Rate and Review: "Replaceable You" (NABF21)

• Thread starter Zombies Rise from the Sea
  • Start date

How do you rate "Replaceable You" (NABF21)?

• Total voters
Z

Zombies Rise from the Sea

November 6th, 2011: Replaceable You (NABF21)
Lisa's science fair project is overshadowed by Bart's mechanical baby seal; Homer's new assistant ends up stealing his job.

Did...they just say Martin's gay?
Also Milhouse has been pretty funny...as usual lately.
Itcy and Scratchy was pretty awful.
Great reference to the classic Simpsons. Is this Uter?

"My cheques have gotten smaller, not in physical size"
I lol'd

"Am I early?"

"Turn that thing off."
"I MEANT THE TV!"

Also thanks Global, you reminded me Remembrance Day is close by...
This was a lot better then last weekends, like 15x better.
3/5 but what the hell is up with The Simpsons writers and having dancing as a closer?

Hmmm... that wasn't too bad. I liked the seal plot better than the main plot. The episode provided a decent amount of laughs, while managing to be fairly straightforward. Nothing special, but not bad. 3/5.

I liked the Science Fair jokes, but the rest was just mish-mash of disjointed jokes.

And the Jane Lynch character's "Being a Man" joke was on the animated Mad TV show:

Overall, a 2.5/5 and it's depressing this two minute short is funnier than "Replaceable You."

i mostly had this on just to have it on and wasn't paying close attention to all of it, but here are some of the parts i laughed at:

-Chief Wiggum calling 911 and complaining that the number is always busy

-Milhouse having the picture of of Bart sleeping as his shirt

-"Who told you?"
"I won't say his name, but his initials are S.F."
"Stupid Flanders!"

-"Marge, get my club. The big one!"
"They're all pretty big" (As well as her in the shower saying "Don't pick that scab!" at the start of the episode)

neither plot was anything too special, but at least i got some laughs out of it. 3/5 or so seems right. not terrible but like pretty much every episode nowadays, average at best.

1/5

Terrible episode. Jane Lynch was miscast and the rivalry between her and Homer is lifeless. The subplot involving the science fair and the seals was lousy. We had a bunch of stupid cutaway gags especially with Marge grooming and Homer testing Bart's machine. Ms. Glick being killed was the laziest gag.

This felt really weird and I think it is because they clearly didn't know what story should've been the main one. As a result we got several short scene jumps making the first two acts in particular seem rushed and disorienting. I think the Homer plot should've been given more attention, at least if it was supposed to be the main plot. As it is it seemed like they actually worked harder on the baby seal plot. Both stories were alright, but why would the old folks be so quick to welcome back the toys...after they MURDERED someone? I find it strange that they shortened the main theme yet kept that really long couch gag from "Homer Scissorhands." That extra time could have been spent on the actual episode. Homer's head being stuck and the dance endings were both kinda weak too.

Still, I did enjoy several jokes like Nelson's appearance, the Uter science fair project, Homer's seal club and Marge's two shower cuts(she was hardly in the episode otherwise), and Snake giving Wiggum the look to be let free, probably my favorite gag of the night. I'll say at least initially a 3/5.

PS: Itchy's voice was really off, was Dan C. even available because that didn't sound like him. Too bad too because I actually liked the Frankenstein parody otherwise.

PPS: Minor nitpicks but that Harold guy first appeared in Season 20's "Wedding for Disaster" with a different voice. Also, here Agnes claims she only carried Seymour for four and a half months. Doesn't an earlier episode claim she kept him in longer than 9? You know, kinda a momma's boy joke?

Last edited:
wow I can't believe the writers had the audactity to rip off mad, the first tv show in history to ever call an ambitious, aggressive lesbian woman masculine

This could have been good, but its flaws made it average at best.

I liked the idea of Homer having an assistant trying to take over his job and admittedly, I was somewhat excited about the concept. However, I felt they spent way too much time on the stupid plot involving the baby seal. Actually, the seal plot was okay until this weird "council" took over and made the seals start to kill anybody. (BTW, do you think they REALLY killed off Mrs. Glick?)

As for the Roz plot, I felt they should have just made this a one-plot episode. The seal story made it the execution feel too ADD and Roz's backstory of not liking to be touched... what the fuck was THAT? If the story was that she was a terrorist or something like that, it would have been better.

However, there were a few pros. The Itchy and Scratchy cartoon in the beginning was pretty funny and felt like the old days. There were also a few good jokes, like the 911 one. These isolated gags are what made this episode tolerable.

Nothing much else to say. C+ is my grade.

Last edited:
Considering that last scene of her with Jesus I'd say she's gone for good. I'm surprised they didn't have Maude there too. That said I totally expect her to appear in a crowd shot by mistake eventually.

like i said in my review, i wasn't fully paying attention, and when i heard they say ms. glick died i was like "wait, they just killed someone? what the hell?"

and like raspberry said, judging from the ending, i think they really killed her for good. no idea why they randomly killed her off. not like she was that important of a character though, but it was still a random death

I'm definitely in the "this was a weird episode" to score camp. (I settled on 3/5.) A lot of jokes worked really well but the editing & pacing were both terribly sloppy (especially seeing how they had enough time to squeeze in a redo of a prior couch gag and Lame Dancing Ending #3 of the HD era).

And yet I laughed a lot and the episode overall exceeded my expectations (well, at least the Robo-Seal plot did).

Not thrilled with the excessive abuse of cutaway gags. I'll take them over List Jokes but they should leave those to shows that do them better.

I have high expectations for the next two episodes especially if the humor level of this episode can be carried over into a typically tight Selman storyline.

It wasn't bad. Pretty much what I expect from this season so far...

3/5

Detailed review:

3/5

Non-detailed review:

1/5

Eh, it's kind of disappointing how much potential this had. It had it's good parts, but mostly everything was written pretty poorly. Homer's plot could have been good, but they completely messed up the execution of the Roz character. I couldn't believe her behavior towards him after being so innocently kind. I mean, they established there was a limit to how much she could tolerate with that dragged out laughing/snorting/gagging joke, and they ended the act with Homer realizing someone (obviously Roz) snitched on him to Burns. However, the next act opens up with her almost being unnecessarily evil to him to the point where I thought it was a dream sequence. :confused: It felt like the writers just decided "oh shit, we actually have to do something with this character. Make sure it's as clear as possible by now that she's antagonistic!". The conclusion to it was also very contrived. It basically shoe-horned a convenient conversation between Ned and Homer (which is sweet, but why an all of a sudden ongoing heart to heart?) which set up a random history of Roz that Homer would easily use to manipulate her. A pretty quick and safe device to conclude that story...

As for the seal plot, I was kind of with it, but it just seemed very chaotic to follow. Story-wise, it was kind of out there when it began to involve some secret group of people spying on them and old folks immediately accepting the seals at the end. The glick death was random, but not in anyway bad. The writers (for at least the episode's sake) seemed to learn the concept of when a character dies, they die. The only real aspect I liked about this subplot was just how it was able to involve the school, Martin, Milhouse, Frink, and the retirement home. For once it felt like the episode used a various amount of the townspeople from different parts of springfield in a somewhat more natural manner. Other than that though, what really seemed to plague the plot were the weird jokes. Grandpa and the jewish guy asking for heroin, Martin's random fantasy, Marge's cutaways, Milhouse kissing his dog, etc. I think the funniest joke for me was Dolph using his "toupee' detector" on chalmers. It's probably the first time one of the bullies have made me laugh in a long while.

Anyway, I want to say average, but I think the jean era could have done way better. 2/5

I thought it was pretty good. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5.

I liked the science fair plot.
I didn't much buy the Jane Lynch plot, but it provided a few laughs.(I thought having the mascot from an earlier instructional video on nuclear power be on the safety manual Homer was reading was a good touch.)

-- Nelson: "Who hath summoned me?"
-- Bender being on the cover of Popular Robotics
-- Wiggum dialing 911.
-- Chalmers belittling Lisa's project
-- The evil funeral director shooting the robot seal.

Things I didn't like:

-- I'm not sure what it is, but the writers seem determined to make Milhouse into some kind of sexual deviant. Between touching tongues with the dog, and having the sleeping picture of Bart, Milhouse's entire purpose in the episode just seems to have him be creepy. "Keep your kid away from that one" creepy.
-- The ending looked like they just kind of gave up. Showing Glick with Jesus was moderately amusing, but the evil cabal dancing around (especially when they were foiled) was a bit much.
-- Lisa, as always, was irritating.
-- The Itchy and Scratchy episode just felt lazy to me.

For a Zombie Simpsons episode it was good. LISA IS SO FUCKING ANNOYING NOWADAYS -.-, Millhouse is now randomly some perverted gay(gay part not bad) freak. As for the content: The main idea wasn't so bad but they made it far too abrupt from 'kind Roz' to 'nazi Roz' and as for the other one, it started off okay but the way they concluded with it wasn't satisfying and the dancing at the end was just lazy. Did laugh at the 'Miss Wyoming loves an ugly nerd glavin' part and Chief Wiggum's cameo with phone + Snake was humourous and made me smile anyway. However, like I've aluded to, hate what they've done with Millhouse, the section at the science fair felt too forced and as usual Homer had some cringeworthy lines(the part where he got his head stuck and her explaining what she meant by dumbing it down was funny for the first 5 hours...like Family Guy they dragged it on and on until they eventually murder the joke. 5/10 C

The funeral home people weren't elaborated on enough. There were a number of decent gags this time around, like the seals in jail. Mark Kirkland used some wonderful angles in his establishing shots, but most of the dialogue scenes were horribly staged. I'll give a 2.8 out of 5.

Written by Stephanie Gillis
Directed by Mark Kirkland
Billboard: 30 LOST CATS / CALL ME (Cat Lady)
Blackboard: IT'S NOVEMBER 6 -- HOW COME WE'RE NOT AIRING A HALLOWEEN SHOW?
Couch: The couch is in the Smithsonian Museum, and everybody has to sneak inside to sit on it (repeat of NABF13)
Special Guest Voice: Jane Lynch
Also Starring: Chris Edgerly, Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor
Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

Early in the episode, Homer shakes Roz's hand (in fact, Roz offers her hand first). Presumably, Roz doesn't like being touched if she's not doing the touching first.

Smilin' Joe Fission is on the cover of the manual Homer is reading.

Roz is from Ohio, which is where Jane Lynch's other show, Glee, is set.

The Itchy & Scratchy cartoon had no title.

Mr. Burns recognized Homer.

On the "core temperature" gauge, the green area is to the right of the yellow area. Unless the core temperature can be too low, or Burns bought left-pointing gauges, this should be reversed.

Bender from Futurama is on the cover of Popular Robotics magazine.

Homer knows who Jesus is (as opposed to "Jebus" or "Porky Pig").

After his experience with Theodore Roosevelt, Bart should know what it means when somebody says "bully".

Jesus only has four fingers on each hand, unlike God.

Mrs. Glick died; I'm surprised they didn't get Cloris Leachman (the original Mrs. Glick) to voice her again.

for some reason I have the feeling Jean took the writers on a field trip to some theodore roosevelt exhibit or something over the summer

I loved this episode. I'm actually really surprised more people on here didn't. I thought it was the best of the season so far, easily. I really enjoyed the whole thing, laughed a lot. Oh, and Jane Lynch annoys me insane amounts, but that still didn't bother me and ruin the episode so that's even more impressive.

Back