Rate and Review: "Elementary School Musical" (MABF21)

How do you rate "Elementary School Musical?"

• 5/5: Musical Legacy

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • 4/5: Hit-Maker

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • 3/5: One-Hit Wonder

Votes: 55 26.7%
  • 2/5: Cover Band

Votes: 68 33.0%
  • 1/5: South Park Already did it!

Votes: 55 26.7%

• Total voters
This episode was complete shit, it amazes me that anyone enjoyed this. Why isn't anybody doing anything about this?

Do what? The clusterfuck known as the writer's room made fun of the fanbase for not luuuvvving their work in the past, and I'm sure they'll do it again. The narrow minded, spoiled, enititlment they have towards the fans not only shows in interviews, it's in the work they put out, too.

Last edited:
Well, that was awful.

2/5, generously.

The Simpsons isn't a sitcom anymore, it's the revived zombie corpse of a once-great TV show. And Groening and co. will do whatever it takes to keep money flowing from it as long as possible.

I haven't seen it explained anywhere, and this might be better served in the Q&A thread, but does anyone know how that last video proved Krusty was a good-hearted guy? The best guess I can make is that he inadvertently helped someone out through quitting the production he was on...?

I thought the joke was it wasn't even inadvertent. Krusty just happened to be in South Africa earlier that week, and they (without any effort) convinced the judge that it was because of Krusty that Mandela was freed or apartheid ended or whatever.

So this was the first Simpsons I let my kids watch - and we only got through the first 2/3 yesterday. Tonight we finished it - and I realized how ironic the Moe gag when he says, "I'm glad that little kid left - cause this is going to go to a very dark place." was.

On first view I was looking forward to hearing Moe take it to a dark place.

Any idea where this could have gone?

M@

So this was the first Simpsons I let my kids watch - and we only got through the first 2/3 yesterday. Tonight we finished it - and I realized how ironic the Moe gag when he says, "I'm glad that little kid left - cause this is going to go to a very dark place." was.

On first view I was looking forward to hearing Moe take it to a dark place.

Any idea where this could have gone?

M@

I'd say it'd gone to a better song with deep lyrics and emotional understanding. If it did continue, your kids would be holding it in their memories for years to come.

Also you should get your kids to watch some classic Simpsons episodes. In those times, The Simpsons was edgy, so edgy that parents wouldn't let their kids watch it.

Started off pretty funny, but by the time Lisa had ran away or whatever, it no longer had my attention. The Consulers started off great but quickly became the same joke over and over. It had potential, but they just didn't really go anywhere unpredictable or unique with it at all; almost as if they wanted to be super convential, inoffenseive and just plain boring.

The animation is mad stiff too.

Last edited:
The Krusty joke is simple really. The fact he wasn't in the fundraiser is the reason Mandela was released.

It's basically a jab at him just being so bad that his only contribution to western civilization is excusing himself from constructive things.

I guess the writing staff can get away with this as along as the ratings are good. It's just sad to see that the show has become everything it used to mock, especially the total surrender to Fox. The writers and the showrunners can't be proud of this. Will be interesting to see what happens when the ratings go below acceptable. Does anyone have a link to some interviews where the writers or others involved with the show responds to critisicm from the internet?

I guess the writing staff can get away with this as along as the ratings are good. It's just sad to see that the show has become everything it used to mock, especially the total surrender to Fox. The writers and the showrunners can't be proud of this. Will be interesting to see what happens when the ratings go below acceptable. Does anyone have a link to some interviews where the writers or others involved with the show responds to critisicm from the internet?

Matt Warburton: "I don't think the people on internet message boards are as funny as they were ten years ago... so I don't read them any more."

(From The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special: In 3D: On Ice!).

Ouch :oops:|

Haha, that's pretty weak, but I kind of agree with him. This is season 22 after all. At this point I really don't get why anyone would be upset, or even care that this episode blew chunks.

Matt Warburton: "I don't think the people on internet message boards are as funny as they were ten years ago... so I don't read them any more."

oh i see what he did there. see guys, it's a satirical jab. he's turning our own criticisms around on us. get it??

only problem is it's completely stupid considering it was never our jobs to be funny in the first place. i mean, what, does he stop going to the dentist if his dentist isn't funny? what a fucking idiot. it's his job to be funny, not ours

heh, true

first it was just message boarders, now it's asshole simpsons writers too. i'm getting it from both ends i tells ya!

Um, I think you guys are kinda taking that line out of context. It was a joke, nothing more, so there's not really any sense in making a big thing out of it like it was supposed to be fightin' words or whatever.

Let's all just calm down and such.

err... i was calm. i was just pointing out how his joke was hypocritical

if the board's allowed to analyse jokes on the show into the ground then what's the harm in deconstructing a joke by one of the writers. he says he doesnt read the forum anyway so it's not like he's gonna see our insults. it's win win

but whatever i was done anyway

Image42.gif

i'm starting to get into Glee, so i thought this episode was pretty cool. Also the two guys from Flight of the Conchords were funny. The segment where Lisa was in their ghetto neighborhood was pretty funny.

I don't understand why liking Glee would have any influence on your opinion of this episode. The Glee kids were there for one incredibly mediocre song and thats it. In fact, they were most likely shoe-horned into the episode.

Decided to watch it because frankly, I just can't resist watching the new episodes.

This episode was just a bunch of shit thrown together with easy answers to the plots. Nothing even remotely interesting, terribly unfunny, and the only good joke was the fat camp joggers. The songs performed obviously sucked, and the counselors were not funny at all. Starting this season off with a bang, huh Al?

F

Well, it was super-meh, maybe not terrible, but kinda boring.

It looked like an episode that was entirely done for the guest stars. Luckily the most prominent guest stars were The Flight Of Concords guys, who were sort of funny, and not the Glee cast. I've never seen FOC but I believe they have a humor that works better when you see the guys in person. Their gags here were sort of mixed and they generally spoke too much. I don't know if they gave them a name or they were supossed to be playing themselves or what.

Anyway, even though I prefer those guys to Glee, I found it pretty absurd to include Glee guest stars here just for one song. The presentation of the kids in the camp makes you think they are going to play a relevant role in the story and they don't do anything. They could have dropped the new kid characters entirely or just having them singing in the background but they give them a very distinct aspect for nothing.

The way they introduced Lisa story is so similar to How I Spent My Strummer Vacation that is almost ridiculous.

Most of Lisa's story semmed very shallow and stereotypical like a poor version of every Lisa story since Moaning Lisa Blues.

I liked Largo's singing rant, though, and Otto's scene, because the joke was that he's a bad driver and not that he was stoned, for once.

The subplot wasn't a bad idea, I like the Polanski reference, but the development was meh as well. I enjoyed the Region 1/ Region 2 gag and not much more.

Both list jokes were filler, too long and not especially funny.

The animation was pretty poor, lifeless and boring to watch, though maybe not as terrible as I could have expected after watching the clip of the first song.

Generous 3/5.

Seriously if they can't do it better this season is going to be pure mediocrity and boredom. None of the plots we know sound too interesting to me, except for the Simpson as puppets segment which looks like a cool idea.

Anyway, even though I prefer those guys to Glee, I found it pretty absurd to include Glee guest stars here just for one song. The presentation of the kids in the camp makes you think they are going to play a relevant role in the story and they don't do anything. They could have dropped the new kid characters entirely or just having them singing in the background but they give them a very distinct aspect for nothing.
Nothing except (a) being able to run commercials saying that "the cast of Glee" would be on the show, so a considerable number of "Gleeks" would tune in (and then complain that (a) only three actors sang, (b) they were only on for a minute or so, and (c) the characters looked nothing like their Glee counterparts, especially the background singer in the wheelchair (who wasn't wearing glasses)), and (b) a song that they can sell on iTunes.

-- Don

First episode ever I couldn't watch till the end (I also skipped some part of The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed to be frank).
But seriously, I have all the season DVDs and have been a huge fun of the show ever since I can remember. But this was just beyond my tolerance. Mainly because of the music, which I just couldn't listen (hate today's music trends anyway). That accompanied with the Simpsons is something I want quickly to be erased from my memory...
Done.
Hopefully next episode is back to normal.

Back