R&R Homer's Night Out

GFHDD

• Total voters

brody

May 6, 2005
Worst of Season 1, and embarassingly preachy. What annoys me the most is the way Marge acted about a photo that just showed Homer dancing with someone, it's not what I would call adultery. Homer's big speech at the end was really cringeworthy too. There was some good jokes sprinkled around, but it is still pretty lame. 2/5

I can't believe Jon Vitti wrote this. I didn't mind the preachiness of this episode; it was just done in a very unSimpson-like way. It was also unfunny and nothing like the Simpsons should be.

3/5 C+

I like it a bit, not too bad. Not heavy on the jokes but it showed an understanding side to Homer, he was geniunely trying to do the right thing at the end.

3/5 I don't think it's THAT bad,still there were some great moments. But after Marge "dumped" Homer,this episode got much worse.

- Why you little!
- Why you big!

Boring episode, even this early on the Homer/Marge conflict episodes were not necessarily good. Like others have noted, the whole basis of Marge throwing Homer out is just a bit absurd. While there is certainly logic to Marge's behavior, this one-mistake-and-out characterization seems a bit extreme in the context of the series, and the reasoning and rationalization for it (teaching Bart the picture demeans women) comes off as just a bit weak. Worse though is the ludicrous peachiness of this episode. The very idea that Homer's speech about women would touch so many people, and then to even see Marge get all teary eyed afterwards despite just seeing him dancing on stage with Princess Kashmir is not just baffling, it fails even the most basic ideas of what a "Simpsons" episode should be about. It's preachy, it's incredibly naive, and it is very unfunny. Redeemed somewhat by OK humor, the "female man" bit, some random Homer/Barney moments, much of the opening, but veering occasionally into the juvenile here too, particularly with Bart (his last lines especially). C-

That was the biggest piece of non clap-trap that never made me want to retch. LIES.

Not terrible by any means, but kinda goes downhill in the 3rd act. I don't mind the morality side of things but it's not very subtle and the message is probably over-shadowed by Marge's unrealistic outburst. However for story purposes, this one pulls up alright. This is pretty much a G-rated adultery episode, yet has it's moments.

I didn't really like the episode, but it wasn't terrible. It kind of threw me off that Apu didn't know Homer, but in Krusty gets Busted, they both know each other very well, anyways, it gets a 3/5

One of the worst as far as season 1 is concerned. Homer dancing with a stripper at a bachelor party hardly justifies Marge's reaction. Bart saves the episode with a few funny bits in the first and third act. C

*Shudder* i hate this episode like many have said it's preachy...very very very boring even for a simpsons episode, in fact they did it again in Life on the fast lane except it was Marge the one in trouble.

I REALLY, REALLY don't like this episode, it's boring, not funny at all and it was repeatedly shown on sky one, also making it over watched. It's the only episode I never want to see again, it's just so boring!

Emperor_Burns said:
*Shudder* i hate this episode like many have said it's preachy...very very very boring even for a simpsons episode, in fact they did it again in Life on the fast lane except it was Marge the one in trouble.

At least Life on the Fast Lane can be considered one of the BEST episodes in a season compared to this which is around the WORST.

This episode isn't one of my favorites...Marge's characterization was sort of off from what we had seen of her before. She overreacted a little in my opinion at the thought of Homer simply dancing with another woman. Of course, this was in 1990, so morals and family values were a little different back then, too. Overall, I'd give it a C+...barely.

marge overreacted, sure, but i still liked this episode a lot. i liked the flanders-esque father and son at the bachelor party, the bart/homer moments, and getting to see smithers on a date with a woman for once. :) overall, i thought it was not the funniest, but it definitely wasn't the worst of the season. probably actually one of the better ones.

SpikyHairedHooligan said:
marge overreacted, sure, but i still liked this episode a lot. i liked the flanders-esque father and son at the bachelor party, the bart/homer moments, and getting to see smithers on a date with a woman for once. :) overall, i thought it was not the funniest, but it definitely wasn't the worst of the season. probably actually one of the better ones.

I agree! I didn't think it was bad at all. I rather enjoyed it, actually. And I concur that Marge did overreact...after all, it was Princess Kashmir's job and Homer was not mistreating her, but the episode was still filled with some great moments and a memorable tone. And like you mentioned, Smithers on a date with a woman...! :-O :D

It really is a poor episode. Vitti has done SO much better even in the first season. 2/5

I thought it was pretty good. Not exactly a memorable episode but it had its moments. (4/5)

Back