R&R: "Bart's Dog Gets An 'F'"

r&r

• Total voters
The second dullest episode in the second dullest season; season two.

2/5.

Great storytelling and heartwarming story. In spite of being clichéd, it works because it's a satiric but fond look at a conventional sitcom storyline. Done in a straightfaced manner it would not work so well. At the same time, the look is not cynical at all. It manages to have it all: the sensitive approach, with characters and situations that we can recognize, and the irreverent Simpson touch. It's not filled with jokes in every sentence, but it doesn't need them: the jokes are funny and they arrive naturally with the flow of the story, never feeling forced. You don't need over-the-top situations to make a classic Simpsons episode.

Rating: A

Well, its true that this episode does not have the best plot, and the ending feels like an deus-ex machina ending. But i still find this episode to be pretty entertaining, despite its plot. It does have some really funny moments like. Homer buying Lisas Magazines, these quotes were also things i laughed at. "Listen lady, it is not my dog. my dog is tied up in the back yard. I know because I tied him up myself. In fact, I'm looking at him right Doh!. or "Well, you bought all those smoke alarms, and we haven't had a single fire." or "I'm sorry, sir, our warranty doesn't cover fire, theft, or acts of dog." Lisa's description of her addition to the quilt and the animal house parody, were things i enjoyed too. I also liked the dramatic feel we get when Santas Little Helper eats things in the house. So basically, the caracterizetions and humor is fine, but the plot is not very good. Grade:B- So its it one of the worst of season 2? Probably, but its still an pretty entertaining episode.

8/10: Another solid episode featuring another simpsons character "santas little helper" other than the obvious ones. Even though is getting dumber as the series progresses he is still capable of showing some compassion and a caring father figure who disciplines his children, the opening table sequence for example with bart and lisa going at it. Or when he buys lisa her teen magazines. Homers voice [played by ned this time] convinces homer to spoil himself and buy those elaborate assassin sneakers. Thats where the show really begins to pick up as SLH gets ahold of them and rips them to shreds, he then proceeds to devour homers cookie and destroy marge's quilt which turns out to be the final straw. My favorite part of this episode are the sequences in obedience school as bart tries to show his dog discipline. " walk away, go sniff that other dogs butt"

I gather that this episode isn't a very popular one, although after my recent viewing I cannot share the majority sentiment. I understand where the criticism is coming from; the story is fairly predictable, standard sitcom affair and the humour isn't exactly out of the park, but it's a sweet, enjoyable episode and characterization is mostly on point so I can't really complain. Santa's Little Helper episodes generally aren't very well received, probably because he's... well, not very entertaining, despite being adorable. Still, I really like the POV moments we get from him, Marge and Lisa working on the quilt, and the penultimate scene in the garden with Bart and SLH.

8.5/10

I'm not surprised by those mixed reviews this episode received before mine. One of the biggest characteristics of seasons 1 and 2 were in the function it had to present the characters and their personalities and polishing the essence of the dysfunctional but loving family protagonist. But Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' failed in that and it became in one of the charmless and uninspired episodes from the beginning of the show.
DabqJ0P.jpg

One of the cruelest moments of The Simpsons to me.

At this point in the series, Santa's Little Helper already had had two really important appearances. He was who saved Simpsons Christmas arriving at the family after Homer's imminent failure in Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire. And he was the one who went along with Bart in his adventure outside the home in Bart vs. Thanksgiving. But this was the first time that a plot turns around the dog and his relationship with the family. I have to be honest: I usually don't like those stories. I mean, I can understand why the level is lower than an average episode. After all, they are writing about a simple and common pet. But I try to be fair and gauge each episode with the same criterion. And Santa's Little Helper is not as good as the protagonist. Especially here, where the story didn't have the best execution. The idea of him becoming in a troubled pet from nothing was forced. We never had hints of why the dog suddenly changes his personality. And the attempt of a sweet resolution was rushed and predictable. There is not a reasonable motive for which everything backs to the status quo beyond that excuse of the dog connecting with Bart because they played together. That did even more absurd the conflict because it was established that Santa's Little Helper is not a left or a forgotten pet. Bart always has played with the dog, so, it has not sensed that he obey the boy just for another afternoon together. The scenes under Santa's Little Helper's perspective were not catching. Instead, these were notorious fills and they didn't help to three development of the story. I enjoyed those brief moments of the dog shattering everything which appears in his pass. Homer's newspaper, Bart's Krusty's toy, the intromission in Seinfeld's pool, which allowed a great conversation between Sylvia and Homer, him changing TV channels and couldn't resist to a piece of cake.
KTxezY8.jpg

I've never realized that strange design of this but. What is it supposed to be?

I didn't like how they handled the Obedience school. For moments, it seems like they uphold animal abuse. It's true that the cruel system didn't work with Santa's Little Helper, but what about other pets that concur there? After all, the Obedience School is absolutely respectable for everyone, it gets positive results with each pet except Bart's one and it will continue with the same method after the experience of The Simpsons family. Yeah, an owner of a dog has to tie down it, but the way this School share is something which I disagree with. On the other hand, the character dedicated to Tracey Ullman was pretty uninspired. Her performance was a bit annoying for moments to me. I am not sure why. Maybe because she has a shrill voice and because Mrs. Winthrop is repulsive when she is authoritarian and forces Bart to strangle his dog. That kind of old woman who only cares about discipline and good-manners is bothersome, and Winthrop was one of them. I'd liked more the scene when Bart tried to pass the course without getting any progress if it wouldn't be shunted in Santa's Little Helper being mistreated. At least he used sarcasm when he called her "Wrinkled Highness". About the treat of the family with the dog, well, it was very polemical. I hate the idea of Homer and Marge trying to throw away the dog without any type of resentment but it was even too much worse when they according to sell him to a guy who accepts blatantly he would use the poor dog as a mule. I have to insist. This episode is really cruel with animals besides that sweet but forced moment between Bart and Santa's Little Helper.
kpesBmA.jpg

I don't know if it should be funny or satirical but it didn't work anyway.

Fortunately, this episode wasn't entirely about Santa's Little Helper, and they created two sub-plots that are related in the same way with the problem of the dog aforementioned. Someone gets something that is appreciated by them and that they don't want to lose, but the dog destroys it generating the disgrace in the family. A bit uninspired, if you ask me. One of those turned out in a failed story. The one starring Homer never worked for me. He had some moments of sweetness with his daughter, having a good conversation when Lisa was ill and being moved with his speech about Santa's Little Helper. But I can't emphasize with him through the rest of the time. Not only when he wants to throw away the dog like a piece of trash, being absolutely unlikable and annoying. Not either when he seems angry because the dog phased the test. It's also because his losses are incredibly stupid and superficial. He hates the dog from a stupid thing like a pair of slippers and a giant cookie. Sorry if I am insistent, but how was treated the dog is really a breakpoint between me and the episode. Ignoring that, the purchase of the assassins could've been just another wrong financial movement by Homer, while the acquisition of that cookie would have been another impulsive act of him. The same happened when he handed down the ID to Marge, lying, and inventing everything the reach his goal. Once again it would be funny but the context didn't allow me to enjoy it. On an aside note, I want to remark that Ned Flanders was a bit strange here. I can't believe he was using they assassins without any problem and enjoying that trivial spoil.
keYhCGX.jpg

A man who rather a cookie instead his dog is not a good man under any perspective.

If this episode is not a complete disaster, it was thanks to Lisa. Well, Bart had a great characterization too, but he didn't receive a good story to explore it. I'd say Marge too, but she had the same tedious attitude with Santa's Little Helper than Homer. Maybe she was just a bit more comprehensive than him. Anyhow, I wonder how it's possible that five generations of women Bouvier exist if the surname comes into from the father. Jacqueline, the mother of Marge, is not a Bouvier, and Lisa is not Bouvier, she is Simpson. The tradition doesn't add up. But, coming back with Lisa, I found her really likable here. She brought out the best from Homer making him reflect and sharing some nice father/daughter moments. She brought out the best from Marge learning to knit and finding something that joins them. She brought out the best from Bart with their typical discussions but supporting him which the affair of the dog. I loved how she confuses Bart about who'd go to school and when she discovers that Bart tried to gives his homework to Lisa. But it was not only about how she improves the virtues of her family. Also, everything she did was tender, acting like a truly eight-year-old girl. Her shyness after her father insinuated she kissed a boy, defending Snowball against the attack of Santa's Little Helper, the initiative to start a new quilt after the first one was destroyed. The character design when she has mumps what really cute and I could feel relatable with that situation and how the family tests her while she is diseased. It's impressive how well-written she was in contrast to the rest of the characters and the rest of the mumps.
Zhwj7Av.jpg

Thank you, Lisa, to give a bit of humanity and common sense in this awful story.

If I had to choose my least favorite episode from season 2, it would be a clear contender along with Dancin' Homer. Easily in my bottom3 of the Groening/Brooks/Simon era. Lack of Jokes, a simple and predictable story, and terrible characterizations. Only Bart and Lisa were in the correct place. I don't handle letter grades so good, but I'd say Bart's Dog Gets an 'F' is close to a 'D'. But in my typical ratings out of 5, I'll give it a:

2/5

Last edited:
Santa's Little Helper gets his first plot and it's kind of funny

I don't know what Homer's problem is he could always buy another cookie, I mean Marge has a real reason to be outraged about SLH's behaviour, Homer doesn't (except about the shoes, deciding that eating the cookie was the last straw is just dumb)

oh Hi Tracy Ullman, nice to know that you're over it enough to guest star on the show

There are problems here, but not enough to ruin the episode. There are a good amount of funny jokes and the stuff with Lisa and Marge is cute. Yeah the story drags at points and the ending is dumb, but I enjoyed this episode as a whole. 7/10

I would say that overall, this is certainly not one of the season's best efforts, but it still has a lot of good in it to be worthwhile (albeit as one of those middling filler episodes, more or less). Having a plot centered about Santa's Little Helper, the family dog, was not a bad idea and the basis of it (with him being very unruly and misbehaving to the point of the family deciding he needs to be seriously trained and send him to obedience school but he keeps being an issue) was pretty good, but it did not reach its fullest potential, being very middle of the road with the plotline and a bit lame, thin and uninteresting compared to most of the other season outings, yet it still has a lot of fun in it, ranging from many good and fun jokes and character moments (with the family members getting some nice scenes and interactions). For the first episode about the dog of the family it is an decent one, but better efforts have been done later on.

Already from the start there's a good glimpse of the upcoming plot, with Santa's Little Helper (SLH) refusing to let go of the newspaper which results in Homer tearing it in two, the dog is chained up in the yard, but breaks free and goes sightseeing throughout town before ending up in the Winfield's pool (Homer's denying reaction turning into realization was funny). Lisa being home sick from school (due a case of the mumps) had some nice moments, such as Homer picking up a magazine for he on his way home (also after that buying a pair of expensive $125 sneakers called "Assassins", a pair of which Flanders wore) & Marge introducting her to the patchwork quilt (a family heirloom Marge wants Lisa to add a patch to eventually). Meanwhile, SLH ends up chewing up the sneakers without a reason and it is decided he is to be sent to an obedience school (I liked how they gradually built up SLH's misbehavior while the rest of the plot was going on, not just in the first act or so).

Bart taking SLH to an obedience school (headed by the English lady Emily Winthrop, who is surprisingly cruel towards the dogs, not making her very likeable at all) had some good bits, but SLH doesn't seem to learn and the next victim is Homer's giant cookie which the dog gobbles up (that cookiee was a nice joke in itself, especially with Homer trying to fit it into a regular cookie jar) followed by the patchwork quilt which is torn to pieces (HOmer downplaying the quilt's demise before lamenting the loss of the cookie seconds was pretty funny). Homer demands they give away SLH nad Marge agrees but the kids defend the dog and the parents promises to keep the dog if he passes obedience school, which has Bart bend over backwards to make the dog pass (while Homer and Marge prepares to sell or give the dog away). There's some nice dramatic moments of Bart doing his best ot make the dog obey and sit and I liked Lisa starting to sew a new quilt (her storyline was one of the best parts).

Bart choosing to just play with SLH instead of forcing him to behave and saying goodbye was a nice climax though him randomly saying "sit" among his words and SLH obeying at the last minute (essentially) which makes him pass obedience school to the surprise of Winthrop (her "You son of a bitch" was a memorable moment, hard to believe they let that one slide in the show) felt quite easy and convenient for the plot. I would have liked something more clever and as it was here it made the end feel less earned, with the lack of better words (but I liked the epilogue statements, ending with how SLH bit Bart and Homer didn't care, which was kinda darkly funny, though I couldn't really buy into SLH being this extremely disobedient, as he semed well-behaved before this and no reason was given of his sudden change to what was seen in this episode).

I feel that the episode is a bit all over the place, having some good parts (such as the quilt plot thread, the drama being effective and the humor making much of the episode) and some less good parts (such as it not having an all too interesting plot, it starts dragging a litttle towards the end, there being sort of an mean-spirited tone running through the whole thing), but for such an uneven episode there is still a heart to it, some thoroughly solid moments throughout as well several funny gags that still holds up. Still, the later SLH episodes of the classic era were better as a whole and this one is one of the weakest season 2 episodes.

3/5

Last edited:
One of the least favorite episodes of Season 2! One part has Marge trying to teach Lisa how to sew, and what? She just tested out by feeling the sharp with her finger, which could hurt yourself, and burn it with a lighter. That is so freaking crazy and dumb, man! Also, the plot was terrifying! It's really that bad when Santa's Little Helper ruined Marge's beautiful quill, which made her cry, as well as other things he has done. Lisa did make another one, but not as good as the other one. Overall, this is probably not a good episode for sensitivity and something like this. Horrifyingly depressing for Season 2. Santa's Little Helper should be taught better! Oof! However, the episode does have some good parts. C+

Last edited:
There's 2 things in this episode that I am curious about.

1. Hibbert's extended family, in this episode, we see that he has a teenage kid & a baby, but the teenage daughter isn't seen at all after this episode, while the baby is only seen in one other episode, then disappears. Has anyone ever thought about them, personally, it would be nice to see them reintroduced (even thou I get it is a reference to The Cosby Show, with Hibbert's sweater and all). but if they're not gonna bring back Laura, it would of been interesting to see the teenage daughter brought back, hell, if they made Laura a recurring character, the teenage daughter could of been Laura's core friend similar to Bart & Milhouse.

2. As much as we complain about Lisa & Bart acting as teenagers, in this episode, Lisa asks Homer to get teen based magazines, which is something that I didn't think about until rewatching it now (currently have the episode paused so I can type this while its in my mind, cause I'll probably forget about it). I honestly do find it weird looking back, and I do look at it as a dark foreshadowing of what was to come in later seasons. Honestly, if I were Homer, I wouldn't be buying Lisa those magazines, she is WAY too young for them imo.

Back