Rate and Review: Saddlesore Galactica (BABF09)

Rate: Saddlesore Galactica

• (5/5) You stink...damn good!

Votes: 25 8.6%
  • (4/5) We'll give you gold!

Votes: 30 10.3%
  • (3/5) I stand by my disappointed groan!

Votes: 43 14.7%
  • (2/5) The elves! The elves!

Votes: 79 27.1%
  • (1/5) Worst Episode Ever!

Votes: 115 39.4%

• Total voters
Like he said, the subplot shouldn't be taken seriously. Besides, Bill Clinton's end appearance was the ultimate pay-off. :)

I really enjoy this episode. It has a decent, wacky plot that's not to be taken too seriously. I thought that for what it was, it was handled well and I like the way that the jockey elves were incorporated into the story. It didn't seem that random to me. It was strange, but like I said, I don't take this episode too seriously, I just enjoy watching it. I also thought that the humor in this episode was great, like the scenes with CBG and the Pearl-Os. My only complaint is the subplot. I thought Lisa's conflict was unconvincing and I found her overreacting annoying at times, like when she called that other kid a cheater. Still, this is a good episode (IMO) that I find underrated. I would take it over some of the more popular, earlier episodes. 4/5

So you didn't like the Lisa plot? Interesting...

I've been rewatching season 10-12 episodes recently, since I haven't seen some of them since they originally aired. I remember hating this one a lot, so I gave it another try to see if I still felt that way.

...and I do. What a disaster. The episode actually starts out okay, and I even like the Sousa jokes (you mean something arranged by Sousa?), and I've always liked the joke about Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO, they were Canada's answer to ELP, with their hit TCB...that's how we talked in the '70s, we didn't have a moment to spare). So we get a semi-promising beginning that seems to revolve around Lisa.

And then the episode takes a turn for the worse. Out of nowhere, the family comes upon Duncan the horse, and they take him in so he doesn't have to become dog food. Naturally they train him to become a race horse, and then he becomes a bad-ass race horse, and then Homer gets into trouble with the jockey elves, but then Marge and Lisa squirt the jockey elves with water, and then they tie them all up in a garbage bag, and then Bill Clinton shows up to give Lisa the award she rightfully deserved.

Did that make sense? Because that is exactly what happened during the 2nd half of the episode. It is a complete mess that fails on every level. The episode stops being funny, it includes the all-time lowlight for the show, when the jockey elves show up and starting singing (???!!!), and then the conflict is resolved with one of the laziest endings in the history of lazy writing.

I'm going to make a (not so) bold statement; this episode would have been better had it simply been a Lisa episode that focused on the Springfield band trying to get back at the Ogdenville band for cheating, which is what it looked like this episode was going to be about in the first act. That could have been a decent episode. Instead, for some unknown reason, Scully and the guys decide the completely shift the focus of the episode to Homer, Bart and the horse.

The A story is resolved with squirt guns; the B story is resolved with Bill Clinton; you can't tell me the writers worked overtime on this episode. All the show runners prior to Scully put in a ton of time, and it showed. It looks like Scully and his writers were last ones in, first ones out type. There is such little effort that seems to have been put forth. If they worked really hard on this episode, then they need to find another profession because this was awful.

Final thought; this episode belonged on a Saturday morning cartoon more than it did the Simpsons. Groening, Brooks and Simon did not develop this show to be a Saturday morning cartoon; they wanted to make a realistic show that happened to be animated. There wasn't a damn thing realistic about this episode. I've seen Treehouse of Horror episodes that were more grounded in reality than this piece of shit. It remains one of the worst episodes in the show's history.

0/5

tonight, on the simpsons, homer and bart get a horse (didn't they already have a horse?) and make him a racehorse. they win a lot of races, until the other jockeys threaten homer. what could they do? they're just jockeys, no? WRONG. Their Magical Elves who will eat Homer's brain if they win the next race.

Seriously? Elves? Am I watching The Simpsons or am I watching some stupid Saturday morning cartoon? Why... why the hell were they elves? I was watching this with my friend yesterday, and he had never seen this before. I was really anticipating his reaction to this episode, especially the elves, and he was stupified. he could not believe what we were watching. Neither could I. I can't believe I gave this a 4/5 originally. Sure, it has some mildly entertaining jokes throughout (Little Late For Lenny, "Hope you enjoy your plaque, cheater!" "Well i was going to give you the good sportmanship award but now I'm just going to be sick", "I stand by my disappointed groan"), hell, even the elves had some mildly funny lines (We'll give you gold!). But I still can't fathom what led the writers to do something like this. Were they stuck on ending the episode? I don't believe Groening likes this (on the commentary for the episode). I don't. If I was the creator of a show and saw an episode like this there is no way I would condone it. Seriously, the elves. Ruined what could have been a somewhat decent episode. I don't feel like I'm watching Simpsons at all. This... is just childish of them. Elves? Was this episode geared for kids 12 and under? I knew about the elves before seeing the episode, by reading reviews, but I was still unprepared. I can't imagine what people thought of this the night it premiered. 1/5, i might have given it a 0/5 (if that was a choice) but like i said, there were a few mildly funny lines. Too bad about the elves. I don't like that kind of stuff in the Simpsons. Maybe if it WAS a dream or something, but this is canon. The elves could come back in another episode if the writers were desperate enough. Scary stuff...

My only complaint is the subplot. I thought Lisa's conflict was unconvincing and I found her overreacting annoying at times, like when she called that other kid a cheater. Still, this is a good episode (IMO) that I find underrated. I would take it over some of the more popular, earlier episodes. 4/5

I am starting to think that you just don't like lisa.

As fot the episode It's stupid but a hell of alot better then season 18+

I am starting to think that you just don't like lisa.

No, I don't. She's my least favorite character. Her character has pissed me off in many instances throughout the show. Her preachyness about what she believes in and her freakouts when she doesn't get what she wants (As all the time in school) are also annoying. I also don't like it when she is so overjoyed that she has a spasm and makes a fool of herself.

Pinfore I'll bring you up to speed Lisa episodes=shit episode from D'ohmer. A Lisa subplot=shit plot from Lisa. Most of the time in the eyes of D'ohmer the only thing wrong with most new episode is a line or two from Lisa.

Pinfore I'll bring you up to speed Lisa episodes=shit episode from D'ohmer. A Lisa subplot=shit plot from Lisa. Most of the time in the eyes of D'ohmer the only thing wrong with most new episode is a line or two from Lisa.

Don't you think that's a little bit of an exaggeration? ;)

i thought this season is one of the last reasonably good ones before the show went downhill.
when i first saw this episode i thought it was terrible but i have come around, there are good jokes in the first two act eg. the commentator for the races comic book guy pointing out past episode similarities. the plot turn to the elves was one of the poorest things ive seen broadcast by the network. although the joke from the first 15 minutes of the episode make it fairly watchable. episodes from about the 18th season onwards have been so poor as to make this look a quality episode.

I watched this one again recently so it's fresh in my mind.

First let me say that the opening act is pretty entertaining and well thought out, for an episode that is deemed the "worst" by a lot of people. There are various jokes, gags and references that I feel don't get enough credit, and are reminisent of the classic era; stuff you'd rarely see in the show today. When Duncan was being raised to his high diving board, did they stop and point out that it was a take-off of Phish's Hosit album cover? Despite the decline, this was still when the show gave you these subtle gags and references that took multiple viewings to catch.

I love the omni-goggles; such a Springfield-type marketing ploy. I'll be pasting my quotes from SNPP btw.

OmniGog Man: Folks, how often have you opened the morning paper
only to have the rubber band fly off and hit you
right in the eye?
Marge: Never. But it's my number one concern.
OmniGog Man: Well, with the OmniGog system, those worries are a
thing of the past.
[puts on the goggles and rolls the rubber band off
the newspaper he's holding. The rubber band smacks
him on the head hard enough to throw him back
several feet. The crowd gasps, but he's quickly
back on his feet]
I'm all right, folks -- thanks to my OmniGogs!
[the crowd cheers, and the camera focuses on Lenny,
who wears a bandage on his right eye]
Lenny: [ruefully] A little late for Lenny.

Homer acts a little odd here. I haven't watched these Scully episodes in ages, and was recently questioning what people referred to as "Jerkass Homer". I could see it in this show, but thought it was pretty was minimal, especially when I compared it to Alone Again Natura-Diddily (an episode I watched directly after). His little fight with Bachman Turner Overdrive stood out, and there was some other small things, but I thought Homer acted okay here. Does he act the worst in Alone Again? Maybe I'm not comparing it fairly.

Here's another good thing about this episode: the music. The school band's version of Coming To America is amazing, and I think somebody on the staff knew that, since they reused that theme in The Simpsons Hit and Run. I've always remembered that song since playing the game back in 2003, yet the version on the show is much better.

So let's move onto act two. Man, when was the last time Homer had a fantasy like this? Okay, honestly, I don't really know since I rarely watch the show anymore, but... I'm going to assume it's been a while.

52.jpg

It wasn't the best sequence, but it was cute. Sort of reminds me of "Flushing Meadows", with a world of pearls instead of toilets.

Anyway, there's a really funny/cute bit where Marge imagines what it would be like if Lynda Carter and George Foreman had a child, and starts then rolling around the floor laughing like Jerkass Homer. I know it's stupid, but I can't help but laugh.

Speaking of similarities, there are two jokes in this episode that are pretty much the same. I kind of like them both, but it was odd that they didn't remove one of them. How many drafts did this script go through? Here are the jokes for comparison:

Wiggum: All right, show's over, folks. I'm afraid this horse is
going to the dog food factory.
Homer: Good luck getting a horse to eat dog food!

Homer: That horse better win, or we're taking a trip to the glue
factory -- and he won't get to come.

Here's another highlight of the episode - the race announcer. I love his voice too. There's also a cute moment where Marge is at the betting window, and after thinking it over asks if she can bet that all the horses will have a fun time.

Anwhooo... I think we're at act 3 or something now, aren't we? God, this one is so surreal. Homer ending up in the Munchkin land or whatever it is honestly doesn't bother me. Well... I'm aware it's really retarded and everything, but I really can't comprehend what's happening. Just look at this image!

235px-Saddlesore_Galactica.png

It's like a treehouse of horror segment, or fan art or something. Oh, speaking of which, I really like Homer's design in these Scully episodes, and how his muzzle nearly reaches the other side of his face. It... suits this era somehow, but I don't know why. It's... wacky? And off model?

Anyway, yeah, it's a really odd episode that gets a lot of hate, which I find kind of funny. I don't know why this episode is appealing. I prefer it to a lot of episodes in the Scully era just for the insanity factor. Maybe that's why I like The Computer Who Wore Mennace Shoes as well. Still, I'm only giving it a C, since I prefer to grade these based on every episode in the series. For comparison, the recent episodes get like... an F-.

END OF REVIEW.

Not the Worst of Season 11, but Still Bad

Ooh boy, 'Saddlesore Galactica'. This is a contraversial one. Get's a lot of hate on here. It is bad. Yet to be honest, I think there are worse episodes of Season 11. At least with 'Saddlesore Galactica', I was able to get some enjoyment out of it, and I could sort of buy the plot. Until, you know, the jockey elves came along.

This episode wasn't that funny. Despite that, there were a few funny moments. I laughed at Homer's reaction to Duncan being taken to the dog food factory. Though I think they sort of killed it later in the episode, when they did a similar-ish joke, but involving a glue factory. Yes, we get it. Homer doesn't understand what happens to old horses in the said factories. Although it was kind of cheap, I didn't mind the gag involving Moe's heart. Also, I laughed at Homer's line about the 'murderous trolls'.

As for the plot, it was okay.... up until you know when. The premise seemed a bit strange, as Lisa is the one who loves horses and Bart gets the horse, but I guess using the plot of giving her a horse/pony a second time would be a too obvious of recycling (not that they weren't already doing it). In terms of the plot originality, that leads me on to the Comic Book Guy moment. One joke I really don't like is the use of Comic Book Guy as a Simpsons fan, so the writers can use the character to say to him 'No, we don't care that we are repeating plots, who cares what you think?'. Basically the scene with Comic Book Guy was a confirmation that they really didn't care what the fans thought anymore. Lisa's subplot wasn't too bad, but she was a bit annoying and pushy, and I didn't really like the conclusion of it.

Now, on to the end of the episode. Homer sliding down the tube into the land of the jockey elves is like a metaphor of the quality of the episode suddenly taking a slide. I can't really say anything much about the jockey elves that hasn't been said before. Jockey elves. Really? Even the song they sing is kind of dull and lifeless. At least it's one of the shorter songs. The only good thing to come out of the jockey elves plot point, was the 'murderous trolls' line. That's that.

Overall, I don't think this episode is as bad as some make it out to be. Don't get me wrong, it's bad, but it is kind of acceptable, up until the jockey elves, and there are worse episodes of Season 11: 'Kill the Aligator and Run' and 'Bart to the Future', to name a few.

2/5 or 4.5/10

Last edited:
I'll just copy and paste what I wrote in the "Last episode you watched thread" (lazy, I know):

What an embarrassing episode. It wasn't even that great before the infamous elves - there were a few funny moments - "state unfair", the glue factory thing, CBG's second intervention (the first one was too obvious and "GOD FANS SURE ARE STUPID AREN'T THEY" for my liking), but these were pretty much negated by the terrible gags such as Moe's heart beating. Not to mention the plot itself was hollow and completely boring. Main plot: Homer and Bart make a horse "badass". Subplot: Lisa complains to the President. And this is worsened even further by those goddam elves. My dad even came in to the room at this point and I genuinely felt embarrassed watching it, this show that was once so great and now has been reduced to childish conclusions and jokes. Not to mention it was completely ridiculous in a bad way. The plot without the elves gets a C-, and the elves section gets a D- (not an F purely because of the "murderous trolls" line), which evens out to D/D+. Cringeworthy.

D

Last edited:
well, the first 2 acts were funny although still incredibly stupid, but the episode doesn't get horrible till the 3rd act so, I'd say this episode is still better than seasons 17-21

Ok, the part with the jockey elves is bad, but I like the beginning of this episode. D (without the beginning : F)

i'm sure that SG has "various jokes, gags and references", and good music, and good voice acting that you can enjoy, but i'm also sure that every episode from seasons 1-16 fits that description, and 95% of those episodes have a more coherent and clever plot than this one does. giving this episode anything above a D just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I have to say...I like this episode. Really like it, in fact. First of all, it's very funny. For example, I know that the jockeys being revealed as elves is widely hated, but I found it hilarious, and all the references to previous episodes by Comic Book Guy that only hardcore fans would get. There were also some extremely quotable lines, such as "I'd rather let a thousand guilty men go free than chase after 'em" and "Hey, I'm a pretty lousy president." I also loved the character of Duncan/Furious D. I usually don't care for giving animals overly human characteristics, but in this episode, he was human enough to be cute and funny, but still animal enough to be believable at times. Finally, I was very satisfied with the ending. The episodes like Lisa the Iconoclast, Separate Vocations, and Lisa on Ice have endings that leave a sour taste in my mouth, but this episode had a great conclusion. Homer didn't cave into pressure and purposely lose the race, and even Clinton showed up and awarded Lisa her rightful award. The only complaint I have about the episode is that there are some places where Homer is a jerk, such as when watching the concert, but other than that minor quibble, it's a very strong episode that's among my favorites of season 11.

4.5/5

Last edited:
You can't seriously give this fucking episode a 9/10 and then give one of the greatest Simpsons episodes ever created - Last Exit to Springfield - a D! I mean there is no way mate. I mean no, it's not possible.

You can't seriously give this fucking episode a 9/10 and then give one of the greatest Simpsons episodes ever created - Last Exit to Springfield - a D! I mean there is no way mate. I mean no, it's not possible.
Try getting it through your thick skull that not everybody has the same opinions as you. Please?

I mean, at least he explained his opinion, which is more than you did in this review section.

this episode is wacky as hell, but damn it it's still a fun episode.

everytime i see the elves, i think I'm watching some Saturday Morning kids' show, but I honestly think even they have funny lines, such as "We'll give you gold!"

i definitely wouldn't call this a classic episode but it is fun imo.

Listen I'm not saying he can't have his opinion but I have the right to tell him what I think of his opinion, especially when it's completely wrong.

Back