Rate and Review "The Mook, The Chef, The Wife And Her Homer" (HABF15)

Go ahead! Throw your vote away! AHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

• Total voters

Mike Scully

and now i have slapped a king
After Lisa befriends Fat Tony's (Joe Mantegna, reprising his role as Springfield's infamous mob boss) son Michael, Fat Tony invites the Simpsons over for dinner as a sign of gratitude. Shockingly, Fat Tony is shot by a rival family moments after Michael admits he would rather be a chef than take over the family business. Fat Tony's main thugs, Dante and Dante Jr. (guest voices Joe Pantoliano and Michael Imperioli), want Michael to be the new kingpin, but when he declines, Homer steps up and leads the family on a major mob spree.

simpsonssopranosql9.jpg

2/5 (I'm being generous).

It was disappointing. Many jokes went on far too long, and others fell flat. A bad season premiere choice. It just felt very blah (what's new). I didn't like Fat Tony's son. His voice was really annoying and sounded like a woman (Tres?). I would've given this episode 1/5 if it wasn't for the truck truck truck joke, Otto's little drug dragon, the baking soda/TNT crash, the WWII beans/soul joke, and Lunchlady Doris' return (but I bet everyone else will complain about it). All those things might sound good, but mixed with so many characters being horribly out-of-character, I actually don't understand how someone could possibly give this a 5/5.

Last edited:
pretty average episode

could have been alot better, and the metalica appearence was so lame and felt forced, they must have a new album to promote, or a new cause to bitch about.

3/5

a lot better than last year's premeire, and i liked the ending, so nice parody of godfather movies, so

4/5

Aside from the opening, I thought it was a hilarious episode. Especially the part where Michael's noticing the Simpsons demise into mobster insanity, and each time it cuts they seem to be laughing with a better weapon in hand.

It was also a pretty good parody on the Godfather.

The third act had a couple interesting gags. I really hate to become one of those "terrible 1/5" people, but boy this episode was very unfunny. And who cares at all about that kid's wanting to become a chef...I don't even remember his name.

When you can't imagine any real person saying any of the lines in the episode, it's just bad writing.

D-

"Can I just pay you five dollars to keep out Hardees?" (especially funny since the Hardees near my house just went under!)

"You said they were meant to be brownies. Any more lies?"

^^The two best lines, IMO.

Anyway, as with most Jean episodes, nothing horribly funny (maybe the Truck Truck Truck joke), but otherwise a malase episode. It seemed to end to fast, though.

C+

I loved the druggy dragon joke and metallica. i loved the bit with homers ears and him at the mirror. the second act was a bit slow but one and three were strong. otto's voice seemed a little different. i thought it was a strong opening episode. as always great work by mantegna. oh yeah, i loved the end a la the godfather i thought the vroom, vroom joke went a bit long.

The first act had some really nice jokes, but didn't really do much for me. The second and third acts were much stronger. The plot was fresh, there were joke great jokes, and the characterizations were spot on. B

3/5 - good gags. ok plot. Awful storytelling and obvious stretched out gags.

Why do they constantly complain about the episodes being shortened by FOX, and yet stretch out gags and plot points for no other reason than to fill time?

It's so stuipd; they skip over important things like giving Homer and Bart a reason to join the mafia, or explaining why Lisa is in the final scene at all. But stretch the hell out out Otto flipping through a radio dial, or Lisa "looking" (Seriously that last beat was the worst "lets fill up time" bit I've ever seen them do)

Yet somehow I expected worse from a season 17 holdover.

Actually, know what, bringing back Doris like that was kinda fucked up. - 2/5

Last edited:
Nothing terrible nothing spectactular, basically sticking with the season 17 trends, too long jokes, bad jokes, strange character behaviour for the sake of a joke and lame unrealistic dialogue. Also I thought Otto's characterization was truly bizarre, you would think he would say:"way to go Bart dude" or something instead of spanking him.(yes it was to advance the plot but come on.)

I did enjoy to baking soda, vineger, TNT joke though.3/5

Last edited:
Lots of bad gags. There was some good stuff in there, but I was really disappointed overall. I really loved the Godfather ending though.

Full review later.

The highlights:
The dragon/high thing (went on too long. Should have stopped after "that is Metallica")
The truck joke
The better weapons joke

Overall, okay but kinda went nowhere. Joey Pants and Michael Imperioli did okay, but they were kinda over the top. Shoulda been more about Homer being a mobster IMO.

BTW, I was watching on a crappy TV and I couldn't hear well, but who voiced the fat mobster who was with Dantes gang? He sounded different, but I forgot to watch the end credits to see if he was a guest star.

2/5 D+

It had an ambitious and good story, and yet they did nothing with it. The plot never really went anywhere and it resolved itself in a "wtf" manner. Combine that with lifeless one dimensional characterizations of the Simpson family and deplorable joke writing and you have a crap episode.

I can remember laughing geniunely at two jokes. One was Homer's "lady... man, lady...man, lady!" and the ending joke with the door. Especially that door, that was like a classic era joke seeping through.. whew.

All in all though, I had fun watching it, but it still wreaked of so many flaws. Why the hell would Bart allow mobsters to beat the crap out of Krusty, his idol??!! This episode pissed all over the Simpsons, it didn't even feel like a Simpsons episode most of the time. :angry:

Christ, this is "Worst Episode Ever" Weekly.

It was a good 5/5 for me, but I'm not going to explain why or anything like I should.

All in all though, I had fun watching it, but it still wreaked of so many flaws. Why the hell would Bart allow mobsters to beat the crap out of Krusty, his idol??!!
Otto and Skinner seemed out of character too. I thought Otto was supposed to love Bart, and wouldn't Skinner just look the other way if Bartwas getting spanked? It should have been Chalmers who caught Otto.

3/5

Some good stuff, thought acts 2 and 3 were much better than 1 - the truck gag was the highlight.

Anyone else think that Auto's voice was WAYY different? It seemed much deeper for some reason.

I can remember laughing geniunely at two jokes. One was Homer's "lady... man, lady...man, lady!" and the ending joke with the door. Especially that door, that was like a classic era joke seeping through.. whew.

Yeah, those were the only two I laughed at too. The door thing was an actual surprise. The truck thing was okay, but a little predictable and too over the top for my tastes.

I found it rather...wrong for them to use Lunchlady Doris without Doris Grau's voice. As much as I like Tress, they should've just come up with a new character, like what happened in the Critic webisodes.

Pretty good. The first act was OK, but the second was pretty weak, I thought. I thought that the third act was really strong, though. Which is rare, because lately I've been somewhat underwhelmed by the ending.

Jokes I Liked
-The "Finding Nemo" Joke
-The "Truck, Truck, Truck" Joke
-Homer & Bart's laughing insanity with the weapons
-Otto's drug-induced dragon
-The Moe's Bar joke

Jokes That Fell Flat
-Most of Nelson's appearances (went on too long)
-The guest stars' conversations
-Homer's dirt bath (although I thought it was funny that the house was on fire)

I've recently complained that I found the joke-writing in Season 17 to be a disappointment. This episode was a bit stronger, I found. Definitely a step in the right direction. My favorite joke was the "Truck Truck Truck" one. Not necessarily the first two, but the last one that pulled in was just too ridiculously silly. It was a nice surprise when they took that joke one step further than I expected.

Good Godfather ending too. I liked that Michael eventually succumbed to the family tree. The apple just doesn't fall far from the tree. I wouldn't mind seeing Michael again on the playground in future episodes.

Overall... Probably a B episode. Or 4/5.

Last edited:
Fat Tony getting shot was the first time in a long time I've been genuinely shocked by the show. I liked Michael's character, and Metallica was kept to a bare minimum. Not really a great jokey show, but it had some great character stuff. I dug the Finding Nemo and Garfield jokes - especially since the Garfield one actually furthered the story a bit.
4/5

E-I-E-I-Moe said:
Christ, this is "Worst Episode Ever" Weekly.

It was a good 5/5 for me, but I'm not going to explain why or anything like I should.

I'm curious to hear why you may have liked it later, I hope you don't feel pressured because it may be an unpopular opinion. :)

I gotta watch it for myself though, ahg...2 more hours. My god there's a lot of people looking at this thread...

Once any show is in its 18th season, the plotlines are bound to become partial rehashes of past episodes, and to be good, they must rely on smart writing and good storytelling, and while very few shows even get to an 18th season, the older they get, the staler they are. However, my problem with tonight's episode was that despite their being some funny jokes here and there, there was hardly any story. Fat Tony is shot and Homer takes over might be credited as the story, but it lasted for about 5 minutes and didn't do anything interesting with it. The concept of a rival mob gang against Fat Tony's gang is actually pretty interesting, but they took so long to get to that, it wasn't interesting. That is also one of my problems here, pacing. Do we really want the majority of act one to be about Otto? Why couldn't they have done something to segue into the plot sooner? I am also getting increasingly frustrated with the whole "Homer the Replacement" plots that get thrown into episodes. Why would they all of a sudden agree to have Homer as the new boss? As for the guest stars, Metallica was completely wasted, (although I don't see why they were even in this episode), and Michael Imperoli and Joe Pantliano were not given any substance or enough lines. I did however, think that nobody was too out of character. Although some of Marge's lines were very strange. Sorry Al Jean, but you have yet to totally revive this show.

C

Jims said:
Jokes That Fell Flat
-Most of Nelson's appearances (went on too long)
Interesting you pointed this out, I loved his line "Your mother must dance in the nicest strip club in town," as well as "You're sitting in my shaddow" Mainly because it felt like something a typical bully would do

I actually laughed out loud a lot more than I thought. I'd give it a solid 3.5/5.

Back