• 5/5: Brings new meaning to the word 'classic'

Votes: 88 53.0%
  • 4/5: Doesn't bring new meaning to the word 'classic', but still great

Votes: 59 35.5%
  • 3/5: Neither here nor there

Votes: 16 9.6%
  • 2/5: Oh dear. Oh DEAR, oh dear.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 1/5: I'm ashamed that I ever attempted to watch this.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wezzo

wreck on the highway
A just-above average ep, IMO. 3.5/5. Nice plot, executed fairly.

your opinions are very disheartening and disturbing, Wezzo

A+++

From the rate/review every day thread -

"Homer vs Lisa & the 8th Commandment is as equally good if not better than both of the episodes that came before it (The Way We Was, Blowfish). Yes, it's a episode with a moral, which puts a lot of bizarre people off for some bizarre reason. But as Cauldron said, it's never preachy in the slightest. This is a deftly written, multi-layered, astonishingly astute masterpiece, in which the social commentary and exploration of its main issues is intertwined perfectly with the characters of the Simpson family. The way in which stealing is displayed as an intrinsic part of everyday life - with Homer hiding the stuff from Moes and the plant, Homer's comments to Apu, the scene at the supermarket, the cops - is wonderfully done and never looks forced or contrived. There are many more complex themes and motifs in this episode which are too numerous to go into here, so I'll just leave it with how i left the other two ep reviews - this ep has a perfect blend of humor, emotion and meaning, is truly timeless, and easily makes my top 20 list. Oh yes, and its parodies of cable TV are a million times smarter and funnier than the parodies of cable TV from a certain recent episode....."

I believe it was in my top 10 in the list i sent Cosmo Kramer.

Last edited:
"astonashingly astute masterpiece"?! That scares ME.

This episode gets a 4/5 for me. It's not one of my absoloute favourites, but it was still pretty good.

Wezzo said:
"astonashingly astute masterpiece"?! That scares ME.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaagggggghhh!!

Not that I'm expecting a substantial answer from you or anything, but could you perhaps go into why this episode was only "just-above-average" and "fair"?

*scared*

An typical *****AVERAGE***** ep from an *****AVERAGE***** season. Too much character, not funny enough, pretty good plot.

9/10

Great episode that marked the beginning of Lisa's many moral crusades. Unlike the later seasons however, Lisa expresses her feelings without ever being intrusive on others (sitting outside of the Simpson house in silent protest was a great example). Like Jafar said, some of the show's best use of surrealism is put into play here (Homer thinking about his sins, Lisa in Hell, etc.).

Wezzo said:

*scared*

An typical *****AVERAGE***** ep from an *****AVERAGE***** season. Too much character, not funny enough, pretty good plot.

"pretty good" plot? "pretty good"? I suppose Homer somehow becoming obsessed with Thomas Edison for some reason then going to smash a chair for some reason is like something sent from the heavens? "Too much character, not funny enough" = too much intelligence, not enough random craziness. Kill yourself Wezzo! Aww, go on. ;)

season 2 is the king and I am its guardian who stands at the foot of its throne poking all its puny critics with sharp objects

Mohammed Jafar said:
1."pretty good" plot? "pretty good"? I suppose Homer somehow becoming obsessed with Thomas Edison for some reason then going to smash a chair for some reason is like something sent from the heavens? 2."Too much character, not funny enough" = too much intelligence, not enough random craziness. 3.Kill yourself Wezzo! Aww, go on. ;)

4.season 2 is the king and I am its guardian who stands at the foot of its throne poking all its puny critics with sharp objects

1. yes. yes it is.
2. yes.
3. only if you pay for my funeral.
4. don't talk crap.

If it makes Mohammed Jafar feel better, I really like this episode for its spot on social commentary and humor that makes you think, and doesn't preach or teach any morals. It leaves the viewer to decide for themselves whether stealing is wrong or not. But if you don't know if it's wrong or not, then you probably need a big seeing-to. The only thing I can see that is not faultless about this episode is that the animation isn't perfect, but this is Season Two, and I don't watch The Simpsons for its animation.

Aren't you thinking of the similarly titled episode "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment"?

Anyway, this episode gets a 5/5 from me. (so does 4F15)

George Cauldron said:
The only thing I can see that is not faultless about this episode is that the animation isn't perfect, but this is Season Two, and I don't watch The Simpsons for its animation.

It's funny you should say that. I was watching this episode the other day and found the animation to be very good for it's time. By season two standards the it's probably as close to perfection as perfection came. The numerous fantasy and dream sequences still hold their own today. Very ambitious but pulled off superbly.

As for the actual content of the episode, I think Jafar pretty much said it all. Not the best of the season but pretty darn close. Definetely deserving of the Emmy it won.

10/10

Last edited:
Pretty nice episode, Plenty of laughs throughout and had a very nice ending, 4.5/5.

Miguel Sanchez said:
Aren't you thinking of the similarly titled episode "Homer vs. the Eighteenth Amendment"?

Anyway, this episode gets a 5/5 from me. (so does 4F15)

No, I put 18 being confused, but I DO mean Homer Vs Lisa and the 8th Commandment. Sorry.

*sigh* Wezzo, Wezzo, Wezzo...what're we going to do with you? :(

"Homer vs. Lisa and the 8th Commandment" is a brilliant episode in so many ways. I love the way it deals with its message and how it comments on it. It's not loudly forced but it isn't so hazy that you can't understand what the writers are trying to say. I love the way Lisa involves herself in it, and her line, "Dad, we may have saved your soul" is just perfect. Also, the humor is spot-on in this episode. It's down-right hilarious. This is by far one of the best episodes ever (not sure if it was in my top ten though...I think it was...) which fully forms everything we love about the Simpsons: smart commentary, smart humor, and smart characterization. 5/5

so there are 18 commandments now, eh?

great episode, stands out as one of the best of S2 among a competitive group. 5/5 for sure

No, you're confused.

"I was confused"
"You sure are"

Does that make sense? No.

Jokes generally make sense.

But i got ya.

And you were right :D

Back