R&R: "Moaning Lisa"

Sorry, no fancy poll options today

• Total voters
This is the first episode (as far as I'm aware) that is based around Lisa Simpson, and, as many go, one of the best. It was this episode that really made me attach to Lisa, and feel her feelings in the first place. All this essentially does is explain why I'm closer to her than any other Simpsons character.

For that alone, it has to be a 5/5.

I used to think this was great, but now I realize it probably wasn't the most challenging episode to write. Nothing brilliant, but still effective.

A/A-

Not a classic in my books, but everything was decent. I think your rating for the episode depends highly on your appreciation of Lisa; I wasn't a fan of act 1, but I was able to associate with her in the last two acts. Because of this, I'll give it 4/5.

Great episode:, my second favorite from season 1. Lisa's emotional plight was very well established: an element which I believe set up for latter classics such Lisa's Substitute and Lisa the Iconoclast. This was the first episode that fully established her as a 3-dimensional character so I believe it is an important link in the history of OFF. Even the hilarious Bart and Homer's subplot is not just a subplot for the sake of subplot: it manages to give us a good look about Homer and Barts's relationship too.

A well-deserved A .

A The early Lisa episode were astonishing. They really set her character in the perfect place. I think this episode really grows on you. At first, I gave it a B, then a B+. Then, after another viewing, i decided how great it was. Not the best of Season 1 (that would be Life on the Fast Lane) but a solid runner up.

For some reason I don't really like the subplot but I love this show. Even the animation is great for me. It took me some time to appreciate this episode but I think it's superb rigth now. 5/5

An episode dear to my heart, one I can always relate to. Beautiful writing, the first fantastic Lisa characterization that really set the foundation for her character, endearing Lisa/Homer moments, a great Homer/Bart subplot, wonderful Lisa/Marge interaction, and plenty of humor to accompany the emotion. 5/5

HarleenQuinn said:
An episode dear to my heart, one I can always relate to. Beautiful writing, the first fantastic Lisa characterization that really set the foundation for her character, endearing Lisa/Homer moments, a great Homer/Bart subplot, wonderful Lisa/Marge interaction, and plenty of humor to accompany the emotion. 5/5

This sums up my feelings for this excellent episode. 5/5

This episode is truly amazing because you have to adopt the standpoint of the writers who had basically nothing to work from for Lisa's character other than that she was the stereotypical smart sister, but who fleshed her out into the character she'd remain throughout the rest of the series. I also love the art direction in this one. That video-game had some of the funniest visuals in the series, surprising it came from season 1.

5/5

This episode is absolutely brilliant. It has arguably Lisa's best characterisation of the entire show. One of my favourite Season 1 offerings.

A+

This was, up until today, the only episode of the first 4 seasons that I had not seen, and just oh...my...gosh.
This episode had such a fantastic atmosphere: it felt so simple, so effortless, so beautiful. Everything was brilliant. And the subplot is officially the best subplot ever. I can't stop laughing at Homer kneeling down, crying over Bart's retirement. Simply hilarious. It also balanced out the darker, more emotional main plot. Also hilarious was Maggie hugging the TV, the dodgeball scene and Homer's "Hey" during Bleeding Gums' performance.
The only ever so slight problem for me is when Lisa sings "and this morning my own mother gave my last cupcake away" when she volunteered to give it away. :silly: And that's only very, very minor.
I can't believe how great this episode is. It is, as of now, in my top 5 episodes ever. A+

Last edited:
The Introduction of Ralph Wiggum. ‘im a unitard’ funniest character EVER

My Favourite Quote Section:

Bleeding Gums Murphy: You know, you play pretty well for someone with no real problems.
Lisa: Yeah, but I don't feel any better.
Bleeding Gums Murphy: The blues isn't about feelin' better. It's about makin' other people feel worse and makin' a few bucks while you're at it

My Why I Love this episode section –
The Intro Of Ralph Wiggum and the blues, I love the blues and I now have the second grade blues on my phone and my ipod and Ralph Wiggum possibly the greatest character in any tv show ever, god I love that little guy

Better Or Worse than the last episode –
I said in my review of bart the general that the next episode would have to be good to get a same or better but this episode is i opened this episode ready to give my review and I remembered how good it was the story, the blues and more. I thought this episode deserves a same and then I saw it was the first appearance of Ralph which put it over the top

Better it is

another great episode from Al Jean and Mike Reiss

Thanks,
Ahh Goobras

You can read all of my reviews on tv.com where my name is ahhgoobras im planning on reviewing every episode im up to season 2

Back