• 2/5

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Drunk Barney

Stonecutter
Edit:

I re-watched this after several years and have to say it was pretty awful for classic standards. It felt like a Saturday morning cartoon with some cheap political jokes. The first act was pretty solid - I liked the reference back to "the big ugly head" and the table five song was great. But after that I found the whole thing dull and tedious. Bart wasn't funny - he was just annoying. The fight scene was unfunny and I just found the whole thing to a great big bore. Maybe I need to learn more about US 1990's politics to appreciate this episode. Being a left winger I suspect I would of hated Bush. If he was anything like his son then I would of detested him! I enjoyed and got the reference to the tax hike though. All in all - medicore. Although to be fair I have seen this one to death so maybe I just killed the fun out of it. 2/5.

Last edited:
Funny, very funny. Hardly sophisticated, but very good for a laugh when you need it. I hope to see an episode when Bush Jr gets his time.

4/5 They should do something similar to Bush Jr.

D´oh! George Cauldron said the same thing !

George Cauldron said:
Funny, very funny. Hardly sophisticated, but very good for a laugh when you need it. I hope to see an episode when Bush Jr gets his time.
Second. 4/5.

I don't really like this one much -- basically, the joke is "What if Dennis the Menace was Bart and Mr. Wilson was a former President," and the calculated pointlessness of it all wears thin -- but like a lot of Oakley/Weinstein episodes, it gets points for trying something different and unusual. I miss the way, in the Mirkin and Oakley/Weinstein episodes, they would do unique episodes with a consistent style throughout the 22 minutes. After Oakley and Weinstein left, this hasn't really happened ("Trilogy of Error" certainly has a unique approach, but much of it is standardized gags that could fit into any episode).

Incidentally, Wes Archer, who directed this episode, picked this one in an interview as his favorite of all the TV episodes he'd directed -- and when you consider that Archer was with The Simpsons from the Tracey Ullman days, and is supervising director of King of the Hill (and also directed two Futuramas), that's pretty impressive.

Pretty good episode. It had great jokes and the plot was pretty solid. Barts role in the whole thing was also great. Overall, a 4/5 episode.

I personally love this episode. Maybe its because it mocks Bush, maybe because I've always loved the garage sale and Gerry Ford scenes, or maybe I'm just remembering the episode as being funnier than it really was, but I give it a 5/5.

Probably one of the worst of the season, but that isn't a bad thing. It belongs in seasons five or eight if you think about. Great for a few laughs, a classic example of an Anti-Scully outing. B

Here in America, they are called "neighbors".
I give it a 5/5. The "Dennis the Menace" theme made it hilarious which #41 defiantely could fill the roll of Mr. Wilson and Barbara can fill the roll of Mrs. Wilson to a 't'.
My favorite (not favourite) part is when nobody at the neighborhood sale remembered who they were.

Commander McCool said:
Here in America, they are called "neighbors".
I give it a 5/5. The "Dennis the Menace" theme made it hilarious which #41 defiantely could fill the roll of Mr. Wilson and Barbara can fill the roll of Mrs. Wilson to a 't'.
My favorite (not favourite) part is when nobody at the neighborhood sale remembered who they were.

id give it a 4.5 / 5 but thats not on there so 4... great episode

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate This Episode

The first few minutes are alright, and hey, we get our introduction of Disco Stu. But the rest of the episode turns a potentially hilarious portrayal of a former president moving near OFF into something really stupid. For the record, the episode does not strike me as being political at all. It's just really unfunny and no doubt the biggest stinker in Season 7, and among the biggest stinkers in Oakley/Weinstein.

2/5

EDIT: Noticed how this thread is from 5 years ago, and how more recent discussions of this episode I've seen have quite a bit of backlash against it. Interesting shift.

It says in the commentaries that it's not supposed to be political, that it's a comment on Bush as being an old bastard, not a bad president

It says in the commentaries that it's not supposed to be political, that it's a comment on Bush as being an old bastard, not a bad president
An old bastard and a Simpson-hater(though I think he was a terrible president, but not as bad as his son). Just another reason to dislike the Bush family. ROTF, this episode was a nice punch in Bush's face for insulting the Simpsons on national TV. I'm surprised they haven't made many jokes about Bush Jr.

How do those in the UK feel about George Bush Sr?
Some of them use his dumb ass to discriminate all Americans. Oh, kind of like every other country. I don't have anything against the UK, I just wish there weren't so many people out there that think America is just a bunch of retards, hicks, and farmers in cowboy hats:rolleyes:.
EDIT: Crap, I double posted. Any admins around?

I have no huge issues with this episode. It's a little surreal I guess but the Dennis the Menace parody is amusing. 4/5

Back