R&R: "Bart The General"

rate, review, you know the drill

• Total voters
Possibly the funniest, and best-executed episode of the season. The plot isn't much, though, so it gets an A-

Really good episode and use of Grampa and guy who owns the military antiques store, forgetting his name at the moment. 5/5.
Herman

One of Abe's best early roles (I much prefer this to "Old Money"), as well as one of Bart's, really establishing the school setting and Nelson'c character as well.

Another one of my favorites of seaosn 1 and a great introduction to Nelson Muntz and Herman

5/5

3/5 boring.nelson wasn't good at all.where's his famous ha ha!the only plus is this that this episode began the era of bartman.my favourite era.

Still some of that Season 1 awkwardness, and what the hell was with the Bart-talking-to-the-camera ending?

Once you get past the flaws however, this was a very good episode, one of the best of Season 1, one of the first to show what comedy machines Homer and Grandpa can be, and an excellent appearance by Herman

4.5/5, A-

Classic episode. I love Bart's fourth-wall monologue at the end. Man, I need to blow the dust off my S1 DVDs and rewatch this!

This is one of those season 1 episodes that appeal for the nostalgia factor in the first place, but then, watching and rewatching them, remain consistent because of their great individual level. I agree with some people saying that it is a classic comparable to later episodes; it's a genuinely funny, well-driven plot with good characterizations and some amusing parodies. Bart and Nelson play solid roles here well-supported by the hilarious appearances of Abe or Herman.

But I'm not still enthusiastic about this episode. It has enough qualities to take me to that level by reviewing it, but for the time being I wouldn't say it's 10-worthy. Despite that, its quality deserves at least a 9.5/10.

It's the earliest episode that feels like a Simpsons episode to me, and could have been a bigger classic if it had been done in the second or third season after the bugs of season one had been smoothed out. Compare the giant leap forward in this show with the previous show, "There's No Disgrace Like Home". While an entertaining show with some good bits, "No Disgrace..." still feels like a half hour Tracy Ullman short. "Bart The General" show the potential for character development, storytelling, and gags that would be the hallmark of seasons 2-onward.

Still some of that Season 1 awkwardness, and what the hell was with the Bart-talking-to-the-camera ending?

Once you get past the flaws however, this was a very good episode, one of the best of Season 1, one of the first to show what comedy machines Homer and Grandpa can be, and an excellent appearance by Herman

4.5/5, A-

12.5/15

INTRODUCTION

Couch Gag: None
Chalkboard: None

GOOD GAGS

Homer: “Bart! You’re saying butt-kisser like it’s a bad thing…”
Homer: “It’s the three roads to success; work, brains and hmm?” (holds up a cupcake.)

Nelson: “You made me bleed my own blood.”

Skinner: “No, no, no, he’ll get you after class! Scoot young Simpson, there’s learning afoot.”

Homer: “So you had a little scuffle hey? Hope you won!”

Bart: “No, he’s pretty dumb…he’s in all the same special classes I am.”

Grandpa’s letter to the editor, including the list of words he never wants to hear again on t.v. (Bra, Party, and family jewels!)

March: I got a ‘B’ in arithmetic. Would’ve got an ‘A’ but I was sick
We are rubber, you are glue. It bounces off us and sticks to you.
In English class I did the best. Because I cheated on the test.
We are happy we are merry. We got a rhyming dictionary.

Grandpa pelts Homer with a balloon, “got him.”
Homer: “You! The tall, grey-haired kid, get down here!”

‘The Kiss’ with Lisa, “Ew! Knock it off.”

CHARACTERIZATION

Nelson’s two sidekicks don’t reappear much.

Herman is the boy that lost his arm on the bus that Ms. Krabapple warned the children about. I always liked his character as a real crazy military antiquities guy…

ANIMATION

Little x’s in Bart’s eyes…the cupcake no his forhead…it’s so pathetic!

Homer drying Bart’s eyes with the hair dryer!

One of the balloons pops in the boys hand. Good touch.

Some of the best animation of the first season.

OTHER

Bart’s little montage at the end about war was kinda funny.

Scale Rating 1-10: Not rating first season

Still not quite what the show had coming in the future but this episode works very well and is definitely in my top three for season 1. 4/5

4/5 - B

Accidentally voted 3, but meant 4. ;)

Anyway, pretty good episode, but I don't think it really deserves full marks. Again, there wasn't much wrong with it, but it just didn't give enough to get a 5.

One of the best from S1 if not the best. The episode is a great start for Swartzwelder but obviously not his best. Loved the nod to FMJ etc. A-

Ahh the introduction of Nelson and Grandpa (official appearance, although he appeared in the first episode). However, Nelson has yet to use his trademark laugh and Grandpa isn’t as much of an old coot as in the future, although I did laugh at his letter. Anyways, this episode is better appreciated if you’ve seen Patton, but it can be enjoyed without. Again, although it is short on laughs, like Bart the Genius, it is strong in the story department. And because of that fact, it’s highly re-watchable. 3/5

It's definitley my favourite Season 1 episode! 5/5.
P.S. If Farther Ted comes back, he should know that EVERY episode has a R&R for it and he shouldn't make a 2nd one for every one of them, which is why he got banned in the first place.

Review for Bart the General:

Let's get my first problem with this episode out the way my problem is that this episode is REALLY overrated. I mean it’s good but not 5/5 good or A+ material. Reception aside this episode is good. It was a good way to introduce Nelson (With a plot focused on him) Another reason it’s not great is that it takes the whole episode to build up to the final 4-5 minutes of action. There were no stand out jokes but it was not unfunny. So over all it’s not a bad episode it’s just to overrated.

Score for Bart the General: B-, 3.5/5, 7/10, Good

4/5
This episode is pretty solid. Keep in mind, this was season one, and they were just starting to establish the characters and their relationships. It wasn't the funniest episode ever, but that's not really the point. Personally, I'd like to see more episodes like this. A story like this for Homer would be great, and maybe help to get him back to what he used to be.
Officially, Bob Dole would give this a 5, but the presence of Wendell takes a point off.

4/5

Very solid episode with a great plot, very realistic and the first episode for me where Homer was truly in character. In fact, everyone is in character and I like the writing on Herman and Grampa. Plenty of good jokes and parodies of war films too. Not to mention the memorable trash can scene...

Back