Rate & Review "Homer the Whopper" (LABF13)

how would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

sung

big bad Bartolo

will the episode live up to the Seth Rogen hype? will the puke joke seem more tasteful in this view? find out more!

Written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg
Comic Book Guy casts Homer as the lead in “Everyman,” a feature film based on a new comic book superhero who possesses the ability to take on the powers of every superhero in every comic he touches. To whip Homer into superhero shape, the movie studio hires celebrity fitness trainer Lyle McCarthy (Seth Rogen), but Homer has trouble sticking to his new healthy regimen.

Just terrible. There wasn't one decent joke in the whole episode.
We've seen Homer deal with weight loss before, we've seen them make fun of Hollywood and studio execs before we've already seen Homer as several superheroes before. Is there any reason to keep making this show?

1/5

The Good
I liked the bit with Bart teasing the Comic Book Guy, but is it just me or did CBG sound rather off?
Matt Groening cameo!
"This is what Brad and Angelina looked like before me."
Liked the "montage" joke at first, but it fell flat quickly.
The shot of a guy in a shark's mouth. My audio died for about a minute, so I didn't hear the set up, but it was a very funny visual.
The dumpster of former studio heads.

The Bad
THe Everyman comic story started out fun, but went on too long.
The board room scene.
Krusty, they seem to have forgotten how to make him anything other than irritating.
In the openiong of the second act, Homer's voice sounded way off. So did Bart's. Come to think of it, the scene kind of sucked.
"yo yo dieter"
They seem to have forgotten how to write normal sounding non-over the top dialogue.
Apu's voice also sounds off. I have to stop complaining about the off voices in every review.
The vomiting joke. It seemed like they have a copy of "Seth McFarlane's guide to 'comedy'" lying around.
They have even have an editing joke, which parallels "Radioactive Man" and is nowhere near as good as that one.
Lyle alternatively complimenting people, then whisper-insulting. Overdone.

The disappointing
Seth Rogen's voice. At first I thought I liked it, but as it went on I started to find it more annoying. He did a not-too-bad job though.
Seth Rogen's character. Very bland.
The writing. It seems no different than any other episode, so I guess they heavily re-wrote Rogen/Goldberg's script (if they even wrote a script, I remember reading that Ricky Gervais only wrote down an outline but still received full credit).
The ending.
The episode. I wasn't expecting much, but I did hope that Seth Rogen would save it. But he had a forgettable character, which didn't help things. 2/5.

Also, there was a third guest star listed (after Rogen and Groening) but I missed the name. Who was it?

Really enjoyed it, especially the comic book refs. 4/5

Btw, what did they bleep from Homer?? I didn't catch the line.

Best bits were the posters:

Star Wars Episode: ? Apology
Eddie Murphy in: "Fat Suit"
"Welcome Back Potter"
"Alvin and the Chipmunks with Rabies"

:P

And the editing joke, but that was done in "Radioactive Man"

3/5, An Al Jean episode by any other name...

I liked it. I thought the plot was executed pretty well and I laughed a lot.

Carl said that a girl burping takes you out of the moment when you kiss them. So they're not gay?

Very diasppointing 3/5. I was expecting something pretty original but it kinda fell into the averagish collumn.

I loved Matt's cameo.

the episode as a whole get's a 3/5 in my book.

I was really disappointed with rogens part though.

It was what it was. Definitely weak IMO. The first act was the best, and there were some minor good jokes scattered about, but not good. 2/5, maybe 3/5

EDIT: Matt's cameo was the highlight for me

It was an alright episode. I loved the Matt Groening Appearence. The episode felt like it had already been done except much better the first time. Not much of Lisa in this episode. 3/5

1/5. This episode was just plain horrible. There was not a single moment in this episode I felt like laughing at. If this is any indication of what Season 21 will be like then it's not going to be a good season.

pretty average episode. 3/5
loved seeing matt groening cameo. hopefully it out performs FG.....

i also want to add in, the scene with the expired milk made me laugh.

Not to be a broken record, but what was with htat bleeped line in the kitchen? Was it a swear or a last minute censor?

5/5 for me. It definitely looked like what a fan of the show would write and put in the best jokes they can. 'cause someone's first is usually their strongest. My fav was the Matt Groening cameo. Also I love whenever there's nerd jokes cuz I can relate. And I thought it was great how CBG sticks to his character and hates even his own work. So good job Rogen and Goldberg.

Can somebody post what was being said when Homer was bleeped? It was during scene when he was speaking with his trainer in the simpson family kitchen.

i thought it was generally alright but given that i had looking forward to this episode for a year and half (considering that it was about at spring 2008 when they announced the seth rogen-evan goldberg episode thing), i kinda had a big expectation... yeah, i do know the creditted writers may or may not have much of an impact on actual writing of an episdoe. the episode definitely was not a yawner with bit of funny moments (actually laughed at the scenes that were edited in the everyman movie) et al but the episode at whole did not really seem to be much memorable at all and my gut feeling says that there weren't enough time for showing of lyle mccarthy to establish the seemingly non-contrived bit of emotion in the end since, i htink, it just seemed that there was maybe 3 minutes or something like that on homer and lyle initially working out together. ending was also of a weak conclusion

typical jean episode...? giving it about C for now

Last edited:
"Would you like to see me naked?"
"There's no nudity in this movie."
"What movie?"

I find it ironic that "Family Guy" can get away with murder and yet "The Simpsons" has to bleep out the word "masturbating".

The "yo-yo diet" gag made me giggle. It's always nice when a character tries to make other characters laugh - feels a bit more human.

Nice poses on Homer's pole dance. Wonder who animated that?

"Ah! What was that?"
"Your other hand."

"I smell Oscar" was funnier when "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" did it.

Marge looks hot in that nightie. There, I said it and I'm proud.

This four-act structure still feels awkward.

"Eddie Murphy in Fat Suit". Okay, that's funny.

Everyman 2: Rise of the Revenge sounds very George Meyer-esque. (I still want to see The Wedding Marriage.)

Eh. Mediocre episode all around. To be honest, this is the first Seth Rogen-penned thing I've ever seen. Are all his movies this "guess the joke"-y, or was that just the rewrite room?

I didn't expect this to be a good episode, but this was able to be so horrifyingly awful that a chimpanzee could have done better. Honestly, I didn't laugh once, and Comic Book Guy and Apu's voices were off. It was also simply a combination of Radioactive Man, The Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show, King of the Hill, and King-Size Homer. If the show keeps up this quality, the DVD's for these seasons had better be about $3 if I want my money's worth.

To be honest, it actually got a few laughs out of me! I enjoyed it to say the least.

Weak, and therefore an average new episode. They don't seem to able to make anything likeable anymore other than very simple stuff and the occasional visual. This modernized version of Radioactive Man shows to me just how far the show has fallen. 1/5

This is kinda off topic but this Simpsons episode was much better than the Cleveland show has been so far.

I liked Marge being surprised by feeling her other hand around Homer, and the movie posters. That was about it.

That was pretty awful. While the wackiness was kept to a minimum, the episode was very low on laughs and high on awkward dialogue and jokes.

Also, I thought that the comic book guy was put out of business. Remember the very end of Husbands & Knives? It seemed the writers were serious.

I think the only half-decent moments where:
_The Star Wars movie poster
_The line about people reacting to Homer's physique by staring into the sun.
_The terrible movie-editing.

That's all I can think of. What a terrible way to start the season. It really doesn't seem like they'll reach the Season 15 quality again.

1/5

Last edited:
Back