Preview/Speculation MABF10 - The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed

Fox Executive

the original Sex Pistol
The_Greatest_Story_Ever_D%27ohed_Promotional_Image.jpg

Ned Flanders becomes frustrated with Homer and invites the Simpson family to join him a church retreat to Jerusalem. Homer is unappreciative of the culture, until a tour guide starts taking him around the city and Homer deludes himself into thinking he is the Messiah.

Take a shitty title with a greeeat pun, then add one of those 'Simpsons go to...'-plots combined with a 'Homer thinks he's...'-plot and you have yourself a nice crapfest. At least that's what it sounds like to me. I can't see how the writers could find a way to not make this episode look totally stupid. I am looking forward to Sacha Baron Cohen's apperance, though, hope at least his character can deliver a good joke or two.

When I first heard the title, I was hoping for a down to earth episode regarding something epic that occurs in Springfield. A fun adventure. This episode's description however sounds too risky for the current writers. It's gonna be like trying to balance 5 spinning plates while on a unicycle for about 22 minutes, where if you make a loud noise, you wake up a sleeping jackass Homer. Don't mess up...

Wow, just wow. Writers no, just no! You're not talented enough! 12 or so years ago maybe, but today no. Oh well, theres some contreversy surounding the episode i heard. Which might be a blessing in disguise. The Simpsons havent had contreversy in years. It might be enough to draw more viewers in.

Wow, just wow. Writers no, just no! You're not talented enough! 12 or so years ago maybe, but today no. Oh well, theres some contreversy surounding the episode i heard. Which might be a blessing in disguise. The Simpsons havent had contreversy in years. It might be enough to draw more viewers in.

What controversy are you talking about?

I got this in my e-mail a while ago, i just copied the text when i got it and forget where its from, sorry. :(
Anyways here's the article:

In an upcoming episode Homer Simpson will visit Jerusalem and contract Jerusalem Syndrome. This is a psychological condition where visitors to the Holy Land become convinced that they are biblical figures and Homer believes he's the Messiah. The Simpsons' overly aggressive Israeli tour guide is going to be none other than Sacha Baron Cohen (Borat, Bruno).

The episode is titled "The Greatest Story Ever D'ohed" and set to air on Fox March 28th which will coincide with Palm Sunday. The official description of the episode involves the Simpson family going on a church trip to the Holy Land.

In an interview, "The Simpsons" Executive Producer Al Jean states that Sacha Baron Cohen will play a "pretty angry but funny" Israeli tour guide. Jean promises this Easter special will "be a show that all faiths can come together and be offended by."

Jean also discloses that Cohen's character is "trying to get Marge to give him good grades on the comment card, and she goes, 'You people are pushy,' and he goes, 'What do you mean, you people? You try having Syria for a neighbor! What do you have – Canada?'"

"The Simpsons" has never been a family-friendly show, but this is going too far. As Christians we are appalled and this is not the first time the producers of this show have made poor decisions. Marge Simpson made the cover of "Playboy" magazine November 2009. And a 2002 episode where the family visited Rio de Janeiro sparked an official complaint from authorities in the Brazilian city.

This animated program has gone from inappropriate, to crude, to now offensive. Simpsons producer Jean doesn't seem to mind that we will be offended by this religiously-themed episode.

See, that's the thing i hate about those ultra-conservative watchdogs: They encourage people to watch shit.
And anyways, they have no fucking idea what the episode will be, so how the fuck do they know that the episode will be offensive? Do they still trust Jean's evaluations?

Great idea for Seasons 9 or 10, but now it's risky. I actually do hope they decide not to get tame and bit a tad offensive. In a way, I can imagine this being a good premise for American Dad or even Family Guy S1-3.

Fox Executive said:
See, that's the thing i hate about those ultra-conservative watchdogs: They encourage people to watch shit.
And anyways, they have no fucking idea what the episode will be, so how the fuck do they know that the episode will be offensive? Do they still trust Jean's evaluations?
It couldn't be that alot of it's fans use words like 'fuck' every few sentances like it was a garnish, could it? Nah.

The episode will be offensive because it has a religious theme. That's basically their reasoning. It's false logic like this, that got "The Puerto Rican Day" episode of Seinfeld banned from syndication in the United States, which is a damn shame because the episode isn't offensive at all.

Last edited:
I really think this will be a "just for fun" episode. I really like traveling episodes, especially ones those that revolve around Homer, because I think that they are wacky, funny and overall, simply fun to watch. I'm hoping this this will be no exception.

Really difficult to do it right, I must admit, and it's a vacation episode, which are always pretty silly. Still it's undeniable that there's a lot of potential in this plot, so if they manage to do it decently it could be interesting. I'd even go as far as saying that this plot, done right, would have been a good idea for The Simpsons Movie. Also , if that means something, we've heard news about this episode for a while, so here's hoping in that an elongated gestation is synonimous of a good episode. And even though I haven't watched anything with Sacha Baron Cohen in it (except for Sweeney Todd), I guess he will have some funny moments in it. At least The Father, The Son and The Holy Guest Star was a pretty funny take on religion, but that was some seasons ago.

Of all the episodes that have The Simpsons traveling to a foreign land, this could be the most controversial one yet.

I hope we don't get a huge number of 9/11 jokes. They have been kind to us to keep those to a minimum even despite we have had three episodes so far that were written due to 9/11 events [Bart Mangled Banner, G-I-(annoyed grunt), Mypods and Boomsticks].

Of all the episodes that have The Simpsons traveling to a foreign land, this could be the most controversial one yet.

I hope we don't get a huge number of 9/11 jokes. They have been kind to us to keep those to a minimum even despite we have had three episodes so far that were written due to 9/11 events [Bart Mangled Banner, G-I-(annoyed grunt), Mypods and Boomsticks].

No way. Ever heard of Blame it on Lisa?

Really difficult to do it right, I must admit, and it's a vacation episode, which are always pretty silly. Still it's undeniable that there's a lot of potential in this plot, so if they manage to do it decently it could be interesting. I'd even go as far as saying that this plot, done right, would have been a good idea for The Simpsons Movie. Also , if that means something, we've heard news about this episode for a while, so here's hoping in that an elongated gestation is synonimous of a good episode. And even though I haven't watched anything with Sacha Baron Cohen in it (except for Sweeney Todd), I guess he will have some funny moments in it. At least The Father, The Son and The Holy Guest Star was a pretty funny take on religion, but that was some seasons ago.

You're right, maybe this will not a trainwreck and will make me laugh a bit.

This is the first episode in a while that's actually grabbed my interest, and I'm dreading it. For one thing, I've never really enjoyed these vacation episodes. Not even the "church trip" interests me that much.

I do like jokes about faiths, but I'm pretty sure this episode will once again come across as Family Guy-light, because those jokes will come out of the clear blue just for the sake of offending people.

9/11 jokes are more Family Guy-esque, especially within the past couple seasons.

anyways, this episode sounds like it could be fun. homer could be very annoying though. sacha baron cohen's character could be interesting as well

This one was tailor made for me! My great hope is that no one else will watch this so I'll have it ALL to Myself!!

I totally expect being moved deeply on a secular level with this episode effort!
PrayGator.gif
..amen!

I wager Dan Castellaneta wrote this episode, based majorly on the fact that he wrote 'Kiss kiss bang bangalore'.

I really think this will be a "just for fun" episode. I really like traveling episodes, especially ones those that revolve around Homer, because I think that they are wacky, funny and overall, simply fun to watch. I'm hoping this this will be no exception.

Ah...the three words that try to pass off the current Simpsons as entertaining: "Just for fun". The entire series has been "Just for fun" since the 10th season. :rolleyes:

Sounds pretty bad, never liked the traveling shows much anyway, even in the ol' days.
Still, they've had 3 successes in a row, so, can't push our luck.

Back