Votes: 61 43.6%
  • 3/5 "Sorry, I wasn't paying attention"

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • 2/5 "Take the one who wronged you!"

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • 1/5 "It tries to warn you itself with it's terrible taste"

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
Could probably be a 4 but I guess I'm just not in a giving mood tonight. G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad is quite good save for perhaps the ending. Scary Tales has some funny moments but the plot is nothing special. Night of the Dolphins was weird but epic in a way. So 3/5.

ggghoust ddddad: it was the best of the 3, and I like the homer almost dieing so many times. some good humor sprinkled out, but there is still jerkass homer. B

scary tales...: Its basically like a darker shrek movie with simpson chsrscters. best jloke was " what? we could of sold them!" B-

day of the dolphin: it was gory, but not that funny. C+

Its not one of my favorite Halloween specials.
My least favorite segement has to be the Ghost dad one.
I didn't like how Homer got beat up by teens even though he's a ghost, weird.
I did like the Dolphin one, that segement cracked me up. I can't really remember the other one though. Over all, I give it a 4/5.

well i'm going back and watching season 12 just cause i feel like i don't really remember all the good stuff in it. so to start off, Treehouse of Horror XI.

first segment: G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad

ghostdad.jpg

favourite lines

"Nothing happened except for the pickaxe in my head, the rattlesnake bite and the testicle thing."

"Sure is easy when they're stiff like this.....and very sad."

strong segment. i give it a A.

second segment: Scary Tales Can Come True

baste.jpg

"At least stop basting yourself."

i just like homers voice coming out of that fish head.

homeregg.jpg

ending with an hilariously horrifying image. i give it a B+.

third segment: Night of the Dolphin

lenny.jpg

Lenny being killed is pretty disturbing.

water.jpg

great segment. one of my favourite endings of all time, i can't explain why, but i love the water scene. i give it a A.

episode overall: i give it a A-.

Surprisingly good.

1st: I enjoyed this one. It was the only segment that was properly funny ("uhh... I was pretty sure she was gunna be the next Hitler... good deed done?", Lenny being the 'attractive stranger') and generally paced well. B/B+

2nd: My least favourite segment of the the 3. George Cauldron was funny but the rest was fairly boring. Plus it was really short. C

3rd: Very odd... I sorta liked that it was actually trying to be scary, but I found it a bit boring to be honest. The plot is essentially just dolphins killing and fighting humans. Also not really funny. C/C+

-----

One solid segment + two "meh" segments = C+

G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad: A promising premise, but after a few good jokes it kind of wears thin.

Scary Tales Can Come True: The best segment of the three. The fairy tales aspect works really well.

The Night Of The Dolphin: One of the most disturbing segments in THOH history, some very dark humour indeed.

3/5

ghost dad is great, second one is decent, last one is just odd with no laughs

all in all, pretty, pretty good

3.25/5

Opening: Quite good. Good parody of horror movies.

G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad: Very hit and miss. On the other hand it has some funny moments like Ghost Homer eating the broccoli again, Homers "hello im pretty sure she was gonna be the next Hitler good deed done", Homers exchange with god. On the other hand the first few minutes are pretty much typical Jerkass Homer nonsense. It gets better later on but still nothing that great. Grade: C+

Scary Tales Can Come True: Another average segment. Gorge Couldron is classic and there are some other funny moments as well. Grade: C+

The Night Of The Dolphin: Like the first segment very hit and miss. A couple of eh moments but also some funny moments. Grade: C+

Perhaps one of the most hit-and-miss thohs in terms of humor. Grade: C+

Probably the weakest Treehouse of Horror up to Season 12, but still pretty good. The ghost dad one was good, as I found Homer avoiding death in the first half amusing, but the segment goes slightly downhill once Homer actually dies and it's ending was kind of crappy. The fairy tale middle segment is about the same, as it has a handful of good jokes but the plot is kind of weak. The final segment with the Dolphins is by far the best one and is filled with great moments such as Lenny's demise, Snorky impersonating the Sea Captain. The Dolphin army marching on land, The Town Hall with Snorky speaking like Skinner, The Birds parody with Dolphins, and of course Springfield battling the Dolphins and all being sent to sea with Kang and Kodos left out at the end. So in conclusion, two good segments and one excellent segment.

8/10

Overall, this is a pretty forgettable THOH. All the segments are pretty average. G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad is on the bland side, but it is okay. 5/10 Scary Tales Can Come True is the most interesting segment here. 6/10 Night of the Dolphin isn't that exciting either, and I've always hated how Snorky speaks English and has a man's voice. But, it is also okay. 5/10 Overall: 5/10

It seemed like the Halloween episodes were slower to be affected by the decline of the show during the Mike Scully era. So for its time Treehouse of Horror XI was the weakest one of all the Halloween episodes that had aired up to that point. The first story revolving around Homer becoming a friendly ghost is very forgettable with its bland writing and lack of any true horror that does not gel well with the Halloween format. The second story of Bart and Lisa playing Grimm's Fairy Tales is a nice step up from the previous story but overall it is just a decent act that does not really stand out that much. What saves the entire episode from being ignored entirely is the third act which uses unassuming dolphins as killer animals in what is probably one of the scariest and most graphic segments in any Halloween story. But even with that last act alone it does not dig out the rest of the episode from near obscurity.

Just rewatched this and I don't get how any of these little episodes were suited to a haloween episode. Goldilocks? seriously? Killer dolphins? just bizarre

only good moment was Moe saying "I zoned out there, where are we going"? When the humans got banished into the sea.

I think this one is really underappreciated. It's definitely my favorite of the five Scully THOHs. Nostalgia certainly factors in a little, but this is one that stays fun and enjoyable on repeat watches even when other Scully episodes I enjoyed way back when don't hold up so well.

-I'm a big Munsters fan and appreciate the opening sequence
-The Ghost Dad segment is the weakest of the bunch and it's still fairly funny. I lose it every time when ghost Homer eats the broccoli and dies again. I still feel like it didn't live up to its potential though; it kinda petered out without going anywhere, which is my main problem with it.
-The fairy tale woods segment is probably my favorite of the episode. Lots of great gags, and also just a really fun premise I'm surprised it took them twelve seasons to arrive at, THOH or not. Despite essentially being a parade of characteristically Scully-era dark and mean-spirited gags it somehow works really well.
-The dolphins segment is really strange but a great one as well. I can't think of anything I dislike about it, except that I wish those extra bits from the climactic battle didn't get left on the cutting room floor. For some reason I really like watching Springfield cope together as a city with the diverse array of apocalyptic disasters they've faced.

Great episode, and hands-down my favorite non-classic THOH. Easily one of the best of season 12 and possibly of Scully's whole tenure, as well. Just good times all around.

4.5/5

G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad: The best in this special and one of the best in history. The plot is compelling, the humor is constant and also intelligent, and the development is fantastic. (A+)

Scary Tales Can Come True: Really weak. It is the typical segment that does not finish convincing in any aspect, but that in turn, in none does something definitely wrong. (C)

Night of the Dolphin: Great concept A fantastic idea and a fluid way to execute it. Its biggest flaw is that it is very violent, but in turn, it is also very entertaining. (A-)

OVERALL: B+ (4/5)

One of the last good TOH episodes

4/5

The Good:

-Homer trying to get into Heaven by jumping the fence
-Broccoli Death
-Moe the troll
-Dolphin story was interesting

The Bad:

-nothing

The ugly:

-nothing

A mixed bag.

But something worth noting about this one is it's the first Treehouse of Horror made at the END of a production cycle. And it's been that way ever since. Why they decided to change it up? I don't know. Maybe that's one reason why the first 10 are considered amazing and this one onward are pretty forgettable.

I think this is the 1st THOH that I thought was in a different class than the rest. Don't really care for the Munsters opening, but it wasn't the worst bit of the episode. G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad is a classic segment, and the same can go to the Night of the Dolphin. Scary Tales Can Come True was bad, probably at that time, the worst THOH segment.

Ghost Dad: 5/5
Scary Tales: 1.5/5
Night of Dolphin: 4/5

My rating is an 10.5/5, which is a 3.5/5, rounded down to a 3/5 because of the Scary Tales segment.

A mixed bag.

But something worth noting about this one is it's the first Treehouse of Horror made at the END of a production cycle. And it's been that way ever since. Why they decided to change it up? I don't know. Maybe that's one reason why the first 10 are considered amazing and this one onward are pretty forgettable.

Always thought most people thought X was meh, apart from "Diddily", that's definitely how I see it anyway with the latter two segments being forgettable :oops:|

I definetely don't consider X as a classic Halloween special even if it's not bad.
The last classic one was Treehouse of Horror IX definetely.

Agreed that this is the first lackluster THOH. The fact that it was the first to be made at the end of the production cycle probably has something to do with it.

Always thought most people thought X was meh, apart from "Diddily", that's definitely how I see it anyway with the latter two segments being forgettable :oops:|

I was just rounding it to 10 like how some people round the golden age to 10 seasons/years.

I personally like it though. It has my favorite Comic Book Guy line (No! It’s no longer a collectible!”)

1. Opening (setting) - Never saw The Munsters (for me it looks like The Adams Family), but the opening is err-meh
  2. G-G-Ghost D-D-Dad - It's a segment with good story and funny Scully-ish moments, but it doesn't make to scare at all. 71/100
  3. Scary Tales Can Come True - The hilarious, full of satire moments on kids tales segment:lol:, however all the rest (particularly the plot and horror) could be better. 68/100
  4. Night of the Dolphin - Fantastic effort, mrs. Omine;). Brilliant Very Good spoof on The Birds, with some weird (in bad way) ending. 79/100

TOTAL (in average) 72.67/100 (3/5, down from 3.5, with rounding, or B-). OK!
№10 overall THOH episodes

Ghost Dad: Solid segment. The best part about it was the humor; Homer evading death is hilarious, and his adventures to do a good deed are enjoyable as well. The best line is definitely ”I’m not running for Jesus.” Only problem is that they are really inconsistent with how the ghost thing works; sometimes he’s seen and sometimes he isn’t, and who knows if he’s actually solid or not. A-/B+

Scary Tales Can Come True: Definitely the weakest segment up to this point. Fairy tales just aren’t the best concept for a Treehouse of Horror and much of it is fairly boring. However it picks up near the end, and I love how Homer gets turned into a fish-chicken-monster. Not a bad short but could be a lot better. B-

Night of the Dolphin: Ridiculous concept that’s executed pretty well. They get a lot of mileage out of the dolphins, and it provides the horror that the other two segments were lacking. If it was funnier this would be an elite THOH short, but it’s still a very respectable A-.

Overall a B+ episode, the first Treehouse to be outside of the A range. The second segment brings it down but it’s still a good, worthwhile special.

THOH ranking: V > IV > VI > VII > III > IX > I > X > VIII > II > XI

Last edited:
These scary tales take me away from the harsh reality of peasant life.
'Night of the dolphin' hits the hardest, just ask Lenny

Back