R&R: "Moaning Lisa"

Sorry, no fancy poll options today

• Total voters
The second best episode of Season 1, and has some of Lisa's best characterisation ever. Only some of my favorite moments:

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

A+

Last edited:
Seeing as this was the first episode ever to prominently feature Lisa, I think this was an amazing episode. To have such strong characterization so early in the show is a huge feat, and to think that this character of Lisa was formed so fully in just one episode just shows the creative brilliance of the writers. Homer, Marge and Bart all changed during the first couple seasons, but Lisa did not need to change until season 10 (and it was definitely for the worse). This was also the first really emotional episode, and Bleeding Gums and the strong theme of jazz throughout also showed promise that the Simpsons would be deep, artistic and sophisticated, not just another dumb cartoon show. A very good and emotionally strong episode. 5/5

Seeing as this was the first episode ever to prominently feature Lisa, I think this was an amazing episode. To have such strong characterization so early in the show is a huge feat, and to think that this character of Lisa was formed so fully in just one episode just shows the creative brilliance of the writers. Homer, Marge and Bart all changed during the first couple seasons, but Lisa did not need to change until season 10 (and it was definitely for the worse). This was also the first really emotional episode, and Bleeding Gums and the strong theme of jazz throughout also showed promise that the Simpsons would be deep, artistic and sophisticated, not just another dumb cartoon show. A very good and emotionally strong episode. 5/5

Well put. This must be the first episode that i've seen, because of that, this episode always has a special place in my memories. Bleeding Gums, although killed off, is my favorite minor character. Just because of the fact he's a representative of the music i love. Soul, Funk, R&B, Jazz, Blues... Mhm!

The ending credits scene, although so simple, is just very atmospheric, saxophonist Dan Higgins did an amazing job for all musical scenes.

Easy 5/5 for an episode in a season they were still experimenting with.

Well put. This must be the first episode that i've seen, because of that, this episode always has a special place in my memories. Bleeding Gums, although killed off, is my favorite minor character. Just because of the fact he's a representative of the music i love. Soul, Funk, R&B, Jazz, Blues... Mhm!

The ending credits scene, although so simple, is just very atmospheric, saxophonist Dan Higgins did an amazing job for all musical scenes.

Easy 5/5 for an episode in a season they were still experimenting with.

Hey, this one one of the first episodes I ever saw as well! I agree that the atmosphere of the episode, especially the end and the bridge scene really lends alot to it. That was a very important part of the ep, but I forgot to put it in my post.

ok, i like this episode 'cuz it's about Lisa, but i think it is a little boring. In my opinion the B story about Homer and Bart is funnier. 2/5

Y'know, this is one of those episodes I didn't fully appreciate at first. It's Season 1''s most heartwarming episode, and is easily superior to its sequel, "Round Springfield". Lisa's plot may not have been smacking of humor, but Bart/Homer's plot was able to fill those shoes so that Lisa's story could be told with a nice sense of balance. 4.5/5

Very interesting episode mostly because it makes me think a lot of several aspects of Lisa’s depression. Before getting into the ‘big stuff’, the subplot was pretty good, I gotta say. It may be a bit of an overstatement that most of the jokes were derived from it, but it felt like a good and light-hearted break from a heavy-feeling plot. As for the main plot itself, at first, I felt a bit irritated by Lisa’s depression but it became fully understandable as the time went on and several things were explained. This kind of emotional aspect of Lisa would later be set as basis like episodes such as Lisa’s Substitute in my opinion… which is pretty big ala the establishment of Homer’s feeling toward Ned from “Dead Putting Society” from Season 2. One thing that I really liked was Marge-Lisa interaction and one part that I feel is not talked much often is Marge’s dream about her smile and its relation to ‘how good her mother would be’, which would later connect to an aspect of the plot’s ending. Other than that, the episode feels really simple yet very impactful due to change of Lisa’s feeling in the end after all the commotions. It doesn’t really require a wacky commotion like Groundskeeper Willie’s hidden camera targeting couples, but it worked in my opinion. The episode itself was not a gagfest, but it actually had its moments such as animation of the boxing game. A

5/5.

My favourite episode of season 1 and really the first episode where Lisa develops her own personality, rather than being a girl version of Bart. Hurrah!

I think the animation's good (by season 1 standards) interesting A and B story and I love the music.

Best part of the episode: Homer whimpering after almost beating Bart at video boxing.

Pretty bad episode, dont like the characterisation of Marge or Lisa and the animation is some of the worst of the first season.

2/5

2/5 really boring episode.lisa is sad.she's always sad.that's what are the woman for?to be sad and clean house.and I didn;t like that marge turn off this game where homer was winning.they are not good sides of this episode.they're only bad sides.

It's like a season 1 version of a mediocre Lisa episode (IMO). 5/10
However, I do have to give this episode credit for changing Lisa's characterization from the very annoying girl Bart to the still annoying, but less so know-it-all.

it's a 4.5/5 episode, but by season one standards, I'll give it a 5/5, basically the official intro of Lisa's character how we'd come to know her

Very interesting episode mostly because it makes me think a lot of several aspects of Lisa’s depression. Before getting into the ‘big stuff’, the subplot was pretty good, I gotta say. It may be a bit of an overstatement that most of the jokes were derived from it, but it felt like a good and light-hearted break from a heavy-feeling plot. As for the main plot itself, at first, I felt a bit irritated by Lisa’s depression but it became fully understandable as the time went on and several things were explained. This kind of emotional aspect of Lisa would later be set as basis like episodes such as Lisa’s Substitute in my opinion… which is pretty big ala the establishment of Homer’s feeling toward Ned from “Dead Putting Society” from Season 2. One thing that I really liked was Marge-Lisa interaction and one part that I feel is not talked much often is Marge’s dream about her smile and its relation to ‘how good her mother would be’, which would later connect to an aspect of the plot’s ending. Other than that, the episode feels really simple yet very impactful due to change of Lisa’s feeling in the end after all the commotions. It doesn’t really require a wacky commotion like Groundskeeper Willie’s hidden camera targeting couples, but it worked in my opinion. The episode itself was not a gagfest, but it actually had its moments such as animation of the boxing game. A
Well put, I essentially agree with this. Despite I don't find this episode 100% perfect, it stands out as a deep, realistic and down-to-earth character study, like Life On The Fast Lane in the same season. 9.5/10

Has some typical Season 1 problems--emotionally manipulative, dull in places, and sometimes it doesn't seem like a comedy. However, the Homer/Bart subplot balances it out well, and the "Go to the one you love best" scene is classic (and tragically hilarious). Marge's OOC moment and sudden change of mind seemed a little forced, but overall I liked the scenes with Bleeding Gums. An episode not without its flaws, but not without its charms either, I give it a 10/15

First episode that I truly got entranced by the Simpsons. Although not the funniest episode is has a brilliant balance between emotion and funny that the earlier episodes in the season had lacked. Underrated for sure solid A

First Lisa episode is a good start for her character. You've also got a subplot that provides very nice comic relief. The boxing matches between Bart and Homer are quite funny. B+ (4/5)

I gave it a 3/5. I liked Homer and Bart's sub plot {not cos i found it funnier, just had a better plot, for me}, and it was boring at times. I'd say one of s1's bottom episodes

I agree, even if I'm most severe in my rating : 7/20. My second least favorite of season 1, behind Life on the Fast Lane.

Wow, this episode was depressing! I know I haven’t been laughing much this season, but geez! Lighten up! This is the Simpsons, not fricken Terms of Endearment. But I digress. How was this downer episode? Lisa gets depressed and meets Bleeding Gums Murphy. Funny how this episode is more depressing than its sequel in Season 6 that involved death. I liked the sub plot with Homer and Bart and the Boxing game, but the main conflict with Lisa was still handled very well. Both plots were interesting and came together well at the end. 3/5

Last edited:
Wow, this episode was depressing! I know I haven’t been laughing much this season, but geez! Lighten up! This is the Simpsons, not fricken Terms of Endearment.

WTF? No really...WTF!? "Moaning Lisa" is a Simpsons epsiode and not some dumb fuck Scully / Latter-Jean era episode where magical robots come to torture Homer or where the family survives being hit by a train. Maybe you shouldn't wade in anything deeper than a kiddie pool.

WTF? No really...WTF!? "Moaning Lisa" is a Simpsons epsiode and not some dumb fuck Scully / Latter-Jean era episode where magical robots come to torture Homer or where the family survives being hit by a train. Maybe you shouldn't wade in anything deeper than a kiddie pool.

Not that kind of depressing. The Scully/Latter Jean Years are depressing because its hard watching a show like the Simpsons go from the golden years to this crap. I meant that Moaning Lisa is depressing because i actually kind of felt bad for Lisa. I suffered from depression in High School and could relate to her.

I didn't really express this in my earlier review, but I have to just say that this isn't why I watch The Simpsons. Now, I don't mind serious stuff in episodes that are actually entertaining and still have some humor in them, but this is just depressing and the subplot doesn't help. I watch The Simpsons for entertainment, not for some small version of one of those, generic serious movies. These are just my thoughts, though. Sorry

Moaning Lisa

Low on jokes and slapstick, high on emotion and pathos. This is the episode that sets the tone for the future characterization of Lisa and sets her faraway from the girl-version Bart she was during the Ullman-shorts. Introducing a teacher that doesn't understand her (Largo) and a future mentor who shows her the way to the heart of the soul-music. (Bleeding Gums Murphy)

To lower the tension in this episode, a rather light-hearted but funny B-story is chosen in which Bart competes against Homer by means of a "Punchout"-like game. Highlight of this B-story is Homer waking up screaming after a nightmare in which he and his son were actual characters from the videogame. The great talent of Dan C. as a voice-actor is starting to become very clear and it is a precursor for the road he is gonna choose in his interpretation of Homer.

Overall, enjoyable episode by season1-standards.

60.jpg
44.jpg

18.jpg
61.jpg

Back