R&R Homer The Smithers

How many marks out of ten is "Homer The Smithers"

• Total voters
4.5/5 Great episode.
My favorite joke:
frame077.jpg

Great episode, funny jokes, great jokes, and in my honest opinion Homer makes a WAY better assistant than Smithers :) 5/5

Homer prenting to be Mrs Burns as he tries calls Monty to get Smithers job back is glorious, the look of sheer anger on his face is priceless.

This episode is a clever satire on the Burns/Smithers relationship, and how unhealthy co-dependent they are with each other.

5/5

A very good episode overall, although it was kind of the forefront of Burns's transformation to a more senile character.

I'll give it a high 4/5.

Another fantastic episode from Season 7. Mr. Burns is hilarious in this episode, even if he is a bit out of character (to illusrate this, there is a pretty big contrast in his behaviour between this episode and Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One). He never would have been afraid of Lenny in that episode). Homer is also hilarious, as is Smithers. 8/10

huh never rated this one. 5/5 great season 7 material, as usual.

what i like:

-the end to act 2

-burns' office being on fire

-I told you I don't like ethnic foods!

-the ending

i don't remember a lot about this episode but it is pretty funny with a decent plot. 5/5

This is one of my favorite episodes of season 7. It was great seeing how ridiculously co-dependent Smithers and Burns are, and I liked the idea of Burns learning to fend for himself. I didn't think Mr Burns was too out-of-character either. I'm not a fan of the senile/frail/idiot Burns from newer episodes, but in this episode I think his frailness works because there's a reason for it. Even though Mr Burns is evil and cruel, in the end he is just an old man who wouldn't be able to defend himself against someone half his age. He might be able to boss Smithers around, but the average person wouldn't put up with that so it was nice seeing Homer give Burns what he deserves. And I loved the fight between Smithers and Homer. Who woulda thunk Smithers knows how to kick ass? lol

5/5

Outstanding episode. Perhaps the funniest episode the show has ever done. Pretty much every line is quotable, comic gold. Really great character study of Burns and Smithers and their dependence on each other. Its pretty much flawless. Great story, great animation (Homer and Smithers' fight in particular)... I can't say enough good things about this episode. Will do a full review soon. 10/10

After waking up from a nightmare at 3:00am I quickly needed something to cheer me up. So, I put on the next Simps' episode! This is the episode that was next in line and thank god for that. I was laughing hysterically at one point about 15 minutes later at the Barney and the Beer Truck joke. This is a very good episode! I will do a more in-depth review later today but I think this episode may have worked it's way into my top 5.
6/5 A++

So in Season 7, so far, we've had episodes which showcase dynamics either between the family members (Homer & Mona Simpson, Bart & Marge, Homer & Lisa) or other the citizens of Springfield (Bart & Krusty the Clown). And now, in Homer the Smithers, we have not one, not two, but three relationships - and as you can guessed it by the title - penned by the master auteur of comedy, John Swartzwelder - we get a focus on Burns & Smithers, Homer & Burns and finally, Homer & Smithers. And of course, much like other Swartzwelder episodes, it's another very hard sell.

Burns & Smithers are what perhaps can be considered the most loyal duo in The Simpsons. Smithers exists to aide, assist and serve Burns no matter what the situation, and Burns is always grateful for it. He could not imagine a life without his loyal aide. But, the turning point in Homer the Smithers arrives when Smithers unfortunately fails to aide Burns when he gets harassed by a drunken Lenny Leonard after a drag race. Smithers now feels like he's failed Burns and that he will never be able to forgive himself, which continues to be a confirmation next morning once Burns decides that Smithers needs a vacation.

So now, when Smithers tries to look for someone who will never be the perfect replacement in his shoes, he finds 714 employees to choose from. But of course, finding it a tough decision, Smithers picks the most obvious way out. Yes, as you can tell - Smithers chooses Homer as his substitute.

Which leads to the question: Is Homer even remotely as tolerable as Smithers in his role as Mr. Burns' aide? No, as one would expect, of course not. Right off the bat, Homer's lack of cooking shows how he can't even make the simplest breakfast for Mr. Burns as he causes chaos in the kitchen of his home mansion.

And of course, because Swartzwelder is now behind the script, expect a pack of running gags to keep your fancy. The primary gag with poor Burns at his old age, he continuously mistakes Homer for Smithers. And of course, to add even further salt to the wound, Burns continuously criticizes Homer every time for his wrong-doings, much to the point once he calls him a travesty, Homer officially snaps and punches Burns in the eye, now meaning Burns is officially left alone. No one to take care of him, no one to aide him, no one to serve him. Poor Homer. No matter how much he tried, even at one point just to get up at 4:30am to make Burns' breakfast, all his attempts continue to backfire due to Burns' seeing how Homer can't do a single thing with flying colors.

However, now what Homer the Smithers succeeds in is a study of how one man now must try to take care of himself with no one at his side. Burns has now developed a Homerphobia, being just afraid of even hearing the name "Homer". But in the end, Burns learns that fending for yourself isn't even that bad! He now instead expresses his gratitude to Homer so much that now poor Smithers gets fired even despite Burns forcing him to go on vacation.

This is where we get a rather unusual demonstration of two other characters who haven't been paired up before: Homer & Smithers. Homer consistently tries to help Smithers feel relevant again, so much that he can't even handle a single task of trying to get Mr. Burns's mother to call him and transfer the line but instead impersonates Mrs. Burns. All this leads to the ultimate catharsis where Homer & Smithers ensue in a fight (favorite moments including Smithers' fist getting stuck in Homer's stomach and Smithers using the safe to knock Homer out) where in the end, it results in Mr. Burns and his polar bear statue falling off and him getting heavily injured. Smithers's faith is now restored, knowing he is relevant and happy he gets to aide Mr. Burns whenever need be. And as a reward, Homer is rewarded with a fruit basket that simply says "Thank you". Well, golly, you're welcome Mr. Smithers!

Homer the Smithers is unsurprisingly another hit from John Swartzwelder. Packed with hard-hitting gags, a beautiful characterization for Homer, Mr. Burns and Smithers, it's a testament to how loyal one can be to his boss. Not only as an assistant, but also as a true friend. Now imagine if only other assistants could be as loyal as Smithers!

10/10

This is such a classic yet hilarious episode! The writing and quality in here is just fantastic! It was so worth it to see Homer working with Mr. Burns, and I'm loving Homer and Smithers' fight so far, as well as Homer yelling and punching Mr. Burns. The ending was also funny as well to me. I think this episode has such different charm to me that I like, and that's fantastic!

Overall, this is such a spotlight episode for Season 7! A+

Last edited:
Back