R&R Lisa the Simpson

rate!

• Total voters

Veryjammy

Stonecutter
I can't remember ever hearing this episode mentioned but I love it, it's my favourite of both Season 9, when it was aired, and Season 8 when it was produced. It continued the tradition of great Lisa episodes with a solid mix of emotion and humour, and a funny little B-Story too.

A

one of the best of the ninth season which is no surprise considering it was produced in season eight. A

Wan't this the last episode produced in season 8, it show's through the bizzare B story, it's very funny, but it has no connection to the main story and it doesn't have any Simpsons connection.
I kind of miss the fact that they don't seem to do such extensive stories with secondary characters anymore.
and Yes the emotion is great, makes Lisa very emphiable and very funny, especially the Simpsons extended family.
A

The final Oakley & Weinstein produced episode. I haven't seen it in a long time, but it was really good with a great subplot from what I remember. Too bad Ned Goldreyer didn't write more episodes, A- 4/5

Drunk Barney said:
Excellent episode. It's a shame stupid "HOMR" had to kinda muck it up

How did it muck it up? The Simpson gene is probably Grampa Simpson's ramblings, and Scully was never one for continuity

Meh. Some things were nicely done, but I'm not very fond of the Simpson gene idea. Also I dislike the way Lisa is almost scared of his own brother and father and the portrait of the other members of the Simpson family was too exagerated and wacky. I liked the reuse of the Jazz Hole and some other details but it was sonly slightly better than average overall. 3'5/5

For this episode I give 8/10 [4/5], solid, with plenty of laughs and good characterisation. Even though it bears no releation to the main story, I really like the sub-plot of Apu's Freak-E-Mart.

5/5 episode, one of Lisa's best. I could relate to the storyline (a decade ago I was a smart little boy, now I'm a juvenile delinquent), and it had a lot of great lines, especially in the Freak-E-Mart subplot.

Corkus said:
5/5

Best of Season 9, and possibly my favorite Lisa episode in the series.

But I've always wondered why Herb wasn't affected by the gene...

because continuity like that isn't important.

On the point of the unrelated subplot I just thought maybe it does somewhat tie into the episode thematically. After all the episode contains a fair amount on 'dumbing down'. You could argue that people flocking to the Freak-E-Mart to see a man in a freezer, a tin with no label and a baseball cap with a rude slogan on, followed by the Nude-E-Mart is a good example of dumbing down, even though it doesn't directly interfere with the main story. Of course I may be devising a tenuous link here but it makes a bit of sense.

There is just something really amusing about that sub-plot, and I love the main plot with Lisa thinking she's becoming dumb.

As for continuity, there's a theory that it skips a generation or my theory that it is like alcoholism where the potential is there but your not going to automatically become stupid

I think O&W explained it pretty well...with episodes like these, after you see them like 10 times there's just not much reason to watch anymore. I used to love it but now have almost no desire to see it again...I don't care about Lisa's conflict. The B-story is great though.

I think that it is a great, episode, possibly one of the very best centered around Lisa. It really reinforces the opinions that most of us have about Oakley and Weinstein, as it is both funny and emotionally resonant. Something that I also admire about this episode is that it was planned to be the last episode of their era (as pointed out on BOTH of the commentaries for this episode). It is a nice bookend not only to the Oakley and Weinstein era, but to the classic era in general.

always been my favourite of season 9. i've mentioned it on here a couple times before but i'm glad to see more people who appreciate it and think its a great episode. i was never really too keen on lisa episodes before but this episode sure changed my mind.

Back