Rate/Review Jazzy and the Pussycats (HABF18)

How would you rate HABF18?

• Total voters

Channel Surfer

Stonecutter
When Bart turns a quiet funeral into a chaotic mess, his parents are faced with a mob of angry Springfieldians who have had enough. Homer and Marge desperately look to a child psychiatrist for help, who suggests that Bart take up drumming to channel his energy. Before long, Bart is laying down fills like a pro, getting into “drum-offs” with The White Stripes (guest voices Jack and Meg White), and jamming in a band with Lisa’s favorite jazz musicians. It doesn’t take long before Lisa’s encouragement turns to deep-seated jealousy, forcing the Simpson siblings to step in line and learn how to march to the beat of the same drum.

Preview/Speculation Thread

4/5 (Again, like with last ep, I think I'm being fairly generous).
The White Stripes' appearance was very well done. After that 2/5 season premiere I'm surprised we were given such a good episode. I think Bart was very in-character. I also liked seeing a good Ralph joke, instead of a stupid/unfunny one.

Last edited:
4/5. It was solid, though due to it being primarily a Lisa story, it lacked in the laughter department.

The paddle balls in church and the animals in the attic were a bit unbelievable, but otherwise it was nice.

horrid. simply horrid. another bart is a brat, (send him to juvy/military school/army/pills) plot that totally shows that this show has run its course and then some. lame jokes and plot points that can be called from a mile away. extra point is because of the white stripes which, while brief, the "hardest button to button" parody was clever and made me smile. 2/5

I loved the white stripes. "My arm! It hurts where the tiger is biting me!" I laughed a lot during this episode. I'm gunna have to watch it again.

5/5

white stripes appearance was good. sad to hear marge's dad was dead. liked it when bart played drums and saw only homer. first 2 acts were good, 3rd was okay. the richard sakai picture in teh slide show was like only good joke in 3rd act. blue man group guy choking was funny also.

A very disjointed episode. Lisa's plot I guess could be a subplot, but it seemed like they gave up on her feeling jealous and went for something less relevant. It felt like each plot could've been better explored. Still, there were quite a few laughs. I found the slow-mo of Lisa with the dogs and the bird especially funny.

C+

Edit: There were some failed gags, like Krusty's way of losing weight and a few others. But not much to groan at. Quite a change from last week.

4/5 - Lots of good jokes, jazz parody (I'm about to call my Jazz-freak friend Jeff to rib him about the episode) and effective use of a guest star.

The story, while not entirely new, played itself out in an unexpected way (Lisa saving the animals) and the White Stripes appearance had me rolling on the floor.

I really enjoyed this episode.

loved the white stripes. the resevoir dogs paraody was great. loved the floating dog. laughed out loud over a few of the signs like "where imaginary friends go to die". another lol moment was with the loudness competition between bart and homer. was the guy with long hair and beard with glasses a writer on the show? he was one of the people bart acknowledged on the street. anyway great show. 5/5

It was very good.

For those who might ask, the song Bart was drumming to was The White Stripes' "The Hardest Button to Button", and that was a parody of the video for that song.

Very well done gags. The White Stripes gag was much better than the Metallica one from last week. The idea of rekindling the Vegas wife was just odd though.

Any episode where Bart feels something for Lisa always gets to me.

4/5

Well, if these are burned out writers at work, set the room on fire. After oh, so many yawn fest Jean episodes, this was the first episode to actually have me laughing out loud since the start of Season 17.

Both Bart and Lisa's story were equally great and I actually felt sorry for Lisa in this. The "White Stripes" going off the bridge was a hoot and Lisa walking off with the Blind Dude's dog from "The Canine Mutiny" was the best bit,IMO. Hell, even the couch gag was the best animated one in the show's history.

Grade: 4/5 (B+)

I have some fixed feelings about the episode, there were plenty of good jokes, and the direction was good. The major problem was that I could some plot points coming, in particular when Lisa got jealous. But the plot was still organic and fresh. It's always a plus when the guest stars actually contribute to the humor in the episode and don't take up much time. B

EDIT: Wow, Jack gave an episode a better grade than I did, what's the world coming to?

Jake said:
Well, if these are burned out writers at work, set the room on fire. After oh, so many yawn fest Jean episodes, this was the first episode to actually have me laughing out loud since the start of Season 17.

Both Bart and Lisa's story were equally great and I actually felt sorry for Lisa in this. The "White Stripes" going off the bridge was a hoot and Lisa walking off with the Blind Dude's dog from "The Canine Mutiny" was the best bit,IMO. Hell, even the couch gag was the best animated one in the show's history.

Grade: 4/5 (B+)

oh yeah, the couch gag was beautifully animated, maybe not the funniest but it looked fantastic

It was okay in the first act, but went downhill from there. Much better than last weeks episode though. I didn't like the Jazz singers and they probably could have down the Animals part of the second act better.

The Good:
The White Stripes
Bart envisioning the Drums as Homer
Wiggum on an Ostrich

The Bad:
The Jazz Singers
Playing generic Jazz songs for too long
Krustys weight loss system

I was a little disappointed that The White Stripes didn't do anything else, but it was pretty good.

BTW, I had to watch on Global and the end credits were cut off. Did they play a White Stripes song?

Last edited:
1st act: White Stripes bit was o.k. Database a bass player? Don’t know what to think of that. Homer’s Noise battle...HILARIOUS. When he added the traffic noises I busted up laughing. When he asked Marge to let him know if he wanted sex, I laughed quite a bit again.

2nd act: Good. Lisa saying the puppy would make her feel better was cute and made me laugh. The phantom dog probably could have come up with something a bit more interesting to say rather than “you suck” over and over. Montage of Lisa picking up animals was cool (probably a reference I’m not getting. What was that song?) Very odd ending with the tiger biting Bart for no apparent reason. A lot of people will hate Bart “not smoking refer”, I’m sure. Didn’t bother me.

3rd act: Like the reference to awkward mixing of story lines. Homer Mex Wrestler didn’t do it for me. No real laughs this act, but a cute/sweet ending. At least it kind of had an ending, with everything wrapped up nicely.

Episode started with a big laugh, but didn’t really pick up again form me again. Didn’t end funny, but ended sweetly, so that’s o.k. I’ll probably go with a 3.5/5, but I’ll round up because of all the inherent haters.

3/5 It had many good parts like (the Lisa slomo with the animals)but had parts that I did not like.(The part were Bart is playing the drums around the town did not make much sense to me) All and all not a bad episode at all.

moed'oh said:
was the guy with long hair and beard with glasses a writer on the show? he was one of the people bart acknowledged on the street. anyway great show. 5/5
Wasn't that George Meyer?

3/10, pretty fucking bad. I don't even want to review it. The episode couldn't keep to one plot, and both felt underdeveloped. Many of the jokes fell completely flat and were painful, the White Stripes were underused, and much much more.

You know, a couple weeks ago, I made a post in the season 18 thread were I said, even if we thought it could be improved, the Simpsons was still good show, and generally, we all still liked it. Even season 17, with it's many flaws, was still atleast decent. Now, I know perfectly well these are still the holdovers, and there have only been 2 episodes so far, but personally this has me slightly worried. However, I won't judge until the first episode of JABF, and I'm hoping the HABF production code was just a fluke because they had the movie going on as well. I guess we shall see.

I don't think I understand the humor of this show anymore. Do they think that exaggerating how paper thin their plots are excuses the fact? None of that episode felt logical. Some good jazz jokes, and thats it.

2/5

I realy liked it alot. A classic, honestly I think it's one of the best episodes in years, I hope the rest of the season is like this one 5/5

Back