Rate and Review "Treehouse Of Horror III"

How would you rate Treehouse Of Horror III?

• Total voters
"Clown Without Pity" 5/5
"King Homer" 3.5/5
"Dial Z For Zombie" 3.5/5

Overall: 4/5

Note: 5000th post

Very good Treehouse of Horror, the bits in between the segments are very good and pretty much match the quality of each segment. My favourite out of the three is Clown Without Pity. A

It's excellent. Not as good as the first two Halloween episodes, but what we have here are three superbly-crafted episodes. The first, Clown Without Pity is, in my opinion, the best of the trio. Delightfully weird, but not completely insane. King Homer is a decent, funny, well-plotted parody of King Kong, but it's lacking a certain something. Dial 'Z' For Zombies is also good, the best moment coming right at the end, where the family are relieved to be able to think for themselves again, and not as mindless zombies, as they stare blankly at the television.

CWP: A
KH: B+
DZFZ: B
Wrap Around: A
Lots of funny little sight gags in here, like the cancelled shows in the graveyard, Bart's clockwork orange costume, the entire King Homer segment. Not the best THOH, but it's quite enjoyable. B+

Clown Without Pity A. What a Halloween short is supposed to be: scary in a funny sort of way. The best of the three segments.

King Homer B+. A decent King Kong parody. Good, but not great.

Dial "Z" for Zombie A-. Just like the first short, scary in a funny sort of way. What a Halloween short is supposed to be.

Overall A-. Three very solid shorts put together a good episode.

5/5 my second favorite THOH ever (the first bieng IV). I'm a big zombie fan, so "Dial Z For Zombies" is a real treat. Also the episode has my favorite THOH line ever "Marge, Marge! The doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me!"

Clown without Pity: A
King Homer: A-
Dial Z for Zombie: A+

Overall: A

This comes close to the best THoH... by which I mean it comes chronologically right next to the best THoH ever (THoH IV). There's no reason for me to mention this, but I felt the need to pimp THoH IV.

Anyway, this episode (and above all, the segment "Dial Z for Zombies") is one of those things that is enclosed in a mist of nostalgia. I don't know what it was, but Dial Z for Zombies was always a necessary watch come Halloween. My good memories of the times spent watching it effectively make my grade of it worthless, as it's so wrapped in bias. Anyway.

Clown Without Pity: A- (Hurray for Demonic Dolls)
King Homer: A/A- (Hurray for Classic Movie Parodies)
Dial Z for Zombies: A+ (Hurray for Mind-Numbing Nostalgia)

Well, this'll be the last (and first?) of these Season Four review thread.....I'd pretty much give every episode an A, so it all seems kind of useless.....great THOH though, my favorite of the first three.

I didn't really like the Clown Without Pity, King Homer was okay... but (as if you haven't already anticipated) Dial Z for Zombie was great (due to the following)!

Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad!
Homer: Did you wreck the car?
Bart: Nooo!
Homer: Did you raise the dead?
Lisa: Yesss!
Homer: But the car's okay?
Kids: Uh-huh.
Homer: All right then.

Clown Without Pity - A
King Homer - A-
Dial Z For Zombies - A-

An overall A-, one of the best THOHs.

The second or third best THOH ever (the best is, no doubt, THOH IV, and THOH V is just as great). I find that it's easiest to review THOHs by segment, so here it goes:

Clown Without Pity: The best of the three, hands down. It's simply hilarious. As a matter of fact, this one contains one of my favorite back-and-forths: the dealer and Homer in the store ("...we also sell frozen yogurt, which I like to call 'frogurt'"). And Krusty and Homer, two of the funniest characters, work so well together in this one, it makes it impossible to hate. A+

King Homer: Masterful parody of King Kong. It's great. I really like the fact that they went for this sort of nostalgic look, bringing you back to the '30s, by making this segment black-and-white. Burns is great in this one, being sort of evil, but funny as well ("We can't leave without the bait. I mean the bait-thing beauty. The bathing beauty. Whew, I covered that up very well."). That said, this is still the weakest of the three (it's hard to beat evil dolls and "Night of the Living Dead" parodies), but still great. A

Dial Z for Zombie: The second best of the bunch. It's scary in a funny sort of way, with any real horrific moments immediately being followed by some sort of comic relief. This is actually a lot like the real movie, in a way (the original film was creepy, but it was so campy and unbelievable that it was actually sort of funny). There are some great lines (like "You killed the zombie Flanders!"; "He was a zombie?"), and overall a well done segment. A

Like I said, not the best, but really close: A or 4/5

"Clown Without Pity" was alright. Had a few lines and was cute at best. Didn't really like the ending much. B+

"King Homer" was a pretty uninspired King Kong parody. Although it does contain my favorite Smithers line ever: "I think women and sea men don't mix" (and then of course Burns disgustedly retorts "we know what you think"). B

"Dial Z For Zombies" is one of the best THOH shorts ever. Hilarious and somewhat frightening as well. Also contains one of my favorite THOH lines ever. Bart says "You killed zombie Flanders!", to which Homer replies "He was a zombie?". Gets me every time. A+

Overall Treehouse of Horror III gets a B+

All three segments were good but there were much better THOH's to come. 3.5/5

The first really great Treehouse of Horror, but that's not to say the previous two weren't good. Dial "Z" for Zombie was fantastic. 5/5.

IIRC, this was the first episode I taped (while ago this...), and I'd watch "Dial 'Z' For Zombies" over and over and over and over again. It's truly fantastic. I really enjoy these "Springfield is being overrun by some terror that has the ability to turn others into one of them". 5/5.
flanders4ky.gif

Butters said:
I really enjoy these "Springfield is being overrun by some terror that has the ability to turn others into one of them".

Yes...all 3 of them...;)

(Not counting ones where they're just overrun...lots of those)

Back