Rate and Review: "Homerland" (RABF20)

How would you rate "Homerland"?

• 5/5- Talk about an episode! Wow.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • 4/5- The season premiere I was looking for.

Votes: 26 20.3%
  • 3/5- It was okay. Not great, but okay.

Votes: 43 33.6%
  • 2/5- Meh. Not great at all, but it was decent.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • 1/5- The terrorists have won.

Votes: 19 14.8%

• Total voters

Krusty Burglar

Professional Burger Stealer
In this season premiere, Homer starts to act strangely polite after returning from a nuclear power plant convention, prompting a suspicious Lisa to ask an intense FBI agent to help her solve this mystery.

Talk about it.

This sucked. While they fed us lots of jokes, none were natural or funny. The whole episode just felt stupid and robotic. Another sterile HD episode... yawn.

Kristen Wiig's character was totally useless. Shoehorned guest star, much?

1/5

Bottom 10. It made literally no sense. Sure, it may make more sense to watch Homeland first, but that's not fair to people who haven't. 1/5.

ACT ONE:

Talk about rehashing jokes - I caught one from $pringfield and another from Treehouse of Horror XIV. And I think there was a third, but I can't remember.

The joke about the cereal being the only way for Bart to take his "vitamins" would have been way funnier without Marge explaining it, followed by the closeups of the pill bottles.

I did laugh at Homer packing an entire roasted pig in his bag.

ACT TWO:

Pretty boring and laugh free second act.

Really uncomforable joke with Marge antagonizing Lisa about her religion.

Even more uncomfortable joke where Marge compliments Homer on moving his body during sex.

ACT THREE:

Really weird expositive dialogue in a the form of a song... ugh, terrible.

I had two laughs this act: the security guard remembering why his cat died and the scanner mistaking a fish for Mr. Burns.

Okay, we know that Homer was in a van with hippies. So, how does that explain why he was so monotone this whole time?

OVERALL:

Decent episode. Not really season premiere material, though. 3/5 (C+)

whoa animation domination characters animated in the credits. neat.

My local fox station cut out the entire opening so I missed the flying gag, couch gag, etc...

I thought act 1 was boring and unfunny. Acts 2 and 3 were more lively, had several things I enjoyed. 3/5

Worst paced episode in a long time. So sterile, and such a poor parody. Bottom 20.

1/10.

Just Terrible.

Bad Pacing
Unfunny Jokes
Boring
Disappointing

1/5

The Credits were neat.

Missed the episode thanks to not getting home early enough. Should have something up tomorrow.

From what I've seen so far, though, it was a decent but not great episode.

holy christ the poll isn't public. BURGLAR ARRRRRRGH

The worst season premiere since...the last season premiere!

Definitely a helluva lot better than I expected. I can't remember the last time I laughed at a post-classic season episode. Also, Chief Wiggum had some funny joke for the first time in at least 10 years! The only thing I didn't like was the FBI agent. What was the point of her again? Other than for the writers and producers to say "Hey! We got Kristen Wigg to voice a character again!" Geez, at least Calliope Juniper had some kind of character development. Even if it didn't lead anywhere. I'm giving this a 4/5 due to the FBI agent having no character.

i feel like trying to satanically revive the thumbs down button for that rating alone

My local fox station cut out the entire opening so I missed the flying gag, couch gag, etc...

My opening was totally lost. At first, I thought it was gag in the episode because the grey screen with the timing numbers appeared with the "Please stand By" message, then the local station's logo came up with the "Technical Difficulties" screen. :( (Minutes later, an unintentional laugh came from the scene where the plane took a nose dive and the screen went black.)

As for the actual episode...barf. The only LOL moment was when the FBI agent lady took her pills and pushed down Ralph. Another plus was Lady Gaga wasn't in it.

2/5.

My opening was totally lost. At first, I thought it was gag in the episode because the grey screen with the timing numbers appeared with the "Please stand By" message, then the local station's logo came up with the "Technical Difficulties" screen. :(

Pretty much the same thing on my end.

Also, hardest I laughed at anything was Homer's face opening while working at the plant in the opening credits during the commercial they aired for next week.

My station in Philly had test patterns for the first half of the opening credits, then it cut out for the couch gag, and when it came back the show was in SD until about halfway through. So it was hard to get into the episode with all the technical problems.

The episode sort of played out like 24 Minutes, using the style of another show the act as a template for the story, and Don't Fear The Roofer from Lisa's perspective. Where Homer looks crazy, but in the end there is an alternate explanation.

Act 1 took a while to get moving, and the technical difficulties didn't help. Still, I liked the Power Plant Conference and the mystery of where Homer was. Act 2 picked up a bit when Lisa played detective. Quite a few jokes that I enjoyed, and I really liked the scene in the kitchen between Homer and Lisa. Act 3 was not as strong, but I liked the resolution. Act 4 was hardly an act at all, at most it just showed them returning to the status quo and I loved the still frames during the end credits.

I feel that the episode might have been stronger had I seen Homeland, but I did like the FBI agent well enough.

3/5

also argh repeating a joke from season 5

and argh repeating a joke from season 15

Yeah, lots of technical difficulties. Missed most of the opening due to a test pattern that strangely had the Fox water mark, then the feed dropped out for about 30 seconds after they got to the airport, and the feed kept jumping between SD and HD until after the first commercial break. Even had a couple scenes where there was a noticeable echo/repeating of lines. Really strange.

That and the Boise stuff was freaky. Boise doesn't brainwash you that bad.

eh the only difficulty for me was in the opening.

that smirk ruins your post forever

Like I care. Besides, that review is what I think of the episode and it's my opinion. I honestly didn't have much of a problem with this episode like most of you did. I think the problem you guys have with it (even though none of you care to admit it) is that the story isn't given enough to fully develop, given that, once you take out all the commercials and shit, you literally only have about 12 minutes of an episode. I, on the other hand, can look past all that bullshit and see the episode for what it really is: a modern classic. Good day to you, sir!

Like I care. Besides, that review is what I think of the episode and it's my opinion. I honestly didn't have much of a problem with this episode like most of you did. I think the problem you guys have with it (even though of you care to admit it) is that the story is given enough to fully develop, given that, once you take out all the commercials and shit, you literally only have about 12 minutes of an episode. I, on the other hand, can look past all that bullshit and see the episode for what it really is: a modern classic. Good day to you, sir!
you make no sense. you say it's filler but you love it?

Like I care. Besides, that review is what I think of the episode and it's my opinion. I honestly didn't have much of a problem with this episode like most of you did. I think the problem you guys have with it (even though of you care to admit it) is that the story is given enough to fully develop, given that, once you take out all the commercials and shit, you literally only have about 12 minutes of an episode. I, on the other hand, can look past all that bullshit and see the episode for what it really is: a modern classic. Good day to you, sir!

A modern classic?

What a good chalkboard gag this week, mind. Shame about the rest.
Was there a chalkboard gag? From what I can tell, it didn't air anywhere in the Eastern/Central time zones, judging from posts here and from FB.

And the show doesn't start in Mountain for another few minutes, and in Pacific for a few hours.

Back