Votes: 10 3.8%
  • 2/5 Who Wrote this Crap?

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 1/5 I'd Rather Watch the Scully Era

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters

Charmy

Stonecutter
This episode is commonly regarded as one of the best and, in many cases, THE best. But why? What are your reasons for loving this episode so? On the flip side, do you think this episode is overrated? Discuss it all here.

I think the reason this episode sits atop most people's lists is that it's an easily justifiable choice, and a popular one at that. It's quite possibly the best representation of the Simpsons versatility in humor. From slapstick, to parodies, to subtle character exchanges, to satire, the humor covers a lot of ground here and I don't think a single joke misses its mark. The plot however, is somewhat empty and lacks a bold statement or satirical point that other great episodes contain. Also, there's not that much emphasis on the characters either. It's all fairly simplistic and the only thing that really stays with me afterwards are the jokes. So for me, it's not a perfect episode but certainly one of the most, if not the most humorous episode and for that it deserves top thirty recognition at least.

Grade: A+

Last edited:
i was gonna to tell you how good LETS is, but i agree with Sloppy Jimbo XII points, so there's no point repeating them.

No. 3 on my all-time list. An Absoulte classic. A+

LETS Deserves It's praise. Nice to see one of the best episodes as the name of one of the (if not, THE) best website.

5/5

4.5/5

It is a great episode and filled with lots of fantastic moments, but I'm not too sure if it's THE best. Personally I consider episodes like Homer the Heretic, Homer at the Bat, and Lisa's Wedding to be much superior.

I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's sure up there. This episode does have a few itty-bitty flaws. Homer is a bit childish, and the plot itself is a tad off-kilter.
But it's hilarious, no doubt about it, and that's what makes the episode so loved. Mr. Burns' grinch parody, Homer thinking Burns is coming on to him, and Burns' flashback with his grandfather. It's all good. Certianly worthy of the name "classic."

A+

Not my favorite, but in my top 5. Fantastic episode. Very funny and a well-flowing plot. 10/10.

Overrated, for these reasons:

Sloppy Jimbo XII said:
The plot however, is somewhat empty and lacks a bold statement or satirical point that other great episodes contain. Also, there's not that much emphasis on the characters either.

4/5.

This episode is among my favorites and has a timeless hilarity. Like samples, character humor, sight gags, parody, absurdity are all thrown in a blender and delivered deftly one after another. The characterization remains likeable and intact, not being compromised for a gag. The story isn't ground-breaking, earth shattering, or any other cliched hyperbole I can think of, but it isn't any more or less meaningful than a joke driven episode has to be.

Last edited:
Tibor said:
This episode is among my favorites and has a timeless hilarity. Like samples, character humor, sight gags, parody, absurdity are all thrown in a blender and delivered deftly one after another. The characterization remains likeable and intact, not being compromised for a gag. The story isn't ground-breaking, earth shattering, or any other cliched hyperbole I can think of, but it isn't any more or less meaningful than a joke driven episode has to be.

Well put.

I see it as a very good episode, but not the best, and for that reason, I think it's a little overrated. A few people claimed to love this episode, and seemingly, the rest of the board jumped on the bandwagon. There's a wide variety of humor and jokes to enjoy, and you just have to love Homer and Burns' "bathroom" and "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" dialogs.

In my top 10, just, at #9. A+ deserving of its praise.

5/5!! My favorite episode. How many times have we had this poll?

This was a very good episode but not the funniest or greatest of all time. I do feel this episode is a little overrated. There were some good gags and jokes as well as some good satire. The song by Lisa was alright the first time around, but after the second and third listening, it started to get a little boring. This episode gets an 8/10 on the laugh-o-meter. Grade B+

Grade: A

A limited satire (businesses are exploitative and corrupt, unions are greedy and corrupt) that is practically summed up in Burns' flashback, but a great gag episode that ranks right up there with the best (though unlike many, I do find the "Lisa needs braces" sequence to be grating). To list just a sample of the gags: The opening with McBain, Lisa's Yellow Submarine fantasy, Burns and Smithers running the plant, Burns as the Grinch, Homer rolling on the floor as Curly, Homer's "is he coming onto me", Burns's strikebreakers, and the smartline discussion are among the many highlights. Not quite the funniest episode, and certainly not the deepest, but it does more than enough to qualify as a classic.

You're just saying that to get attention, Eggy. How pathetic. This episode is absoloutely brilliant, and anybody who dislikes it should be shot immediatly. I know I'm all against bitching about other people's opinions, but in this case, I don't care. 5/5 for the episode. This isn't my all-time favourite episode ever, but it is an extremely good one at that.

Eggy, you think no-one'll know you edited that?!!

YesMan said:
I don't care if people think I edited it... I seriously meant to put 4/5.

Who the @#$% are you?

Anyway, I'm starting to wish I did give this episode 1/5, because you peopel are so annoying.

What the bloody hell..

Why did you put 'and that's being generous' originally then?

Back