Rate and Review: "Moe Goes From Rags to Riches" (PABF05)

How would you rate this episode?

• Total voters

Oh that's raspberry!

Food-Crazed Maniac
January 29, 2012: Moe's beloved bar rag, voiced by Jeremy Irons, recounts its long life story. After it goes missing Moe realizes he has more friends than he thought. Discuss!

Absolutely horrible. Why was this show even renewed for a 23rd season? There is nothing good so far (besides "Holidays of Future Passed"). This episode made no sense. I did not understand the plot at all. This season is getting worse and worse for me every week. 1/5, F, 4/10.

If this show continues to disappoint me, I will NOT watch seasons 24 and 25 nor any season afterwards.

By the way, the twenty-second season will be the final season I may consider purchasing on DVD/Blu-ray.

Wow...just wow.

"Me celebrating with friends" *picture of Burns dancing with imps.
The only thing I chuckled at.

That was atrocious, I mean Barts and Milhouses side story was...alright I guess.

Awful awful awful. Three strikes and this season's out. That's it. I'm done with this season. Not tuning in anymore. 1/5.

EDIT: Well really that would be FOUR strikes.

Last edited:
Not too good. The plot seemed like a drawn-out and more boring version of the journey of the bear from Rosebud, and the subplot was one of the most forgettable and forced things I've ever seen. A couple OK jokes scattered here and there, and the ending kind of surprised me, with Moe throwing out the rag and suddenly bonding with the family. This was better than The D'oh-cial Network, but that's not saying much. This season is fading fast, but I'm staying with the show till the end.

2/5

Last edited:
A somewhat interesting concept with somewhat interesting execution. The Bart/Milhouse stuff was pointless filler, but it didn't drag on to long. I liked the different spoofs of history and I thought Jeremy's Iron did a fanastic performance. I'm glad they didn't go down the route of making the rag actually be "alive" - that would have been so lame. I just wish they spent more time on some parts - there were times I was genuinely getting sucked into the story. I also felt this episode was a little low on humor. Wait, scratch that. There was no humor and each joke was painful to watch (Homer using his foot as seasoning? Ewww.) Overall, it was a pretty interesting story, if far from good. 3/5 (C)

It wasn't very funny tonight, and didn't feel like an episode of the Simpsons really. I honestly don't know what they were thinking with this one.

Started off well, laughing all through the first act. The sub plot seemed, unnecessary, but still gave me a chuckle. Rest of the episode was okay, kept me entertained even if it was a bit at silly at times.

Jeremy Irons put in a class performance.

I feel they could have done a lot more with this episode had they not just tried to get through as many time periods as possible, maybe sticking to 3 or 4.

Watchable, better than the last two episodes.

7/10
voted 3/5

It definitely felt very weird for several reasons. It gave off vibes of a trilogy episode only with each story being much shorter and there being several of them....all being told by an inanimate object. I mean at times it reminded me of Margical History Tour and Simpsons Bible Stories, only there happened to be an overarching character involved in another story....who happened to be an inanimate object. The main criticism I guess I'd have is that it just wasn't that funny really. It did have some alright laughs though I mean Moe with the rag made for a nice little Peanuts reference, but I could've done without the Snoopy-rat. The sub-plot with Bart and Milhouse was extremely forgettable and felt like padding. Speaking of which the couch gag for this episode was used twice before in Season 20. It is clearly an example of padding similar to the old couch gag with the circus Jean and Reiss developed for Season 4.

The main story itself did keep me interested though and Irons did a good job. Those things alone make this FAR superior to the D'oh-cial Network, but it wasn't really that great or anything either....it felt like they were trying something different, but had mixed results. 3/5

I just got done watching the episode...

Well...

NO

NO

NO

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE! YOU MADE AN EPISODE ABOUT A RAG VOICED BY JEREMY IRONS! THEY TRY SO HARD TO GET PEOPLE LAUGHING! ADD A LITTLE BIT OF EMOTION!

THIS EPISODE WAS SO BAD THAT GIVING IT A 0 WOULD BE LIKE GIVING IT A GOLD MEDAL!

I rate this episode a: -100/10 (I still feel like I'm just giving this episode an emmy)

Tim Long destroyed Season 23...

We don't agree very often, but that was a good enough post to get a thumbs up, lolcats.

3/5

This was an episode that I had my highest hopes for but it didn't quite cut the mustard. Jeremy Irons was great for the voice of the bar rag and the stories in the first two acts were good. The pit filled with the rejected ladies was hilariously sexist. The stitching of the rag was really clever. Michelangelo using the rag for his paintings was passable. The bad things about the episode was that the adventures the rag had in the third and fourth act were choppy since the stories fell flat. The subplot involving Bart and Milhouse was filler we did not need.

After noticing that the first five PABFxx episodes have received generally poor reviews on this board, it has me thinking that it may not have been a good idea to extend the contract past season 23 especially since everyone on the staff has to take paycuts. Now that they have started to promote the 500th episode celebration tonight, the situation is now getting desperate.

Not an awful episode, just a boring misguided episode.

The rag telling a story, I'll admit, sounded interesting. Before seeing it, I thought perhaps Moe would suffer some sort of hardship, like owing money to somebody and discovering the rag is a priceless antique which he then sells and saves the bar. That's a weak plot, I'll admit, but it makes more sense than what we got and has a tiny bit of dramatic tension to it. The rag's story never really built up to anything or lead anywhere. Was the idea that everybody that owned the rag in the past suffered some horrible death? And the rag was sad that Moe would lead to some unfortunate end? Well we as an audience knew he wouldn't, so where the tension?

Bart and Milhouse's subplot was pure padding. We all knew they'd made up, and it didn't strengthen their friendship, so why bother?

Highlights:

• Jacqueline Bouvier
• the posters in Milhouse's room

I guess I was happy enough to see this episode once, I didn't hate it as I watched it like with "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed", but I'll probably never watch it again except for the eventual DVD release just for the commentary.

2/5

I watched this episode and then "Napoleon Dynamite." it was essentially a one-hour stretch of not-funny and groan inducementness.

I envy those who are blind and deaf.

It was not even that it was not funny. It was so unfunny that it was infuriating. Someone actually found that to be funny enough to be on television. That angries up the blood. Saddam Hussein was executed for less.

Nothing here even remotely resembles "The Simpsons."

God this was boring :(

I could've watched a rag spin around in my washing machine for 20 minutes to get the same amount of entertainment and laughs :ashamed:

And even that wasn't very excellent, looking back.

I agree but this is my R.I.P. for the show.

1987 - Holidays of Future Passed

The show died years before Holidays Of Future Passed. HOFP was clearly a fluke, as every passing episode further proves. It was no sign that the show was alive and/or kicking.

Back