Rate And Review: Summer of the 4' 2"

How was "Summer of the 4' 2"?

• Total voters

lisalover1

Also known as ametur_poet.
My favorite episode. I liked it because of the main plot. It just reminds me that childhood is awesome, and you need to live it out as much as posssible. I also liked it when Homer buys illeagal fireworks! "Show your independance to your nation by blowing up a small part of it!" I really didn't pay much attention to the jokes, mainly because I liked the storyline so much, I didn't care about anything else. I think it's awesome what Lisa did. Starting over again in a new town bust be a blast! I just might try it sometime! Anyways, this episode was a perfect way to end season 7. Why can't they end season 17 like that? In my opinion, this was so much better than 17's end! So, be sure to vote on the poll and post a review! A+

-Lisalover1

Last edited:
It's a great episode because we see lisa being the popular one for once, and see bart outlawed with only milhouse as a friend. :cool:

I think it would have been funnier if the flanders were there too instead of leaving homer to it...

Marge: Ha! you got the dud!

Homer: Ha ha ha! He looks just like you poin dexter, c'mon stand up for yourself poin dexter!

I think 'Summer of [lisa's height]' is a great episode, even if I got a problem with its plot, or maybe I didn't understand a point and someone could explain it to me.

I can't find a reason why Bart can't become friend with Erin and the other guys, together with Lisa. I mean, Lisa makes friends with the others pretending to be like Bart (hating school, hating books, speaking like Bart, using his catch-phrases, ecc), so why can't Bart be friend with them too ?
Again, when the guys are in front of the library, trying to skate, they are not so good. Then Bart arrives and makes an outstanding performance. Then, at least, the other guys should admire him, try to learn from him, accept his friendship, it would seem more natural. What I'm trying to say is that in this episode the Bart-Lisa conflict seems forced and contrived. Both Lisa and Bart could be friends with Erin and the others and Bart could cover Lisa real identity.

So, if I had to find a main criticism to this episode I would say contrived, not logical Bart/Lisa conflict, but that's all. I think it's still great. (A/A-)

But I don't understand how my grade fits in this poll. Should I vote Great or terrific ?

EDIT: finally I voted terrific.

Last edited:
Hmm. I think this is a cute episode, but to me, to make it something beyond "good," an episode needs an adequate dose of top shelf humor and observations. For me, it was too straightforward to make it a great Simpsons episode. I'll take "Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington" or "Lisa the Greek" over this, both as an episode and a Lisa episode. They had earnest Lisa and good plots, but also had gut-busting gags. Of course, I'm about the same age as the original Simpsons writers/producers, so maybe the gags in those older episodes just are funnier to me because they really hit home and make those episodes more personally appealing.

Not my favorite episode, let alone my favorite Lisa episode, but this probably is the episode that I think defines why so many people not just like her, but empathize with her. So much of Lisa's feelings and self-assessments are very believable, and most importantly relatable. To not have any friends, to leave school with an empty year book, to try and change your personality over the summer. Even if Lisa's newfound friendship could be found to be a little too easily won, the episode still rings very true because of just how well written Lisa and her situation is. As involving as it is funny, it's very hard not to want to root for her to have some sort of friends, or feel sorry for her because Bart seemingly wrecks that one opportunity. The rest of the family is well-written too, Marge's slightly out-of-it attempts to help Lisa out with making friends, and even just moments like seeing her ride in the bumper cars. Homer's subplot is a nice little diversion that's fun while it lasts, mostly enjoyable for the "American Graffiti" homage. And Bart's jealousy of Lisa's newfound friendship, as detestable as it might be, is still very believable and grounded in a sibling rivalry kind of way. The episode is great even for the little details, making the Simpson family stay at the Flanders cottage, and actually taking Milhouse along. They're little things that go a long way towards making the episode all the more memorable and interesting, and all together making for quite possibly the best season finale of the show. A+

Lizard Queen said:
This episode is really funny, but I especially like it because well, who wouldn't want to escape their life - even only briefly, and be someone else.
I COULDN'T AGREE MORE! You know, it's really funny: The day I saw this episode, I got my yearbook back, and nobody signed it!

I was watching this recently, and I kept laughing during Milhouse's scenes. Him in the carseat, Homer laughing at him during the board game, and getting spit on.

I loved this, because it was one of the few times Lisa gets to fully go outside of her usual uptight demeanor and just totally be a kid.

Her intelligence and awkwardness in fitting in is the staple of the character, but its just so nice once in a while to get away from that. It was a very well balanced episode I enjoy watching. It was a perfect season ender too.

What a fantastic episode!

To some degree I feel this episode is a little over-rated. But growing up as an 8-11 year old kid struggling to make friends - I relate with her so much. This is one relates to so many people as Channel Surfer said and the little things that make it all the more believable, really shows an animation show like the Simpsons can make you feel emotion and sympathise for characters.

This episode is very real and shows a different perspective of Bart and Lisa alike. I also related to Bart as an 8-11 year-old, thus having a twin brother who was very popular and as the shy timid boy I was, I got very jealous. The characters motives are so real that I can even relate them to my own personal experiences. That just shows how good the quality of the writing is on the show and the writers are even more amazing to also mix in some awesome humour. Top stuff.

Probably the most true-to-life and effective Lisa episode, and there is plenty of great humor, but Homer is too much of a jerk to me. I find the "hey he looks just like you poindexter!" exchange very off-putting.

A

Teriffic i voted, it is a great episode then again all "Simpson Kids" based episode are...Bart was very selfish to Lisa but she bounced back, I always watch this episode during the summer...SWEET MERCIFUL CRAP MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!

Defiantly at the top of my list of my favourite episodes, one of the great Lisa based episodes as it pretty much was based on her. I love how Lisa struggles to impress her new friends something that i can relate to, Bart's jealousy towards Lisa and then him exposing her was truly selfish and one of the few times i actually hated Bart, and poor Millhouse getting pushed around by Homer.

Great Stuff. I think this was Lisa's second best episode ever (with only "Lisa's Substitute" being better). Family up to their usual hijinks, with the holiday location working a treat. Milhouse almost steals the show! Ultimate or 5/5.

Summer of the 4'2", as a character study, is simply one of the best episodes ever. However, on a personal enjoyment factor, it ranks around the middle range for me, partially because there were quite a few awkward moments in the episode. The other kids, even the one voiced by Christina Ricci, seemed like stereotypical slacker teens to me. However, the gags, although few in number, always worked and were memorable, such as when Homer blew up the dishwasher with an explosive. The ending was also nice, as was Homer's expletive at the end: "Sweet Merciful Crap! My car!" On a personal enjoyment factor, I would give this a B. As a character study, it gets an A. Not only was the character study on Lisa very well done, but the rest of the cast supported her well. All up, this would result in a B+. Harsh? Maybe.

Back