Rate and Review "Homer's Triple Bypass"

How would you rate "Homer's Triple Bypass"?

• Total voters

Wezzo

wreck on the highway
Can't wait to get Season 9 on DVD....at least then there will be different opinions on the episodes....otherwise, constant 5's all around. It's not a bad thing, as S4 was flawless, but it makes the whole idea of coming into a thread and posting/reading rather pointless as the outcome is already known.

Edit: Just for kicks, here's the Fresh/Rotten ratings for the S4 episodes from recent polls. It's definitely a far cry from the "highs" of 70% that we see lately. Note that an episode's percent of "freshness" is determined by the percentage of total votes that are 4s and 5s.

Mr. Plow: 100% (95% 5s)
Lisa's First Word: 100% (87% 5s)
New Kid on the Block: 100% (79% 5s)
Kamp Krusty: 100% (53% 5s)
Homer the Heretic: 97%
Itchy and Scratchy - The Movie: 95%
Homer's Triple Bypass: 92%
Treehouse of Horror III: 92%
Lisa the Beauty Queen: 90%
A Streetcar Named Marge: 85%
Marge Gets A Job: 84%

Last edited:
Normally, when you think of a TV show's main character going through a health problem, you also think of the episode regarding it as unbelievably emotional. While this episode had its share of emotion, it focused a lot on humor and made the cliched "character has a health crisis" storyline fresh. It had its good touching moments of course, but the humorous moments were incredible (e.g. Dr. Nick performing the surgery, Burns calling Homer into his office where he did keel over, the brain hemmorhages line, it goes on and on). One of the funniest episodes of season 4, even though it dealt with a serious storyline. A+.

A brilliant episode which expertly balances the right level of emotion with some sheer laugh-out-loud humor. Some great writing, and some fantastic direction. In particular, the scene where Homer is in Mr Burns' office, and a preview showing the viewer what's going on inside his heart, before he suffers a cardiac arrest, is just inspired direction. The idea of Lisa guiding Dr Nick Riviera through the surgery may be preposterous, but if you like episodes laden with plenty of jokes, this is the one to watch.

Very funny. I don't know what else to say- I still have vacation brain. So, uh, what?

Oh yes. What makes this episode great is the wonderful blending of emotion and humour. Take the "Aorta Faries" scene- not only is it touching, it's hilarious. In some episodes humour interferes with emotion, but here it just adds frosting to the cake. Wonderful stuff. 5/5

This is a great episode. Once again, we got to see the milked emotion from Homer thinking he might die. I really like the "People who look like things" that was taped over the surgery video. I did believe that Lisa coaching Dr. Nick was a bit implausible and was too much of a plot-solver, but it's no big problem. This is yet another reason why S4 is the perfect season.

Despite the sensitive subject matter, this one was pulled off with surprisingly good taste. The emotion in this one is great, but the humor outdoes it by far--I mean, with Dr. Nick, how can you go wrong? Anyway, there are some emotional moments, with Homer's goodbyes to Bart and Lisa being so sweet. The characterization is great, and what more is there to say? A nearly flawless episode.

5/5

Very good episode, but it doesn't stand up to the episodes around it (because they are so good). Still lke all season four episodes well worth my time, no matter how many times I see it. 4/5 B+

Easily one of my favorite episodes of the show, a top 10 one for me. Brilliant writing, and an impeccable blend of emotion and humor, with plenty of great lines from the supporting cast. 5/5, a rare A+

Emotional, funny, everything you need for a great episode and this was a great episode. 5/5

I cannot say enough good things about this episode. It was touching, relatable, realistic, absolutely, get-burtingly hilarious, and full of some of the best characterization any episode has ever boasted. If only Homer was written this way all the time, I would die in peace. This is a classic, THE classic, example of The Simpsons taking a heartfelt, emotional issue that many, many people could symapthize with, and pull it off with a zany twist in such a way that it leaves you howling with laughter, but still has time for a few serious moments. Somehow, the idea of Homer having a heart problem just clicks together with Homer's character so perfectly that you start to wish they would show it in more episodes (even though that would ruin it). Dr. Nick as well was simply at top form: at his stupidest and most appalling ever. He kept me in stitches whenever he was on screen. Full of classic quotes "Bed goes up, bed goes down", "Cloud goes up, cloud goes down", "Whew! I though it was my tranmission!", "Oh I thought it said brain hemorhages!", "No sir. I discussed this with the authorities, they consider it murder.", "I made an H!", etc., etc.

On the other hand, this episode could have easily sunk in the hands of anyone but Dave Silverman. It could have been disjointed, awkward, and insensitive, but my oh my, he pulled off the direction so well he deserved an Emmy, if there was such a category. The scene where Homer keels over in Burns's office remains among my top favorite scenes in the Simpsons, heck, in all animation. I especially love this episode because of it's quiet moments in between scenes: Homer praying in his hospital bed (a perfect example of the Simpsons soft spot for religion). Bart and Lisa's messages to each other, which I thought felt Brooksian ever before I found out that Brooks wrote it. Marge and Homer trying to figure out their finances, which I'm sure almost everyone could relate to. Homer's characterization really does hold this episode together, he is perfect: sweet, stupid, bumbling, slightly pathetic, the whole gamut. This episode has a very special place in my heart, but even if it didn't, I would still give it the highest A+ ranking.

5/5. Incredible jokes, a wonderfully written plot, great animation... and Dr. Nick is all over it. Awesome.

"When I first heard about the operation, I was against it. But then I thought - if Homer wants to be a woman, so be it."

Just one of many, many great zingers from this episode. 5/5

I remember being 5-years old and already watching that episode with my parents and getting my first glance of the Simpsons. I have to give it 5/5 since it brings in all kinds of good memories of when I was a kid. That and it also has a great plot and humor.

I cannot say enough good things about this episode. It was touching, relatable, realistic, absolutely, get-burtingly hilarious, and full of some of the best characterization any episode has ever boasted. If only Homer was written this way all the time, I would die in peace. This is a classic, THE classic, example of The Simpsons taking a heartfelt, emotional issue that many, many people could symapthize with, and pull it off with a zany twist in such a way that it leaves you howling with laughter, but still has time for a few serious moments. Somehow, the idea of Homer having a heart problem just clicks together with Homer's character so perfectly that you start to wish they would show it in more episodes (even though that would ruin it). Dr. Nick as well was simply at top form: at his stupidest and most appalling ever. He kept me in stitches whenever he was on screen. Full of classic quotes "Bed goes up, bed goes down", "Cloud goes up, cloud goes down", "Whew! I though it was my tranmission!", "Oh I thought it said brain hemorhages!", "No sir. I discussed this with the authorities, they consider it murder.", "I made an H!", etc., etc.

On the other hand, this episode could have easily sunk in the hands of anyone but Dave Silverman. It could have been disjointed, awkward, and insensitive, but my oh my, he pulled off the direction so well he deserved an Emmy, if there was such a category. The scene where Homer keels over in Burns's office remains among my top favorite scenes in the Simpsons, heck, in all animation. I especially love this episode because of it's quiet moments in between scenes: Homer praying in his hospital bed (a perfect example of the Simpsons soft spot for religion). Bart and Lisa's messages to each other, which I thought felt Brooksian ever before I found out that Brooks wrote it. Marge and Homer trying to figure out their finances, which I'm sure almost everyone could relate to. Homer's characterization really does hold this episode together, he is perfect: sweet, stupid, bumbling, slightly pathetic, the whole gamut. This episode has a very special place in my heart, but even if it didn't, I would still give it the highest A+ ranking.
I was going to comment this episode, but these two paragraphs are essentially all what I could say. Top20 episode and probably the funniest ever. 10/10

Back