Rate and Review: Saddlesore Galactica (BABF09)

Rate: Saddlesore Galactica

• (5/5) You stink...damn good!

Votes: 25 8.6%
  • (4/5) We'll give you gold!

Votes: 30 10.3%
  • (3/5) I stand by my disappointed groan!

Votes: 43 14.7%
  • (2/5) The elves! The elves!

Votes: 79 27.1%
  • (1/5) Worst Episode Ever!

Votes: 115 39.4%

• Total voters
I can handle the mansion family, another simpsons clipshow, i can even handle kill the alligator and run, but this is my least favorite episode of all time! It starts out good but takes a terrible turn for the worst! Comic Book Guy was the only funny part and he was 100% right! Worst. Episode. Ever.

Bad episode. It has some funny stuff, like the track announcer and Homer's line about the glue factory. The jockey elves were really stupid, but I don't hate them as much as other people seem to. I hate Lisa's plot much more.

2/5

The elves totally ruined the episode (which wasn't so good until that point eather)--3/5

If it was at least good until the Jockeys appeared I could think about passing it, but the former scenes were boring and almost empty; Lisa's subplot was particularly tedious. Therefore, it deserved the fail even before the stupid elves idea was shown. 4/10 because there are some worse episodes, not too many.

Its bad. Pretty awful. The whole premise of the show is bad. I cant think of one good moment in it.

I give it a 2/5

Edit: Well there are some funny moments. But not enough to save the show

Last edited:
I know I am basically alone, but i loved this episode. Maybe it was because I heard about the jockey elves online, and i knew what was coming the first time I saw this episode, but I laughed a lot. 4/5

I did put this as a 1/5 on the poll but then I thought, 2/5 directly afterwards. I'll tell you why now.

The story was really nice and had real emotion up until the end of the second act with the under-ground elf jockeys. And how Homer ignores the brain eating warning and just disposes of them in a trash bag was incredibly stupid. And rushed. And the ending was too stupid to understand. However. It was almost half good. So dispite its flaws, 2/5 or maybe 1.5/5. I guess this show needs Matt Groening.

Here's my segment "Good Quotes from Terrible Shows":

Homer: That horse better win. Or we'll be taking a trip to the glue factory. And he won't get to come.

Lenny: Yeah, that's a great tour, but you can't see it all in one day.

Carl Hey, be quiet.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Announcer: What a stunning display! A horse is abusing a jockey. Might this be the start of a terrifying planet of the horses? In this announcer's opinion almost certainly yes. And away I go! (Leaves)

Homer: Go, son! Do it for the normals!

(He crosses the finish line in first place)

Homer (Drunk with a trophy): I can't stress enough how easy it was, to win this prestigious race, and furthermore- (The jockeys light a cannonball near Homer)
Homer (Non-drunk and Fast) Hollywood is leading our kids down a moral sewer. Gotta go! (He and Bart ride off on Duncan)

___________________________________________________________________________________

(After Duncan dives into the water forcingly by a pole)

Man: Another incredible preformance by this water-loving wonder horse! (Duncan struggles to get out of the water) What's that, Duncan? You say you want to dive again? Well-

(He hits a switch, forcing him back up)

Wgium: Now, this is clearly a case of animal cruelty. Uh, do you have a permit for that?

Man: No problem, sir. It's in my car. (Runs backwards, gets in, drives away)

Lou: You've gotta stop being so trusting, Chief.

Wiggium: I'd rather let a thousand guilty men go free than chase them. Shows over, folks. I'm afraid this horse is going to the dog food factory.

Homer: Good luck getting a horse to eat dog food.

Announcer: In my days I've never seen any horse give such heart. What a shame, the race is already over.

Last edited:
Sorry, I really don't think this is horrible. Just an average Scully era episode. 3/5

Except for the whole "elves" thing, this was a fairly enjoyable episode

favourite moments:

- the glue factory, dog food factory joke
- "we'll give you gold"
- the announcer at the racetrack
- Homer's deep-fried shirt

B

This episode's a horrible piece of shit. The writers thought it would be funny to have something completely off the wall and crazy, but it really just makes them all look like semi-retarded 5th graders. 0/5

As an episode in and of itself, removing any connection to the rest of "The Simpsons" universe, it is truly a thoroughly riotous episode. Cracks me up every time. It's quite the onslaught of absurdity. There are at least a hundred other episodes I own that I watch less frequently.

-"I'll deal with those murderous trolls."

-"We'll give you gold!"

-"That's my third monocle this week. I simply must stop being so horrified."

-Homer's "pearl" dream followed by watching him giggle on the ground. I love whenever they reveal what he's doing during his frequent fantasies.

-"We're taking a trip to the glue factory...and he won't get to come!"

-At the band competition when humor cluelessly gives two identical thumbs up to Lisa while she's panicking.

-The horse race announcer. "Might this be the start of a terrifying planet of the horses? In this announcer's opinion, almost certainly yes! And away I go!"

-Lou: "You've gotta stop being so trusting, Chief."
Chief Wiggum: "I'd rather let a thousand guilty men go free than chase after them."

And I chuckle whenever I think about what real-life Jockeys must have thought when they first saw that episode.

I didn't like it even before the elves showed up.
That's the reason I don't revisit this episode that often, because it really doesn't deliver anything to me, not storywise, not humorwise.

There was some quite humourous moments in this, despite the oddball handling of the story.

It's just below the intelligence level of the majority of season 11's episodes.

But it is way better than the likes of KTAAR, Mad Mad Marge and Bart to the Future.

2.5/5 rounded to 3 for the poll.

Nah, it's worse than KTAAR and Mad Mad Marge, but it is as atrocious as To The Future and Naturadiddly.

I'm mostly indifferent to the jockey elves, so that I'll get that out of the way right now. Utterly bizarre for sure, but it doesn't really bother me more than any other wacky unfolding in season 11, of which there are many. I'm much more angered by, for instance, an obnoxious Homer pursuing an aimless adventure with his jerky antics than I am some surreal Willy Wonka-esque fantasy plot twist.

So the real question is how the rest of the episode fares. CBG used solely as a mouthpiece to make fun of fans foreshadows his heavy overuse as times goes on. Bart getting a horse? Well it's a story that really depends on how it's done. Lisa's Pony of course is the obvious success. Saddlesore Galactica is mediocre at best in this regard.

On the plus side I always get a few laughs here and there, which is more than I can say for some others. I always cite Homer's thumbs up to Lisa, which never ceases to raise a smile from me. Homer with the pearls is a perfectly acceptable dream sequence if you can ignore its immediate aftermath. The dialogue? Well I suppose there are moments (I'd laugh at the glue factory bit or the inexplicable repetition about the murderous trolls if they came today, I guess).

I can't say this is anything close to good, but I can say there are a number of episodes from season 11 alone that I definitively dislike more.

Beyond Blunderdome
Take My Wife, Sleaze
The Mansion Family
Bart to the Future
Kill the Alligator and Run

And those are just the no-brainer ones for me. I'd label Saddlesore Galactica as an example that fits comfortably in the middle of a bad season, not a worst episode ever candidate. 2/5 (D+)

Last edited:
Beyond Blunderdome
Take My Wife, Sleaze
The Mansion Family
Bart to the Future
Kill the Alligator and Run

^
These episodes combined with "Alone Again Naturadiddly" and "Saddlesore Galactica" makes season 11 the most unbearable one.
I'm quite sad a beautiful episode like "Last Tap Dance in Springfield" is a part of this atrocious season.

Believe it or not I had never watched it completely before. I have always watched the third act on tv and not much more, so I looked for it online and I watched it.

Well, the start is boring and the ending is stupid. If it wasn't for the elves it may get a C. I actually have to say that I like the elves song as an isolated scene. Had it been an imaginary sequence or a THOH segment I would have liked it.

The problem here is not only the surrealism, it's also that it's pretty stupid and pointless. It creates a conflict out of nowhere when the episode was about the family taking care of the horse. The climax is completely wacky for the sake of it, even if the jockeys weren't elves, what's the point of ending it all with Bart and Homer being persecuted? And finally Bill Clinton's cameo came out of nowhere too. 2/5.

It really is one of the worst shows, there are probably some of them that are even worse, but not too many.

And now, and interesting reflection. I noticed that, when it comes to flaws, Jean and Scully era are not that different. In fact, apart from the elves which is something Jean won't probably include, the rest had most of the flaws that are criticized today:

-Labored and long introductory act
-Homer doing the loud whispering thing
-One or several montages
-Short and pointless subplot that is awkwardly resolved at the very end of the episode

Terrible episode and only more so by the fact that I recently watched this episode with my cousin and her partner who is a jockey himself. It was hard for me to contain my laughter watching as his face got redder and redder ... and he is almost always a fun, laidback individual with nothing that can really phase him.

2/5

I'm gunna start by saying that I'm a season 11 apologist. It isn't a classic season but it's better than everything 16+.

This episode, however, genuinely angered and bemused me. I rewatched it recently after I listed it as one of my least favourite episodes despite not viewing it in ages. So I began to watch the episode with my ill little sister (she likes new episodes).

It started okay. In fact I was enjoying it and laughing a lot more than I thought I would. Maybe I was being too hard on the episode previously? We got to the third act and I realised why I hated it so much... Moe's heart and the jockey elves just reduced me to a blank stare at the TV screen.

The episode ended (on a rather good two jokes: the Bill Clinton one and the 'Worst. Episode. Ever' thing. The latter of which is true which made me laugh even more). My sister turned to me and said 'That sucked. Can we watch Futurama?'. That to me summed this episode up. The third act (except for a few okay jokes) is just Tim Long (and the other contributors) shitting all over my favourite show. I hope Matt Groening got properly angry after the commentary was over and he didn't have to pretend to like it. If he did like it then fuck him.

It started off so promising but then just imploded. But this episode isn't a complete lost cause. The Comic Book Guy meta stuff was pretty funny and there were a few other gags which I quite liked such as the Bill Clinton line at the end. If this episode has ended sanely it would have only have been average for season 11 though (but that's better than being the worst episode in the history of the show).

This is the episode they should show to all new writers they employ and just say 'Don't do that!'. The fact that this episode hasn't been made illegal is a tragedy. 1/5 (the only episode that I would give this low a score to... even KTAAR gets a 2/5).

(Why Does everyone hate IAMMMMM I thought It was the seasons best)

Anyway this episode is very bad first off like CBG said it was the same as Lisa's Pony only about 80x worst (And I'm not really a fan of Lisa's Pony) It started fine not good not bad just fine when CBG entered It was very funny but then it got bad. The Jokey Elves were just annoying and stupid I can tell this is a bad episode because I only watched it about 1 week ago and I can't even remember the ending must of been really forgettable

The fact is here, that this is a HORRIBLE episode. For me, it was OK, possibly even above average, until the jockey elves. THEY KILLED IT. What made it even worse was the shitty, rushed ending that no one has mentioned. I can't believe that the writers had the balls to add that horrible, finish-it-quick-even-if-no-one-likes-it ending with Marge just spraying the elves with a hose. The chase as it is is ridiculous. Even Clinton's pretty hilarious line, and the other gags (Moe's heart being an exeption) weren't enough to save the episodes. They all went to wase.

So, I rate it MINUS A MILLION OUT OF FIVE, or Z-----------

Not that bad. The elves didn't bother me that much, and I liked the jokes. I also liked that Bart wouldn't make the horse lose on purpose. 3/5.

While this was far from the best of Season 11, it's not as bad as everyone says it is. I mean, the show today is doing far worse than some dumb jockey elves. And normally, when the Simpsons' writers let us know they're listening, in this case thru Comic Book Guy, it feels more like a friendly nod than a direct insult on our intelligence.

One particular line made me laugh so hard the last time I saw this:

Homer: "Don't worry, son. I'll deal with those murderous trolls!"

Bart: "What?"

Homer: "Uh, I mean uh, I'll deal with those murderous trolls!"

And let's not forget the Pearl-O's... ;)

3.0/5

I really enjoy this episode. It has a decent, wacky plot that's not to be taken too seriously. I thought that for what it was, it was handled well and I like the way that the jockey elves were incorporated into the story. It didn't seem that random to me. It was strange, but like I said, I don't take this episode too seriously, I just enjoy watching it. I also thought that the humor in this episode was great, like the scenes with CBG and the Pearl-Os. My only complaint is the subplot. I thought Lisa's conflict was unconvincing and I found her overreacting annoying at times, like when she called that other kid a cheater. Still, this is a good episode (IMO) that I find underrated. I would take it over some of the more popular, earlier episodes. 4/5

I know, I just didn't find it enjoyable. I actually thought it was sort of funny how random it was, but I couldn't get past her overreacting.

Back