Rate and Review: The Boondocks pilot

How would you rate the premiere?

• 5/5 Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil, and the government was lying about 9/11

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • 4/5 Keeping it real, kna'mean?

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 3/5 Good thing I'm part white

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 2/5 It's the Sars!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1/5 Boy, don't make me give you a whippin'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DotheBartman

SuperFriend
So tonight this show premieres on Adult Swim. After the show, rate and review it.

If I recall right, the episode is titled "The Trial of R. Kelly". (Edit: It's "Garden Party". The R. Kelly episode will air the following week).

Last edited:
OT, but the most-quoted line from this show reminds me of an early exchange on "All in the Family" between Archie and Henry Jefferson, who insists that Jesus was black:

Archie: In all the pictures you see of God, he's white.
Henry: Well, maybe you were looking at the negatives.

I think I read McGruder is an "All in the Family" fan and is going for something similarly controversial with this show, so I've got my hopes up.

I watched the preview on adultswim.com friday.

Didn't piss me off but it didn't leave any kind of impression.

As an early note, I was at the bookstore reading a Boondocks collection yesterday, and one of the women working there was saying how she's excited for the premiere too.

If all goes well, the ratings are going to be thru the roof tonight.

And so it begins.

The Boondocks have gotten of to an excellent start! This episode basically gives clues as to how Robert Freeman chose the life of an upper-class suburban.

The artwork was simply brilliant. This has got to be the best art currently being used in a television cartoon. It's not anime, but still...beautiful.

The Uncle Ruckus character was simply hilarious. Looks like Robert is gonna be running into this guy throughout the series.

Judging from the Garden Party, Huey and Riley are both in for an uphill battle. Especially for Huey, I'd like to know how things go once he meets his neighbors and schoolmates.

A wonderful episode all around. Can't wait fo next week's show! :D

5/5

After it was done, my dad said "That wasn't very good". It's probably the first time my dad's ever had an opinion about something I watch.

Still, I liked it. As an avid reader of the comic strip, I know what to expect of an Aaron McGruder creation, and as such, I was readily prepared for everything in this show that normally would have shocked the more wholesome audiences. Granted, there are a few areas where the show isn't perfect - the pacing, for instance, was fairly slow in this episode, but that's primarily because this episode was spent establishing the characters' personalities for those who aren't familiar with them. But the humor was accurate and funny, and I actually noticed a few lines borrowed from the comic strip (such as Granddad's discussion on gay marriage beginning with "Let me first say that all marriage is wrong..."). Even if nobody else in my family likes it, I'll be sure to keep an eye on this series.

4.5/5

For a show that's constantly being advertised as controversial and offensive, I didn't find much here all that "edgy." Saying Ronald Reagan was the devil because his names each had six letters doesn't really affect me (somewhat conservative) at all. I found a couple parts funny, but the characters got on my nerves (namely the large, boorish guy and the son that got shot in the chest). I'll give it a 3/5 for what it is, but this just doesn't seem to be my kind of show.

Even so, it's miles ahead of whatever Williams Street pukes out these days.

I was overly proud to pick out Billy West's small role immediately. I'll have to look into what John Dimaggio did though.

Anyway, I thought it was very funny, and really intriguing, though the pace seemed a bit slow and there didn't seem to be much of a concrete story. I'll be looking forward more to some of the episodes that really center around Huey, and have more of a storyline. The animation was surprisingly excellent also....I'm still really surprised Adult Swim would put out something that beautiful, considering their other original shows. 4/5

Back