R & R: Homer at the Bat

Rate it

• 1 - I say, England's greatest Prime Minister was Lord Palmerston!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jayrayman

i did not hit her
Surely the funniest episode out of series 3? well it was for me a true classic. A +

I was about to justify my dislike for this as I have elsewhere, by saying I'm British, but now that Carolyn has given it 5 it seems I can't blame my nationality.

This is one of my 2 worst of Season 3, I have no interest in softball and I have no idea who any of the guest stars are. I don't find the fates that befall them particularly funny and this episode is proof that a recurring problem of the series of putting guest stars over plot started very early on indeed.

2/5

It was one of the classics, and I remember seeing it when it first ran, but I was not that big of a baseball fan, so I wasn't as much into it, so I give it a 4/5

No I don't think intrest in softball really enhances or decreases enjoyment of the episode. but I think it's a little overated as a gag episode A-

I don't know who Leeza Gibbons is, but...um, bad example.

I don't have much interest in Halloween, but I enjoy THOHs (usually). The point is, if the show takes on a subject you don't like, or use guest stars you don't know, doesn't subtract from the quality at all.

This episode was amazing, and you don't even really have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it. 10/10 I wish I could watch it again, it hasen't aired in a while on here, and I don't have it on tape.;

Clarence said:
This episode was amazing, and you don't even really have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it. 10/10 I wish I could watch it again, it hasen't aired in a while on here, and I don't have it on tape.;

Try the Viva Los Simpsons video/DVD, if it's avaliable in Canada.

I'm not actually going to pay for it, just try to catch it on tape if I can sometime. But thanks for the help.

Meh it must just be me then. I appreciate that with a lot of episodes you don't have to have an active interest in the subject matter but I find this episode tedious. A huge chunk of time is spent introducing the guest stars in a manner not entirely disimilar to the latter seasons 'look it's.....' and I don't find any of it particularly clever - the Springfield Mystery Spot, the house on fire, being arrested for unsolved murders, I find the whole thing unsatisfying and disjointed.

Ok you've persuaded me to go and rewatch it right this second, I had no idea it was so highly regarded by everyone. Not seen it in a while so we'll see....I'll be back in 22 minutes :D

Homer At The Bat - English but still think this episode is brilliant. Gags were great all round, I do agree its not all that clever but this is just one of those episodes where you can sit back and enjoy without disecting to bits its positive points and negative ones. A truly funny ep, thats about all I can say. A+

Forgot how ancient the Season 3 DVD menus look compared to the Season 5 ones....

Anyway I underrated it, I apologise. I still wouldn't call it a classic as I don't like the introductory chunks of the players and still don't really like the fate that befalls them but I forgot there were some very good gags inbetween.

1st act - 3.5
2nd act 4
3rd act - 3

Overall 3.5 I still think it's overrated but by no means as bad as I remembered.

The fates are some of the best part. I remember watching them and not being able to stop laughing...

The fates are good, but the song at the end makes it a classic ("talking softball"). Aswell as Mr Burns little dance which he uses to communicate to Homer.

Super-classic A+

Well, Mr. Burns had done it.
The power plant had won it.
With Roger Clemens clucking
all the while.
Mike Scioscia's tragic illness
made us smile.
While Wade Boggs lay unconscious on
the barroom tile.

We're talkin'...
Softball.
From Maine to San Diego.
Talking'...
Softball.
Mattingly and Canseco.

Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw.
Steve Sax and his run-in with the law.
We're talkin' Homer...
Ozzie, and the Straw.

We're talkin'...
Softball.
From Maine to San Diego.
Talkin'...
Softball.
Mattingly and Canseco.

Ken Griffey's grotesquely swollen jaw.
Steve Sax and his run-in with the law.
We're talkin' Homer...
Ozzie, and the Straw.

www.snpp.com

Homer at the Bat is one of the best ever episodes. Steve Sax being busted for no reason is priceless. A+

3/5

It was OKAY. The show had been doing wacky episodes long before Mike Scully took the reigns; I don't see why people are fine with wackey stories from Season 3, but not Season 12.

Normally I'd rank it 5/5, but it sounds like the kind of episode I'd like to watch at home with a big bag of potato chips, so I'll give it 3/3 (note the poll choice reads "3" rather than "3/5"). Perhaps being a baseball fan in 1992 would help, but I still liked Canseco, Clemens, and Strawberry's scenes, and enjoyed a hearty laugh at Mattingly's "Still like him better than Steinbrenner..." An overall enjoyable episode.

Semaj said:
3/5

It was OKAY. The show had been doing wacky episodes long before Mike Scully took the reigns; I don't see why people are fine with wackey stories from Season 3, but not Season 12.

Ton of famous people hired on a softball team of a rich person = Wacky, but fine.
Boy band sends subliminal messages to join the navy = Wacky, certainly not fine.

Handsome Peter said:
so I'll give it 3/3 (note the poll choice reads "3" rather than "3/5").

So does the 1 mean 1/1? :P

One of the greatest ever episodes... both How I Spent My Strummer Vacation and more recently Homer And Neds Hail Mary Pass have tried to equal it in the writing-a-quirky-part-for-a-celebrity stakes, but failed. Add some classic Burns and Smithers, Homer at his most likeable and the Talkin' Softball song.

Back