Rate & Review: "Habeas Tortoise" (UABF16)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
Humour
0.25/1.00

I didn't laugh once, but none of the jokes were painful. For modern Simpsons, that's a win. The library reveal I fount some humour in it, but not enough to produce any laughter. So, a decent attempt or two, with nothing too painful.

Characters
0.50/1.00

Has Homer ever openly acknowledged that others find him dumb? Or, explore this revelation instead of it being a throwaway line? That smidge of character depth was nice, but not too explored. Added townsfolk didn't add much, though. Isn't Lenny, Carl, and Barney his friends? I wonder where they were at.

Flow
0.75/10

None of the jokes were too begging, story wasn't all over the place, things ran pretty smoothly. Lisa pointing out the rabbit hole was a tad disruptive, though. Did the writer really have to pat himself on the back? I feel I might be a little too harsh, as that was the only major disruption, but it was enough to have me turn off the episode.

All things considered
0.75/1.00

An interesting, but largely unexplored character motivation. Most of the jokes weren't horrendous, just lazy. No sign of celebrities, I think. The fact that it wasn't horrible is it's main saving grace.

Total rating: 2.25/4.00

I gave up on it, but managed to make it about fifteen minutes in. There's a pulse somewhere in there.

New season always means something new, right? So, I'm trying some different design of my rate posts. The content is actually the same I wrote, but structure is other. So, I'll divide review into blocks.
Note:ark out of 5 so far, out of 100 (what I really like) the next sumner after whole season. So, let's start :)

In short: in episode there was actually good depicted Homer's inner problem of being "dumb" and not understood. Then the group assembled at Homer's house and… "You Won't Believe…" 's Act 3.🥱 Whatever! Hoover/Gil's sudden love, wedding (in other, maybe entire one-episode story that might could work, but no way from now), and the story setting, essentially rounds there. And went actually too far out of box.

What I liked: a few references to real life conspiracy theories - 5G, "the virus" etc. The staff should go with story in this direction. Like "Leonard became the victim of 5G" or something, the yarn relation (as it shown in old movies).

What I don't like: lack of cool jokes and arose of "jerkass Homer" in act 2

Favourite moments: Mom, it's late, but dad isn't at Moe. Is Moe alright?🙂 Also I liked Fox/Disney prediction… I mean joke:suspicious:Also the line (as I read by Broti Gupta herself) "the zoo is a bunch of kidnapped animals"😶.

Final word: I hope future rewatchings will help, but now I just don't get it. 2.5/5, going… down to 2. The episode really isn't bad, but not enough funny and entertaining. This is just a season premiere, and I'm sure, there'll be much better episodes in the season, right?…
Ha, we share similar thoughts. Completely unintentional that my post ended up below yours. Your structure is pretty good at assessing an episode

I live for the day Simpsons gets the lowest rating from den of geek ever: seven thumbs up.
People pay attention to that site? Always thought it was a clickbait site with nothing of substance. Perhaps look to more credible sites for reviews. Although, I have no idea where that credible site would be.

Something tells me we're going to see a lot more "biting political criticism" in this season. I think Poorhouse Rock was a jumping off point.

Which should be a good (if not great) thing, (and 'Poorhouse Rock' did the satire well in an amusing & entertaining way, at least in my opinion), but browsing this thread & seeing the often mixed response to this episode (which I have yet to see) I am reminded to think that they will inevitably struggle doing the increased biting satire (with the quality going a bit up and down).

Last edited:
4/5, the episode was funny, and had humorous references to the modern pop culture of conspiracies and TikTok. This episode really made Homer feel so stupid about himself, that he won’t tolerate any oppositions against anyone’s ideas. Though I think they made the characters of his group stupider just for Homer to have a number of friends he can count on. Sideshow Mel is still genuinely smart. I didn’t see what was so deadly about the disappearance of the tortoise. Fat Tony has nothing to do with it, and I thought he would have a bigger role.

About the engagement and wedding, they really did pull out the “return to status-quo” card. Not surprised, and this isn’t the first time this has happened. At this point, I have the feeling these changes happen for plot, only to be reversed to normal by the episode’s final act. Nevertheless, still 4/5 as my rating, just not what I was expecting, which is OK still, I guess.

9qLEgXK.gif

Seeing that gif just makes me shiver...not sure what it is about seeing people pulling on skin, but it just makes me feel uncomfortable, like if it was body horror or something.

Selman loves him some weak tea conspiracy/heist bullshit with groups of random characters. Chalmers is the last person who should be in not-Qanon! So much for him being the one sane person in Springfield.

Also Homer is a foodie now, awesome. Does he have PAs bring him 4 meals from 4 different restaurants for lunch every damn day?

0/5

The more I think about this episode, the more it doesn’t work for me. I hesitate to criticise it for what it didn’t do and should have done because that’s rather trite analysis, but it’s difficult to ignore the different (and infinitely more interesting) directions it could have gone when they leap out at me.

I agree with others who say this took the softest, safest route possible. Homer gravitating to conspiracy theories and the groups they spawn because he feels insecure and humiliated doesn’t ring true to me. Well, it does, but it's only half (or a quarter) of the reality. Sure, conspiracy theorists who are mocked and scorned feel alienated and desire kinship with like-minded individuals who validate their beliefs, but this doesn't precipitate their engagement with conspiracy theories – it just reinforces and entrenches it. There’s a lot more involved – a wide range of forces and factors that underpin the phenomenon – but the show seemed uninterested in or oblivious of them.

Excuse my politicising, but here we go:

Conspiracy theories arise out of political cynicism and socio-economic disaffection and displacement. They stem from very real fears and anxieties pertaining to a genuine or imagined loss of safety, security, certainty, and trust as a result of real institutional failures. We all know governments around the world are populated by incompetent if not sinister opportunists who seek to consolidate power and wealth at the expense of everyone else. Is it really that much of a stretch to think they have the resources and capability to orchestrate assassinations, false flag events, and cover ups to achieve that? We all know that big pharmaceutical companies have nothing to gain from curing diseases. Is it really that unreasonable to think they don’t have your best interests at heart, making vaccines threatening and alternative medicines more appealing?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing in favour of these viewpoints, but people have good reason to be sceptical and wary of the systems and structures in our society because the people in charge of them routinely let us down and disenfranchise us. Not to mention the sheer volume of information and stimulus at our disposal with access to the internet. These technological advancements, coupled with late-stage capitalism and various geopolitical events, have made life more chaotic and overwhelming. Is it any wonder that conspiracy theories have spread like wildfire over the last 10-20 years in the wake of 9/11, the Great Recession, the smartphone and social media? Is it any wonder that people seek out tidy explanations and narratives to make sense of the nonsensical and provide some assurance?

Then there are the psychological factors involved.

Conspiracies exploit doubts and suspicions, leading people down rabbit holes in search of truth and certainty. They offer tantalising mysteries or puzzles to solve, capturing our voyeuristic imaginations and impulses. They feed our ego and pride, convincing us we know something others don’t and serving as an intoxicating outlet for contrarian or oppositional tendencies. They help bring order to chaos, allowing us to organise data and resolve apparent inconsistencies or contradictions. They validate and exacerbate our mistrust or lack of faith in institutions. They stimulate powerful neurological systems that prompt our primal predilection for seeking patterns, confirming biases, identifying threats, and releasing dopamine. Conspiracies can be incredibly seductive for all these reasons.

So you can see why I think Habeas Tortoise is quite shallow and sophomoric in its treatment of this subject. Was this really the best statement the show could muster in 2022? That people are attracted to conspiracies because they want to feel smart and affirmed? That's woefully insufficient. The episode is better than its most recent analogue (You Won’t Believe What This Episode is About also co-run by Rob LaZebnik), but only marginally. I criticised that episode for being too broad in its satire and failing to hone in on a brave or incisive argument about outrage culture. This one definitely tries to be more specific, but it lasers in on the wrong point/s. I think it might be too specific actually, focusing too heavily on the minutiae of Homer’s personal insecurities and missing the forest for the trees. Sorry Selman and co, I know, you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Toothless is definitely the right word. Where’s the strain that this places on a family when someone goes off the deep end? Why is everyone portrayed so homogenously and sympathetically? Do conspiracy groups even meet in person like this? A lot of this episode doesn’t feel authentic and it's far too sanitised. I wish it were closer to the likes of Bart’s In Jail or Poorhouse Rock which were more all-encompassing and hard-hitting.

Homer’s characterization was also the weakest it’s been in some time. Again, it doesn’t ring true to me just how sulky he gets and also how engaged he is. Homer is insecure, sure, but he shouldn’t be this vigorous. He’s a lazy man who usually wants to be left alone. Wouldn’t it make more sense to have him succumb to conspiracy theories at home browsing the internet? The real Homer wouldn’t go to the effort of organising social gatherings, doing livestreams in public or cooking paella. On that note, the composition of the Lost Leonard group seems kinda random. I can understand Gil being there because he’s always hard done by, Miss Hoover because she’s bitter and jaded, and maybe Comic Book Guy because he’s something of an outcast who’d spend copious amounts of time on the internet. But Chief Wiggum? Superintendent Chalmers? Where’s Moe? Cletus? Or, hell, even Helen?

I actually don’t think this should have been a Homer-centric episode at all (we already have The Computer Wore Menace Shoes). I considered Lisa, but @Frankbags suggested that Marge would have made more sense and I agree. Marge is reasonably intelligent, down-to-earth and rational. She’s often lonely and deprived of a social circle. She’s also the glue that keeps the family together. It would have been more impactful if she had been the one to go down the rabbit hole (clever little joke, btw, but it didn’t need explaining to us), fracturing the family as she loses herself to the kind of echo chamber extremism that the internet fosters. Imagine an inciting incident where a fear, anxiety or suspicion proved true, turning her away from her family and the mainstream media in favour of insular conspiracy groups that get increasingly detached from reality and radicalised. That would show some courage from a writing standpoint and allow for a stronger point to be made.

I think I’ve written more than enough at this point. Habeas Tortoise misses the mark in a big way, but I didn’t hate it. The plot was fairly competent on its own terms, there was some clever joke writing worthy of some light chuckles, and it certainly wasn’t hampered by the kind of weird third act turn that You Won’t Believe What This Episode Is About pulled on us. It was also less confusing than that episode in its messaging (though arguably just as ineffectual). I just wish this was edgier, harsher, and more focused on the wider issues associated with the likes of QAnon with a better character at its core.

2/5 at this point in time.

Last edited:
On that note, the composition of the Lost Leonard group seems kinda random to me. I can understand Gil being there because he’s always hard done by, Miss Hoover because she’s bitter and jaded, and even Comic Book Guy because he’s something of an outcast who’d spend copious amounts of time on the internet. But Chief Wiggum? Superintendent Chalmers?
Respect Chalmers, to be fair, he was also part of the Preppers in season 24. It's certainly not out of character for him.

(Terrific breakdown by the way).

Respect Chalmers, to be fair, he was also part of the Preppers in season 24. It's certainly not out of character for him.

(Terrific breakdown by the way).
Yeah, I suppose I'm more thinking of classic-era Chalmers.

Matt Selman fancies himself the new Bill Oakley, yet has nerfed Oakley's favorite character beyond recognition. If Oakley were to view a supercut of "Zombie Chalmers" and offer a blistering takedown à la his Instagram live review of Burger King's "Nightmare Whopper", I am confident that Selman would hand the keys back over to Jean.

I think Chalmers has had his moments under Selman's stewardship, but it's been inconsistent. The Road to Cincinnati and Girls Just Shauna Have Fun come to mind as relatively good outings to me.

Chalmers having a very bad supporting character as his offspring is the nail in the coffin for me. And in that ep he's bffs with Homer for some reason? It stinks!

Chalmers having a very bad supporting character as his offspring is the nail in the coffin for me. And in that ep he's bffs with Homer for some reason? It stinks!
Fair enough! It worked for me, but only because I thought it was the best use of Shauna to date.

I don't know man, Selman at this point has hit a sweet-ish spot to be totally watchable despite the stories being just nonsense for this show. The show has a childish glee messing with these characters and it's infectious to a point despite still nearly never being really all that funny. Just feels like an enjoyable kids show a lot of the time. I watched most of season 33 after giving up on the show for a long time and don't regret it. I might even finish it and watch through this season too. Not much to say about this individual episode, really, other than it feels like more of the same of what I described. The conspiracy rabbit hole stuff was not exactly a goldmine of rich satire or yuks but it was a fine sandbox for the show to play in for the duration of 22 minutes. Maybe it's me getting worn down, but I think that's enough of a recommendation at this point.

I dont really buy that Chalmers being a part of the conspiracy group is all that bad. I feel like if the satire is already thin enough, trying to make it so only the dumb or lonely people would fall down that rabbit hole would also be a miss in terms of the episode trying to say anything. I like that while it had a bunch of fringes of society people, it also had a few people who should know better but ended up in that rabbit hole despite being otherwise normal. Didnt feel like it needed an explanation.

@Frankbags Yeah Homer has been pretty firmly out of his Jerkass phase in the modern incarnation of the show. I like it though I can see where some people say it's gone a bit too far and the show is a bit overly sweet sometimes.

I dont really buy that Chalmers being a part of the conspiracy group is all that bad. I feel like if the satire is already thin enough, trying to make it so only the dumb or lonely people would fall down that rabbit hole would also be a miss in terms of the episode trying to say anything. I like that while it had a bunch of fringes of society people, it also had a few people who should know better but ended up in that rabbit hole despite being otherwise normal. Didnt feel like it needed an explanation.
The episode spends a lot of time predicating its story and themes on the idea that people in the group are attracted to it as a result of insecurities and being perceived as stupid. I can see that with most of them, but not Chalmers. I have no issue with someone reasonably intelligent, rational and grounded becoming part of the group, but their reasons for doing so should be more distinct. As it stands, Chalmers’ motivations are conflated with everyone else’s, but it doesn’t line up with the character.

Last edited:
Yeah.. Chalmers was always the no-nonsense authority figure to me, it's a little weird seeing him cozying up with Homer last season.. but him being part of this group isn't the most outlandish thing, I'm not a huge fan of where they took the character but he really only had 3 lines and SEYMOUR was his most used.

@Smear-Gel I don't mind homer being sweet but I miss him being a short tempered asshole sometimes, I'm not asking to bring the loud screaming jerk ass homer of the teen seasons but I miss the early seasons where he'd get angry because of his stupidity. I think the only time we got a somewhat sweeter homer was in stories with Lisa or flashbacks to when he was a teen. There's a lot to dislike about the characterisation.

Seeing that gif just makes me shiver...not sure what it is about seeing people pulling on skin, but it just makes me feel uncomfortable, like if it was body horror or something.

Good ol' uncanny valley, I'm guessing. It doesn't bother me, but that extra effort, semi-realistic animation do feel so bizarre (especially as it is just a simple scene of Marge massaging Homer's forehead). Makes me think if she's helping him prepare to audition to play a Klingon for an upcoming Star Trek project or something. Also that redraw in those twitter comments made me chuckle.

Really enjoyed that analysis @B-Boy did (and he did so without giving away any major spoilers to boot). Will get back once I've seen the episode (which should be interesting even though it's not an especially good episode).

This is a fine episode but could up being rather forgettable for playing it so safe. For what it wanted to do it mostly succeeded and it got some good jokes going for it. I do like how Homer has been portrayed despite that he isn't usually that hinged on what other people think of him. The use of all the secondary characters felt kinda random and I didn't buy the Gil and Hoover ship even if it was just for their interest in their conspiracy theories. I never considered these characters as dumb either. I expected that when Homer was going to interact with the missing tortoise group that it would be entirely new characters. The only new character is the zookeeper who could have played a bit of a bigger role.

The couch gag is good (and got me there for a second having shitty internet connection as of late). The first act had some good jokes and even their ''problem'' of having mobile libaries handing out free books is actually common in my country aswell. I like when Moe wanted to hang out with that guy finding sexual interests out of books. Also liked Homer thinking that the Titanic got shot down and Lisa trying to correct him. Marge massaging Homer's head had some... animation going for it. Homer's interaction with the zookeeper was funny and later on when he hides under the table from the internet. Didn't find it that odd that Chalmers is also that interested in the tortoise.

I like the build up that the missing tortoise group was going full Qanon levels of conspiracies. Accusing the zookeeper, Wiggum apparently wants to join the group aswell despite his earlier scene with Homer, and apparently Gil and Hoover want to marry. I do get that its meant to be sudden because of their only interest being the missing tortoise. Homer finds Leonard and I like the gag with Lisa calling out the irony of a literal rabbit hole. The final act was pretty straightforward with Homer revealing Leonard to the group and their reactions were pretty funny while thinking that this Leonard is a robot. They find something else to be a conspiracy theorist about and it had a funny final gag.

Its mostly the jokes that carry this episode with a rather thin but single plot. I also like the use of most characters, even with Marge and the kids being rather worrysome with what Homer is doing. There wasn't anything that bad to call out but I do think they could have played it less safe and play more on how far they can bring their conspiracy theories which could possibly lead to some real wacky stuff which is something that the show used to do more (entering Scully territories). Overall score is a 3.5/5 but not sure to round it up or down, for now I'll round it up to a:

4/5

I knew there was something off with this episode when I finished it but I couldn't exactly figure out what, until I read @B-Boy's excellent analysis on the subject. I'm not much a conspiracy connoisseur, but while I do get why Homer would get himself into such a thing more for being supported than for the actual cause they're trying to debunk, making ALL of them do that for the exact same reason is just... out of reality, even for me, the guy who just said he didn't know much of a thing about conspiracies two lines ago. So where's the satire here ? All conspiracists are idiots who just want to be loved, and that's it ? If they don't find that in the conspiracy they got themselves into, they find another one to stay together ? I don't know, I'm confused. I'm sure there are some people who work that way, but to make that a generality feel farfetched to me.

Plot-wise, the irony comes for the fact that it feels like the writing room was like "there are no bad ideas" and applied it to a T with this episode. The more it goes along, the more it tangles itself. And while I do support Matt Selman for giving some of the supporting cast the spotlight once in a while, sometimes I feel like they pick the characters randomly, and in this case, people like Hoover, Drederick Tatum and especially Gill of all people (he's desperate but to this point ?), I don't know what they're doing here. Also bla bla flat earthers joke, just go watch Inside Job, it's much funnier. Though there are some clever jokes once in a while ("The truth is different these days, it's more of a hunch you're willing to die for"). And again, some of them are overexplaining and it kills the humor and the spontaneity (did you really need to precise who Sylvester Stallone was the voice of in The Zookeeper).

Not much to add since most of it was already covered earlier, but the previous season premiere did way more for me, and that's a hill I'm willing to die on. Toothless as it was, it didn't have botched, one-dimensional satire. 2.5/5, rounded up for now but it can go the other way anytime.

Last edited:
I do think Inside Job is good but I wouldnt say it's satire about conspiracies is that much deeper than this episode, the quality really just comes from the character stuff of the main characters and all the inside job stuff is just the background for it.

@B-Boy I guess that makes sense, I was more thinking about the wider reasons for someone joining the group and just didnt really link it to the reason presented for the rest of the peope to be in the group as well. I guess that does muddy things, being so specific about the reasons people turned to conspiracies in the episode does add an implication to everyone in the group that doesnt work as easily for all of them.

Well, the other thing is often the kinds of conspiracies tied with Qanon and the like are quite the opposite to finding some dark seedy truth. Or used to sound legitimate. "I like this guy because he hates the gays" is a lot less palatable nowadays but "this guy is the one thing standing between MURRICA and satanic takeover by a secret pedophile cabal" can get super religious people by your side and you can call anyone that opposes them a groomer or whatever. If anything maybe Helen would have been a better choice for the group than one of the others, she's exactly the alarmist that'd fall for such a thing, as demonstrated by her bit at the start of the episode.

If anything it'd probably be more accurate if it were the group trying to find ways to harass/attempt to kill the zookeeper and using Leonard as an excuse (maybe even kidnapping him outright) Sad to say, a lot of people are just straightforwardly terrible and will happily find ways to pretend they're justified when really their positions are indefensible but benefit them in ways, real or imagined.

Also I really don't know what's with the show's need to try and paint these folks as sympathetic. Same with phone-scammers last season. Especially when they're pitiless to less terrible or not even terrible people.

I was reading a few frames of a Simpsons comics before going to bed last night and this particular story has Mr Burns drugging the donuts to make his employees slaves, there's a court scene where Birch Barlow is present, it made me think about the episode "Sideshow Bob Roberts".

Birch was a parody of Rush Limbaugh
Take a look at this clip

Do you think they would align Homer with a similar figure nowadays? It obviously laughs at Barlow but also Homer, I don't think they would risk such a thing today.

That has to do with the approach to satire the writers had back then. Homer being a fan of Birch/Rush Limbaugh wasn't seen as potentially polarizing since it's Homer simply being influenced by someone without understanding what they actually stand for. But nowadays the social divide between rightwing and leftwing politics is even bigger, so therefore Homer being shown as blindly following a conspiratorial/bigoted figure like this conflicts with their desire to make him as likable to the audience is possible. "How can the audience care for Homer if he follows someone with such despicable views?"
It's not only about Homer being the butt of the joke (Which he still can be), they've imposed stricter rules on what kind of buffoonery they are comfortable showing him being a part of.

Last edited:
I do think Inside Job is good but I wouldnt say it's satire about conspiracies is that much deeper than this episode, the quality really just comes from the character stuff of the main characters and all the inside job stuff is just the background for it.

And I do agree with you, but I think it has a funnier take on humor at the expense of conspiracists, and just goes further than the very basic stuff (though the humor arguably isn't the biggest strength of the series). But I digress here.

Meanwhile the episode became the most viewed scripted TV-show on Sunday: 1.4 and 4.15 mil. (last season high - Lackey on Fire - had 1.2 and 3.97 mil). Huge football boost, what to said:D

Back