Rate & Review: "A Serious Flanders" (QABF21 & QABF22)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters
Watching again and... I think my opinion of Part 2 just took a nosedive if they did what I think they did.

... like, did Ned just get  raped? He looks so displeased the whole time, even the "just think of Homer" line is seriously messed up if this is the case. And then he gets victim blamed too. Yikes. 

Watching again and... I think my opinion of Part 2 just took a nosedive if they did what I think they did.

... like, did Ned just get  raped? He looks so displeased the whole time, even the "just think of Homer" line is seriously messed up if this is the case. And then he gets victim blamed too. Yikes. 

You are making light of rape with a comment like this. What is wrong with you?

Making light?

Uh, he looked incredibly displeased, said to think of Homer, he didn't want it. Yet it happened. If anything's making light it's using that line as a joke. It's basically "lie back and think of England"

Would he have done the act, which he's grimacing his way through and looks totally ashamed of afterwards, if he didn't need to get that money back to save Homer? Like that scene is really screwed up actually.

Last edited:
It is possible to have intercourse and regret it after.. He initiated it, he went along with it to get out of a lie and to get the key.. so he slept with her to get the key. She did not force herself upon him.

This is the problem with the new woke crowd, you spin words to mean what you want while at the same time you reduce the weight of the word.

This is the problem with the new woke crowd, you spin words to mean what you want while at the same time you reduce the weight of the word.
Ding ding ding and THERE'S the word.

Let's put it this way.

Say you had a choice between coke and pepsi. And you wanted coke, then I put a gun to one of your loved ones' face and say I'll kill them if you don't pick the pepsi. It's not your choice at all, right? Because you didn't want the pepsi but I forced you to take it?

He had unwanted sex he didn't want AS HE WAS HAVING IT because he was very clearly uncomfortable the whole time, before during and after. Again, they do a joke on "lie back and think of England" except "haha it sounds gay"

He was pressured into it ("fish or get out the hole"). He wouldn't have done it if Homer's life wasn't literally at stake, he was trying to take it when she wasn't there as in sex wasn't his first choice. He was pressured on the spot. He wouldn't have done it if he could have just gotten the safe open in any other way. The consent was dubious at best.

Even afterwards when Barb's saying she's getting a "faygo" from the Minifridge... Ned asks for Grape, which considering what that rhymes with, the "think of England" joke, Ned's looking ashamed and then staring blankly feels suspect. And if they didn't mean this scene that way maybe they should have thought it through like, at all.

This is the problem with anyone who seriously uses "woke" like that. The only real argument they have is buzzwords.

Last edited:
Ding ding ding and THERE'S the word.

Let's put it this way.

Say you had a choice between coke and pepsi. And you wanted coke, then I put a gun to one of your loved ones' face and say I'll kill them if you don't pick the pepsi. It's not your choice at all, right? Because you didn't want the pepsi but I forced you to take it?

He had unwanted sex he didn't want AS HE WAS HAVING IT because he was very clearly uncomfortable the whole time, before during and after. Again, they do a joke on "lie back and think of England" except "haha it sounds gay"

He was pressured into it ("fish or get out the hole"). He wouldn't have done it if Homer's life wasn't literally at stake, he was trying to take it when she wasn't there as in sex wasn't his first choice. He was pressured on the spot. He wouldn't have done it if he could have just gotten the safe open in any other way. The consent was dubious at best.

This is the problem with anyone who seriously uses "woke" like that. The only real argument they have is buzzwords.

I rarely use the term Woke, only when people like you have problematic reasoning, it's meant as an insult because you devalue the meaning of words by twisting the definition into a soft definition that you can then apply to any instance, you are making light of actual rape victims.

You went straight to an hyperbole of someone holding a gun to your head over soda. This is not what happened to Ned, he made a choice to save himself from the situation, he saw the key and USED sex to get the key. It made him uncomfortable but nobody held a gun to his head.

He didn't want to have sex though. It was under duress. Which isn't consent.

He was coerced into it, was incredibly uncomfortable, had the "think of england" line and oh yeah, wouldn't have done it if he had literally any other choice. And way to miss the point of choices under duress. If he didn't then far as he knew, he wouldn't get the money and Homer would die. It was under a threat to someone he cared about, even if not directly from Barb. Far as he knew, someone literally had a gun to Homer's head. Again, it's at best dubious. And the Think of England joke and all really hinted that they knew what they were doing.

Also you're talking to someone who's literally been coerced into a sexual situation when she was a kid. So maybe don't lecture me about making light of shit like that when you responded to my discomfort about Shauna, a character who sexually assaulted a child at the very least, being portrayed as sympathetic with "but what about Homer strangling Bart"?

If you really did rarely whine about "the woooookes" then you wouldn't have used it in the first place.

Last edited:
It's still not rape. She didn't rape him, she's not the one who kidnapped Homer, she wasn't in cahoots with the kidnappers. She's a woman with a sex drive with an interest in Ned.. If you think this is rape then no amount of backstory on your life will change my mind. It's not rape.

My comments on homer being physically abusive still stands.. It's not about what Shauna did it's about how you thought they were writing her as sympathetic when in your opinion she deserves to die a painful death.

I wasn't planning to give him any more of my time but good call anyway.

Frankly I'd have been open to the idea I was reading too much into things.or that it wasn't on purpose.

But yeah sorry for that. It kinda hit a nerve...

Last edited:
I like these episodes where they try something different and can mess about without worrying about the status quo.
It wasn't as shocking as the first part, which had character deaths, and the ending was predictable and a bit boring, but it was at least entertaining overall.

Yeah, that's my issue with the ending of the 2nd part.. It did feel like they were following the source material a little too much.. It was interesting but in the end, the perfect life that hides a dark truth took me out of the simpsons universe a little. It all felt a little by the numbers, Bart being an eaglescout, Lisa being popular.. and then marge and homer pushing the twin beds together. I will have to rewatch them together and judge them as a whole, I still think the 2nd part was a little rushed for time.

While it never would have happened with this show, them making this two-parter an one hour special (60-65 minutes of episode time) instead would have done wonders for it as a whole, maybe especially as it could have extended that last post-time skip act & had a proper episode closure rather than just a quick montage of everything going back to normal. Oh, what could have been...

Think I was saying that too, just like do the whole thing in one go, feels like that oughta be the way to do a non-canon two parter.

Again, lil' disspoint at the lack of other characters since I liked quite a few of the designs, especially Rod and Todd.

Yeah, but I think 3 parts would be overdoing it, don't want to make an entire season just being based off of this. 2 is fine.

At last, I could watched…
Part 2
Now, I understand - this division into chapters was really needed, and here, luckily, we've got less mash up structure

Ch. 4 - the story of Ned's Grampa was really so/so. No related to us "ordinary show" characters (if not count Szyslak surname), character broke bad - not the best picture to said. Understand, and there are really tough moments, but still atypically.

Speaking of atypical, in Ch.5 Barb's out of character (from part 1… even not canon ok I'm tired of it) as bit*h (excuse me, but that's true) was really bad. Again, all the Ned's motto is clear, but her portrait as "bad" girlfriend went too far. About other bad pair - Collete and… Irish (I'm too lazy to check his name) their fight was really exceed and blown from nothing, but I liked the romance moment before dark pair death. And another pair, H&M - the GRSAT marriage crisis - sorry -bthe marriage crisis with GREAT long time "Homer the egoist" reason.

His act was really bad, but the way of his atonement for sin in Ch 6 and cold relationshios (for 3 years) with Marge and conflict end is really emotional. In the same time, their quick "exit" from the Ned's story made me laugh😂😂. To said, act 3 (chapter 6) is the best among 4-6. Amazing montage(s), unsolved ending (according to genre), plot lines (Marge's suddenly appearences, again according to genre), love story… So, in short, I'd give 5/5 only for chapter 6, but 4 & 5 didn't impressed me much, sadly.

So, 4/5 for part 2. AND 4/5 for the poll for both parts. At last, good 2-parter, since 1995!

Oh, just to note: for me the 2nd part is worse, than the 1st

Last edited:
Yeah, but I think 3 parts would be overdoing it, don't want to make an entire season just being based off of this. 2 is fine.

3 parts would have been a little too much, but I was more thinking of a full 60 minute episode (aired as a TV movie of sorts).

On another note, looking at how the 5/5s are winning in the poll and the incredibly positive entertainment site reviews, it almost feels like a crime not to not give this one a 5/5 (I mean, this was a true, full blooded effort deserved of praise), but oh man, a few things did not quite stick the landing in the end and that held it back a little bit to me (and I admit that maybe I am a little too critical sometimes, now probably more so after how most Jean episodes have turned out recently), but the way I see it both 4/5 and 5/5 are great, respectable grades.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still beyond overwhelmed how they managed to pull this off. Selman is truly showing how it's meant to be done. Take notes, Warrin' Priests. *cough*

How weird and ironic that 'Warrin Priests' had one of the most awful characterizations of Ned in the HD era (in my opinion, at least) while this one ('A Serious Flanders') had one of the best. These two two-parters sure mirror each other in more than one way.

Well, I saw it and I was impressed. Seeing that Neds' grandfather wasn't the saint that Ned thought he was really made it worth watching. It shows that not everybody is perfect and had to know the truth. Even Ned had to break some of his own rules to save Homer. It makes him more human. I was mad as hell when I saw Homer was saving the money and getting himself burned. I was going "you mother fucker!!": Don't you dare go for that money!! Another ass hole moment by Homer and Marge had the right to be mad and call him the most selfish man ever. Seeing Ned have sex for the second time to get the money shows that he cared for Homer. Things really picked up when Homer had a change of heart and helped Ned and proves to Marge he cared for Ned. The bad guy told Ned the truth about his Grandfather and Ned freaked out. It may have left Ned sad but he'll get over it. I'm glad Ned got back to Springfield. I liked it when Homer has his own business, Bart is a scout and Lisa is popular but it won't stay that way because I saw pictures of tomorrows' episode and they'll be back to normal. I prefer they stay this way than Homer going back to the plant. Oh well, 4.5

By the way, did anybody notice somewhere in A Serious Flanders that Lisa was wearing her purple winter coat from The Way of the Dog?

I thought Part 1 could've been funnier - the show seemed to get more of a handle on the concept as it went on - but a very strong and memorable showing. B+

I watched this a few weeks ago now. It was actually very good. Pretty compelling commitment to parodying prestige TV with an actually decently engaging story and conflict that fits the characters pretty snug. Not much to complain about. Wasn't super funny but there were a few chuckles. Easily the best episode I've caught since Thanksgiving of Horror and if I'm being real probably since Halloween. 4/5.

Pretty neat seeing the show do something very different, more dramatic but with a few jokes thrown in for good measure. A non-canonical installment outside of the "Treehouse of Horror" specials where characters die, no less!
But Fat Tony crushing out his cigar on Kosta's egg and Kosta eating it was so disgusting!
Snake's reaction to the crime scene at Lard Lad's was hilarious!

I'll watch Part 2 later.

Looking back at the season some and have decided it's time to changing my rating for this duology:

Part 1 gets bumped up to a 5/5 while Part 2 gets bumped up to a 4/5 (rounded down from a 4.5/5), which for me totals for a 5/5. I think the ambitious nature of this thrilling story really paid off in the end, despite the second part not quite reaching up to the heights of the first one (especially due to not being given a proper epilogue), but it still is a great one and well deserved of the praise (even though it has its naysayers, which I can understand with the dark tonalities and the violence being offputting to some).

I can't believe how much I loved this episode. Very happy to be giving an episode out of season 33 a perfect score. I wouldn't have dialed it back the violence at all. The Simpsons is after all an adult show.
~
5/5

Part 1
The strength of plot really baded on emotions tight, rather kind, down-to-earth story, full of jokes.

The staff's mission was accomplished: we got a streaming-related Fargo-parody story with much of adult things violence.🩸

As in every criminal drama we had dome level of comedy. The jokes are here, and are on different levels. From causing a weird smile to making you lol.

I love chapters totles and their even brief connection to the plot. Also really love Comic Book Guy sarcasm here😂

Probably, I dare to said… wait - I do this review live, so keep the ending of sentence for a while after part 2👇.

plot 24/25
absurdity (the possibility of what is happening and whether I liked it) 24/25 (it is non-canon, so much isn't included)
comedy 18/25
originality (level of references and whether I liked them) 21/25

Part 2
In most cases 2nd parts are worth than the 1st one…😌

That tight we was kept in part 1 had disappeared and we got just a really good episode.

More comicality, but still strong story. We had a Ned's dillema and gradual falling in all sences; we got an (un)real story of "good beide-lovable sheriff Flanders" (I didn't get many aspects of it). We had fantastic Homer and Marge crisis - not just boring marriege crisis, but whole disappear of real love because of classic jerkass egoist Homer.

Beautiful animation in part 1 and great sequence in act 6.

If comparing both parts, both are really good, but part 2 lost the mood and charm part 1 had presented. It was great there was a week pause between parts (like on streaming, huh, huh, you got?🤗).

Saying about wraparound, I still like the gag with rewind the tale, and these multiple screens. Also like the ending: getting rid of Homer and Marge ("ok. Phew!") and the final sequence without clear end…

And regarding that sentence, I was going to write "Probably, I dare to said this is the best Selman-runned episode", but no. Objectively, the episodes are interesting, but not for everybody.

plot 18/25
absurdity (the possibility of what is happening and whether I liked it) 22/25
comedy 16/25
originality (level of references and whether I liked them) 22/25

TOTAL for both parts 82.5/100 (87+78) (strong 4/5, with rounding, or B+) GOOD!

Continuing to play catch up on UK Disney+, I went into this one with maybe a tinge of bias beforehand, having heard some of the praise this episode has gotten over the last year. I have to say A Serious Flanders Pt. 1 & 2 largely met those expectations. I haven't seen the TV series of Fargo, but loved the movie a long time ago so much of the parody went a little over my head. That being said, this was still a well made episode. It's maybe not my favourite of this season so far, which goes to Lisa's Belly by a hair, but I still enjoyed it thoroughly.

I was quite shocked by the opener. The Rich Texan (or Richard Texan, which got a laugh out of me) getting so violently murdered should have been a tip-off that this wasn't meant to be canon, but I thought "Hey, stranger things have happened to the show. They could have just decided to kill off this character they have no more need for." That changed when the Springfield Mob started getting killed off left, right and centre. The Burns head exploding was so unexpected that it got another laugh out of me. Other than that, there weren't that many jokes that got me. I should return to this episode to see what I've missed if I ever start watching the series. I also should mention that scene where Ned falls down the mountain and discovers the bag, as the animation is top notch. I love seeing this show become more fluid in its animation all these years on, even if it comes out of nowhere. I'll still go back and watch it multiple times. Whoever worked on that shot did wonderful work here.

In the end this episode certainly earns its high praise, though if I end up rewatching it sometime I'll have to make sure to watch a couple episodes of Fargo first.

4/5

Back