R/R "Loan-a Lisa"

How would you rate tonight's episode?

• Total voters

hughes

Skeletor rising
When Grampa gives each member of the family a portion of his savings, Lisa and Marge spend their money in drastically different ways. Lisa invests in Nelson’s brand-new business venture, but soon realizes that her friend’s instant success might lure him away from the classroom. Worried that his judgment might be clouded, Lisa introduces Nelson to the well-educated and successful creator of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg (guest-voicing as himself), only to find out that he too dropped out of school. But when the soaring business suddenly takes a sharp turn, Lisa teaches her friend that education is invaluable in the all-new “Loan-a-Lisa” episode airing Sunday, Oct. 3 (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SI-2117) (TV-PG D, L, S, V)

Voice Cast: Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson; Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson; Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson; Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson; Hank Azaria as Moe; Harry Shearer as Skinner; Pamela Haden as Milhouse; Tress MacNeille as Dolph

Guest Voice Cast: Mark Zuckerberg as Himself; Muhammad Yunus as Himself

R/R tonight's episode here.

EDIT: The poll options refer to how wise it would be to invest in each one. Probably not anywhere near as funny as I thought it was originally

it may be me being in a good mood but i liked that a lot. I laughed at a lot of stuff, far more than I have at most recent episodes.

Bart's line about "Stories that happened thousands of years ago that were fake"

That guy who graduated and didn't amount to anything (I appreciate the irony)

I thought Nelson's PB Or J linewas funny.

I can't tell if I'm watching an Old episode of Seinfeld or an Old Christine.

Lou undercover and Wiggum's line "You act like you don't even know me when you're undercover. He'll turn on you too, Fat Tony!"

The only gag I didn't really like was the end with mark zuckerberg on facebook. Don't know if it was me in a good mood but I really enjoyed this episode. 5/5

The first four minutes were basically throwaway gags - is it REALLY that difficult to come up with 20 minutes without having to resort to massive amounts of obvious filler?

Not bad, not great. Basically your average episode. It had its moments - Chalmers trying to get a job working for Nelson, the Microfinancing video, the Up parody - but the episode didn't have a very good flow. I think the four act format is to blame - the fourth act just seemed so short and irrelevant.

That Chris Hansen thing came out of nowhere. That was the big problem - neither of the plots had great resolutions.

By the way, who voiced that janitor who had the fancy degree? He didn't sound like on of the main three, but I didn't see any guest stars who might have voiced him.

Last edited:
Really dug this one, it was pretty much what I expect from this stage of the show (good but not brilliant jokes, with a couple that are overlong/bad; a decent plot with a few pacing issues), and while it won't be making my top 50 or anything, it was a nice half-hour of entertainment. The only joke that really missed for me was the card thing (although the IandS would have been way funnier if it had ended with Itchy just shooting Scratchy and his wife), whereas most of the jokes throughout were strong. The guest stars, even though they played themselves, actually serviced the plot, and Kat Spayed was actually a decent lampoon for once. A relatively low 14/15, for a really enjoyable outing.

EDIT: Who wrote/directed?

That was a million times better than last week. I loved it. The main plot was really interesting. Lisa helping Nelson out really captivated me and she was in character throughout the whole episode, like when she wanted Nelson back in school. She was perfectly characterized and likeable in this episode. Nelson was the typical Nelson (a poor bully) and I thought he was also well characterized. Mark Zuckerberg, to me, was used well and his part worked. The ending was a little predictable (only a little) but I still think it was the best way to end this episode. The "Haw-haw"s and "Sorry"s at the end were also a nice touch. The subplot was humorous fun It's great to have a nice Homer/Marge plot in an episode like this. It balances out the episode well. Marge may have been overreacting a little, but against popular belief, she is really not that normal of a character, only by comparison. Homer using the items that he bought was really funny, especially with the hot tub. The ending was a little random, but it fit the fun nature of the subplot by not taking itself too seriously.

There were some extended scenes in the first act, but they were still funny.

5/5

One of their ballsier jokes in awhile, I feel. I dug it, too.

Also, the Itchy and Scratchy was a nice throwback to the Disney bashing days of yore.

Disagree. They've done way too many Christian jokes lately and they're a bit old, especially with all the Christian-bashing you already get on the Internet.

Better than last week's story, but a lot could've been done to make this more entertaining. The main story could've spent more time exploring the pros and cons of finishing school; maybe some of Lisa's favorite artists or musicians never went to or completed college? It works both ways, really.

Nothing special about the subplot.

3.25/5

they have had a lot of jokes about religion. i dunno why but bart's particular line made me laugh.

speaking of jokes they've done a lot of over the years, they've done a lot about how bart was an accident, am i the only one who thinks they've been doing more of these? i could be wrong but it seems they've been doing more of these types of jokes recently.

and why does fat tony keep appearing without any lines? this also seems to be happening quite a bit the past few episodes

Disagree. They've done way too many Christian jokes lately and they're a bit old, especially with all the Christian-bashing you already get on the Internet.

Yeah, I guess that's true. The current climate makes it easier to make such jokes. It still caught me off guard.

they have had a lot of jokes about religion. i dunno why but bart's particular line made me laugh.

speaking of jokes they've done a lot of over the years, they've done a lot about how bart was an accident, am i the only one who thinks they've been doing more of these? i could be wrong but it seems they've been doing more of these types of jokes recently.

and why does fat tony keep appearing without any lines? this also seems to be happening quite a bit the past few episodes

-That gag was funny. I forgot about that one.

-I do find them funny, but they have done many of them. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

-I think it's hard to get the voice actor for him, forget who he was.

maybe they originally had lines written for him but Joe Mantegna couldn't make the recording session, or didn't want to bother to get him for a joke that didn't involve him speaking

For jokes involving the crime element of Springfield it makes sense to just use him than have some random guy

ThumbUP.gif
I liked the Whole episode from start to finish! Best cartoon of the night!

it just seems fat tony has been seen more recently, as opposed to the earlier seasons when he'd only appear when he had lines (unless there were moments when he appeared but didn't talk that I'm just forgetting). it's no big deal obviously, i was just wondering, thanks for clearing it up

This episode was.... Good. For new simpsons episode standards. Especially the fact that it's the 22nd season. Better than the premiere episode. I like the line that skinner says about having brunch. I like the pb and j thing that nelson says. The whole joke with wiggum talking about how "cool that would have looked in slow mo" it's an obvious jab to how often they use the slow motion effect. overall, this episode was a 70%.

3/5

The main plot was great, however it could've involved Bart a little more since he was mostly in the first act only. He could've easily been one of Nelson's employees.

The sub plot was mostly there for little purpose only to end abrupthly. However, I did like Homer's reaction when he finds out he is being videotaped.

We find out in this episode that Nelson's middle name is Mandela. Quite fascinating.

Something else we saw is that Mr. Largo has a Wizard of Oz bike that he needed for a "Pride Parade". Is Mr. Largo going to become the next Smithers?

Next week, we will get MoneyBART which has a description that sounds like a Lisa centered episode. If we get too many fair-to-pitiful Lisa centered episodes, this could spell trouble.

This was a big step up compared to the premiere. I felt like this could have fit into the early jean era. It wasn't as in your face gag-wise where all the lame jokes come to the suface and stay there with you for the rest of the episode. There were a few questionable ones, but nothing really to distract you from the plot or to make you feel sour during the commercial break.
As for the actual plots though, I enjoyed them. The Nelson/Lisa plot was my favorite. Marge's purse subplot was good. It had that 'late jean era Marge is freaking out over nothing again' vibe going for it, but that was mainly background music to the actual idea. I was expecting Marge to get caught and have to work it off as "This week character x will play the role of costington clerk" or something cliche' like that. It was a nice change to see it become a down to earth 'don't push your luck' type of story.
I don't know what it is about Nelson, but when he's written the right way these days, his involvement in the show makes for a more enjoyable viewing (Haw-Hawed Couple, Dial N For Nerder comes to mind IMO). I thought this was a good idea and I liked the setup of having Nelson of all people start a bike business. Lisa was likable in this plot. I liked how she felt bad enough to donate him the $50, and how she kept checking up on him. It was also a nice change of pace seeing her help steer him back towards education. As lame as it was for the staff to get Zuckerberg, the guy's guest spot wasn't anything to complain about. I was surprised they made him write a status without explaining to the audience, "what he's typing is a status".

Overall this episode was pretty decent and it was good without it trying too hard to be creative. Nothing for me to get all praise-worthy or excited about, but it was a nice surprise to actually tolerate a new Simpsons episode. Also the ending to this episode was sweet. 4/5 for the jean era.

Jokes I actually made a sound for:

-Don't wipe your feet on the rug. (the delivery got me)
- I can't tell if I'm watching an old Seinfeld or an Old Christine
- Haha! sorry! on the facebook page
- something else but I guess it wasn't anything memorable

EDIT: I agree with the 'Bart was an accident' type jokes. Too easy and repetitive when you're on your 22nd season.

Last edited:
well, i did like

-parody falls
-old seinfeld or an old old christine

i disliked
-the subplot
-couch gag
-facebook
-that talking goat
-come on on, the cardboards fine. heheheheheh

the episode was nothing special, but better than last weeks i assume. 2/5

worst thing of the night was watching the new family guy hd intro. new simpsons is floppy as season 1 compared to that stiffness.

Just downloaded it.

Trying not to compare it to the shitfest of last week, this episode wasn't terrible at all. This felt like an decent S14/15 episode where it wasn't screaming at you with retarded gags. The only stupid part was the couch gag and the "UP" parody, both ran on for too long.

3.5/5, or C+

EDIT: if the poll was about investing, it should've been this:

5/5: Information Technology
4/5: Medicine
3/5: Lottery
2/5: Video Stores
1/5: Newspapers

Last edited:
haven't seen it yet, but it seems almost unfair that my local fox station leads in to these new episodes with some episodes from Season 5

Possibly the most pathetic couch gag the series has done (Yes, even the Anti-Homer ones weren't quite as bad or even Ke$ha, IMO). Though I did like the nod to "Up!" & Pixar films in the I&S short. But Nelson's middle name being "Mandela"? (sarcastic laughter). Also, Wiggum was quite the Dumbass but other than that & some other problems I mentioned (& ones I didn't), I feel the episode deserves a 3/5 at best.

Better than last week, by far.

The term 'couch gag' seems irrelevant these days. It's more like 'couch short' or 'couch cold open'. I'm sick of how they keep feeding us these little story couch gags where it tries so hard to be cute. Just let them run in dressed up as something and let's get the fuck on with the show.

The episode was a decent episode. A couple of funny gags here and there and a decent plot. As someone already said, I wish they included Bart a little more into the mix.

Not much to really say about this episode because it wasn't screaming out funny/or outstanding but it wasn't horrendous either.

Gags - Little things I liked:

- Grampa's Savings

- The Muhammed Yunus website

- Nelson's Entrepreneur Help video (Nelson Mandela Muntz FTW)

- Grampa's story at the dinner table

- Lou being with Fat Tony and the Mob and Wiggum blowing his cover

- The Entrepreneurs that Dropped Out Scene / the Janitor that went to college (and the part Zuckerberg / Nelson v. Gates / I Forgot in Chicken)

- Nelson / Lisa ice-blading (the Facebook ending was funny)

Overall I give it a solid 3 / 5

I guess it was the resolutions that ruined it for me. There was a few semi-amusing gags, but neither of the plots really amounted to anything so it felt really empty in the end. But of course this was an improvement over last week. 2/5.

EDIT: Who wrote/directed?
Written by Valentina L. Garza
Directed by Matthew Faughnan

The term 'couch gag' seems irrelevant these days. It's more like 'couch short' or 'couch cold open'. I'm sick of how they keep feeding us these little story couch gags where it tries so hard to be cute. Just let them run in dressed up as something and let's get the fuck on with the show.

I know. Whenever I hear someone mention "Couch Gag" these days I know think of the intro as "Running from the couch, gagging."

Back