R&R Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire

How do you rate this episode

• Total voters
Not the most hilarious episode ever, but a very fine episode never the less. A great start to the show with some really nice moments. There were only three moments that made me laugh, Homer at work (monitoring the alarms), the "Quit it" gag and the birdhouse in the Christmas tree. However, I still found it to be fairly enjoyable. The animation wasn't that bad either. B+

A good start to The Simpsons although it's not the best episode. B+

Handsome Peter said:
What kind of Simpsons fan are you if you hadn't seen the first half-hour episode? (OK, I admit I didn't watch last Sunday's Simpsons doubleheader...)

3/5. Some good moments, but overall not that great.

I DID see it, i meant i hadn't see a R&R-thread at NHC

Great heart-warming episode. Brilliant start to the series and although not extremely funny, it's entertainment for the whole family. I probably just giving 5/5 for the fact it's the biggest milestone episode...#1. But I don't care, I love it.

for me one of the best Christmas episodes from the Simpsons.
Story is not very creative, but charming and really well done.
Also of course important for the future because it was aired as first full lenght simpsons epsiode.

B+

The Review i wrote for tv.com:

Definately the best series opener for any tv show ever written a very special episode does not describe it well enough.

as i said before definately the best series opener for any tv show ever written a very special episode does not describe it well enough, From the second it started till the second it stopped it was truly a great episode my favourite jokes were the homer naming the reindeer one and this:

(Santa's Little Helper is chased off by his owner, and comes running towards Homer and Bart.)
Homer: Oh, no, you don't! No, no! Get away from me! Uh-uh!
(Santa's Little Helper jumps into Homer's arms.)
Bart: Oh, can we keep him, Dad, please?
Homer: But he's a loser. He's pathetic! He's...(Santa's Little Helper licks Homer.)...a Simpson.

The One That started it all from this episode through to All About Lisa Season 19 the simpsons have been the greatest show of all time and they will be for years to come...hopefully they don't get cancelled.

A+

Thanks,
Ahh Goobras

Screw flanders Screw flanders Screw flanders Screw Flanders Screw Flanders Screw flanders

It had some typical season 1 shakiness, but it was definitely one of the best and most well-formed of the season. It was both very funny and very touching, and definitely the best Christmas episode. My older brother, who was 7 when this aired, always tells me about how excited he was to see those funny cartoons on Tracy Ullman get a whole half-hour to itself, so there's alot of nostalgia about it for me. 5/5

Simpsons Roasting On An Open Fire Review

Overview:
This isn't the funniest episode ever, but it's still a pretty good episode. The animation isn''t the best, but that's to be expected in season one.

The Good:
This episode has a good plot, and also emotion. It introduces us to a lot of characters, including the Simpsons family, Patty & Selma, Ned & Rod Flanders, Barney, Moe, etc. The animation isn't the best, however all of season one had somewhat poor animation compared to later seasons.

The Bad:
This episode isn't very funny. I think I only laughed a few times. This episode is almost more like a drama than a comedy, which can be good or bad.

Overall:
I really like this episode; I think it's one of the strongest in Season One. It may not be filled with jokes like some of the later episodes, but it's still enjoyable.

5/5

Last edited:
This episode characterizes Season 1 as a whole - some memorable quotes though never roaringly hilarious, but always heartwarming and never failing at that. 4/5

As the first episode of the series itself, and the Christmas special, the episode had its special-vibe that kind of struck me with standard Christmas-styled feel-good storyline. I do not think the episode was any laugh-fest at all, but it certainly had few clever lines that at least saved the humor department. What really stood out was the characterization of main characters—Homer was somewhat of an idiot but the important thing is, he really cares for the family and seems to be in really ‘human’ form than the recent Homer. Bart was a menace as how he was advertised back then, Lisa’s mature speech defending his father showed her smarts but she clapping at the Happy Little Elves showed a part of her character that is pretty realistic for 8-year-old girl… I personally think it’s something that has died over time with Lisa’s character with her character becoming more of… dogmatic while caring more of mature subjects than a normal 8-year-old girl would give a sass about, that is why several Lisa moments in the series premiere is a fresh change from the episodes nowadays, in my opinion. Flanders did not play much but he served as somewhat of a fire for Homer’s desire to serve his family well for Christmas, I think… I guess Homer had inferiority complex from the get go of the series. Overall, the episode presents some characteristic side that shows the Simpsons in its beginning form (not counting Tracy Ullman shorts) and I can see several quirks on it being highly appreciated but humor felt very short for me the episode also feels pretty slow. B

2/5 didn't really enjoy this episode, I guess it isn't bad for the series first episode, but I didn't really think it was funny

Meh, its nothing special and not that funny but being the first episode of a great series you can't give it anything lower than a 3

It had some typical season 1 shakiness, but it was definitely one of the best and most well-formed of the season. It was both very funny and very touching, and definitely the best Christmas episode. My older brother, who was 7 when this aired, always tells me about how excited he was to see those funny cartoons on Tracy Ullman get a whole half-hour to itself, so there's alot of nostalgia about it for me. 5/5
I completely agree with your words. It's not the best series opener as ahhgoobras said (that mention is for Futurama), but still a great and terribly funny episode. 10/10

Back