Rate and Review: "World War III" (Ullman short MG20)

How would you rate "World War III"?

• Total voters
5/5 for me
Somebody(admins/mods) put a poll didnt know how to put it
Thank you Shoz.Poll Added

Last edited:
This might be one of my favorites. It has the feeling of a twisted childhood memory, which is something the shorts excel at. Along with Adil from "Crepes of Wrath," it's one of the few reminders from the early days that the Cold War was still going on in the background. It's notable that this is the first of Homer's wacky schemes and adds a dose of insanity to his character (which is still vaguely defined at this point) though I'm not sure how insane it would've seemed at the time. I love that Marge teams up with the kids, and Julie Kavner does such a great reading of the last line ("We'll let him out in the morning") that implies so much about their relationship. Nothing really notable about the animation in this episode; I'm not crazy about the screams which just look like they're being electrocuted. There's a can of "Canned Chicken Wings" (perhaps a precursor to "wyngz?") in the fallout shelter... I like the continuing trend of strange artificial food (like the ill-defined microwave goop from "Eating Dinner") that populates the Simpsons' world.

This might be one of my favorites. It has the feeling of a twisted childhood memory, which is something the shorts excel at. Along with Adil from "Crepes of Wrath," it's one of the few reminders from the early days that the Cold War was still going on in the background. It's notable that this is the first of Homer's wacky schemes and adds a dose of insanity to his character (which is still vaguely defined at this point) though I'm not sure how insane it would've seemed at the time. I love that Marge teams up with the kids, and Julie Kavner does such a great reading of the last line ("We'll let him out in the morning") that implies so much about their relationship. Nothing really notable about the animation in this episode; I'm not crazy about the screams which just look like they're being electrocuted. There's a can of "Canned Chicken Wings" (perhaps a precursor to "wyngz?") in the fallout shelter... I like the continuing trend of strange artificial food (like the ill-defined microwave goop from "Eating Dinner") that populates the Simpsons' world.
This is one of the things I most love about the Old Shorts that got never translated into the Half-hour Shows.Buzz Cola and Duff Beer are cool and all but they seem so standard compared to for example the Microwave Goop that you mentioned...or Frosty Chocolate Milkshakes

Well, there's Tubbbbb!

But yeah, kind of a shame the surrealish food products didn't really carry over

I remember watching this on the 138th episode in spectacular and the teacher asked all of us what we wanted in our dream house, I said bomb shelter and I got sent to the psychologist.

Act 1: Pretty funny. Homer was slowest though, and he still complained about everyone else being slow. What a jerk. 4/5

Act 2: Homer the Hypocrite strikes again. 4/5

Act 3: enter text here 4/5

Act 4: Wow, what jerks. 4.5/5

Overall 4.12/5 Rounded down to 4/5 obviously.

IIRC, Marge's last line - "We'll let him out in the morning!" - is the first time Marge sounds like how she sounds in the TV series

Ha! The best segment I've seen so far. Golden classic:thumbsup:Homer's behavior is too 1960s for 1980s.
5/5

Back