Votes: 27 30.0%
  • 2/5: Mathletes suck

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • 1/5: Lisa Goes Gaga

Votes: 12 13.3%

• Total voters

Telso

Hole in My Head
When a modernized Springfield Elementary has a technical meltdown, Lisa transforms it into a Waldorf school. Meanwhile, Groundskeeper Willie becomes the coach of the mathletes. Lisa and other kids on the Springfield Elementary Mathlympics Team compete against Waverly Hills Elementary. Springfield has a natural genius who uses ancient techniques to compute geometric figures and helps the Mathletes.

only joke i chuckled at was "build a trophy case". the rest of it was middling confusing modern simpsons fare. somebody will probably list the flaws with this episode far more eloquently than i can, so i'll just deposit a 2/5 and leave.

overall: this season blew, i hated it, lol lol lol

fun fact: the supervising director of the tennis racket and morguey couch gag was pete michels, who directed many episodes of the simpsons from 1997 - 2003 (and also FG from 2001 - 2013)

i guess that's why people were saying "man that other studio anim8ed the simpsons way better than the current staaff!!!"

It was okay. The plot seemed to try to combine the math plot with the technology plot, but it didn't really work and seemed disjointed. But the episode still had its fair share of humorous moments, and I liked the ending. Average 3/5

This episode was bad. Nothing happened. Except for the couch gag it was a waste of my time. 1/5, one of the worst of the season (sadly not the worst).

I did like 3-4 episodes from the season 26 but overall, it was a bad season.

Final episode of the year!
++/-- Funny, yet very long couch gag.
+ Dog with box on head.
+ Callback to Homer Goes To College.
++ Krusty saying meth.
+ Chalmskin!
-- Wasn't the math plot most of the episode?
+ Life in these 48 states.
+ Ralph with a triangle.
+++ Decapita.
End of act 1, Good! 7.5/10.
- Animation error.
-- Lisa's face looked REALLY small.
++ Styrofoam peanuts.
+ Ralph.
End of act 2. Awful! 3/10!
+ Hey look! the math plot's back!
--- Very out of character Bart!
End of act 3, even worse! 1.5/10!
In conclusion, VERY low note to end the season! 3.5/10.
Episodes this year from top to bottom.
1. Covercraft (10/10)
2. I Won't Be Home For Christmas (9/10)
3. Super Franchise Me (9/10)
4. Peeping Mom (9/10)
5. Simpsorama (8.5/10)
6. Treehouse Of Horror XXV (8.5/10)
7. The Princess Guide (8.5/10)
8. The Musk Who Fell To Earth (8/10)
9. My Fare Lady (8/10)
10. The Man Who Came To Be Dinner (7.5/10)
11. Let's Go Fly A Coot (7.5/10)
12. Waiting For Duffman (7.5/10)
13. The Wreck Of The Relationship (7.5/10)
14. Opposites A-Frack (7/10)
15. The Kids Are All Fight (7/10)
16. Blazed And Confused (6.5/10)
17. Clown In The Dumps (6.5/10)
18. Bull-E (6/10)
19. Bart's New Friend (6/10)
20. Walking Big And Tall (6/10)
21. Sky Police (4.5/10)
22. Mathleate's Feat (3.5/10).
Avg. Grade=7.3/10. Good season.

I loved this episode! Expect for one thing....Rick and Morty.
Don't get me wrong, I love R&M as much as the next guy but the couch gag was awful.
Here's a list of crossovers that would have made much funnier couch gags
1.Five Nights at Freddy's
2. Attack on Titan
3. Sword Art Online
4. Ren and Stimpy
5. SpongeBob Squarepants
6. Ed, Edd, n Eddy
7. King of the Hill
8. Pokémon
9. Homestruck
10. Elfen Lied
Overall 7/10

The last episode the 26th season was on? When did the new season even start?

The last episode the 26th season was on? When did the new season even start?

remember all that hoopla about a character dying and it turned out to be krusty's dad? yea it was that

anyways, man this was one of the messiest plots I've ever seen. for a brief two minutes, homer got a random subplot, and then bart comes in the end and then they try to allude it was all about lisa all along. and she gets drunk on soda. also a random 30 seconds of the family in a jug band.

what the hell

2/5

1.) dump an episode into sony vegas
2.) reverse it

there you go its almost like a brand new episode!!

or you could watch a new show

Like many episodes of this shite season, this episode was far too disjointed.

For example, Lisa says Willie is able to educate them about maths without any, erm, actual examples. Baseless.

Really didn't like the Family Guy-esque random non-sequitur with the family in a band at the end, although surprisingly I somewhat enjoyed Lisa's "drunk" soda conversation with Willie. As for other stuff, wish they actually expanded on the final act where Bart joins the mathletes, instead of WIllie just saying he's a mathlete all of a sudden before cutting to the re-match or whatever. Overall just wasted potential.

2/5, 4/10, D+.

Man, that was Σ episode amirite?? *cough*

Anyway, yeah that was really disjointed. The main conflict seemed to be the math team losing at first and then practicing, culminating in the win at the end of the episode, but the road there was full of so many bizarre plot twists that I wasn't sure what was going on. The school gets technology, then it loses it, then Willie is coach, then Homer likes the new school, then Bart is head of the team for some reason. There's no sense of direction that makes anything worthwhile. It's a bunch of things that happen. Also jug band because why not.

The couch gag was pretty good but it's not the best of the past x years or anything. A few background gags I enjoyed and the animation in general looked cool. Would do again.

"All the math jokes we can think of" Al Jean promised were all pretty old "jokes." I liked dog in a box, the nerds living in the basement of a mansion, Springfield's crap introduction video (chalmskinn), Bart's new way of writing on the whiteboard, and the Anti-Gutenberg 3000 being at 451 degrees F. Nelson eating "steak" and Willie's sarcasm bit were too obvious. Good to see Chalmers's 1974 _ONDA return. Frink's glass podium with nothing on it was kinda fun, even if unintentional. Good voice acting on "drunk" Lisa. The caption of the jug band title card, "Fills the time," was probably the best part of whatever that was.

Meh. 6/10, 3/5

3/5 - and let me know when the "math jokes" start.

Skinner and Chalmers mention that secondary school is not their problem since it is "after sixth grade," but no middle schools have ever been mentioned.

The math contest includes algebra questions that should be difficult for elementary school students. Yes, I realize that tough questions are the point of a Mathletes team in the first place, but there is a limit as to what they are expected to know.

The Springfield shirts said "PI is not equal to A/B", which is correct if A and B are rational (or, for that matter, algebraic), but what if A = PI and B = 1?

Bart coming up with the answer at the end may be a reference to The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, where one of the teammates of the smartest player did the same thing.

Has anyone besides me ever actually seen (or, for that matter, heard of) a math contest? They don't work that way. I've seen two types; in one, with just a few schools, each team has 5 students working independently on each problem, with a "team problem" at the end; in the other, with more schools, each student answers a number of questions in a given time period (for example, two sets of 20 questions per hour), and a school's team score is the sum of its best individual scores.

Written by Michael Price
Directed by Michael Polcino
No billboard or blackboard (except during the episode)
Couch: Rick and Morty (from the Adult Swim show of the same name) kill everybody, and try to clone them
Special Guest Voice: Justin Roiland
Also Starring: Pamela Hayden, Tress MacNeille, Russi Taylor, Chris Edgerly, Maggie Roswell
Overseas Animation: Rough Draft
TV Rating: TV-PG-DLV

Look at all the activity happening right now. Jeez, wonder how bad Season 27's R&R threads are gonna get.

Act 1: Still liked the R&M couch gag. Long, but eh, rather take funny, pointless filler than, well...the filler usually put at the end of episodes these days (including that random "post show jug band" for this episode). Homer reacting to the dog was funny, though went a bit long. Guess these are the complicated math jokes the writers mentioned about...huh (though there were a few freeze frame moments that might be good). Liked seeing the college nerds again. Oh joy, they finally made a Michael Bay jab, complete with Azarias generic male voice. Ugggh. So the school gets the new latest technology, but then it's all destroyed by an electric explosion, or something. Eh?

Act 2: HI random teacher we've never seen before (oh wait...right). Odd forward Lisa angle there with Willie. And now Lisa's intrigued with Willie for some reason? New alternative teaching methods that don't always work. That could lead to some good satire, right? Nope, instead these methods actually do work. So much so that Willie's teaching of basic math helps the team do extremely complicated algebraic looking problems at the end, even though all the Woldorf methods really seemed to teach was just basic divisions and adding. Also Homer sings and suddenly enjoys the Wulderf methods now, for some reason that they don't go into.

Act 3: Willie makes Bart math team captain. *insert rushed math team plot that could've taken up the entire episode, but instead just focused on unfocused random shit* Teams tie, Bart obvious wins it for them, Lisa's drunk on Mountain Dew because why not, post show jug band (whah?), the end.

Yet again, another disjointed, "okay" Season 26 episode with not much to talk about.

Overall: 6/10, or 3/5 for the poll. Lower standard, aye!

whoa did someone ask me to do second grade math?!

8mBTEbil.png

6*8 = 48. Divisble by 16. Ans = 48

gWrp13sl.png

Literally work quickly. Ans = -27

IVWmphul.png

Odd second grade question seeing as interval notation isn't usually seen until calculus. The R just means all real numbers. Ans = [-3,4]

bnyRJUVl.png

Realize 52/4 = 13 (13 cards per suit, 4 suits per deck = 52 cards is how I remember it), so 52/4 + 3/4 = 13.75. Ans = 5.75

1jJGbyYl.png

Simplify the first equation for (x-1)[sup]2[/sup] + y[sup]2[/sup] = 18. Subtract from the second equation for (y-8)[sup]2[/sup] - y[sup]2[/sup] = 16. -16y + 64 = 16. y = 3. (x-1)[sup]2[/sup] = 9. x = 4. Ans = (4,3)

buaDiGEl.png

Either it's all 0 or it's all 1. Dividing by x would lose you the second solution of 0. Ans = 0, 1

AZap99ql.png

If you add the two equations you get 2a[sup]2[/sup] + 2b[sup]2[/sup] = 70. The 2ab and -2ab cancel. Good mathletes know by heart to average the two numbers, which is a lot faster here; otherwise, divide by 2 for Ans = 35.

Has anyone besides me ever actually seen (or, for that matter, heard of) a math contest? They don't work that way. I've seen two types; in one, with just a few schools, each team has 5 students working independently on each problem, with a "team problem" at the end; in the other, with more schools, each student answers a number of questions in a given time period (for example, two sets of 20 questions per hour), and a school's team score is the sum of its best individual scores.

Some competitions do work this way, actually. The MathCounts Countdown round is the most popular one for middle school students.

So far I seem to be in the minority, but I loved this episode and this was coming from someone who had very low expectations for this episode. The reason for that was because I was kind of unsure how they were going to make an interesting episode based off this premise, but the promos kind of raised my interest for the episode even though I was still skeptical and I did remember that Girls Just Want To Have Sums was an episode where math was a big part of the plot. I don't think I'd rank it higher than the aforementioned episode, but I still think this is a great episode. The plot was very down to earth, it had a lot of great jokes and I especially enjoyed the whole satirical aspect of this episode with the problems of the school being all digital. I think the gags with the school going digital like the digital American flag and the automatic white board were some of the funniest parts of the episode. As for the messy plot that some people are mentioning, yeah I didn't really notice it. I really don't see what the big deal is with the plot as there have been other episodes where the plots are much more disjointed than this one.

Overall, I really loved this episode and I thought it was a great way to end the season. 10/10

M.F. reminded me of the superior "I'm Spelling as fast as I Can", yet it lacked any real 'depth' that even that early Jean episode had. IMO, instead of having Willie be the teacher, after the computers crashed, they should've did a parody of Stand and Deliver since in that movie, the teacher came to teach computer math and the school lacked any computers due to funding issues.

As it was, a 2/5.

Also I was totally dead on with my prediction: the R&M couch gag was the funniest part of the episode.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It was a fun Lisa episode set in the school with an emphasis on Willy, I've always liked when Willy and Lisa interact. Despite Lisa being the focus, the lack of Marcia Wallace was felt. Personally I think they should promote Willy to being Bart's teacher moving forward, and this episode could have been a great way to give Willy the new job. It was great seeing Benjamin, Doug and Gary back to kick off the techie plot. Really, the plot felt pretty solid to me. They lost the math event, the three nerds gave the school a tech boost to help them and it back fired. Lisa suggested the Waldorf method, the school benefited from it and they won the next math league event.

3.5/5 rounded up to a 4 for the poll

Okay so I guess I'll get some positives out of this:
-Martin and Database's "high five"
-Bart and Database glasses switch
-Ms Hoover actually having some moments
-Few cameos by Allison
-ChalmSkinn, hasn't gotten old yet

Otherwise very meh for something that may have had potential. Felt pretty disjointed and in addition the animation was probably pretty shaky at times including a couple of colour errors I'm not sure how they made.
HUH.png
WHA.png

Not sure what's up with Mrs Prince there or Janey's mom. Probably give a pass on ShTerri's hair colouring since... well that's kinda what they had in the very first ep so it's kinda neat to see again. Also the closest thing to a role they even got the whole season, I'm gonna pretend that FG crossover never happened...
[SUB]Why is it always the ones nobody else likes? Even Uter and Lunchlady Doris got lines...[/SUB]

Some competitions do work this way, actually. The MathCounts Countdown round is the most popular one for middle school students.
MathCounts is not a team competition - at least, I have never seen it done as a team competition.

Well, I have seen it done this way once before, but in fiction - in the movie Never Been Kissed.

Of course, pretty much every Quiz Bowl competition works this way, but I have never seen one limited to math questions.

Back