Rate And Review: The Munchurian Candidate (Family Guy, MACX05)

How was this episode?

• 5/5

• 4/5

• 3/5

• 2/5

• 1/5

• 0/5

Results are only viewable after voting.

HomerFan1998

SuperFriend
1665927697690.png
Season 21, Episode 4
Original Airdate:
October 16th, 2022
Writer: Mike Desliets
Director: Joe Vaux
Synopsis: Lois hypnotizes Peter into satisfying her sexual proclivities. Meanwhile, Stewie renovates his treehouse in an attempt to win over Brian and Chris.

Previous R&R
Next R&R

Last edited:
Guess the joke's on me for being so much of an idiot to expect some kind of conclusion to the main plot after the point where it went to shit. But nope! They decided there was more or less no way they could save themselves from this one thus forcing the main plot to an abrupt stop while the rest of the episode's runtime is wasted on the abysmal dogshit subplot which I already gave up on after the second scene!

0/5

This was funny. The main plot was a little shallow but it was pretty funny and had some decent character stuff, I liked how Peter was. Subplot honestly I thought it was really really really funny, a lot of good gags. Shame about the last joke but hey.

They didn't promote this one much and i think that was for the best, because the surprise was a big factor for my enjoyment of this one, this is 100% gonna be one of those divisive episodes because I do agree there isn't much here besides the jokes (and some good bits of animation actually, lots of visual stuff I enjoyed here)
But yeah i found this hilarious IMO
5/5

Or it's like they didn't promote it much because they knew how much of a giant pile of shit it was... But there were some few decent "Jokes" sprinkled throughout (though I only counted one that I thought was funny) which is enough so a fucking 10/5!

I think you should try to relax @John95, the way you respond is like you're defensive and that's not fucking good mate. Like, you have the right to dislike new episodes (not just this show) but that to make fun of and patronize people is too much, at least for me. I don't know why you keep wasting your time watching these shows if at the end of the day you always seem to be predisposed to give 1 or how this episode is going to "suck" and this would be fine if it wasn't because you're also messing with the people who follow enjoying this program. Take it as advice, but you should try to calm down a bit.

Loved the Stewie story, the random Brian and Chris cattiness killed me and both stories had solid payoff. The direction on the Babs and Stewie stuff sold the comedic potential way more than they probably deserved and I just laughed quite a few times. Tonally it kinda felt like an older episode. Season is on a solid track record and this is the best one so far. 4/5.

I wonder how many people who saw it are waiting for the Adult Swim (or is it TBS now) version to see how much farther the episode can go. My gut feeling is, that episode was written to get the people who want what they think was "the old Family Guy" to start watching again. Sex jokes! Stewie threatening to kill people! See? We're cutting-edge again!

or they just wrote it cuz its what they wanted to write
the entire family guy catalogue has sex jokes, that isn't specific to the old family guy lmao

@That Don Guy Neither Adult Swim nor TBS still air FG as of last year, and even then they stopped showing new episodes after Season 15. Nowadays, it airs on FXX and Freeform. And there probably won't be any difference between what they air and what was shown on FOX.

My gut feeling is, that episode was written to get the people who want what they think was "the old Family Guy" to start watching again. Sex jokes! Stewie threatening to kill people! See? We're cutting-edge again!
Didn't even really realize that that was supposed to be OG Stewie until I was talking with someone else. Feels like a cheap way for them to try and hide how terrible the subplot was since it mostly comprises of the same (unfunny and dragged out) scene being rehashed three times with next to no variation. Didn't even watch the whole thing as I was done with it after it's second strike!

hey you can't rate an episode you haven't seen all of. look at rex reed over here

Watched through the whole main plot, but gave up on the subplot after it's second strike. And reading up on how the rest of that story played out proved I missed nothing besides them going for the bottom of the barrel with it's third strike!

> Feels like a cheap way for them to try and hide how terrible the subplot
bold of you to assume they also think it was terrible

I don't really like the recent episodes, but I'm not a fan of John95's dismissive attitude either. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean other people can't, that's just insane to me.

Anyways, this episode was just ok. Outside of a couple funny jokes, the subplot was pretty laughless and mostly consisted of repeating the same predictable joke with Brian and Chris over and over again which I didn't find funny the first time.

The main plot was pretty weird, but had some chuckles here and there. What really made the episode for me was Peter going down on Babs. The show has been so bland and predictable lately, so the fact that something surprising actually happened is an improvement over the amount of nothing that happened last week. Not only that, but the fact that what hypnotizes Peter is something this accessible makes the joke work on more than one level. That and the Weird Al reference was some of the hardest I've laughed at the show in a while. Not a good episode, but better than I was expecting at least. 6/10

Last edited:
The biggest laugh I got from this episode was Peter screaming. Not only because he realized what just happened, but because they reused the screams from "Stewie Loves Lois" after he got his prostate exam. The episode was alright until then, but that was clearly the best moment.

I wasn't really into the Stewie plot. Chris and Brian were annoying as hell and they deserved to get shot. They were seconds away from being killed, they knew Stewie was mad because they kept talking about his tree house behind his back, and they continue to do it after Stewie spares their lives. I did think it was funny that Stewie shot himself after seeing Meg naked.

@Dr. Nihilistic The subplot is mostly just the same unfunny dragged out scene played three times (Stewie tries to impress Brian & Chris and they badmouth his efforts behind his back for about a minute or so), to the point where I just gave on it completely after two strikes. The ending with him shooting himself (which feels repetitive because that means both plots just end/stop on a dark note) doesn't excuse how they still went for the bottom of the barrel and went for their third strike.

I'm not even watching the current episodes of the show (so many seasons I've yet to see), but I sometimes come accross the reviews around here, and I keep wondering, @John95, how do you "skip" a plot when you're watching an episode ? How do you decide when it's time to give up and when it's time to pick up ? (And also, what's the point of doing that ?)

Also, regarding the episode itself, like I said I haven't seen it, but I came accross the infamous ending on Twitter, and gotta admit, Lois' blood-curdling scream in context made me laugh hard. ^^ Mad props to Alex Borstein.

i'm glad ppl are giving credit to Alex Borstein, in Lois' recent episodes she's given rlly good performances, especially in Throw it Away and last night's episode

how do you "skip" a plot when you're watching an episode ? How do you decide when it's time to give up and when it's time to pick up ? (And also, what's the point of doing that ?)
Because I'm watching it on my tablet I just simply skip past the scenes of the plot that I've quit by fast forwarding ahead past the scenes involving it (which for the subplot was when Stewie tied up Brian & Chris as well as the next scene which was the subplot committing it's third strike, both of which take up most of the third act).

Doing so also saves me several minutes I would've wasted watching the exact same scene being played out for a third time with little to no variation (oh, Stewie shot himself after seeing Meg naked? Sorry, you should've done that before you struck out!) when it wasn't even funny the first two times.

Okay, let me see if I understand: you are mocking and defensive towards people who are trying to give new episodes a chance... But at the same time you don't even watch the episodes and you are constantly "skipping" the plot, what the fuck? So what's the point of seeing them and coming here to rate them a 1 if you don't even give them a chance??? What bothers me is that you do this while at the same time making fun of people who are trying to be fair to the show and calling everyone out for having "low standards" like in the season 20 review thread. :/

For me, I kinda find this episode okay. I guess Lois might've changed this time, however her character behavior wasn't too bad back in Season 20, it was a bit better than Season 19 (oh God help me), don't get me wrong. So I'll give it 3/5 this time

@Sandboy I watched the main plot all the way through and enough of the subplot for it to reach it's second strike so I don't know how the fuck that equals "You didn't even give the damn thing a chance!"

okay i loved this one, both the plots were really funny and every joke lands, this might've been the best episode i've seen in a long time, i'm genuinely surprised. 4/5

Yeah, I thought this was pretty hilarious. It wasn't exactly unpredictable; I knew "extra extra" was going to play at some inopportune time, but it ended up being funnier than I was imagining and the drive home scene was just insane. I haven't laughed that much at FG in a while.

The subplot itself wasn't bad; it was totally ridiculous, but I enjoyed Brian's and Chris' snarky comments every time and I honestly felt a little bad for Stewie; Chris and Brian suddenly knowing a lot about crossbows was pretty funny, and I think I laughed most at Stewie shooting himself after seeing Meg shirtless.

i'm glad ppl are giving credit to Alex Borstein, in Lois' recent episodes she's given rlly good performances, especially in Throw it Away and last night's episode
Throw it away is one of my favorite episodes ever, I love the surrealness of it! And like you said Alex performed awesome!

Back