Votes: 52 29.1%
  • 2/5

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • 1/5

Votes: 17 9.5%

• Total voters

Commander McCool

Monorail Conductor
If this thread has been done before, sorry, but I couldn't find it.

How do you rate this ep? I've only seen it once before all the way through, all the other times someone calls me and I miss it.

Consider yourself lucky Commander McCool. I change the channel when this one's on. It's just a subpar, typical Scully wacky Homer adventure and the plot is a bastardized version of "Trash of the Titans."

There are a few really good jokes here like "The Mayor" dream, the Phoney McRingRing video, Homer failing to chloroform the body guard, and the power outage scenes. Er, that's about it. Otherwise this episode is full of despicable characters and blatantly low-brow humor and is really pointless. Totally awful.

Personally, I think it's JS's best effort for season 12. Quibble: I also like "The Who", that's why I don't give it 4/5 but 5/5!

I love Trash Of The Titans, but this is really a less-funny, less-interesting carbon copy. Still, it's not bad, and good for a laugh or two or three or four.

Old review:
The episode had some decent dialogue, mainly spouted by Homer himself, and a very funny strangulation scene with a telephone cord, but the laughter count is surprisingly low. We have another self-gratifying guest appearance, this time from The Who, who, rather surprisingly, are credited as "The Who," without the individual names of the group. Good as they are, on the show, they added very little, except in their music breaking down the barrier dividing Old and New Springfield. The opening scene was little more than another tired excuse to have Homer get hurt. Seeing Homer's bodily organs did not disgust me, but like with him getting hit on the head with a glass bottle and being set on fire with flaming garbage, there's more injuries to add to the list. What's more, this episode was almost entirely a complete remake of Trash Of The Titans (Homer being angry, Homer gaining a respected position, Homer using a rock group to help him out, Homer's incompetence angering the townspeople, etcetera), except worse.

There were a lot of bad things about this episode, but there were also funny ones. If is another one of the Scully episodes were the promise was wasted. It would have been interesting to see real class warfare break out, but I think that good satire is too much to ask from Scully. Overall, not a good episode, but not as bad as some would make it seem. C-

3/5 or so...I find it quite funny. I don´t like the plot and I hate two or three gags (Homer´s organs, Homer with dynamite) but all in all it´s an enjoyable episode. Homer´s characterization is not So bad, there are "old Homer" lines in this one. The Who are not necesary to the plot but it´s a funny cameo, and that´s something, because there have been a lot of unfunny cameos in the last episodes. So, there are strange things but also good ideas and Swartzwelder´s style humor.

George Cauldron said:
We have another self-gratifying guest appearance, this time from The Who, who, rather surprisingly, are credited as "The Who," without the individual names of the group.

Probably to hide the fact that Pete Townshend didn't voice himself.

A horrible episode with only one or two good gags. Most of the gags fall flat and there is a pointless guest appearence by The Who. D

its a pointless episode. and now, knowing that Pete didn't voice the episode, it even more pointless.

blah blah blah

it sucks.
2/5

A guest appearence from the Who(with or without Pete Townshend) is pointless - certainly not when the episode's plot is a good one too(with enough gags).

Its encouraged that you edit posts as opposed to double posting.
yeah 1.5/2 I really hate this one you can throw all the usual criticisms but I hate this one more than other typically bad scully eps for some reason.

It's a Swartzwelder episode(and it's a very decent one), Scully is just the producer.

Unfortunately, this episode has been drilled into my head over and over again by my local Fox station and I must say that I now cringe at every thought of seeing it. In my opinion, it is painful and unnessecarily senseless plot.

I find A Tale Of Two Springfields unwatchable. It's the only episode of OFF apart from Maximum Homerdrive I couldn't even finish watching. Homer's characterisation is at all time low here : he is nothing but a raving loudmouth lunatic who lacks even one bit of brain, just acting on his zany antics. I really don't understand how people may find Homer chloroforming his own wife or deciding to be suicide bomber in order to make people believe his demands funny. Plethora of extremely tasteless gags like the infamous scene which shows Homer's stomach being ripped open and Kent Brockmans 'golden shower' followed by an oh-so heelarious "when badgers attack" ending makes this one a completely shit episode from beginning to the end.

Starts off pretty good, especially the idea about dividing the town. Slowly begins to die. It dies completely when The Who shows up. Even if I liked The Who, I still think I would've found it gratuitous. I admit, I do like the 'golden shower' joke. I don't mind jokes like that as long as they have double meanings.

Overall, probably a 2.5/5, around a C if I were to give a letter grade. I generally enjoy season 12 much more than the average person here, but this was one of the throwaway episodes of that season.

*bump*

Actually, this episode is hilarious and it grows on me the more I watch it. The whole run of Homer wearing dynamite at the town meeting was brilliant, and there are several other inspired moments that put it above the typical bland episode of season 11/12. You've got to watch this episode in a mindset of appreciating what it has to offer, not with a disposition of wanting to hate it due to all the typical Scully problems. Otherwise you're just blind to the great moments that it does have. At least that's the problem I had back when I thought "Scully is horrible, every episode is ruined by Homer, blah blah". Having said all that, the third act is pretty lame...way too much Who.

B-

It's alright. Pretty pointless. I wouldn't put it in my bottom twenty, nor my top 100, but it's watchable. 3.5/5

Back