Preview/Speculation LABF 20--"Once Upon a Time in Springfield"

hughes

Skeletor rising
OnceUponATimeInSpringfield.jpg

Krusty the Clown is forced to hire an actress named Princess Penelope for The Krusty the Clown Show to generate more young, female viewers. Krusty and Princess Penelope end up in a relationship.[3] Meanwhile, when Mr. Burns puts a stop to the free donuts at the plant to cut costs, Homer, Lenny and Carl decide to meet with a headhunter who specializes in nuclear workers and opens their eyes to opportunities free of donut-cutting measures.[4]

Nuclear Plant subplot! :headbang:

Just saw a brief promo, Mr. Burns outlaws doughnuts, causing Lenny, Homer, and Carl (in that order) to say "No!" "D'oh!" "Nuts!"

Looks decent

Hard to tell much from the story. I am however looking forward to seeing the 20 year anniversary documentary.

The episode looks decent but let's face it, they ALL look decent in the beginning and more than often they SUCK

I'm also peeved about the documentary which I was stoked for until I found out it's only one crummy hour WITH commercials!

2010 is not off to a good start

I think that the main plot and subplot sound good, so this will probably be a good episode. I am also looking forward to the documentary which I know is going to be great.

I saw an ad for this episode. We have one scene where a bunch of young girls are all dressed as princesses in Krusty's audience. (Dressing as a princess fad maybe?)

I think that the main plot and subplot sound good, so this will probably be a good episode. I am also looking forward to the documentary which I know is going to be great.

if well executed 

but I do think this episode could turn out decent, especially considering it's being announced as the 450th (yeah I know the last milestones episodes sucked, but still it's something)

I'm actually kind of looking foward to the documentary more to be honest

I'm thinking along the lines of a 2.5/5 or a 3/5. The main plot sounds a-bit flimsy to say the least.

With less than an hour to work with, I seriously doubt that the documentary will reveal any information which is not common knowledge here at NHC. Rather, it will be like watching the Behind the Music on your favorite band.

As for the episode, I don't think that it will hold anything novel. Rather it will likely be a collage of plots from a number of older episodes. But then, i like to approach modern episodes with a negative outlook.

Here's something from usatoday.com

•The best cartoon story ever told turns 20 this year with something of a mixed-bag celebration. Let's start with the good news: The episode The Simpsons(Fox, Sunday, 8 ET/PT) has produced itself — the 450th — is fresh and funny, and proof that age has not yet squelched the show's charms nor diminished its ability to attract big name guests (Anne Hathaway and Eartha Kitt).

•If only The Simpsons 20th Anniversary Special: In 3-D!On Ice! (8:30 ET/PT) were a quarter as good. Rather than a standard retrospective, Fox ordered up an exploration of the show's global reach from filmmaker Morgan Spurlock, who proceeded to make a film about himself, with The Simpsons as a secondary subject. Record it, watch the moments when the producers and cast members are speaking, and fast-forward through everything else.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/criticscorner/2010-01-07-critics-corner_N.htm

I kind of predicted Morgan would have the documentary focus on him. Too bad I don't have a DVR...

Seeing that this is a holdover episode, I'm hoping that a lot of effort was put into this episode. With Eartha Kitt listed as a guest star, this means that an early draft of the script for this episode was probably written in November 2008 (Kitt died in Dec. '08). Therefore, the storyline for this episode has been around for over a year, so I'm hoping that the staff didn't do a half-assed job (though it's likely they did).

Hopefully USA Today isn't another outlet that praises a new episode more than it deserves, but I'll keep an open mind on that.

I'm almost more interested in the documentary.

I'm neutral about the episode. The plot just doesn't sound very exciting to me, although I've the feeling it's going to be a good episode, not an excellent one, but something between 3-4/5. I think it would be quite better than Thursdays with Abie, although that's pretty easy.

Sad-respect3.gif
I wont be happy again till I can give this episode the "A" it deserves.... can someone float me a couple "A"'s till payday?

Back