Votes: 47 34.1%
  • 2/5: Another Al Jean Punditry

Votes: 35 25.4%
  • 1/5: A Season of Lisa Episodes

Votes: 16 11.6%

• Total voters
the first one had a vampire, the second one had a werewolf

the twilight series is basically modern-day remakes of abbott & costello movies

I hate to imitate Comic Book Guy but… yhe. This is basically “Worst Three House of Horror ever”.

For once, I think that the first segment had some fun visuals ideas and I love the hang-man joke… but my problem with it is that it was WAY to short. It just didn’t felt like a story, just series of quick gags. Before you notice it started it ended. In the old days those segments didn’t had this problem.

I didn’t care one bit for the second segment… (WHAT THIS THING HAVE TO DO WITH HALLOWEEN AGAIN?) It was poor enough, but the thing I hate most about it… Hugh Laurie. I love this guy and it hurt me to see him be such wasted potential of a guest star. It’s bad enough when they bring, a celebrity just for one line (with some rare examples – see “Lisa’s first world”) but here they had a character with a decent part, and yet his character didn’t got a single funny or interesting line. What’s the point of bringing a guest star for a role any other actor could do?

They did a better job with Daniel Radcliffe but unfortunately, while arguably the best – the “Tweenlight” was bland and had only few ok jokes, but honestly I only laugh when Dracula called Lisa “fifty temptress”.

Also – ending just felt cut. They usually had some sort of a finally for those shows and here it was like “that’s it”.
So far I disapointed by most of this season and seeing "Three House of Horror" this poor is the biggest.

I think this episode was alright; nothing mindblowing and nothing horrible. The whole idea of the first segment with all the various board games becoming real was a good one, but it was too short and crammed but had some nice moments (the mouse trap board game joke was pretty nice). The second segment with the murder plot was stronger and had some fun moments even though it wasn't fantastic; I liked those more darkly humorous bits since it gave it more of the Treehouse Of Horror feeling the Treehouse episodes should have. The last segment of the bunch about Lisa and the vampire boy was another okay one and had some nice animation and gags; it was better than I expected but not by much, but it was a good thing they didn't focus too much on the romance. Overall, it was a good episode which I enjoyed despite it being far from perfect.

3/5

i rewatched this last night, and whilst it was not as awful, it was still really stupid.

opening: senseless violence. The Office parody would have worked a lot better if A. the frankenstein hadn't mentioned the show (it's not like it's a hard parody to get; i don't even watch The Office much and i would have gotten it without the frankenstein mentioning it), and B. if they used Simpsons characters and not random monsters (though i get why they did use random monsters, i still would have liked simpsons characters).

first segment:

this had a plot, yes, but it was mostly just made to make random jokes/gags about board games. the scene where bart and milhouse just keep naming different games over and over basically screams "we're making parodies of board games you all know and have probably played before! isn't it clever to do this!" the chief wiggum joke, as stated in the past, was stupid, the way he dies. it's a stupid chess joke. though i did like lou correcting him and his "i just got squashed. you think you could cut me some slack?" the rest of the segment was painfully stupid and as stated before in this thread, just an excuse to make lame board game jokes, none of which were really that amusing.

master and cadaver:

this had the best plot, i felt, but it wasn't executed well. there were like no jokes (outside maggie as alex, at the very end; no jokes in the actual story). Roger was an OK character, but i dunno. Homer walking off screen and on screen... this was like a 6-7 minute segment, and they needed a gag that lasted longer than usual? I know a lot of episodes these days have jokes like this, but you'd think they wouldn't have to drag moments longer in THOH segments, even little moments like this. Sorry, but Homer walking off screen, and walking back, 4-5 times (once with roller skates!) just isn't funny. It's lazy. These writers can make any joke go on longer than they needed. Like i said, the only laugh this episode got from me was the end with maggie as alex. Also, i know it's a THOH and not meant to be taken seriously, but why would Marge kill herself INSTANTLY after Homer killed all those people? There's no way Marge would condone suicide, is there? and it's so rushed. "I can't live with the guilt." again, i know the fact this is a THOH and not meant to be canon or taken seriously, but this bugged me for some reason. It just seems so unlike marge.

Tweenlight:

i liked daniel radcliffe in this, and it had some jokes that were good: ned on the table, homer at the end, the two vampires dying because of cholesterol in homer, "isn't it ironic? a cross being used to kill someone." milhouse as the poodle. It just didn't seem like something Simpsons should parody. Twilight? A lot of the fans who watch this know nothing about Twilight, and so a parody of it in a THOH segment would come across as... well, boring probably. But i liked it a little more than i did the first time i saw it. It's by no means great, but it wasn't as god-awful as i thought it was the last time.

This really isn't a great THOH by any means. I think last year I was just incredibly disappointed because it sounded like it could be great. My grade is now a 2.5/5. It's not great but it isn't as terrible as i believed it to be last year

I changed my mind:

War & Pieces- 8.0\10, B+
Master and Cadaver- 1.0\10, F
Tweenlight- 2.5\10, D- (idea is awful, but that was funny)

Overall: 3.8\10 or D+
Second worst THOH ever

War And Pieces: Medicore but probably the best of the three. 2.5/5
Master And Cadaver: Boring, i liked the opening but otherwise meh. 2/5
Tweenlight: Boring but i suppose it could have been much worse. 2/5

Not the worst episode but one of the weaker thohs of the series. 2/5

War and Pieces: This segment is quite fun, and with many good scenes. It could have been much better, but I liked it. (B)

Master and Cadaver: A fascinating plot with an interesting unknown, which loses points for its excess of blood and deaths. (B-)

TweenLight: The plot in which Lisa has a boyfriend is already unbearable. Here an acceptable work was done, but not very interesting. (C+)

OVERALL: B- (3/5)

the first post in 3 years

1. Opening (setting) - Homer and Bart's fight was great, but Frink and Munsters (never see them though) wraparound:(
  2. War and Pieces - Really bad segment: from the plot to implementation 54/100 The 8th worst segment overall THs, IMHO
  3. Master and Cadaver - The idea of H&M as killers is good and fresh at the time, but there weren't much laugh, and the "all dead" ending ruined all atmosphere. 64/100
  4. TweenLight - Just awful and boring. Plus, stupid title pun, bad guest star appearance. What else to said? The 2nd place in the worst THs segments. 49/100

TOTAL (in average) 55.67/100 (strong 2/5, with rounding, or C-). BAD!
IMHO, the worst Treehouse of Horror!

Last edited:
Back