Rate/Review: Homer and Ned's Hail Mary Pass (GABF02)

How would you rate tonight's episode? (This week, we rate by Super Bowl heroes, etc.)

• V/V: An all-around great performance, GUARANTEED by Joe Namath.

Votes: 37 12.5%
  • VI/V: Just made perfection by one kick, like Adam Vinateri.

Votes: 52 17.6%
  • III/V: Stumbling and bumbling but getting the job done, like William "The Refrigerator" Perry.

Votes: 83 28.0%
  • II/V: Close, but down at the 1-yard line, like Kevin Dyson.

Votes: 65 22.0%
  • I/V: Like Scott Norwood, wiiiiiiiiiide right.

Votes: 59 19.9%

• Total voters

Andy

pretty rad
SUPER BOWL THREAD NUMBER TWO

FOR SUPER BOWL THREAD NUMBER ONE, SEE DUFF STADIUM

FOR SUPER BOWL THREAD NUMBER THREE, SEE ITCHY AND WHATEVER
SNPP said:
NFL star Tom Brady, NBA stars Yao Ming and LeBron James, and figure skater Michelle Kwan guest voice as themselves when victory celebration choreographer Homer (who was spotted doing a dance at a local carnival) is asked to choreograph the Super Bowl halftime show, and he seeks Ned's help
Thread will open once the episode ends, whenever that may be--the episode will most likely start at 10-10:30p ET at the earliest, depending on the length of the game. Unlike most Simpsons airings this episode will probably air at the same time on the East and West Coast.

Last edited:
It was... surprisingly good. My only major, major complaint was the lack of any real ending.

And I feel like a terrible person for laughing at Moe and the pool game, but there it was.

Let's say... B+?

Last edited:
well..... i laughed a fair amount.... but the plot was all over the place.... i actually liked Ned's original storyline a lot.

Maybe I was just trained to hate this episode, but I did laugh. I guess its right around average or slightly below

C-

Wow. Not bad... the guest stars were all pretty good, the plot went quickly but was pretty funny. Loved the return of Devil Flanders. The political satire was better than the massacre that was Bart-Mangled Banner. Just clever all around.

A lot better than I thought it would be. I laughed at a lot of the gags in this one, bringing the grade up since it really had no ending nor did it have much of a plot. However, it was pretty funny and I'll reward the episode for it.

B-

I didn't like the ending very much. I laughed quite a bit at some of the taunts, such as Tom Brady's with the scotter thing. I unfortunately missed the beginning, but what I saw of the first act was good.

4/5.

Horrible I hated it worst episode in the past three years. The dance Homer did was not funny at all and the celebrities were overused and not funny. This is one of the top five episodes I hate the most.

Better than I expect. The guest stars were totally unneeded. It worked better using a player who wasn't real. I was disappointed that they didn't mention the teams that were playing the Super Bowl like they did in the past. The Ned storyline was much better than the Homer one and the jokes were great. I wonder if Flanders screwing up the story of Cain and Abel was intential. I think this episode is somewhere between the other two Super Bowl episodes. B-

Huh, I loved it.

It's good to see another Jerkass Homer reference too! :D

I won't see this episode till tomorrow, so how does it compare to the rest of the Season 16 episodes that have already aired?

lhbigpimpin06 said:
Horrible I hated it worst episode in the past three years. The dance Homer did was not funny at all and the celebrities were overused and not funny. This is one of the top five episodes I hate the most.

Yeah, and I don't think they'd air an episode like "The Wandering Juvie" or "Sleeping with the Enemy" before American Dad, becasue Fox wants American Dad to look good.

Just...bad all around and not funny, IMO. 1/5.

^ Ditto.

I never thought that after Sunday, Cruddy Sunday that the Simpsons could make a worse episode about the Super Bowl, but here we are. This episode was downright awful. Homer’s attitude and personality in this episode was completely unlikable and void of laughs. I believe half of the first act was devoted entirely to watching Homer dance like an idiot, which wasn’t funny to begin with, but got old anyway. The humor was way too dark for me to laugh at, and the frequent blood, gore, and violence simply wasn’t funny. The celebrities were okay, but they weren’t great either. Ned was also personified in too simple a manner and I couldn’t feel for him. The jokes were awful, the graphic content was gratuitous, and the characterizations of the characters were all unlikable. I give this episode a big whopping 1/5.

CBG's name is Fred Albertson! That was probably the most random piece of important information I've ever heard watching the Simpsons.

The episode had a weak ending and why Flanders suddenly started looking like he was anti-Bible wasn't well supported. Very, very random! Homer's dance was way overdrawn like it was out of Family Guy. The guest stars made asses of themselves. The only joke I laughed hard at was Homer throwing trash cans at Mario.

C-

I think it had it's moments, it was funny, I loved the first Ned movie when the brother killed the other one *lol* (notice that i don't know shit about the Bilble) and you get the headlines, that was funny.

But I felt the ending was very abrupt.

I give it 3/5

How does it compare to dodgy episodes such as "Lastest Gun In The West" and "Saddlesore Gallactica"?

That was a tough episode to grade. Obviously, this episode was, as everyone feared, barely more than a parade of guest stars. There was no real ending, of course.

A few bright spots: CBG's name? Surely someone has taped the episode. It was in the first act. Also, I think we've had our second consecutive jerkass Homer line, when the TV show in Act two announced that jerkass Homer Simpson would create the halftime show.

An episode that was neither good or bad, so I'll give it a C, 3/5 on the poll.

EDIT: CBG's name is Jeff Albertson as mentioned by another poster. Also, I noticed that I, as a West Coaster, have made the first page of the thread for the first time ever! All of the USA saw the ep at the same time.

Last edited:
Funny in places, but not at all memorable. They could have done with maybe two guest voices instead of five (maybe Kwan and LeBron, the football players weren't needed because they had a pretty good fictional one). The "jerkass" gag definitely fell flat after last week's, and as for CBG's name, nothing special, but who cares?
Capt. McCallister will always be just The Sea Captain to me, and it'll be the same here.

2.5/5 on first viewing.

3/5. Not too bad for an overhyped celebrity-filled episode. I would have preferred an entire episode dedicated to Ned's violent movies and Marge's opposition to them, but what you going to do. Hated the dance, celebrities, and abrupt ending (probably needed another minute), loved the reveal of Comic Book Guy's name, Ned's movies, and Moe. There's some other funny stuff I'm forgetting.

Back