Rate and Review Futurama: ''Meanwhile'' (True Series Finale)

Ending the Show In 3, 2, 1... BLAST OFF!

• Total voters
I've only seen a couple of episodes from this season, but I couldn't miss this one. And it was a great episode, and definitely one of my favourites. I was almost in tears, but not quite. My only problem with it was that we didn't really get a final moment with the entire gang. They just kinda froze and that was it. Still, a fantastic episode that I have no problem giving full marks to. Also, I have to say that the music was really good in this and definitely had a final episode vibe to it. So, yeah, a great ending. Except that it's not the ending because of the Simpsons crossover. :mad:

Last edited:
Perfect Ending to one of the greatest shows ever... after seeing that I felt like I want to see what happens next in Futurama, that I wanted more of Futurama afterwards but also felt like at the same time that Futurama should leave it to that perfect ending, and just leave it right their... May Futurama's glory live long and prosper, people ...

Meanwhile_infobox.png

Last edited:
The continuous building fall was massively entertaining, as was the ending, but a lot of it was overly sappy and had jokes that were about on par with the rest of the season "This is so sudden after 13 years!" is a good example. But it was good, and though not the best episode of the season, or best finale, it didn't leave too much closure like a good finale should in my eyes (since the universe starts all over again, I was afraid they weren't going to do that) and it featured all the characters doing what they do. Except Scruffy I guess. 3.5/5.

it was a well-meaning little episode, and it helped that it was funnier than most futurama episodes. but the fry/leela relationship i could swear has just been playing on a loop these past years... sometimes they're together, sometimes they're not. i didn't even know they were together (though i haven't exactly been following the series all that much).

so whilst it was nice to see fry and leela happy together, i really feel like we've seen it all before. hence, them getting together doesn't really feel as conclusive as it should.

but, to be fair, there was little else they could do for a finale at this point, and it had its funny moments (all two of them). and i guess it was a little bit sweet (but really, was it worthy of tears? no). so it wasn't all bad. if i had to grade it, 3/5.

My only issue with the episode, after watching it again, is the relatively simple and thin characterization of Fry and Leela. Also, the sidelining of all the characters for a straightforward Fry/Leela happily ever after story. Still pretty much owns almost every CC-episode in the humor, interesting concept, and entertainment value.

Okay I'm deducting points for the "we'll have to reset the universe with no memories of what happened" ending. So they end up stuck in an infinite loop with the time button always breaking? That's sort of like "The Late Philip J. Fry" written by somebody who missed the point of that episode's message.

This'll need a rewatch...

Who else, poster of the year [MENTION=52184]Bart The Lover[/MENTION].

This is the first new Futurama that I've watched in a while and, honestly, I quite liked it. It was a decent finale but, at times, felt like a finale by numbers. Start with a callback to first meeting, resolve big running plotline, sappy ending. A very obvious way for it to play out. The central premise also borrowed heavily from past glories (Late Philip J Fry) and that was slightly grating on me because I feel like the tone of the episodes was incredibly similar.
It's fine though because despite how rigidly it sticks to the formula and retreads old ground, I enjoyed a lot of the emotional moments. I'd struggle to say whether the characterisation of Fry and Leela are off because that has always felt inconsistent as fuck to me.
It made me laugh a bunch of times and I thought the emotional scenes hit the right note more often than not (while retaining an ever so slightly too sincere sappiness on occasion).
One thing that I will note is that I felt like they missed a scene at the end. Just something with the whole gang post-reset button. It ended a little abruptly.
Good episode, some minor concerns that I'm willing to overlook because it's the last ever Futurama and I enjoyed it quite a lot in spite of them.

Copy paste from my PEELIFIED post:

Great finale! 5/5

I'm surprised, however, that many people believe that following the "reset", the universe starts over or the series starts over. The Professor clearly says the rest will occur when he conceives of the time button. So... potentially just as Meanwhile begins, so too does the reset. So really, they're trapped in a loop of Meanwhile, not the entirety of the series.

I watched the episode again to see if Farnsworth made mention of conceiving the time button 13 years ago or something, but nope.

In that event, it's a great open-ended yet conclusive finale. Should the series never return, Meanwhile loops for infinity and Fry and Leela spend their lives together forever. Should the series return, they work out a sci-fi twist. Perhaps things don't go exactly the same the second time and time continues as it does. Fry proposes to Leela in real time and they marry in real time.

I will say that I loved this MUCH more than The Devil's Hands. I do like that episode a lot, but it isn't my favorite of the series and it not my favorite finale.

So here we are, the actual finale of Futurama! (prob...probably)

All in all, I'm very pleased with how it wrapped up, and with the last few episodes of this run in particular. Just when I thought I'd be fine with the show ending, it suddenly hits a hot streak and reminds me why I fell in love with this world in the first place. And Meanwhile may have been the strongest episode of the season.

What surprised me with this show was how clever and funny it was. I was expecting sentimentality, but the 10-second Time Button is a great sci-fi concept on par with the universe-in-a-box, the backwards aging spa, the forward time machine, and the time skips, making for a really clever half-hour. It started off fairly innocuously, but the moon revisiting was a solid idea and gave a nice change from the show's frequent look back at the pilot. I loved the bit with Leela surviving on the balloon's air, and especially the "Oh. Then there is no bad news" exchange.

Fry's perpetual fall from the building was one of the darkest, most intense, and outright funniest scenes in the show's history, I'd say, with the ridiculousness of the situation only building and building (his comfort in Leela's horrified "FRY!", him losing the button, the repeated splats, gradually telling Leela what happened before dying again and again). It was a really dire dilemma, and done in a compelling way where I really didn't know how they'd resolve it.

Also, to make things potentially worse, Fry would eventually die from the fall. Since the button takes 10 seconds to recharge, and he never pressed it IMMEDIATELY after it was ready, he'd slowly push that ten second window up later and later until...splat!

So eventually things work out, except that Fry and Leela are now free in a frozen world, stuck in that one sunset moment that Fry ironically wanted to last forever. Parts of this sequence reminded me a little of the Stop the World THOH segment, but it had a bit more of a surreal, poignant feel to it throughout. I do agree that Fry and Leela's characters weren't particularly deep in this one, but I think the focus was more on telling a creative sci-fi story with a romance twist, so I didn't mind so much. The characters already love each other, so it's not like there're any more romantic hurdles to overcome (just crazy time-related ones). Fry's decision to jump from the building did feel a little rushed and dramatic, but I can see why they wanted to start the main crux of the story ASAP. I do think this episode would've benefitted from being an hour long; there were some big ideas here.

The professor at the end was a bit of a deus ex machina, although I suppose this does indeed imply a "Meanwhile" loop for the rest of eternity. Which is sort of poetic for Fry and Leela, at least, but unfortunate for the rest of the crew, who have to eternally spend life trapped in that time dome rescuing Fry over and over.

All in all, a great episode and one of my favorite finales--not just of Futurama, but any show. Not sure if I like it more than Robot's Hands (a solid ep in its own right, but not quite one of my favorites), but it was good enough to make me sad that it was ending. Oh my, yes.

Thanks for the years of laughter and tears, Futurama! You went out with class once again. A-

Great finale ending to the series, not much to complain about. Altrough I feel like it could've been a bit more. Fry splattering to death is too Family Guy'ish, and the Fry/Leela relationship could've been explored a little better.

Overall a well deserved 4/5

R.I.P. Futurama, looking forward to see you in the crossover!

Perfect Ending to one of the greatest shows ever... after seeing that I felt like I want to see what happens next in Futurama, that I wanted more of Futurama afterwards but also felt like at the same time that Futurama should leave it to that perfect ending, and just leave it right their... May Futurama's glory live long and prosper, people ...

Meanwhile_infobox.png
In all honesty I would have been happy if the show ended with them walking through the ocean into the sunset. None of the stuff to restore it to status quo in case the show got renewed again.

I think the supporting characters gradually faded out on purpose because the core of the show is Fry and Leela's relationship. And I'm glad they did it that way. We got to end the show with the most important characters, and there was no instance of "Hey, THERE'S Bender, Hermes, Amy and Zoidberg. Let's all party!"

I didn't get the emotional punch I hoped for, but still pretty good. 4/5. I liked how, although the episode took place over like 100 years or how ever old people live in the 3000s, a major chunk of it took place over a short amount of time.

"At least I have Leela's comforting scream to look forward to" (paraphrased) = easily the best line of the night.

Copied from B&R:

"Decent finale. I'm glad it ended on a sweet moment for Fry and Leela finally even if I wanted to see more of everybody, as well. It was more fitting that after all the episodes regarding their relationship, it just ends with them being in love, happy, and together. I didn't think I'd actually care about it but it was touching to see Leela in her wedding dress. I don't know that I like it as much as Devil's Hands but I also feel like I do? I dunno.

In any case, like I mentioned before in here, the worst I could say about the recent episodes is some of them just really bored me. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll enjoy a future rewatch of everything including the movies, even though I don't like those stupid nude aliens (but I like the movie itself)."

I loved this episode. There's a lot to talk about that are interesting that I don't really feel like going over... the humor (top notch), the sappiness (which maybe went too far by the Eiffel Tower), the pacing, the use of the characters, the callbacks, and whether the episode did justice to whatever elements of the show we personally think are most important. I'm very pleased with those, though the fact of it being the last episode probably helped shield me from being so critical.

Now, there's one thing I do want to talk about. The outlandishly stupid idea of a time button was both so huge and ridiculous that I simultaneously loved it and became very skeptical. I loved the scientific explanations behind the episodes of yore; they struck the perfect balance of sci-fi and absurd hilarity. They cheekily sent the message that the whole story unfolding before your eyes (and maybe the whole of Futurama) is just a vehicle for your enjoyment and for your consideration. And this crazy concoction of a time button upped it all tenfold. I mean, it's a small clicker that acts so powerfully on the universe that it's unfair, and there are immediately a million things that could go wrong and a trillion more possibilities for what it means to have a universe in which anyone can do weird things to the whole of the universe's time, not to mention all the contradictions to the series' previous dozen weird scientific explanations for time, time travel, chronotons, and so on. There were also a bunch of questionable events that came from using the time button and the immunity bubbles, Fry and Leela having a conversation while Fry's falling, just to name one. The wonkiness of the episode's sci-fi concept is more or less standard fare for the show, and the issues that arise almost aren't worth even talking about.

So yeah, pointing out the bigness and absurdity of the time button was a roundabout way to pose that the craziness of "breaking the universe" broke and opened Futurama up infinitely, and beautifully. (Wasn't this show written by that jerk who thought up Principal and the Pauper?) The whole premise -- a button that the user pushes to alter or redo the history of the universe endlessly -- is somewhat reminiscent of the idea (and philosophy) that all permutations of the universe do exist, in a way that sort of detaches the viewer from any one particular permutation playing out as "real life" or as the real narrative. After all, the episode ends with Fry and Leela agreeing to hit the big red retcon button, looking fondly on the life they've lived but ready in an instant to throw it all away and let another reality to the forefront. It makes you almost indifferent to which one really is the real one anyway.

And I think it's a cute way for the writers of the show to tip their hand: Just as we see our favorite characters standing lifelessly as dolls with time standing still, able to be placed on an altar or as links on a swingset, every Futurama episode begins with the writers looking at a frozen series universe, picking up the lifeless Bender and Amy dolls from wherever the last writer left them, playing with them, and making a new adventure. Even though there's a loose continuity, episode after episode is an isolated universe and a unique story, an encapsulated day in the life of any of the zillion possible Futurama universes the writers decided to take us to. I think this episode helped to share really get across the perspective that, whether the series is done or not (hint: it's done), Futurama will always live on in those 140 episodes and beyond.

Wow, that ending... I don't even know what to think of the ending. I'm gonna go cry now....

I wasn't blown away, but I thought it was good enough to be the finale. It was a bit depressing, though, and too emotional for my liking. Fry and Leela growing old together was kind of uncomfortable to sit through for me. Not only is that an incredibly hackneyed cliche, but it was also disgustingly saccharine. I am not a romantic kind of guy at all, and anytime romance is involved it has to be done just right for me to find it enjoyable. Honestly, I would have preferred a more action-filled season finale (action being something Futurama has done fairly well in the past, at least whenever they haven't overdone it or crammed it somewhere where it wasn't appropriate).

What I liked the most about this episode was the fact that it dealt with the subject of time, a very interesting subject that Futurama has dealt with many times before, but they seem to always be able to use it in a fresh way. And I really liked what they did with it in this episode. Also, the physics of time is something I enjoy thinking about (even though I am about as qualified as a watermelon to form hypotheses on the subject), and I like that they put an effort to try to explain it in a way that makes sense (it at least makes sense to me, maybe not to a theoretical physicist).

Overall, this was a good episode, even if I didn't enjoy all of it. It is good for a 4/5 on the poll.

I don't think I've ever been more torn over an episode. It was good, I know that much, but how good.
Humour wise, it was probably in the bottom half of this season. I chuckled a few times, but since the last four episodes have each made me laugh out loud repeatedly, I was hoping for a bit more. Ultra Guy squeezing the rocks into diamonds was great, and I there was some kind of splutter laugh when I first saw the Fry mush.
Plot and pacing wise, it was great, up until the end. It seemed slightly cop-out-y and rushed, not helped by me noticing that when the Professor appeared, I checked the running time and there was less than 30 seconds left of the episode. I don't mind there being a reset button at all, I love it when I'm emotionally invested enough to be mad at the writers for such a swerve, after all, isn't that one of the main reasons why Time Keeps on Slippin' is so beloved? But this one just didn't seem to have as big of an impact.
I'll hold off on rating it for now. I imagine it'll be a 4/5.

I'd like to revise my viewpoint....

IF, and I mean, IF this wasn't the final episode, I'd really like it. The 'cop out' of this being a potential hiccup/looping in the space time continuum that is episodic would've made for a great episode. It'd be a great episode for a what-if future if the world was messed up and only Leela and Fry existed in it. However, as the 'official' ending, I can't like it as much because there's no conclusion to anything. As a fan fiction nerd, I would've loved to see an actual future where they have kids and there's some concrete future "future" to give sense that the journey is complete, but as long as the show might be renewed, eh...

Maybe for the actual 'final' episode Fry from 20 years into the future goes back in time and has to prevent himself from marrying Leela because their being together will destroy the universe, or something... (apologies if that plot has been done before.)

are the comics still good? i have two early compilations and that's about all i've read, they were pretty nice.

Not a fan of most of season 7, but this episode was really sweet and definitely the best of the season. 4.5/5 A- rounded up to 5/5 for poll

Like Judge Fudge, my only gripe with this episode is that we never got a final moment with the entire gang. I would have loved to see everyone, even some of the side characters, together and actually have everyone aware of the fact that they were at the wedding. It would have been cool to see what Fry's and Leela's children would have looked like and how everyone progressed through the next several decades. I do understand that Fry and Leela were the most important characters to focus on though, and that the ending keeps things open just in case the show gets to come back.

Other than that, I loved this episode and I think it was great that Fry and Leela had happy lives together and even got a second round of it. I also loved the classical music piece that played throughout part of the episode. This was the best series finale of any show I've ever followed. While I missed most of the show's run as a viewer, I am glad I got to see the entire series before it got cancelled.

I imagine the comics are going to keep being produced... right?

Well, I bought a Simpsons comic the other day for the first time in years and saw an advert in the back for this one
Futurama_Comic_67.jpg

Something about time travel and Zoidberg having to save the world...new logo fucking sucks too.

yeah i don't understand why bongo started to simplify its logos

I thought the comics were alright. I haven't caught up to them, but they're not as bad as some of the recent episodes.

Also, funny how a Futurama comic with a big time tunnel on the front of it came out just a few days before "Meanwhile" aired.

I guess I was spoiled by The Devil's Hands, because this one felt underwhelming as a finale. In that regard, it was more a typical episode. Maybe that's the best way for the show to head off the air; something sweet, genuine and unassuming. Fry and Leela have had a great relationship together, and I did almost tear up when I saw the two aging together. Then the professor showed up and deus ex machina'd the whole thing. Took away a lot of the emotion for me; I hate when the characters seem to survive damn-near-impossible odds just because.... television.

At any rate, I don't believe this is the end; I've been skeptic for a while that the show is actually at its end, and I don't just mean the crossover with The Simpsons. I have no way of knowing this, nor do I have any influence on the decision, but I'm convinced that Futurama will return in quite another capacity. If, by some grand unlikelihood that that was indeed the last episode of Futurama, then I'm glad to have been a part of its wonderful run, and I'm glad the series went off not with a bang, not with a whimper, but with a dignified bow.

Back