• 3/5

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • 2/5

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • 1/5

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
A My favourite quote in this episode is:
Marge: Well, Grandpa, as long as you're here, we were telling a story that took place when Bart was five, and Lisa was three.
Abe: Oh, I know this story! The year was nineteen-ought-six. The President is the divine Miss Sarah Burnheart. And all over America, people were doin' a dance called the "Funky Grandpa"! [sings] Oh...I'm...the...[falls asleep standing up]

Last edited:
This is a great episode, from the All in the Family parody and especially the really emotional storyline. Homer has some great characterization. A

Flashbacks scenes are great. Present scenes are funny-but-silly (Apu) and sometimes they are not even funny (excuse me but I think most of Grandpa's jokes failed in this episode). Anyway I love the way Homer acts in the flashback scenes and also the fact that they reused characters like J. Loren Pryor. This is nice in therms of continuity and also it explained in a logical and funny way how Bart began his prankster career. It's a 4,5/5

Yes pure brilliant I love the episode...Bart's way of becoming a prank was genius. I hate school also and those darn teachers can't help you if you have a learning disability so I know how Bart feels, lousy teachers. I liked how everyone was giving their attention to Bart in the beginning and telling the story about his first day of school; even though they were suppose to be telling the story about Lisa's sax lol. Yah I loved the episode I give it an A+ defiantly a classic era episode.

Homer's foosball scene with David and The Screamer is one of the most brilliantly original moments in tv history

Although The Way We Weren't was good, this was the last really great flashback episode. 5/5.

Why does everybody love this episode? It's so overrated, the pacing's completely wrong and there were many (un)funny moments.

B-.

Massively overrated. However, it is still good.

7.5/10

Fantastic episode. To borrow one of Imperciph's most commonly said catch-phrases, it's one of the more bitter-sweet episodes of the series. It's bitter in showing how the wealth of the family prevented many dreams from happening, and showing the fairly brutal origins of Bart, but then sweet in showing how most of those dreams either occured, or never mattered in the first place. The origins of Bart and Lisa are explained in a clever manner, and the episode manages not to step at all into 80's nostalgia, which warrants a few points for effort. It's funny, sweet, and not at all bad. A-/B+

5/5 It's always great to see a flashback into The Simpsons past and this one was really good the reason for Lisa getting her sax was good as well as the Bart story.

The best of season 9. It's a bittersweet reflection and deconstruction of the family, and it also manages to be very heartwarming with the origin of Lisa's sax coming into light. Bart's harsh school days are pretty intriguing too.
4/5

Inamon said:
Why does everybody love this episode? It's so overrated, the pacing's completely wrong and there were many (un)funny moments.

B-.

The pacing was fine. Not as good previous flashback episodes were in that area, but certainly not terrible. If anything, the episode's biggest problem is that it felt like a bunch of random ideas rather than a singular story, which is a plotting issue more than anything else.

And where were the unfunny moments? Foosball, "added extra clap; not college material", Moleman running over the sax with a tricycle, Twin Peaks, the All In The Family parody, and so on. Plus, this is one of those wonderful episodes where it feels like you're watching an actual family, rather than a bunch of wacky cartoon characters. Great character models too.

An easy A.

One of my favorite episodes. It seems to have a good balance of a solid story, wacky jokes, good time-references for a flashback, and all that jazz. Particularly: "You lose Michelangelo's David, who's next"..... "MEEEE!!" with The Scream painting always gets me. The twin peaks reference is hilarious, as is Homer's quest for an air conditioner. Of particular note is the fact that the ending music montage featuring Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" is one of the few musical montages in the series I don't get tired of. Perhaps because it's so short, and maybe because I love the song, but it seems anymore there's a montage every episode, they go fairly long, and there's usually not a lot of funny things happening during them.

5/5 for sure.

Back