• 5/5: Brings new meaning to the word 'classic'

Votes: 88 53.0%
  • 4/5: Doesn't bring new meaning to the word 'classic', but still great

Votes: 59 35.5%
  • 3/5: Neither here nor there

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • 2/5: Oh dear. Oh DEAR, oh dear.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 1/5: I'm ashamed that I ever attempted to watch this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A fantastic episode as Lisa fought with her morals and Homer. The ending is especially gratifying.

4/5

Another great gem of season 2 I just had to review. It's amazing a pretty flawless episode and really shows that season 2 was the most satirical of any season. Also that season 2's jokes really stand out as being hilarious yet in most cases deep.

Lisa's characterization in this episode is virtually flawless. She is the moralistic foil to the family/town and does it without being overbearing and annoying. She has a cause but doesn't bully people into thinking the way she does. She is the adult trapped in a child's body. But at the same time she is in ways still learning about moral issues (because of her age) at church, from Marge and Homers actions etc. She is the Lisa before everything went wrong and she became a pushy P.C Liberal. She is Lisa pre Lisa the Vegetarian and everything about her in this episode works.

I would probably rank this episode in the top 15 for funniest episode in the shows history. There are so many gut busting funny moments the cable pamphlet, the Boxing pre fight, Smithers and Burns bringing the snacks, Homer in Kwik E Mart, The whole supermarket scene,Bart's hell song, Bart's Top hat theater, Lisa's whole conversation with Lovejoy and the North by Northwest reference. Pure gold! This episode is also chalk full of background gags. There is hardly one scene in the episode where someone isn't stealing something whether it's Jimbo in multiple places, Maggie at the super market or SLH stealing Homer's lemonade in the opening scene. There is also a great call back joke (probably the best the show has ever done) with Homer watching TV and Itchy and Scratchy's voices coming up a la Itchy and Scratchy and Marge. But the most famous joke of the episode might be the "it's funny because it's true line". Which is just a great joke on many levels because The Simpsons specialized in creating realistic every day humour

Now I'm not the most skilled animation expert but I do know when something works and when something doesn't and this episode is filled with some great animation/direction and puts those "the early seasons animation sucks" people to shame. First off with Lisa envisioning hell surrounding the family and the devil on the couch looks really great and the colours are nicely done everything is perfect. Homer's jail sequence is really nicely shaded with the pale blue and black colour scheme and lastly I really liked the scene with Marge and Homer lying in bed talking about the kids. Everything looks so realistic from them talking to Homer's litte chest hair and his foot coming down to end the scene was quite nice as well.

I never really could understand how anyone could call this episode dated. I mean if you just look at it from the point of "they're stealing cable so it is dumb because no one steals cable anymore" you're really missing out on a lot of the episode. This episode isn't about the theft of cable and more about how each character deals with the moral issue of stealing. The scene in the car on the way home form church is a funny while being a really great insight into each child. You can see it in that Lisa is feeling guilt over the theft of cable and breaking a commandment while Bart just wants to be able to use a profanity. Also Bart at Sunday school is interesting as well where we know he's curious about the after life as most kids are but his questions are more that he's looking forward to the after life etc. Martin also raises a great point about church in saying there's a downside to the after life most people forget about or aren't fully taught about how to avoid it. Also if you look at the way each character uses the cable it's a great look at the family's dynamic and each character's traits. First Bart uses the cable to gain extra money via his Top hat theater. Homer uses it to gain more friendship and feel more wealthy because the family can't actually afford cable. But the best moment and brings the point home about Homer's character is that he bars every window to keep out thieves yet doesn't see the direct hypocisy in his action. Marge is reluctant to really watch the TV she does during that women's show but that is it. Of course Lisa refuses to watch the TV because it is morally wrong. But the most defining moment is when the town all gets together to watch the fight on illegal cable. The cops/ Apu/plant workers/Mr. Burns all get together the scene in itself is a great testament of the towns corruption and and lack of morals and showcasing Lisa as the towns moral center(a trait the writers would take to far in some episodes) as she and Marge are the only ones not to watch the fight at the start. But in the end Homer does realize that his actions are not right with the jail scene and him having to hide nearly everything in the house because he'd stolen it from work/Moe's etc. That end is a great look at Homer as well in showing that eventually he will realize that his actions are wrong and will attempt to correct them. Whether it be making Bart stay outside with the family or later cutting the cable.

Overall it's my 10th favourite episode ever and my 2nd favourite of the 2nd season. It's a great showcase of the writers ability to balance every aspect of the show and gets better with every viewing

Grade: A+

Last edited:
LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!
I love how this epsiode explor Homer's "sin of stilling" and wish they would do more epsodes that would be devotet to one topic like this one. Every joke in the episode is conected to the plot or the subject matters (I love little toches like their in the shop and In many shots you can see Jimbo in the background stilling apples) It's great how intence it get's near the end.
This episode is somewhere among my top favorite episodes off all time and I wish writers today would try something like this today...

4/5

I love opening in this episode. Great pamphlet, "So you've decided to steal cable"
I also really enjoy the ending in this one with Homer cutting the cable and the screen going to static

Darren said:
I never really could understand how anyone could call this episode dated.

i agree; i dont think its really dated. i think dated might be the wrong word these people are using though.

if by dated they mean a little irrelevant, then i can sympathise. as an eight year old i never grappled with moral decisions in the way lisa does here, and so if these critics are criticising the episode because they cannot identify with this situation then i'd sympathise. it's not an uncommon criticism, and its actually a criticism you'll hear from the simpsons writers, albeit concerning bart. al jean stated in one commentary - i forget which - that he had difficult writing for bart, and that he disliked bart, because he cannot identify with him. some probably have trouble identifying with lisa and the way she's portrayed in this episode, and i think it's a valid criticism.

having said as much, i've never held lisa's characterisation against her. it's there, it'd odd, but once you accept that she's unlike many other eight year old's you get over it and work with it.

i think by 'dated' though, they might also be referring to the whole issue of sin and religion and whatever else. im not american and i was not brought up religious. for me, the issue is a little laboured because it's so unlike anything you see where i live. i'm thinking right now, and for the life of me, i cannot think of anyone that actually attended sunday school, or who goes to church weekly. the closest i can think of was a samoan girl i used to work with, whose family was mormon :silly:

for me, organised religion, sunday school etc is a dated issue. it's something that used to happen, but doesn't anymore, and the episode's setting is a little foreign.

i pre-empt those who will read this post as a damning criticism of the episode, and i state that i personally rate it an A+. i was originally thinking an A, but i upgraded it. aside from the foreign setting, there's no reason to regarded the episode poorly. and even this criticism, i think, is not all that problematic. yes the sunday school/religion elements might seem a little foreign, but i'm still aware of them, and i think most people do too. further, any problems with 'datedness' can be rationalised in the same way. those dated things might not be important anymore, but they're still pretty accessible.

(in contrast to like father like clown, which has elements that are inaccessible)

She is the Lisa before everything went wrong and she became a pushy P.C Liberal.

i never really minded that transformation too much. go to a university, find some lefties or some commies, and pleasantly put forth an argument for free market economics and watch the way they react. this particular characterisation hits close to home, for me. i guess the trick with lisa is to make sure this pushiness is limited solely to her politics and that when it interferes elsewhere, as it did in lisa the vegetarian, that she realises her folly. actually, i think lisa the vegetarian is one of the better lisa episodes because it mixes that pc element with the calmer elements of her character. the pc thing becomes problematic when it's overbearing.

also, was it this episode where lisa's rationale for her form of protest was non-violent resistance? well that could well be regarded as pushy, just in a non-pushy way :P

But the most defining moment is when the town all gets together to watch the fight on illegal cable. The cops/ Apu/plant workers/Mr. Burns all get together the scene in itself is a great testament of the towns corruption and and lack of morals and showcasing Lisa as the towns moral center(a trait the writers would take to far in some episodes) as she and Marge are the only ones not to watch the fight at the start. But in the end Homer does realize that his actions are not right with the jail scene and him having to hide nearly everything in the house because he'd stolen it from work/Moe's etc. That end is a great look at Homer as well in showing that eventually he will realize that his actions are wrong and will attempt to correct them. Whether it be making Bart stay outside with the family or later cutting the cable.

if the town is removed from lisa's morality then, by definition, the town's 'moral centre' would be nowhere near her. second, and more personally, i don't think watching stolen cable qualifies as 'corruption'. on that point, i'm not convinced that the episode's purpose was to damn the town's supposed lack of morals at all. the end shows burns and apu - the immigrant and the megalomanical tycoon - chatting like old friends while they, and the rest of the town, head out for squishees. even though the 'sin' of theft was present, the episode ends on a pretty uplifting note by showing the town's community and the rest of that schmaltzy crap, lol.

and from memory, homer doesn't return those stolen items because he realises he's done wrong - he's afraid of getting caught. similarly, i really don't think he cut off the cable because his morals suddenly lined up with lisa's. instead, i think the pressure just got to him, he wanted to shut her up, and he wanted to please his daughter. after all, he doesn't exactly have a smile on his face when he's cutting off the cable, does he?

earlier in this thread chou said, "And she tells her father this, hoping he understands, and eventually he comes around. It's really nice in how they demonstrate Lisa's relationship with Homer and Marge. Marge is supportive of her and Homer doesn't understand her motives but still decides to comply."

i think that's quite true, and i think it's a mis-read of the episode to suggest its an affirmation of conventional morality.

Last edited:
I'm still unsure whether you could really call this episode dated. The fact is religion although it's not a part of many peoples lives they still know the basics of it and the episode is more than just the religious topic of sin. It's a look at what stealing is and sure it talks of its religious consequences but it's more about how it effects people on a moral level. It's also a great look at how much stealing is really stealing. Also in terms of Lisa's character i do find her relatable because everyone when they're young has a some form of innocence and that what I think she represents in this episode. I mean was I able to deal/be as insightful as Lisa at her age? Of course not but that's what makes Lisa's character so complex is that she can be relatable and insightful at the same time.

Ben said:
I'm not convinced that the episode's purpose was to damn the town's supposed lack of morals at all. the end shows burns and apu - the immigrant and the megalomanical tycoon - chatting like old friends while they, and the rest of the town, head out for squishees. even though the 'sin' of theft was present, the episode ends on a pretty uplifting note by showing the town's community and the rest of that schmaltzy crap, lol.
and from memory, homer doesn't return those stolen items because he realises he's done wrong - he's afraid of getting caught. similarly, i really don't think he cut off the cable because his morals suddenly lined up with lisa's. instead, i think the pressure just got to him, he wanted to shut her up, and he wanted to please his daughter. after all, he doesn't exactly have a smile on his face when he's cutting off the cable, does he?
But the fact that Burns and Apu are able to bond over something they know is stolen is a great testament to the towns morality. But maybe lack of morals was a mis-word on my part maybe a sense of I dunno apathy? towards the moral issue of stealing. The fact that no one really knows about the commandments(or cares about them) even Marge couldn't remember them etc.

Again I think I worded my review oddly in saying Homer hid the stuff from Moe's/work out of knowing he was wrong because that was definitely out of fear and with the cable cutting I think it's a little bit of fear mixed with his relationship with Lisa and I do think he somewhat knew that it was wrong. I mean you still never really get a completely firm resolution that all stealing is bad or anything and I think that's what makes the ending of this episode so special. Of course there is the implication that Homer's soul was saved in Lisa's dialogue and through Homer's going up the pole representing him ascending to heaven. Maybe that's just me though. Fuck this episode is a real work of genius though I also bumped my grade up to an A+.

Last edited:
lol yes i do like your interpretation of the end with homer ascending to heaven. it's like the end to bart sells his soul which (i think) josh weinstein or bill oakley said coud be interpreted as bart having died during his sleep.

Enjoyable. Set a great example about stealing and morals. Had its funny parts i.e Homer/Flanders interaction with the cable guy but not one of Season 2 best episodes. Fine ending and always entertaining. 4/5 and 8/10

I love this episode and I'm surprised others here don't seem to. Not only is it one of the funniest of season 2, but it's also very well written and directed. I mean, I don't understand how anyone can say season 2 is poorly animated/whatever when you look at these scenes:
frame002.jpg

frame012.jpg

frame072.jpg

frame111.jpg

There were also some great scene transitions which I can't capture with still images.

I will admit I find this episode slightly... "preachy" at points, but only very slightly. It is definitely an interesting look in to Springfield as a town, no doubt, but, even though I believe stealing to be in most cases wrong, this episode did at rare points become a tad one sided. I recognise the episode isn't a satire like I&S&M and looking at both sides isn't necessarily the point of the episode (it's more to explore the character's reactions to the cable), but I still feel the episode was, at rare intermittent points, very moralistic. Lisa sounded unusually smug for season 2 saying "sorry I'd rather go to heaven".

But I must stress that I do love this episode a lot and it's definitely in my top 15. I just don't think it's perfect. A

thats probably because shooting out the lights doesn't really fit the jerkass bill

So if I shot out my lights tonight before going to bed that would be considered normal behaviour? no, I'm pretty sure its absolutely stupid.

And I got around to watching this today. I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed it, often the problem with season 1 & 2 episodes is that they feel laboured, slow and ultimately unenjoyable in comparison to the rest of the classic era. I have many things in this episode I want to talk about. Firstly, I hate preachy themes where you know whats going to happen as soon as the episode starts, and it goes on like that until by the end your not paying attention anymore because its just fulfilled your expectations.

Theres something strange about Lisa in this episode, like she doesn't have a personality, she just mopes around acting worried and morally superior, with this blank expression on her. The ending with her sitting outside watching Homer was quite amusing but I prefer it when she acts intelligent but like a little girl, not like some guilt ridden saint who's sole purpose throughout the episode is to tell us whats right.

Now onto what I enjoyed, the first scene with the bible references where great, a rare appearance of Jacques too which is something of a collectors item. I liked the Troy McLure infomercials, something that dissapeared after season 3 I believe, which is a shame. And the supermarket scene was really amusing.

093.jpg

I don't know who the 2 grapes guy was and who did the voice but he should be as big as "just stamp the ticket guy".

And the characterisation of Burns in this episode was great, I loved the line from Smithers "you still have the common touch" or whatever, and his struggle to recognise Homer, while he was outside talking to Barney. Very funny.

The episode is solid all the way through, with a surprising amount of jokes that don't feel forced and tame like most season 2 episodes do. There are downsides, its very much a cartoon show thats forcing a very boring message down your throat. I know stealing is wrong, so fucking what? And it is very predictable, not to mention it hasn't got a subplot to keep the episode balanced. Overall I'll be generous and give it a A- .

Very deep episode. Does it without being ridiculously preachy and obvious. [MENTION=32798]Darren.Erg[/MENTION] puts it perfectly.

My favourite Lisa episode by a country mile.

Not as touching as the previous episode but much funnier, and it still manages to examine a relevant moral dilemma. Good characterization, with children that are children instead of cynical miniature adults. Full of great jokes.

Rating: A

Ehhhh...There are a few things that bother me about this episode. Lisa says she's going to "silently protest" and not bring up again. But she does. For some inane reason, she says, in front of every single person in the room, that she's going to protest the fight. And Homer goes out to join his daughter and brings Bart out for no discernible reason. Homer's feeling guilty and wants to make Lisa feel better; why drag Bart into this? As much as I tried to enjoy this episode, I just couldn't.

Another great episode from an great season. This is one of those episodes that like Homer The Heretic portrays Homer as the bad guy. And Lisa is the religious christian that try to follow all the commandments as well as possible, in this episode. The things she does in this episode, like wanting Marge to pay for two grapes because she thought it would be considered stealing, Going out while Homer and his friends watch an boxing game, because she does not want to watch anything on the cable tv etc, would probably been considered out-of-caracter for her for now when she is an buddhist. But this is season 2, and she still followed the christian faith so it only makes sense for her to care about the commandments in this episodes, and trying to stop Homer from stealing cable tv.

Some things i liked were, The beginning with Moses giving people the 10 commandments, Bart saying hell, (An cool thing i noticed, was that the first time in the car when he says hell he gets a twister mouth like in the shorts for an second) Homer stealing things from Moes while Lisa is watching, also liked the callback to the Porch Pals short when Homer watches tv, and flips through channels. Also, this was the first appearence of Troy Mcclure. And while not as funny as he is in say Lisa The Vegetarian i still enjoyed his apparence. Another thing i enjoyed was Lisas vision of hell.. Also one cool thing, in the end when Homer cuts all the cabels the episode ends instantly. Also, liked Burns exchange with Smiters.

The plot was solid, and interesting in the way that it was one of the first episode of The Simpsons with an religious subject, and this episode can also work as an study for the 10 commandments. The caracters were in caracter. (I already explained Lisa at the beginning of the review) And it was funny too. Overall an great episode. I have no complaints. I dont know if i should give it an full A+ though, so i leave it as an solid A episode. Grade:A

3/5

A decent episode, but the morality message is a bit screwy. You give me free Satellite, give me all the channels, for nothing a month. I'm down for that and I don't feel the least bit bad about it. :lol:

This episode epitomizes much of what I love about Season 2. It is very grounded and character driven, and the characterizations are spot on. The humour isn't that well developed, but it doesn't need to be because the story is strong. This isn't the strongest such episode, but it is still very good. 8/10

8/10: So homer finds a way to get free cable and Lisa gets upset when they talk about the ten commandments in Sunday school because her family is stealing cable. Bart getting busted watching porn thwn charging others was hilarious. Another one of my fave scenes were the gags when the guests started showroom up for the fight.

Lisa is my favourite character, but she doesn't really come into her own until 'Lisa's Substitute'. That doesn't mean this episode isn't a personal favourite of mine from Season 2. Homer and Lisa probably have the most interesting and developed relationship in the series (although Bart and Lisa work extremely well together). They're polar opposites in almost every regard, yet make for the most undeniably sweet dynamic. The writer probably realized pretty quickly how pairing Homer and Lisa together (or in most cases pitting them against each other in regard to some moral or social issue) made for compelling storytelling, and this episode is the first on many great examples. As with many season 2 episodes it's grounded in a very relatable story about a family being tempted into stealing cable (long before the Simpsons were killing aligators and evading the law in Florida).

The cable aspect has not aged well, although that can't be helped, the writers probably expected it at the time of making the episode. I also remember when cable used to be a rare, luxury item. This episode does however sport a well-developed pace as Lisa is slowly able to convince Marge, not through any pressure but by means of her own moral objection, that stealing cable is wrong, and they eventually convince Homer the same way. (No luck with Bart - this is the kid who called the Devil 'sir' three episodes ago) The Simpsons is still pushing a somewhat Christian ajenda (even on Lisa, who would eventually convert), I suppose they weren't ready to move out of their comfort zone and start satirizing organized religion just yet.

Overall another solid. 9/10

Some episodes from seasons one and two seem weird when you watch them in retrospect. But if I have to choose the episode what aged worse than the rest, that is Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment. The thematic about cable theft is obsolete, especially when Steal this Episode did an infinitely better job about a similar concept 23 years later.
645151.jpg

How can one little, insulated ware, bring so much happiness?

But obviously, my complaint is not how the plot lost sense in those days. When I write a review, I try to understand the context. The TV for cable was what everyone wanted or enjoyed then, so it's all right that they have explored this. But there is a lot of flaws that I can't ignore. The worst thing for me is that I feel this episode as a sermon disguised in an episode of The Simpsons. They remarked the message of not stealing in each moment the could do it. And although it was a characteristic in the first seasons, this time it turned kinda annoying. Since the opening scene, they aborded the subject, when I think they could have stared with better pacing and not so abruptly. Even in some transitions between one scene and other they bombard us with this, as Jimbo stealing food in the Kwik-E-Mart or in the background of the supermarket too. It's pretty monothematic, only a few jokes about the TV cable at the start. Talking about that, I enjoyed the first appearance of Troy McClure, a character that I don't love as others, but who had a good moment here, without the criminally overrated gag in which he names his movies/TV shows. Another thing I didn't like how they drove was the addition of religion in the episode. I felt Mrs. Albright's scene quite decaffeinated. It seems like writers think that is all right with religious scaring to kids with the hell and that topic. I waited for a critic against them, but they stayed out. Also, when Lisa goes to talk with Lovejoy, they show the religion as the solution. I don't have anything against religion, but the use of it was really one-sided.
437574.jpg

Is it clear, right?

Another thing that today is obsolete is Lisa's characterization. Lisa is probably the character who evolved the most in the series, and it is strange how she was scared for what Albright and Lovejoy said her in the Church. But, again, my complaint is not in how I see it currently. It was out of character even for that version of Lisa. Although she'd be a believer, she never would follow what someone imposes without arguments and science. Yeah, Homer acts were unmoral and she was the one who should protest, but not because a catechist persuades her. Maybe her character was smarter over time, but she never was an innocent girl who let herself be manipulated and believe in something without a previous question. Also, her behavior was annoying and pretty unbearable. I hate her way to protest against nothing and how she was besides Homer in each movement he did. Bart's role was tolerable, but it was weird too. The Simpsons rarely explore Bart's sexuality, and this perspective was not well-executed. I mean, it could be funny to see Bart watching those videos as a sporadic gag, but not the attempt of execution a touching B-story. If it would be stopped in a simple scene in which Homer catching Bart doing it and, as much, in a reason to cut the connection to the cable would be fine, I guess, but the father/son chat and the little business of Bart turn it in an uncomfortable moment. I think there were better ways to explore the enjoyment and problems that Bart has got with the cable.
1069608.jpg

What understand this girl for nonviolent? There's nothing more violent than that.

The protagonist of this story was Homer. But, at difference what was usual in this season, he wasn't the encharged to apport jokes to the episode. That role in this episode was... vacant, frankly. His behavior is another sample of how repetitive were they with the thematic. Is he a kleptomaniac? Well, we always knew he "borrowing" things of Flanders. But this time he not only stole the cable. He also takes office items and he even stole some mugs from Moe, one of his best friends. One thing I always disliked from earlier seasons is the attitude that Homer has over Marge sometimes. Why is Homer so authoritarian with Marge? It is assumed that in a marriage the decisions are made as a couple. What the hell is that of putting his foot down? Where come that machismo from? And the worst thing is when Homer tries to blame Marge for the illegal connection with the police when he apparently was in problems. It's just a quote. But it's an awful one. I never understand why nobody has talked about that. It's one of the ugliest things Homer tried to do And, finally, why Homer changes his mind so abruptly? And why he takes Bart desperately with him? They could easily watch the fight and then disconnect the cable. I can't believe what I will say, but I would rather a Homer/Marge conflict instead of what we had, with the already mentioned wrong characterization of Lisa and those bad marriage scenes. We probably would avoid that scenes of the supermarket too, although it was the only moment when they tried to satirize the moral they always predicated, it neither was well-executed.
919775.jpg

Instead talk about the problems as a normal marriage, just put your foot down.

But, although I didn't like either the execution, nor the pacing, nor the jokes, nor characterizations, nor the satire, there are little things I actually enjoyed. I loved the man who installed the cable. He was a great character. It's a shame he didn't appear in other minor roles again. His interventions were always interesting, especially when he manipulates Homer. Also, his tone and his face when he says "even better" in reference to Homer's neighbor's absence of his home show what a great character he is. By the way, another insignificant thing I enjoyed more than what I should was the pamphlet that that guy gave to Homer: "So You Decided to Steal Cable". Those myths and facts are a delicate critic to cable companies, who usually offered mediocre and repetitive content. Another little thing I want to highlight is the fight between Watson and Tatum. My favorite gag of the entire episode is the dedication of the fight by both boxers to the memory of the Manager of one of them, which led to an instant brawl. I also loved the last scene. The disconnection of the cable and the cut to the credit scene was an incredibly smart way to finish the episode. Those simply end of some episodes earlier seasons were always pleasant. Oh, and there was a genuinely awesome animation. When Moses appears, when Lisa sees the Devil, when Homer imagines him into the jail. All those scenes had impressive colored and shadows. It's fair to remark on the work of Rich Moore and his team.
1215273.jpg

Excellent, awesome work in animation.

As often, Emmy winning-episodes is not between the best of their respective seasons. And Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment is not the exception. An episode with a good message and a few interesting details, but with a constant moralism, with a lack of jokes/emotion, with questionable characterization and with less opportunity to make a satire against cable companies. But they didn't bite the hand that fed them. I am going to commit a worse sin than steal: give a standard rating to a 90s Simpson episode.

3/5

Last edited:
Bart gets introduced to porn. Then tries to make a quick buck out of it. Dirty, dirty little boy.

"You're watching `Top Hat Entertainment'. Adult programming all day, every day. (Except in Florida and Utah.) Coming up next, `Stardust Mammaries'..."

This is a really good episode. Homer's gradual guilt about having illegal cable is really well done. And it's smart that a fear of getting caught is not the only reason he decides to get rid of the cable since he's not in any danger of getting caught. Adding the angle of Lisa losing respect for Homer makes his change make more sense. And there's even some social commentary about how normalized stealing has become in society with Marge being called out at the grocery store for wanting to pay for the two grapes she ate.

And the episode is decently funny. It's not one of the funniest of the show, but the jokes are consistent and keep the episode constantly entertaining. 8/10

I would say that this is another good second season episode. Probably not one of my very top favorites of the season, but certainly among the all good ones, of which there are many. So in this story we have Homer stealing cable TV (in the sense of having it illegally hooked up to the family's TV after stopping the cable guy who is told off by Ned Flanders is driving off) and and the main part of the episode is Lisa having a conflict with really big moral issues about stealing (after having been scared by Sunday school telling about heaven and hell the Ten Commandments, such as the eight one; "You shalt not steal") while the rest of the family enjoy their new, big selection of channels. The episode is a little outdated now with the bigness cable TV was a very 90's thing but as a story tackling morals and having a lot of good moments and jokes it is still a good one.

It begins well with the 1220 B.C. scene with Moses announcing his commandments to the people, of which there's a thieving Homer lookalike (great way to open the episode). Then there's the funny bit of Homer hearing about the cable guy offering free cable and rushing out to stop him, nearly getting run over (nice parody of 'North by Northwest'), getting the cable and the family starts to nicel get aquainted with the channels. Lisa's morality tale starts well with the Sunday school and growing anxieties of the family's thievery, and cannot bring herself to support them (her talk with Lovejoy I liked as well). The conflict she has with Homer is pretty good (if kinda simplistic and maybe a little preachy with her going far with her pious attitude, especially as she makes a scene at the supermarket as Marge samples two grapes, but it is done well and understandable; Lisa can be a superstitious and moral child and early Lisa was more immature so I buy her characterization).

There's some nice stuff with the family watching cable, including a nice, fun little subplot of Bart discovering adult entertainment TV (and even letting fellow boys come and pay to watch) and Homer trying to get him to stop watching these adult shows (also trying to tell him that that kinds of media isn't for him yet) & the main event, which is Homer planning on and eventually inviting his friends and much of the town to come watch the hyped-up boxing match with Drederick Tatum against (which in itself leads to some enjoyable bits about the boxing and Tatum). The cable guy coming back and offering Homer to buy a car stereo (obviously stolen) was pretty amusing and all kinds of Springfielders coming to the Simpson home to watch the boxing match was entertaining and had some good, fun moments (such as Mr. Burns coming over and his entrance in the living room scaring Lenny and Carl, I think, away to give place for him; I always found that funny).

I did like the end of Lisa protesting by staying outside and Marge joins her, Homer starts to feel bad seeing them (and Maggie) outside and makes his decision to skip the match (dragging Bart with him) and joining the rest of the family while the Springfielders enjoys the game (and promising to cut the cable after the match is over). I very much liked how they all came together in the end as as a family, despite the disagreement, and maybe it is a little manipulative but not tackily or syrupy so and for me, it completely works as and end to the conflict (and I never thought Lisa was that bad here; outside of the supermarket scene she wasn't that forceful). Then the match ends and the people go home (I love the brief interaction between Apu and Burns, two characters who have barely directly interacted since this) and Homer climbs up the nearest telephone pole and cuts the cable wire (despite Bart's heartfelt protests); I especially liked how the joke, with Homer cutting the wrong wire twice, blacking out the neighborhood before getting it right, suitably cuing static as the story ends).

So again, this is a pretty solid episode that I always liked. It has a nice plot tackling the morality of stealing, many very good jokes and gags & has got something for essentially the whole Simpson family to do, as well as good parts for the supporting characters. Even aside from the morality play (which I think could have been done even better later on in the classic era) there's a lot going on in this episode to be enjoyed, some maybe even stronger than the Lisa plot thread it has (and the animation looks amazing in this episode, having a lot of great shots, uses of colors and fantasy sequences; also the Ten Commandments opening). Not an very favorite of mine, especially compared to before, but still an fine episode.

I'll give it an 4/5

Last edited:
At times, recently, I've seen this classic episode become more and more underrated than ever before, and I can get why, with the outdatedness of pirated cable TV, and that analog is pretty much dead with the exception of a few channels (which will be dead by June/July?) but the jokes in this makes this a laugh riot. Bart managing to pirate a porno channel had to be my favorite bit of the episode, the start was great as well, a truly brilliant episode. 5/5.

Back