Rate & Review: "Havana Wild Weekend" (VABF19)

What did you think of "Havana Wild Weekend"?

• Total voters

Captain Squid

vs. Radioactive Man
Havana_Wild_Weekend_promo_1.png

Season 28, episode 7
Original Airdate: November 13, 2016
Writers: Dan Castellaneta, Deb Lacusta and Peter Tilden
Director: Bob Anderson
Synopsis: When the Retirement Castle and the V.A. Hospital can't solve Grampa's health issues, the Simpsons decide to take a family trip to Cuba to get him cheap medical care.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Last edited by a moderator:
-- Strange couch gag
* The Vulture's nest opener
* The fire pit
** Barney getting attacked by cats
End of act 1, blah. 4/10
** "You need to see a see-ka-ee-trist"
** Grandpa's vision
* Close-up of Grandpa
Healthcare plot ends 11 minutes in, that's not a good sign
* Maggie pounding the ground
** Homer's drinking gamr
* Jasper's junk
* Parody of chocolate scene
End of act 2, really good! 9/10
- DIdn't like the song
* AARP joke
** Abe making love joke
* Air horn gag
Closing thoughts.
Mediocre, but not too bad.
The story was good, it was another fun travel episode to Cuba, it was good to have a Grandpa centered plot, and the twist at the end was good.
The jokes weren't really good, the second act was stellar, but the first and third acts weren't that great.
Overall, just mediocre. 6/10.

That was the best of the season IMHO and big thumbs up to Buena Vista Social Club being featured! I have "Buena Visa Social Club Live From Carnegie Hall "on CD !!!!! things sound better on CD because of the bit rate!

[MENTION=67029]ComicBookGal[/MENTION]
you know people that are married fight, that is a common thing. The marriage crisis episodes are one of the more realistic things in the show. Everybody has skeletons in the closet, anyone who claims not to fight with family is lying.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with marriage crisis episodes is that they just aren't good, at least in the last 10 or so years, with around 4 exceptions.

now this is true not a lot of good ones in the last 10 years but I will say for me anyway every other episode is pretty good, to solid and for me that makes the show worthwhile!
[MENTION=73023]Honest Slug[/MENTION]

The problem isn't that Homer and Marge get into fights during their marriage, not every couple is going to be perfect and sometimes they'll have serious issues to work with. That's not the issue. What is the problem is that, not only is the "Homer and Marge have a marriage crisis" plotline far too overused now(which makes it come off like the writers don't know what to do with their relationship anymore), but there all virtually the same now: Homer acts a crazy asshole for 20+ minutes and Marge almost leaves him, until he gives one measly apology at the end and she completely forgives him regardless of whatever horrible actions he's committed, or in some cases, he doesn't even do that and Marge just completely forgives Homer for absolutely no reason. Once in a while, they'll mix things ups and have Marge acting like a crazy jerk for no reason, but its generally about Home being a dick. It's gotten to the point now that whenever they an episode about someone else's relationship, they cut back to Homer and Marge arguing just for cheap jokes about how miserable they are.

At this point, after everything he's done throughout the years, it's almost insane that Marge would still love Homer considering how miserable he makes her, and their doesn't seem to be any real reason she would still stay with him (other then just pity).

I think the biggest problem with marriage crisis episodes is that they just aren't good, at least in the last 10 or so years, with around 4 exceptions.
Let's rhyme off the good ones...
1) Eternal Moonshine of the Simpson Mind
2) I Won't Be Home for Christmas
3) Dangers on a Train
4)

Ummm... I'm stumped on the last one. Does Steal This Episode count?

At this point, after everything he's done throughout the years, it's almost insane that Marge would still love Homer considering how miserable he makes her, and their doesn't seem to be any real reason she would still stay with him (other then just pity).
What about the children? Haven't you thought of the children? Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!?!?

So when's the next Matt Selman episode?
It's the hour-long episode that airs in January where Burns loses his fortune to some rap mogul. 44 minutes of hilarious rap-infused humor.

Well to be honest, marriage crisis have never been good on the Simpsons since the very start, just look at 'Homers Night Out' from season 1...

EDIT: Although that was followed up by the wonderful 'Life in the Fast Lane'

3) Dangers on a Train
4)

What about the children? Haven't you thought of the children? Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?!?!?

It's the hour-long episode that airs in January where Burns loses his fortune to some rap mogul. 44 minutes of hilarious rap-infused humor.

oh I don't really see Eternal Moonshine as a marriage crisis episode, but it is one of the better ones

3) Dangers on a Train
4)

I personality don't, I just consider to a very overrated episode. Marge turns into a complete dumbass who writes to a movie executive that her husband is breaking the law and is shocked when the FBI show up to arrest Homer. All the jokes about Marge hiding the truth are basically "LOL, Marge betrayed Homer, but no one else knows, even though it's obvious!" and all come off as forced and unfunny. Lisa is completely out of character and is totally supportive of Homer's piracy when she condemned him when he did the same 20+ ago. There are bizarre moments like Homer getting sent immediately to jail when's arrested the first time, but is taken a trial when he gets arrested for the second time. Then at the end, Homer gives a big speech and everyone completely forgives him and praises him, and Hollywood executives want to make a movie of him, meaning once again Homer acts like a complete jerk and gets away with it.

The only scene that was actually really good was Homer giving up and letting himself get arrested when he finds out Marge was the one who ratted him out. That scene actually worked, because it was taken very seriously, and Homer's heartbreak and giving up because he feels like there's no point in fighting if the person he loved the most in the world betrayed him felt genuine.

Eh...I always figured that if they ever got a divorce, Marge would take Lisa and Maggie with her and leave. Maybe Bart too, but for some reason, I see it more likely he'd end up living with Homer. Not really sure why though.

Eh...I always figured that if they ever got a divorce, Marge would take Lisa and Maggie with her and leave. Maybe Bart too, but for some reason, I see it more likely he'd end up living with Homer. Not really sure why though.

You know it's funny, I always pictured that Marge would easily get custody of Maggie, however they would fight over Bart and Lisa (they both want Lisa but neither of them want Bart, yes this does sound like a very terrible concept)

Yeah, that's pretty much how I figure it would go down. Homer and Marge would argue over Lisa, but Lisa would end up with Marge because she was the more competent parent and Lisa would rather live with her anyway. Meanwhile, Bart would end up with up with Homer because neither of them want him, but Homer would be too lazy to try and fight Marge on it, so Bart would end up stuck with Homer.

....Man, I didn't realize how horribly depressing all this sounds like when you actually type it down and read it out loud.

So is anybody other than egg council creep going to post an actual review of this episode...?

[MENTION=24053]Brad Lascelle[/MENTION] Well 4 was a guess, but maybe Postcards from the Wedge, although that's really stretching the definition of marriage crisis.

Solid!

I absolutely love Grandpa, so the fact that he basically has an episode to himself is just great, although it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, its still a very decent entry into the Simpsons series.

The pacing was really good through out, the jokes were really good too and I found myself laughing out loud a lot more then usual, it just suffered from those modern Simpsons problems that well... modern Simpsons suffers from, the way they have to practically spell out some of the jokes was just frustrating at times, wasn't off putting but just seemed unnecessary considering the jokes weren't hard to get... There were some brilliant lines in this episode too such as "I'm 86 years old and I'm falling apart like toast in a dishwasher" "She makes me weak at the knees; Your always weak at the knees" (there are a lot more) Very clever story which was kinda hidden in this episode, and it had quite a lot of subtlety despite the spelling out jokes thing... like when Bart sprayed "The Bart" on the wall, because El Barto is meant to be Spanish so in Spain... yeah... also spider pig returned for a scene so all good... Theres so much more I could talk about but then this would be an essay.

It seems like theirs been a breath of fresh air into the Simpsons recently, OK its not a return to form but theirs been some good episodes so far so I hope for it to continue... 4/5 B+. Looks like a B- is going to be classed as a weak episode this season the way its going to so far which tbf isn't bad at all.

ok I'll bite

Yeah that was probably the unfunniest episode in years. Dan and Deb basically put on a clinic of all the worst modern Simps jokes:

-Wringing as much joke as possible out of a bad pun: bay of PIGS (animal) lol
-Overexplanation: "Mariel Hemingway's grandfather? I think he was a writer?"
-If it's meta, it's funny! - "Hey Macarana, For Me This Is A Topical Reference"
-Bad jokes at the expense of inconsistent characterization: "professional research? I don't know what either of those words mean," followed by, "is that study from a peer-reviewed journal?"

And there were probably others but I sorta gave up halfway through. 1/5'ing this, and I imagine this review took more effort than the ep itself.

This was bad, actually this was really bad. So many of the jokes were poor, going on forever. This has to be one of the worst Homer and Abe conflicts ever with the plot resolving itself in one of the cheapest, most unbelievable, ways possible. For me this ranks as the season's worst so far. Actually I might say this was the worst vacation episode yet and that's saying a lot when we've had stuff like that Israel episode.

boy this episode sure happened. abe is croakin', let's go to cuba, he rides a car, there's some old war bud, a waitress wants to fuck him, but it was all an FBI scheme, so this episode than starts being about abe's illness trails off and ends with him getting blue balls. nice stuff. why the fuk does this have 3 credited writers because nothing in this seemed like it was put together competently. deb lacusta voicing isabella was fine for such a NEPOTISMY turn i guess, although it pretty much sounded exactly like tress or something so why bother.

also, at one point in the episode i think i missed something because i turned away for a second and when i looked back we were at some scene where homer was staring at a tv and all the tv was playing was applause and the scene just held on homer staring at a tv playing applauding people for like 20 seconds?

this is a real 1/5 episode but i voted 2/5 by accident ugh #Fuck2016

also ironic or not the fact that CHE GUEFERRY made it into a tv episode in 2016 is at least one of the reasons the world aint doin so well atm

also, at one point in the episode i think i missed something because i turned away for a second and when i looked back we were at some scene where homer was staring at a tv and all the tv was playing was applause and the scene just held on homer staring at a tv playing applauding people for like 20 seconds?

nope homer clapping for 20 secs was literally part of the episode. no clue if it was supposed to be a joke or something.

That was lame and yet another example of a boring Grampa episode. It was also full of really lame jokes and for some reason it needed to have a Dragon's Den parody Idk. Everything about this about was really forgettable. 1/5

An autopilot episode if there ever was one. Plot was a vague mix of about 20 other better episodes, and any jokes that were made (I assume) just kinda flew by as background noise.

1/5

I genuinely feel that this was not that bad at all, the jokes were funny all the way and story wasn't so bad so I don't see why theres so much hate for this?

Back