and the animation and directing by Silverman is really good (and I like the end credit art), but it still really is a bunch of slapped together and rushed nonsense with cut up John Williams music to the point of me wondering what it is that I just watched, made complete with the ending of Maggie fighting the Darth Maul-themed Baby Gerald which the bad guy wins but Maggie still lives as she reincarnates with Yoda ears for whatever reason and there's a lame list joke with SW characters randomly in the background & an non-ending and it just makes me roll my eyes several times.

I think that this was just a huge missed opportunity at creating a Star Wars spoof. Several shows have done a full 22 minute SW parody episode (and 'Family Guy' even did three extra long parodies , one for each Original Trilogy installment) and 'The Simpsons' with it's extensive cast and with writing that actually tries could've done something fairly impressive or at least fun, but instead we get this slapdash 3 minute short,with no real plot and full of of flat SW references and so-called jokes. As said, the animation was solid and a few momnets were OK but as a whole it fails and is a nonsensical, unoriginal mess. This really could've been better.

Giving it an 2/5 for the few parts that did work to me, but was close to 1/5.

Last edited:
All I need to say is that this was simply just an ad for Disney+ to get Simpsons fans into Star Wars. On the positive side, the animation and storyboards are amazing as always.

I want to give this a 0, but I can't so 1/5.

I read in interviews they were by asked to not overuse grogu but...a daycare themed around star wars would absolutely be plastered with grogu junk all over the place

Disney needlessly kneecapping legitimate storytelling possibilities doesn't really bode well for the future

That was… quickly. Probably I had no time either to love or hate that short. I liked background gags (most of them), which were funny enough. I… liked the "absurd" ending and, of course, "Star Wars rules":lol: (though, I'm a bit far away of SW-Universe knowning:P)

The main problems with the short are:
1) it's TOO short;:rimshot:
2) it didn't leave more place to plot development - literally: all arounds at Daycare Center… again, after The Longest Daycare, to which this one referred (or even parodied) too much.

Cause, in my view, there wasn't anything really bad, I'll give to this one DECENT rank of 3.5/5 (up from 3)

2/5
Pretty sad for a Maggie Simpson Short.
I expected more out of it, Not just another short with Star Wars references.
The humor was decent, And enjoyable for newer audiences.

Kinda boring, but I will say, one of the ending images depicts Mr. Burns as Emperor Palpatine, and it has me wanting a Simpsons Parody of Star Wars similar to what Phineas & Ferb and Family Guy did

Sending a quick request out for those of you who contributed written reviews and scores for this episode to transplant them directly into the poll (at the top of this thread). You may also choose to revise them accordingly when doing so.

@Arctan
@B-Boy
@CousinMerl
@dorian
@jbauer
@John95
@orangemo
@Szyslak100
@Trab Pu Kcip
@Wile E. the Brain

Consolidating your written scores into the poll itself will make subsequent consensus score updates for this episode easier to track in the future.

I'm going to be staggering these requests out over the hiatus break so as to not flood you with notifications but if you'd like to forego that and get a jump start on updating your scores in other Season 31 & 32 polls ahead of time that'll result in fewer reminders heading your way as well.

Also, please do go back and update your scores from earler episodes in this stretch if you have yet to do so.

Will welcome fresh votes as well from those of you who haven't contrbuted to the poll yet as well.

Thanks in advance for your assistance on this!

There we go. I just voted on the poll.

I wonder why I hadn't voted already. I guess the poll was always there and wasn't implemented just now recently so I must've moved past this short after my review and didn't look back for whatever reason.

@CousinMerl Poll was added to this short at the same time as all the others... but I can see how it would easily find its way buried amongst the clutter as it's kind of an unremarkable rehash. I think the later Star Wars short is infinitely superior.

Thanks for the poll update!

Back