Rate & Review: "Iron Marge" (OABF22)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
Solid entry in this season. Didn't realize Mike Scully wrote it makes sense. He's better than a lot of the current writers.

Flanders was awesome in this episode, like his classic self. You could actually believe this Flanders was friends with Marge and that Homer loved his wife enough to not moan about stupid Flanders attending the party. Big improvement over the caterpillar episode.

Also I really liked Homer in this. His subplot was funny and stemmed from good intentions, he just went overboard, but then realized it and ended up happy. He even helped Agnes, who is horrible. (Him casually admitting how terrible she is was a good quick gag.)

But I don't want to forget party Homer. That charm bracelet may seem silly, but he seemed to genuinely want to get Marge a good present, and she seemed to like it. At any rate she only complained about the iron covers which were even crappier I think than a bowling ball.

Flanders was awesome in this episode, like his classic self. You could actually believe this Flanders was friends with Marge and that Homer loved his wife enough to not moan about stupid Flanders attending the party. Big improvement over the caterpillar episode.

To the caterpillar episode's ('The Very Hungry Caterpillars') defense, I think it rang obvious that Ned's character was exaggerated for the satire of the lockdown isolation's effect on some (how they take things too far, also joking with that prepper mentality) and even so, in the end he realized he had been wrong to behaved like he did and apologized for it.

I'd rather compare wholesome Ned in this episode (Iron marge) to his negative portrayal in 'Better Off Ned', 'Warrin Priests' or even 'Todd Todd Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me', which is the antithesis of how Ned should be. Iron Marge was definitely Ned at his best (and I'd argue he was even better here than in some of the classic era episodes: Just loved that classic Ned-type moment of letting Bart & Lisa help him out even though there's not a need for it but out of to the pure nicety of his heart. That's pure Ned).

Also I really liked Homer in this. His subplot was funny and stemmed from good intentions, he just went overboard, but then realized it and ended up happy. He even helped Agnes, who is horrible. (Him casually admitting how terrible she is was a good quick gag.)

I think what made Homer work so well in the episode (to me and many others, too) was that he really thought he was helping people by warning them for dangers all around (definitely not understanding how much of a bad thing being an alarmist is). He certainly did wrong wanting to top the scoreboard, but that was the classic competitive side of Homer & he also saw it as a way to prove himself and his worth of warning people, though in the end, he saw the light and didn't care about that silly scoreboard anymore, only caring that he actually helped save someone's life (that being Agnes, despite how utterly deplorably thankless she is).

Between that and those other little moments (such as him at the party, giving the personal gift to Marge), I wish we saw this Homer a lot more often, balancing his sweeter and goofier side with his more impulsive and non-thinking side.

Last edited:
just finished this episode and I think it might be a modern classic, does the Simpsons Renaissance continue?

Ne, když se podívám na jejich sociální kruhy (nebo jejich nedostatek), stále si nemyslím, že by byli. Myslím, že ze jmenovaného obsazení mají jen Janey. A nejblíže ke komukoli jinému jsou Allison, Ralph a možná Martin. Všechny kromě toho druhého jsou o dva stupně pod nimi. Sami skutečně působí spíše jako jistý ztroskotanci. Kéž by se na to někdo podíval/udělal záměrný detail, otřáslo by se to jejich dynamikou s Lisou a udělalo by to trochu zajímavější. Pro Lisu je také humornější a naivní, když si jejich prohlášení špatně vykládá, že jsou ve skutečnosti cool děti.
Perfectly written. In the background footage, it can be seen that almost everyone has more social contact with others that the twins. For example, we already seen Allison Taylor interact with many students at school (Becky, Valley Mercer, Janey, Nina Skalka and several characters not yet named in the series), while Sherri and Terri practically only with her, Ralph and Janey.

"Iron Marge" is what "Fan-ily Feud" should have been: A good Bart-Lisa episode with a decent ending without a non-speaking Bart during the end credits.

That was really good! If it hadn't been for having A Mid-Childhood Night's Dream in the same season it might have been a 5, but that was significantly better, and so this has to be a 4.

Flanders felt like he was back to how he was prior to losing his first wife which I wasn't sure was something they were capable of doing and/or willing to do anymore. It was also nice having the kids really feel like actual kids.

The cyanide gummies line, 'she's horrible'. and Bart slamming the door on his dog were all great.

If it wasn't for a few sections that felt a bit flat then I'd be inclined to call this one a 5 too.

just finished this episode and I think it might be a modern classic, does the Simpsons Renaissance continue?
For Carolyn Omine-run episodes, the answer to this question is yes, it most definitely does.

Look forward to the 0 to 1 episodes per season that renaissance will comprise.
For a more immediate renaissance fix, you'll need to instead catch the new concert film from Beyoncé.

Dunno if anyone has pointed this out, but Mel for some reason leaves the park in the back of the Van Houten's car?

I could both see Mel being broke enough to not own a car (perhaps Homer drove it off a cliff again for the insurance), and Kirk both having a side hustle as a uber driver along with being clueless enough to take pickups when his wife and son are also in the car.

I could both see Mel being broke enough to not own a car (perhaps Homer drove it off a cliff again for the insurance), and Kirk both having a side hustle as a uber driver along with being clueless enough to take pickups when his wife and son are also in the car.
When on earth did Homer drive Mel's car off a cliff for insurance the first time.

Last edited:
...and this is why I shouldn't post on forums first thing in the morning and have only just put my contact lenses in as I saw the screenshot and three letter word starting with M and thought it was Moe.

Doh.

Well, my theory is that, since Serious Flanders shows Mel is in an open marriage (which is referenced in Through the Windshield), Luann invited him over for a threeway....probably without getting Kirk's proper consent beforehand.

I really, really liked this one. Bart and Lisa make an excellent pairing and they were on top form throughout here, plus it was a wonderful showcase of Lisa acting like the little kid she is, which is always fun to see (a real highlight of this stuff was Lisa joining in on kicking the bus seat in front of them to make sure it was being done right). It was both cute and funny to see her give in to her more selfish impulses by puttting the robe back (definitely not just shoving it into the nearest fridge) and getting the spy kit instead. Her little fantasy and the oh so satisfied "Cry, Terri, cry" really got a giggle from me there in particular! All the scenes where brother and sister play together with their new, self-indulgently obtained toy are both adorable and amusing as well and the fact that they'd genuinely convinced themselves that Marge would love the ironing board cover to the point where Lisa was excitedly encouraging her to open it was very nicely observed. Marge already having one of those exact same covers was a great small detail as well, making me laugh and feel sorry for her at the same time (I also like to imagine that the old one was the ironing board cover Homer thought she'd be "really surprised to open" in Marge Be Not Proud).

In fact, the whole episode did a great job of making me feel for Marge, even whilst the focus was on her kids. The fact that the only fact they could think of about her was her name was equally funny and affecting and Lisa's dejected realisation that they got even that wrong was great. Their attempt to fix things going wrong with the twist that Marge actually hated the parrot was both endearing and funny as well and I can very much see why Marge appreciated the effort they made to get to know her better and make her happy. Plus I have to say a big bravo to the animators to the scene with the battle between Marge and the bird. Very, very well done.

Homer's sub-plot was funny as well. Not particularly necessary and probably the weakest spot of the episode, but more than funny enough to justify its existence, particularly when Agnes gets involved and her horribleness was something of a delight. Overall then, I can't really think of anything bad to say and a lot of good! Maybe not quite as good as A Mid-Childhood Night's Dream a couple of episodes back, but another definite 5/5 episode for me.

So delightfully. I've already forgotten how good this episode is. I had tears throughout most of episode.🥲

The main plot was pictured so natural. As Mother Marge never shows her disenchantment of her kids - she hides it, because of love, but… she saw this feeling isn't mutual, namely of the same force. She is just "Sandwich" in Bart's contact book or Margaret for Lisa? :(

However, the kids were kids here and were good here. Sure, it's unusual to see such strong bond between Bart and Lisa. But, who cares about it, if the aim is to make Marge, the Mother, happy again.

The subplot was very funny. I love Homer the alarmist and their head butt dialogues with Agnes.😂

I found act 3 had some little weak moments.

The jokes were very good, as well as the animation.

plot 22/25 (13/15 for main plot + 9/10 for subplot)
absurdity level (the possibility of what is happening and whether I liked it) 25/25
comedy 21/25 (12/15 + 9/10)
originality (level of references and whether I liked them) 24/25 (I didn't like/enjoy the opening John Wick reference¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯)

TOTAL 92/100 (strong 5/5, or A-). GREAT!
I'm shocked myself from such mark.😃

Next on the docket of "watch the episodes this season people liked" is this one, which it seems I'm a bit cooler on than most.

First things first - this was the best characterization of Lisa in quite some time. She's a kid acting like a kid, doing kid things with Bart! Wonderful! Sweet stuff tying it all in with Marge. I thought it started going off the rails a bit in act 3 with the parrot - "animal goes psychotic on one of the Simpsons" is a well they've gone to before and it never really works for me. Still, the character writing brought the main story home.

I didn't like the Homer B-plot at all. I've never used the Citizen app and have only heard stories about people using it as a tool for fear and racism, but basing stories on apps and social media has always made The Simpsons look out-of-touch. It feels like a niche subject that will become outdated before long. Maybe it's cause I live in a major city and hear people complaining about Citizen all the time.

This gets a strong 3/5 from me.

Back