Rate and Review "Little Orphan Millie" (JABF22)

Rate: Little Orphan Millie

• 5/5

Votes: 32 13.9%
  • 4/5

Votes: 93 40.3%
  • 3/5

Votes: 58 25.1%
  • 2/5

Votes: 31 13.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 17 7.4%

• Total voters
Wow, that was great! Hilarious and awesome, and a million times better than that shitty THOH last week.

4.5/5

I didn't think it was bad or unwatchable.. I just thought it was boring with very little laughs. At least the subplot wasn't an "end of the world/marriage" hyperbolic exercise.

subplot was highly unnecessary

main plot could have easily supported twenty minutes, forgetting how ridiculous it was that homer and marge would be concerned with their own crap

but not too bad overall

I really liked the Homer/Marge subplot, and the main plot was funny at first. I was going to give it a 4/5 but the stupid ending bumped it down to a 3/5

To quote Leo from Sideshow Bob's Last Gleaming: "Ugh, Terrible."

Is it just me, or is this the first episode where the characters besides Homer said something in the opening sequence.

5/5 - Man season 19 continues to impress me. Although a little far fetched and "wacky" the main plot was still very, very enjoyable, and although the subplot was trivial, I still think it is pretty hard to have a bad plot involving homer and Marge.

Interesting to see that Mick Kelly was the writer for the episode - I'm not sure about now anymore, but he's been Al Jean's assistant for a number of years. Definitely a really strong first script for the show. This was the best episode of the season so far. It also seems like they're enjoying tinkering with the opening credits, adding little vocal clips to some of the characters, and continually changing Lisa's sax solo.

This episode had a completely focused and coherent storyline (as well as a nice little B story to keep Homer and Marge busy), and had more laughs than any other episode this season. Most of all, there was just about a perfect balance of heartfelt emotion and an intriguing storyline. Granted, I never thought Kirk and Luanne were going to actually die (the story initially struck me as being familiar to an episode of The Critic, but wound up being hush-hush about the whereabouts of the parents until the end of the episode). What was intriguing about the story was actually the idea of Milhouse and Bart's role reversal, which was briefly touched upon in "Milhouse Doesn't Live Here Anymore". However, that time Milhouse's transition to his Cap City persona wasn't fleshed out in any real way, whereas this time it happened in a really organic and believable way.

Some of my favorite gags included the backyard spider explosion and the scene at the airport. Gaylord Q Twinkledink was a great gag character, and Uncle Zach was a nice addition to Milhouse's family too (his family is becoming pretty widespread). The Solvang airline was a solid visual gag too. Homer reading labels and his song were funny moments too.

The only problem that stood out to me at all was the awkward ending to the second act, which could have more to do with me being anal about continuity (Bart entering the front door and appearing through the backyard door, as well as Marge shelving her glasses for this part). But mainly, I'm just not too into out of character behaviour for the sake of a joke, which isn't to say Marge shouldn't dance and TRY to be hip, but rather she shouldn't know how to do it so well (I know, that's the joke - just not always my thing). But I'm being picky. This was a really solid episode - which also added a step of continuity within the show through the official reunion of Kirk and Luanne. I also thought the ending could have used some more breathing room, just to solidify their return home and return to the status quo.

5/5 (or 4.5 if you wanna be truly precise because of my pesky little complaints)

Last edited:
I'll be honest: this is perhaps the strongest episode of Season 19 thus far. Of course, that certainly doesn't mean it's without flaws. The third act was considerably weaker than the first two; many gags: Santa's Little Helper and Snowball II dancing like cartoon animals, the nerd on the plane, and Homer playing the rake like a guitar among others, simply didn't work. (That isn't to say that there weren't clunkers in the first two acts.) I can't say I enjoyed Marge's eye color being the subject of a strain on their relationship and the sequence where she walked around bumping into things went on too long. Thankfully, that subplot didn't take up too much time.

On the plus side, it was nice to see some halfway decent Bart characterization for once, and Milhouse was in-character as far as I could see. The plot was solid, and there were some moments that made me chuckle for once. ("Dear God- I need more quarters!", and maybe Lovejoy's scene.) Outside of the ending, I think this was one of the better storylines this season.

So Luann and Kirk are together again: good old Jean, he of the obsessive need to return things to the status quo. I wonder how long this will last?

At any rate: 3.5/5

I found very little redeemable in this episode. I thought Barts moments seemed incredibly forced and the ending was so out there, but then again I don't why I'm not expecting that at this point. I liked the danish vs. dutch Van Houtens the first time they used it by the end it was really tired.

D

I really, really liked it! I'm sitting at a solid A, 5/5 right now. (I was bordering on A+ until the third act, but still...!) Gonna have to watch it again to be sure, though, but I really, really liked it.

It got to the point, and there were a couple of stupid jokes and an aggravating self-reference, but... it was good. It was well-plotted, for one, and things worked out pretty well, including the subplot which was pretty nice and low-key.

Felt this one had some actual, pretty good, realistic emotion and progression with both Milhouse and Bart... aw. It was sweet. Nelson had some funny moments, Lisa was okay but I found her annoying a couple of times.

Still, though. A number of actually humorous moments (though Uncle Zach can go to hell, seriously, whatever), not much fell flat and I was genuinely interested. Can't wait to see this one again.

Very good episode. It had its flaws but it is defintly an improvment on the last few episodes we've had. The Homer and Marge plot was fantastic, I loved that Kirk and Louanne are married again, but the milhouse plot did have a bit to be disired, I wish we knew that Kirk and Louanne were on the sland earlier in the episode.
4/5

I'll give it a 3/5. I thought there was too much going on. The Milhouse plot was a good idea, but IMO not pulled off that great. It could have potentally been 3-5 different episodes: 1) Lisa falls for cool Milhouse, 2) Bart loses his best friend, 3) Milhouse gets a cool uncle, 4) The Van Houtens on the island. They should have picked one or maybe two. Plus, the scene with Lisa and Bart are talking about Bart's love for Milhouse in her bedroom was really strange. I don't know if the voices or animation were different, but it had a wierd feel for me. Could have been a really heartfelt moment, but it didn't come off that way.

I thought the subplot was actually kind of cool, except for the song.

The beehive thing at the beginning was the highlight for me.

Back